Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY Splitboard

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I received an enquiry for binding inserts a few months ago from guy who was making his own splitboard. Asked to let me know the outcome & here it is. Nice job!
http://www.johncarolin.com/2011/05/malolo-ics-splitboard-waterjet-cut-steel-inside-edges-puderluderquiverkiller-inserts-alternative-hardware/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for posting that. I know a couple of people that have made splitboards, this guys the man. You might as well learn to ski though. Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What sort of binding arrangement is used on a split board ? The guy mentions a touring set up, but how does that resolve with snowboard bindings \ soft boots ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Voile 'Split Decision' binding kits used for DIY'ing here ... http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/forum/read.php?3,8061
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
moffatross, Cheers, looks like a neat solution. I had no idea a snowboard binding could go into 'walk' mode. Madeye-Smiley

Once everything is set back to 'snowboard' mode is it pretty stable \ rigid ? The bindings must help keep it all together.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We got chatting to a guy in La Grave and it turned out he was making his own split board as well. It was a monoboard though Smile.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
david@mediacopy, I haven't got a scooby about how rigid it would be once bound together although I know a few folk at winterhighland use them & their reports always report positively. Curious about how they'd feel when skin sliding & guess you'd swap feet so that the curved, sharp metal edges rather than the straight, blunt epoxied ones were on the inside. When odd bits of downhill aren't worth the time and effort of stripping skins off before linking to the next climb, I'm just about comfortable with overcoming friction & making turns with skins on. As I've never known anything other than 'carvers' though, I'm sure a blunt straight edge on one side & a non-symmetrical shape would throw me right off. Toofy Grin

el nombre, cut in half, that would make cross-country skis wouldn't it. Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

when skin sliding & guess you'd swap feet so that the curved, sharp metal edges rather than the straight, blunt epoxied ones were on the inside

Yeah that's the normal way although not required if you've put a decent edge on the inside, in fact a straight one will probably grip more. On my (non-DIY) split you use the skis backwards as the shape tracks better in a skin track that way.

I considered the DIY approach but was concerned about how cutting the board would affect the torsional rigidity. TBH an off the shelf split in noticeably over-flexible already so I don't know how much worse it could be. It's also not that much cheaper if you need to buy a board to split too. OTOH it looks a fun project.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moffatross wrote:
el nombre, cut in half, that would make cross-country skis wouldn't it. Laughing

I can't tell if you're joking, the smiley would imply you are but I don't really get the joke and if you're not by that theory surely any touring kit is a set of cross country skis.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
el nombre, yep, I thought I was being funny but actually I was just being ignorant. Embarassed I'd always assumed a mono ski was about 100 mm at the waist so one cut in half would have made two planks each about the width of a traditional herring boned cross country ski. I've googled & discovered they're at least twice as fat.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We're still cutting with the waterjet. This year we've improved the process for an even narrower cut. Also, we've improved our inside edge installation process. We believe physically our boards are fitting together noticeably better than other splitboards (including factory splitboards) and we stand by the claim that it's better (and less expensive) to make a splitboard from a complete snowboard than pressing the two halves as separate pieces. Factory splitboards are still pressed as separate pieces.

We've moved out of our snocon location to our own dedicated facility this year. We are open sat-sun 11-5 and we're taking shipped snowboards from all over the world!

sicksplits.com

facebook/sicksplits

(206) 317-4632

Suite 209
(around the back of the old brewery)
5840 Airport Way S
Seattle, Wa 98108
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy