Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning my 40th birthday trip so the contenders atm are Solden, Saalbach or somewhere in 3Vs. As we have never been to Austria I have looked into for a while now. Just wanted some thoughts on Solden in Austria. What do people think of it as a resort and is it good for boarders? It looks good and we have been recommended by some friends but they are all skiers so I wanted a boarders POV.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can not comment on Solden as I've never been there. It looks OK so def will visit sooner or later.

Saalbach is brilliant. Went there for my second week of boarding. Lots of long, intermediate runs. Modern lifts. Amazing views. And if you after some nightlife or apres ski it will not disappoint. The place is rocking.

It is lower than Solden so you will have to go there no later than mid March to be on the safe side.
In this aspect Solden should be more snowsure, however a bit smaller and mostly above the treeline.

Solden has the opinion of a bit male dominated resort. Probably as most of them anyway.
I certainly did not feel this in Saalbach, quite good ratio of females to males there. And a nice mix of nationalities.
(Swedish bar, etc.)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been to all 3 of the places you're considering more than once.

I'd rank them Solden, Saalbach then 3V. For me good nightlife is pretty important. If having loads of terrain is far more important then that order would be exactly reversed.

Everything that Tom W writes above about Saalbach could also apply to Solden. It's great for boarding. Good lift system and some really nice runs, particularly on the glaciers. It's high and snowsure. You can have a day out in Obergurgl (it's a short bus ride away). I've had trips to Solden and Saalbach where there was an OK ratio of men to women and then other trips where things have been a bit sausage heavy. Pot luck really.

Things to beware of in Solden. Most of the nightlife is around the Giggijoch. Some of the accommodation can be around 10-15 minutes walk from there. Try and get accommodation close to the Giggijoch if you can. The home runs are not for the faint hearted around 4pm. Taking the gondola down is an option, but there is a better one. Get the apres started at one of the huts up the mountain, wait till the crowds have gone and then head down into town to continue the apres. If you go early season then a head torch is a great investment, although they light the piste from the Gaislachkogl middle station down.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 4-05-11 15:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gainz, been to them all and for a 40th boarding birthday holiday I would say Solden & Sallbach in equal measure and then 3V coming in a solid 3rd. If very early or late season I would push Sallbach last as the pistes range from 1000 to 2000 meters.

Solden was great for boarders and had lots of side/between piste riding, plus I remember walking in to a bar quite late and stumbling upon athletic bikini clad ladies literally hanging from the rafters - god's honest truth - Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only been to Solden of the three. It appeared pretty good for boarding although its a habit I don't suffer from. Extremely lively apres ski, approaching St. Anton and Ischgl levels but not the most interesting skiing in the world. By Austrian standards its not very attractive. Its situated in a narrow valley with a busy road cut through it so you get a lot of through traffic. Because its narrow much of the accommodation is on the hillside so you have a steep walk at the end of the day or night, or if you're lazy like me a short taxi ride. All in all, not my favourite resort but I had a good time there and wouldn't hesitate to go back. Oh and not many British go there, good or bad depending on your point of view.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Corky,
Quote:
Its situated in a narrow valley with a busy road cut through it so you get a lot of through traffic
The only traffic you get going through is holiday traffic going up to Obergurgl in winter! rolling eyes The pass is closed from mid November through to the beginning of May

I agree with Raycoops - it's between Sölden and Saalbach with 3Vs a long way behind. Everything you want is on hand you have loads of Apres. I disagree about it being on a par with St Anton but it is a good party town. The party places lie between the two main lifts systems - Giggijoch and Gaiskogl with a wild variety catering for all tastes (or lack of wink ) When Raycoops was there the Gaiskogl was shut (cos it wuz bwoke Toofy Grin So they put in a new one! Very Happy )

I ski Saalbach-Hinterglemm quite often usually coming in from the Leogang side as I find the Saalbach approach depressing. I cannot find any redeeming features about the Saalbach village, sorry to all the fans it is boring and uninteresting. Hinterglemm is nice and Leogang is also nice, but Saalbach sucks. But you are only there to get canned I can see how the appearance and ambiance of the place takes second place.

Of the two places, I prefer the skiing at Sölden, even though it is further afield for me and I have to stay over when I go as it is just a tad too far for day trips. I skied Sölden this season for the first time in October and had a brilliant time. It never disappoints and I still have not managed to ski all the areas. I sometimes ski with friends who are boarders and they love the place, often going more times per season than I do. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:

The only traffic you get going through is holiday traffic going up to Obergurgl in winter! rolling eyes The pass is closed from mid November through to the beginning of May

No doubt true but when I was there there was certainly a lot of traffic. Oh and I didn't say the apres ski was on a par with St. Anton, only approaching it, which it is in my opinion.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh yes, I preferred Hinterglemm to Saalbach - quieter lifts in the morning and the Goatstal (spelling ?)bar just up on the mountain is good fun - very much like KK etc in St Anton

any one have a link to the Goatstal web page - great video on it Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Corky wrote:

No doubt true but when I was there there was certainly a lot of traffic.

There certainly can be a lot of traffic, particularly at the Giggijoch end of town. If you stay up past the Gaislachkogl then the traffic is considerably less. However then you are much further away from the best apres bars and nightlife. It's only really in the morning and late afternoon where it is mostly people driving to/from Solden or Obergurgl. It doesn't put me off returning, but equally somebody expecting a quiet, pretty Austrian village would be pretty disappointed if they turned up in Solden. Somebody who just wanted a good ski area and great nightlife will enjoy it immensely though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lager, yes, I would say that is about righht
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think I'm swaying over to Solden moreso now. Looks good and sounds great. I was looking at hotels but there seems to be a large amount of 4 or 5* but not many 3*. Any recommendations? I've looked at Tyrolerhof and Sunny hotels which look good though pricey.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gainz, Try Garni Hotels maybe. Usually there are plenty of them. B&B type so breakfasts only but could be 3* or 4* easily.
Accommodation standard is very high in Austria and I had no complains ever, even when staying in private small pensions.

Make sure you do a day trip to Obergurgl. You can buy a ski pass with one day included there. It is a nice and snow sure area as well.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gainz, look here for links etc http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54684&start=80

I stayed here a few seasons back http://www.hotel-am-hof.at/ - nice, clean, owned by a native of the village and quite central
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gainz, here is a blog from the week we did there a while back rayscoops, was on fine form table dancing, if you want to hit the skiing and boozing hard Soelden is hard to beat...

http://www.lesarcsapartment.com/Les_Arcs/Blog/Entries/2009/12/12_Inside_Out_Skiing_in_Solden.html
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy