Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When did Bend Ze Kneez become the BASI message board?

Poster: A snowHead
Can't help noticing that the majority of active threads here are now about various (political) angles of BASI/ISIA etc etc. Does BASI not have its own forums?

Anyone got any good video clips lately to have a look at?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, it has a facebook page but not a forum. Most long term SH's slate anyone who wants to talk technical so perhaps nobody is too interested in taking flack for posting here, it does get tedious to have to constantly defend wanting to talk about skiing on a ski forum so perhaps the BASI discussions are the only thing left ..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't be miserable.
Its the right place, the fact that few others bother to start technical discussions is not the fault of the professional snowheads, and I appreciate their input.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I love the technical discussions and find them useful, even at my lowly level of skiing. My only problem is when they turn into long-winded and unresolved argy-bargies about advanced geometry. As for the BASI issues, there seem to be lots of people on here who are instructors or would-be instructors, so why not? As it happens, although I have no desire to become an instructor, I find those discussions interesting too, because broad principles of European law - applicable to many professions, not just ski instructors - are at stake.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, here is a little clip of my mate venturing into a fun park without too much success. Any tips for him? Laughing
Turn up the volume and listen to the park attendents comments

http://youtube.com/v/QCZdNaLVCgc
cheers
Smag
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
smagsmith, More speed would seem to help.

I think the Eurotest stuff etc is quite interesting and I'm one of the biggest critics of "bad" technique debate where people end up fixated on semantics (inside/outside,uphill/downhill,weight/pressure) and don't realise that they are really in agreement. But video clips and pictures /diagrams can be very helpful and there are odd gems among the noise. Its a shame if this can't be maintained in the longer term.

Maybe the BASI stuff is just necessary to keep this section alive.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob,
Quote:

video clips and pictures /diagrams can be very helpful and there are odd gems among the noise. Its a shame if this can't be maintained in the longer term.
Totally agree with that.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It has to be said that I read a great deal of what is on SH's, but fatbob, I think its most odd that the one thread I have never been drawn to open is that one with the word 'interesting' in the title, i.e. 'interesting news regarding the eurotest' Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, Go on open it Very Happy It may change your life......
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, given that BZK is for discussing technique and instruction and BASI is the UK body overseeing that, the convergence is not so surprising and perfectly reasonable.
If BASI specific conversation is 'crowding out' other content then it would be reasonable to give it its own space but otherwise this would seem the right place for it.

skimottaret wrote:
Most long term SH's slate anyone who wants to talk technical
rolling eyes What a ridiculous (and rather whingey) assertion. When did you become boredsurfing in an instructor's jacket?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Personally i would like to thank snowHead for giving us a forum where we can discuss BASI issues, as BASI don't have a suitable forum.

I think some of the discussions on the 'interesting' thread and 'what is the point of an ISIA licence' thread have been very enlightening and have forced BASI into clarifying certain statements on their web site and think about some of their previous comments.

These threads may not be for everyone but neither are the endless threads on 'helmets' and 'the price of a spag bol'
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
admin, I agree that this is the right spot for it and its not as if its crowding out the mass of other content, was just reflecting on how it seems to have become a bit of a BASI whinging and/or comms forum when you'd think BASI would want to run some of this stuff themselves.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stewart woodward wrote:
... and have forced BASI into clarifying certain statements on their web site and think about some of their previous comments.

...and that IMV is the beauty & power of this forum. From beginners to pros, boarders, skiers, snowbladers all partake in the daily pilgrimage to this temple to snow ...and the long-haired one said let it be built, and it was done, for it was good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:
Does BASI not have its own forums?

No.

If there were no BASI type discussions here would there be a reason for instructors to visit? And then, just maybe, you would end up with a situation agreeing with the 3rd century BC Chinese monk Lao-Tzu (the founder of Taoism) who coined the, often copied, phrase “those who know don’t say and those who say don’t know”.

Just a thought wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm a recreational skier looking to improve my skiing technique, so regularly look at this forum. I wish there were more technique related threads here, but I certainly have no problem with the ski professionals discussioning the finer points of BASI politics, the Eurotest etc. After all, if these god-like beings choose to inhabit the forum at all, maybe they will also give us the benefit of their wisdom in technique realted matters.

Another point is that the 'political' threads tend to be pretty obvious, it's easy enough to skip them if you want to, and people seem to be pretty disciplined in keeping the 'political' stuff separated from the 'technical' stuff.

Also, I qute like the complex discussions of arcane bits of skiing physics, complete with force diagrams. I can't pretend to understand all of it, and I'm bloody certain that it has no effect on my actual skiing ability, but it does appeal to my inner geek Madeye-Smiley

So I say leave the forum as it is.
ski holidays
I too have no problem with technical discussions. Some I find relevant to me, and useful, though others are beyond me. Which is as it should be - they'd have to be too basic to interest experts if we were all to be able to understand them. Nobody is forced to read threads about BASI if they don't want to and such topics seem eminently suitable for SHs. On the other hand, as admin suggests, maybe the suggestion that significant numbers object to technical discussions is just plain wrong.

I don't see why anyone should get arsey about any ski-related topics, really. Don't like helmet or spag bol threads? Don't like inside/outside/uphill/downhill? Simple answer. wink I don't have a "problem" with threads which get bogged down in geometry either, I just don't read them. Some people clearly enjoy them.
ski holidays
Quote:

was just reflecting on how it seems to have become a bit of a BASI whinging and/or comms forum when you'd think BASI would want to run some of this stuff themselves.

fatbob,

BASI did for a time have a message board section on the website a long time ago, but it wasn't well used. When I started in my position we did discuss setting up a BASI forum, however my view is that it would be hard to get people to visit a site just to discuss BASI. BASI members were already discussing BASI related topics here on Snowheads, so it didn't seem likely to achieve much by trying to move them elesewhere. I'm pretty sure BASI members also contribute a lot to the forum in other areas, and thanks to admin of course, for making everyone feeling welcome Happy
snow report
smagsmith wrote:
fatbob, here is a little clip of my mate venturing into a fun park without too much success. Any tips for him? Laughing
Turn up the volume and listen to the park attendents comments
cheers
Smag

More speed could help, but the landing could also have been made at the same speed with a better take-off. The vision is down on the in-run contributing to bend at the waist. This contributes to a slight flexing of the legs during the transition and further flexing from the waist. From this position the skier is unable to make an extension at the end of the ramp which would have given more height/distance in a controlled and balanced fashion. There is a leg extension after the skier has left the ramp but that is too late and looks more like a reaction to being off-balance.

In terms of coaching tips, I would suggest simply "Keep your eyes up", "stand up taller" and then add "make a strong jumping move with the legs" once the first 2 have improved.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
Most long term SH's slate anyone who wants to talk technical so perhaps nobody is too interested in taking flack for posting here, it does get tedious to have to constantly defend wanting to talk about skiing on a ski forum

skimottaret you are a lovely fella and a huge plus to the forum, but that statement is overstated bummocks snowHead
snow conditions
skimottaret, ^^^^wot Frosty the Snowman, said.

B.t.w. Bummocks wants adding to the words that need inventing thread in Apres.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 10-05-11 10:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, yeah fair dues, "Most" was a pretty poor choice of words Embarassed and Graham picked me up on that as well... In a bad mood at the moment stuck on the couch with a sprained ankle and not getting a lot of sleep... But if i edit to say "it does get tedious to have to constantly defend wanting to talk technical about skiing on a ski forum" that is a fair reflection of my feeling. This has come up a few times over the years and if you scroll down BZK's you dont see many technical discussions any longer, why is that...

admin, not sure i am being 'whingey" I responded to the OP as the current BASI threads were started by me and although of interest to only a tiny subset of SH's I felt why shouldnt that sort of basi stuff be talked about here as you seem to agree with. i dont understand your comment about being bored in a jacket ?
snow conditions
skimottaret, get well soon. You must persist with the techy stuff, chin up, man up and persevere.
ski holidays
simon_bates, thanks mate I will pass that on. I wish Craig had filmed me doing the same jump. First time I attemped it I did pretty much the same and ended in a crumpled heap. Second time I landed it, but again did not make it to the down slope section for my landing.
latest report
I have noticed, not so much an over abundance of BASI threads, but rather a lack of other just general technical discussion threads. I do check in here from time to time, to see what you guys are up to. Lately, not much, so I just wander off again, without posting. If you guys would like me to, I'll throw out a topic to explore and discuss.
snow report
FastMan, I for one enjoy the discussions that result from your postings
snow conditions
FastMan, go for it.

fatbob, point taken. I don't look much in here either - similar reasons,
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy