Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Investing in the Mountains

Poster: A snowHead
Bode Swiller, es ist mir wurst wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes Cuisine is a take away noodles bar and its terrace seating is packed with Brits every day. Great grub for €5-8.

I have only seen Brits there and there would be no room for Russians, les Belgiques or any other Johnny Foreigner types, were they to even like noodles.

I think the pasty shop is a great idea.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To the French, a savoury pastie or pie is an alien concept. We once had an exchangee staying, who horrified her parents by telling them she had eaten Tarte aux Rognons in England for her main course (steak and kidny pie / pudding, to us) For them, anything in pastry, such as a pie, is seen as a dessert!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Love the sound of a Pasty bar also a couple of my lads seassonaire mates were looking at a mobile Indian takeaway van that went from resort to resort each day, which I thought could be a great idea

Peter Leuzzi, the chalet idea tho sounds the best, we have some plans for a year round Snowshepherd chalet, maybe we should talk?? Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
I like the idea of owning something or investing in something in the mountains that makes these trips and more more productive with more purpose.

Personally I'd rather spend my time in the mountains skiing and relaxing, any business activities would only get in the way. I know a few people who own businesses in ski resorts and they always seem to be too busy to go skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stephen buck, Raymond Blanc made a pie in a recent series. I've had a pie in a restaurant in Serre Che, it's apparently a local dish.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can get Pukka Pies at the snack place at the bottom of the Verte run in La Daille - they were sold out when we were there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Come to think if it, a quiche is not a dessert either.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, what about Tourtiere as well (French Canadian, but still...)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Add Pasty Chicken Tikka Masala and you have the Brit market covered....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Peter Leuzzi, I think Lizzard, has just made you the best / most sensible / realistic offer you are likely to get. Toofy Grin

Peter Leuzzi, I rest my case! Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells, interesting... do they call it a "tarte" or do they have another name, I wonder?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does anyone remember the series where some Brits set up a curry house in France? It folded after a few months - they reckoned it was becase wine (esp red) and curry don't go!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stephen buck, no idea, but there was pastry (top and bottom), potatoes and ham.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stephen buck, more likely to be because the French a) tend to be a bit conservative on the food front and b) hate anything spicy.
ski holidays
The perfect alpine business for a snowHead would surely be hot air balooning.
snow report
livetoski, please PM me your email address.

Thanks everyone - none of the ideas are particularly appetising wink and was thinking more along the lines of something like child care, a chalet, transfers etc

If anyone has any sensible ideas along those lines please feel free to PM me and we can speak.
snow conditions
Lizzard, Also, India was of course a British colony, so curry was imported here, whereas the French tend to go more for N African type food, where some of their colonies were.
snow report
I've eaten curries in French restaurants and they've always lacked a little of the vitality of those from home.
From this limited random sampling I would tend to concur with Lizzard's assertion that that the Fronsay don't do spicy.
snow report
Never seen a Poundland in the Alps, so how about a Euroland? Someone I know did take away curries in Le Praz this year - lovely!
snow conditions
Peter Leuzzi, what's not sensible about a chalet business? You'd just need to stump up a huge wedge of capital, because I haven't got any. Which is one reason why I'm not running a chalet business, obviously.
latest report
RUGBY PETER, there's a euro store in Zell am See
snow report
admin wrote:
I've eaten curries in French restaurants

That's like going to Rome and ordering cod, chips and mushy peas in a pizzeria wink
latest report
stephen buck, "A place in France"!
latest report
I do remember "A place in France". They were trying to open a curry house in the bum end of nowhere.. fat chance. Lizzard, the only spicy thing I've seen is chilli oil on pizzas.. or is that only for the tourists? The French are v conservative but not half as bad as their neighbours in Italy... where anything made outside of a 5 mile radius of home is foreign muck.
ski holidays
Things in a Italy are changing...especially in the North. Milan has really embraced the Sushi bars.

I must admit they are not too keen on Chinese food, but when i have my Italian mates over to Blighty, they really do like a good Curry and English Ale. Cool

As long as it's freshly cooked and from good ingrediants, more local the better, then they'll go for it. We could learn a lot tbh.
ski holidays
When in Val D'Isere a couple of years ago I noticed a picnic delivery service being offered. You phoned in your order, decided where and when you wanted it and someone would deliver it, on skis, anywhere on the mountain.

I thought at the time it was flawed as they only delivered cold food. Not good in Dec/Jan/Feb when it's -10C and you're sitting on a rock.

Is this still going?
ski holidays
jzBun, Picnics On The Piste. Went spectacularly bust a couple of seasons ago.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, How spectacularly?
snow report
jzBun, leaving Mini Coopers and unpaid staff strewn across the Tarentaise, as I heard it. Laughing
snow report
Althought to be fair, I think that the going bust had more to do with paying huge salaries and purchasing brand new company mini coopers than it did with the original picnicing idea . . . .
snow report
Picnics on the piste doesn't sound like a great business to me, though from this article they did start quite well.

http://www.valdinet.com/whats_new_article.php?id_whats_new=2037 until the local major had other ideas but then that he got over turned in court.

How about inventing a machine that fluffs up the snow, maybe drive a piste basher in reverse?
snow report
waynos, hmmm a snow "fluffer".. i do suggest you never do a search for the word fluffer on ths internet, you may be Shocked!

On a slightly more serious note.. most grand plans seem to fail around the ski business... it's very niche and insular, normal business rules are hard to apply. A well run chalet with experienced staff seems your least risk bet... kinda low risk and low return vs high risk and low return, those are your choices.
latest report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
spyder_pig, WURST not wurtz Toofy Grin

just make sure they're the best, not the... (I'll get me coat!)
ski holidays
don't to chalet or apartment rentals as there is a new 20% tax on non-resident property owners

http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/909/
ski holidays
Quote:

a new 20% tax on non-resident property owners

Hmm. That's not good news. We don't rent ours but obviously it has a "rentable value". For those who DO rent out their property, does that mean a new 20% tax on top of whatever tax they pay on the income already? And presumably, for everybody, on top of the other taxes already paid - tax fonciere etc
latest report
It is based on a notional rental value and should be about the same as the taxe foncière.
snow report
Looks like renters escape:

http://www.lesechos.fr/economie-politique/france/actu/0201346265182-residences-secondaires-des-etrangers-la-taxe-fixee-a-20-de-la-valeur-locative.htm
ski holidays
pam w, looking at the article, it would appear that it will apply only to those who don't rent out their property, those renting have income and so already pay taxes. I only pay a very small amount, but it is tax nevertheless. Perhaps it will stop the tax avoidance apparently going on amongst non-resident property owners.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
pam w, looking at the article, it would appear that it will apply only to those who don't rent out their property, those renting have income and so already pay taxes. I only pay a very small amount, but it is tax nevertheless. Perhaps it will stop the tax avoidance apparently going on amongst non-resident property owners.

Yes in that case should be ok for people who bought apartments on a leaseback scheme but I wonder about holiday rentals, will it be pro rata? Could you could rent your property 1 week of the year and claim an exception.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy