Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rights of way - look out above

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, this kind of thing, which I agree is highly prevalent, is all the more 'entertaining' when your own exit off the motorway is imminent. I risk life and limb every time I drive to Hemel on the M1, as the relevant exit coincides with people joining the M1 from the M25. A lot of people. And the exit is really very shortly after the access for the incoming traffic. Since most of those drivers are behaving in the way in which you describe ie going like the clappers and not bothering to look in their mirrors and therefore not seeing that you are indicating left, getting off the M1 is a bloomin' nightmare.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, saw that type of Motorway driving last Thursday except the chap was trying to do it vs 2 lorries, not clever, he had to break hard at the last second to avoid an accident, the driver of the car I was in was already slowing down in anticipation of what might have occurred.

Have been the victim of an out of control skier before (he was straight lining a red run) fortunately he only hit me a glancing blow and with me being a big chap he came of worst as he carried on down the slope for the next couple of hundred yards end over end, multiple witnesses all started laughing at him once they had made certain both I and he were ok, I got away with a light bruise to my left arm but he must have been black and blue all over.

Poor self control by skiers and borders is probably the biggest cause of snow sports accidents, a lot I suspect has to do with peoples attitudes towards ski type holidays, wanting to run before they can walk so to speak, when I learnt to ski (all those decades ago) attitudes were different, people did not go skiing off on their own unless they were very experienced, even competent skiers would stay with the ski school both as a social thing and to learn new skills, now I'm told snow board classes often finish by 3 days in as the boarders think they know everything and want to get off the baby slopes and skiers are not much better.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, People joining the motorway regardless has become so endemic that I even checked the Highway Code recently just to make sure the rules had not changed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Red Leon wrote:
narc wrote:
....traversing the entire width of a slope at a shallow angle

But those are the most predictable of skiiers (and occasionally) boarders and are, as a consequence, easily avoided. Why would they cause you any concern?

Because they are taking a significantly different line to most skier traffic. While skiing it's impossible to have almost 180 degree vision to see if someone is about to come out at you almost 90 degrees to your direction of travel.

This is why blue runs are so dangerous, you have the widest variation of line and speed on one slope and it just doesn't work well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
narc wrote:

This is why blue runs are so dangerous, you have the widest variation of line and speed on one slope and it just doesn't work well.

The only thing that is dangerous about blue runs are people skiing/boarding way too fast for their skill set. If people ski within their comfort zone taking consideration for ALL around them then the pistes would be much safer.

One thing that really pee's me off is people who have more speed than skill schussing beginners on an empty piste. Why Puzzled do they feel the need.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Keep a pack of British mince in your bag to throw at vile frenchies who offend you. They still fear the beef!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
You're driving along in the inside lane, biggish gap behind you, and some dork is joing the motorway, and on a collision course. Clearly they should slow down and slot into the gap behind (or speed up and get in front of you, if the speed limit permits).

One thing that annoys me.

I am joining the motorway during my 50k a year travels and someone is tootling along on the inside lane, I either have to accelerate aggresively to get safely infront, or brake to go behind. Now don't get me wrong if the tootler has a 20 ton Artic coming down the 2nd lane at a faster speed fair enough hold your line and the entering driver needs to drive accordingly. But if there is nothing else on the motorway the tootler must pull into the second lane to allow you to enter the motorway.

Now the thing that really really annoys me. Someone is tootling along in the first lane (outer lanes empty) and when they realise you are accelerating to get in front rather than braking to go behind, said tootler decides they are having none of it and suddenly start accelerating themselves.

Etiquette, it has it's place on the piste and on the motorway. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

But if there is nothing else on the motorway the tootler must pull into the second lane to allow you to enter the motorway.

Oh really? Who says? If there is "nothing else on the motorway" you can readily judge whether to pull on ahead, or behind, the "tootler". If you find yourself either having to accelerate aggressively or brake then you misjudged your approach speed, and it's hardly the "tootlers" fault. The geometry of motorway junctions always gives you a decent time to watch the approaching traffic on the motorway and adjust your speed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

But if there is nothing else on the motorway the tootler must pull into the second lane to allow you to enter the motorway.

Oh really? Who says?

Me snowHead If you are going down the motorway, you should always be fully aware of the traffic around you, mirror's they are not just for putting lippy on you know. If as the driver already on the motorway you can see you will be at a similar point as the entering driver, pull into the second lane and give thewm a flash of the lights. You will find this is usually acknowledged by a friendly wave.

As I said etiquette, it has it's place on the roads as well as the piste . wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, Any bloody excuse to name drop that you've been too busy on t'other side of pond to patronise the European ski scene. wink

But "complete closterfock" is indeed the perfect description....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski like you would drive, no problems. If you're uphill, it's your job to avoid the downhill skier (like if you're too close to the car in front to brake in time, it's your fault). Which is why James the Last was at fault, and whyspud shouldn't complain, just leave enough room for them to do anything that they might possibly do. If you're starting off/joining a new piste (like joining a main road or pulling off from a parking space), you check what everyone who is already moving is doing, a la simon_bates.

narc's point is more interesting. On a blue, no-one would comment on this, although plenty of people would comment on someone skiing a black run like that: "oooohh they shouldn't be on that run, they're a danger to themselves and others." Screw that, let them break themselves if they want, they can take responsibility for themselves - just stay out the way, don't worry about it and keep yourself safe.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999, I'd generally agree, but there is a point where people can be a serious danger to others if they can't cope with the slope. I believe there have been some very bad incidents on The Wall in the PdS for example, with people killed by a skier falling from above. Though that may be an urban myth. And statistically I'd guess far more nasty accidents are caused by people skiing too fast on blue pistes. They might be very skilful skiers but good skiers can ski too fast too (just as skilful drivers can drive too fast).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AndrewBailey wrote:
Quote:

The biggest problem i've encountered, is passing Snowboarders. You haven't got the foggiest idea which way they are going to turn

Oh so true. I have to leave a massive gap as I pass. Just wish they would return the favour.

crossing pistes or turning off them is so much safer if boarders stick their left arm out to indicate they are turning towards their blind spot.. (oppo for goofy).. its not hard to make it obvious your performing a manouvre thats a bit out of the ordianary
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel wrote:
pam w wrote:
You're driving along in the inside lane, biggish gap behind you, and some dork is joing the motorway, and on a collision course. Clearly they should slow down and slot into the gap behind (or speed up and get in front of you, if the speed limit permits).

One thing that annoys me.

I am joining the motorway during my 50k a year travels and someone is tootling along on the inside lane, I either have to accelerate aggresively to get safely infront, or brake to go behind. Now don't get me wrong if the tootler has a 20 ton Artic coming down the 2nd lane at a faster speed fair enough hold your line and the entering driver needs to drive accordingly. But if there is nothing else on the motorway the tootler must pull into the second lane to allow you to enter the motorway.

Now the thing that really really annoys me. Someone is tootling along in the first lane (outer lanes empty) and when they realise you are accelerating to get in front rather than braking to go behind, said tootler decides they are having none of it and suddenly start accelerating themselves.

Etiquette, it has it's place on the piste and on the motorway. wink

I agree... people who hog the outside lane on a slip bend and then brake. I undertake them... much safer... brake before bends not during as tyres can only do so much. I'm fairly happy doing tight bends at 90 in the dry and then to find some f*ckwit slamming on when nothing is in the inside lane.. shoot the lot of them Laughing

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 11-05-11 20:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
Which is why James the Last was at fault,

He was; but the person he hit lost control which is why the accident happened. And James the Last was going too quickly to stop on a pinhead.

(But he was French and I was on his left, which according to the French is an acceptable way to overtake...) rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:
And James the Last was going too quickly to stop on a pinhead.

just give up already....
ski holidays
I am French, and I have never ever heard of this priority to the left malarkey...

As far as I know and was taught, it's the uphill skier that has responsibility. End of..

I do genuinely sympathise with people caught out by unexpected lines of other skiers though.
My scariest fall ever was at high speed down a steep red piste section: as I turned up at the top of said section with a bit of speed already, only one other skier was already going down it in the middle, in a straight line. I wanted more speed so tucked in, went down the complete left of the piste and went for it, planning to leave a gap of about 6 meters between 1st skier and myself when I would overtake her... Except she did a very hard and fast left at the last minute ( I assume she got scared of her own speed) all the way to the left of piste. I barely had time to react, extremely hard right from me, I did avoid her but then a ski caught and I ended up in a high speed crash an in a heap at the bottom of the steep section, with gear spread out all over... while she trundled pas unaware I think of what had happened...quite painful for me as well..
In truth I was upset at her but it'd still have been my fault..
ski holidays
Quote:

The geometry of motorway junctions always gives you a decent time to watch the approaching traffic on the motorway and adjust your speed.

There are many junctions where this isn't true. Motorway design started in the mid '60s and has evolved since. Many places haven't been updated. Most of the M8 through Glasgow for starters.

Ever tried jct 34 M6 Northbound? Practically a T-junction onto a major motorway at the bottom of a valley. Traffic speeding downhill as they can see the fairly steep uphill coming. With >5 miles to the next junction in either direction many people don't expect joining traffic to be doing <10mph! The view of the joining traffic is hidden by HGVs coming off at same junction and the massive warning signs erected to slow the exiting traffic for the two 90deg bends on the exit slip road.

Quote:

I risk life and limb every time I drive to Hemel on the M1, as the relevant exit coincides with people joining the M1 from the M25.

Going to work I have to come off M56 directly after all the traffic joins from the M60. Even worse is coming home. As I join the M56, quite frequently Lane 1 is stationary, Lane 2 - 10mph, Lane 3 - 50mph, Lane 4 - 70mph. And I need to get immediately into one of the outside 2 lanes to avoid getting stuck on the wrong motorway. Skullie

Now back to moaning about stupid idiot Frenchies bombing down narrow home runs please. rolling eyes
snow conditions
On busy slopes with junctions I have started to point in the direction I intend to go, it seems a bit grandpa-ish but if it helps a skier above me judge their route better it seems a price worth paying. I also wear a helmet and am considering wrapping myself from head to toe in bubblewrap...but that has nothing to do with skiing so I will leave any further discussion on that point to a more "appropriate" forum!
People starting from below without checking uphill really get on my tits and the mini Psychos are regularly reminded of this requirement by their increasingl grumpy dad snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy