Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

all reactions welcome - salomon V12 crossmax - any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
...have searched Snowheads and the Web, but can't find much on the qualities of these skis (other than the act that they are GCs with different graphics?) - I've acquired a pair (swaps and exchanges in operation) but too late in the season to get onto them and they require a bit of repair. Interested to know if they are any good or whether they should go in the rock ski pile in the garage....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi
I have owned a pair of Salomon Crossmax V12's for about 4 seasons now and absolutely love them. Ok so show them a slush fest like I experienced in Morzine in late March this year and they did struggle as the surface area of the ski is not the greatest. However, I also ski them in Les Menuires each January when the snow is firmer and they are excellent. They will hold a carve beautifully but I also use them for short swing turns down the fall line. I stepped up for Crossmax 8's to these and have not skied another ski I like as much so at the moment have no plans to change them. I did try the Salomom Aero last year and quite liked them but somehow they were still not as good as the V12's.
So service them up and give them a go. You will be in a fairly unique club as you very rarely see another pair on the slopes. Be interesting to hear what you think after taking them for a spin.
Regards
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
...very helpful indeed - your post means that they are saved from the 'rock ski' pile.

I picked up from one review that they weren't great in short turns (which I REALLY like indulging in) and was a bit worried, but your comments have reassured me. I have also heard comments that they can be a temperamental regarding catching edges - any experience of that?

Slightly spooky aspect of your post is that I also had a pair of crossmax 8s in 150 as a precursor ski - but lost them when they got switched (by accident I think) for a pair of 160s on a bubble-lift, this Christmas. Was very pleased to blag the 154 V12s as a replacement. Once again, very helpful post.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi

Glad to hear that they have been saved to ski another season ! Very Happy

My V12's are 178cm long so as I say if you show them heavy slush they are not great. I have to confess that I did actually stick them in the ski locker on day three of my recent Morzine trip and take a pair of Rossignol Bandits out instead that were able to cope with the slush better. On the groomed the V12's are excellent in my opinion and I have not found them too much of a handful in any situation, certainly not had any instances of the edges catching. I find they are quite happy to be skiied relatively sedately but will also come alive if you push them along.

Strange that you also had a pair of Crossmax 8's. I'm sure that once you find a ski you really like you tend to stick with that genre. I am fortunate in that I still have my 8's lurking in the attic. Might even be tempted to revisit them in a few years once they become a retro classic !

So enjoy the V12's and keep in touch once the snow falls again as it would be really interesting to hear how you get on with them.

Regards
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
valais2, What year? They are pretty much a punter GS ski with fancy graphics, some of the versions have been super but one or two of the editons have not been as good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Valais2

To clarify the V12's I'm on are the 2007 model with the Orange and White Piston graphics.

Griggs
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fattes13, and griggs too - this sounds like good news since I have the 2007 orange ones - fattes are these a 'good year' ski? The reviews suggest that this was the year that Salomon switched back to a full wood core for this model.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the ones I had in 2009 and 2010 were V12 with a metallic green/yellow graphic and the pistons (tried to find a picture but no luck sorry). If they're same ones then I thought they were a great on piste ski for me. I had 170cm skis and had no problems. The only instances of edge catching were due to my incompetence Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Valais2

Did you ever service up the V12's and take them out for a spin? Be interesting to hear what you thought of them.

I used mine in Les Arcs in January and they were as good as ever. Off to Alpe D'Huez in a couple of weeks time with them as well. Am considering a possible change next year but am still very undecided on what to go for next. I did ski some Atomic SX9's a number of years back whilst I was still on the Salomon Crossmax 8's and I have to say I thought they were excellent. Maybe something from the Atomic stable could be the right direction.
Griggs
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Griggs, ...thanks for keeping this thread alive! Haven't been on them, since I was waiting for a replacement part for the bindings, so they are still in deep hibernation in the boiler room in the chalet. They've been tuned, waxed, and bases filled so are ready for a weekend in a couple of weeks' time when a friend will be on them. I'll maybe blag them some time over the weekend and have a go on them. I'll report back. They LOOK good, hope they ARE good.....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Valais2

Just hung my skis up at the end of the season and was wondering if you ever got to take the Crossmax V12's out. Skiied mine twice this year - once in the glorious January window when the snow was amazing in Les Arcs and then later in March in Alpe D'Huez. Also managed to get a sneaky weekend in at the end of April in Val Thorens where I hired some skis in resort. I can safey say that the V12's remain the weapon of choice for me and will be defintely taking to the slopes again with me next season.
Griggs
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy