Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please - ski stiffness comparison

Poster: A snowHead
I have been asked for details as to how the stiffness of the Storm Inferno compares to that of the Movement Thunder.

I have never skiied the latter (I don't think?!); however, if anyone has skiied both models and is in a position to compare, could they please reply here with details.

Very many thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have only skied the Movement Thunder but I thought it was worth saying I think they are bloody stiff. If you are after a stiff ski they are great.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My wife prefers girth.

How are the Thunders in that department?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name,
Quote:

My wife prefers girth.

ha, not much chance with length!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Girth wise they are thicker than an Irish pork sausage..
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Brilliant - comedy gold. Simply too much humour for my sides to contain themselves.

Is anyone able to offer an actual comparison?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What, of length versus girth?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe this helps .....

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/82790/storm-skis-first-tests
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fr0sty, batman_123 finds her 172cm Dynastar Sultan 94s noticeably stiffer than her 155cm Infernos, and I think the Movement Thunder will be stiffer still. I've only skied the Infernos indoors and found them a little soft for my liking, but I do prefer stiffer skis.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are we talking Slalom Race Carver or Performance Piste version?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just to be serious, what does stiffness have to do with it? As I and others have noted many times before, there are other factors that are much more important.

I would expect (fr0sty, I am making no comment about you here) very few recreational skiers to be able to make any judgement about the stiffness of a ski from skiing it.

Torsional rigidity for instance is much more important. Very few recreational skis are that stiff anyway. Any references in the marketing are merely that.

Where stiffness might be an issue is in depending what length to get.

In which case the question to ask is "what length should I get?", not "how stiff are they?"

rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB, thanks for the link, I had looked but was also interested in user opinions here.

anarchicsaltire, it's the 'Race Carver' (or Lab version) to my knowledge.

under a new name, I do agree with much of what you say. However, it was a direct question posed by an interested buyer - hence overtly soliciting an opinion on the forum that they also use. It was for a direct comparison with another ski which unlike the Inferno they had previously skiied.

Thanks for all of the assistance so far, anything further is equally appreciated.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sideshow_Bob, my apologies - I completely missed your response. That is a useful comparison for me as I have skiied the Dynstar Sultan Legend 85 in a 172 and a 178. I found the Inferno to be harder to initially pressure in the turn, but easier to control the turn shape once the turn had started - (if that makes any sense??!) This might be explained by the (significant) difference in length though, or perhaps it was just my amateurish tune - who knows..?!

Based upon the majority of second-hand information already available on the internet it would appear the Thunder is as stiff as any recreational ski is likely to be; (short of deliberately seeking something out that's made of iron in a sado-masochistic rage ...) Which suggests that the Inferno will be softer.

For what it's worth I enjoyed both the Inferno and the Sultan 85 - (more in the 178 than the 172 though); does anyone have any Thunders?? ( Wink )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fr0sty,
Quote:

a direct question posed by an interested buyer - hence overtly soliciting an opinion

Still a pretty meaningless question. And how would you go about covertly soliciting an opinion here?

I'm not helping here, am I?

I'll get my coat Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Except that I have skied the Thunder and found them not at all stiff and a little lifeless. A bit of a disappointment.
latest report
under a new name wrote:

And how would you go about covertly soliciting an opinion here?

PM?

under a new name wrote:

I'm not helping here, am I?

Agreed.

-so to sum up then (for the benefit of those members that emailed me about the Infernos)

According to under a new name, the questions that you both asked were apparently worthless and there is no point in my trying to help you answer them unless I first explain to you that they were worthless.

Certainly there's no point in my trying to secure an answer on an internet forum; (truism?) - and attempting to openly solicit such an opinion in a manner where it doesn't appear to have come second-hand through me, (i.e. the seller), was apparently equally flawed...brilliant observations, cheers.

You should probably stick to e-mail if you have other questions guys, I'll try to answer as best I can.

Thanks
snow conditions
Depends on what model of thunders, as they softened them a bit through the later models. The skull graphics are the last proper stiff versions, and yes they're pretty stiff
snow conditions
under a new name, I'm 18stone, stiffness matters
ski holidays
My 10p worth, find the equivalent from Dynastar or Voelkl.
snow report
barry, actually, no, IMO, usually specific stiffness matters. I.e. I would expect you to be skiing typically the longer end of any ski range. Not necessarily just trying to find stiff skis.

The Thunders can't be that stiff either longitudinally or torsionally as they're marketing to advanced intermediates. from what I can see (cf Fall Line Review 2007)

fr0sty, very appropriate sig, by the way, pr1ckly or s0mewhat sens1t1ve might also come to mind.

Quote:

the questions that you both asked were (a) apparently worthless and (b) there is no point in my trying to help you answer them unless I first explain to you that they were worthless
(red)=my edit

a. yes, IMO pretty much - the answers wouldn't inform the purchasers in any meaningful way.

b. I'm struggling to understand your particular issue here. If you knew they it was a worthless question, and as you said earlier that you (broadly) agreed with me, I infer that you did, why would you want to solicit anyone elses opinions?

If I asked a vendor a question like this, I'd expect them to explain it was not a desperately meaningful question, explore my concerns and answer the underlying issues.

Although if I asked a terribly important question here, I would be Very Upset Indeed, if anyone was Even At All facetiously humourous about it. I even might Throw My Toys Out Of My Pram, let me tell you. So there.

Ho hum.

Also, what SZK said. Maybe throw Stockli into the mix.
snow report
wow...
snow report
under a new name, my skiblades are like girders rolling eyes Laughing , and as you no doubt know already, long and stiff beats long and floppy everytime Laughing Razz

fr0sty, the thunders are stiff (skull graphics or earlier). I also ride the proper big movement goliaths and the thunders are easily as stiff Shocked Fair dinkum the goliaths are a colossal 4cm longer OMG!! (but then they do have a flat tail and the thunder is a "semi-twin"). I'm getting a semi just thinkin about em.
snow conditions
fr0sty, great, I mean, Grreaatt, response. Love it.
snow conditions
Move on kid, seriously...
snow report
Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
under a new name, Oi son, he said "Move on Kid." Smile
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, wotever

do I look like I'm bovvered?

<insert>not very bovvered smiley<end_insert>

Or, was it, perhaps, a cryptic threat?

do I look like I'm endangered?

<insert>not very endangered smiley<end_insert>

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 1-05-11 16:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
alot less bovver with a hovver
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy