Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is ski-ing still a class ridden sport?

Poster: A snowHead
Alexandra, does s/he ski? If not, they'll never know.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alexandra, Ah - yes! But ski-ing and riding are complementary sports. (+ mountain biking). BTW I know lots of poor people who have horses too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Clearly skiing is still quite an expensive sport/passtime, but I don't think it's "only for the rich." However, if you're living on a tight budget, skiing is probably impossible.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, perhaps they wouldn't be poor if they didn't have horses. They always semm to me to be pretty pricey beasts to keep.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richmond - haha Í've not tried her on skis - but I'm willing to take a bet that a hockey stop on 4 skis would take some co-ordination! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

at Castleford I see young kids all the time with shell suits and acne who would never have gone near a ski slope 10 years ago

is acne a new badge of class? must have missed that one. Yes, ski hols are expensive, so poor families could not afford them. But wealth/class lines are not synonymous, are they? Probably lots of families who could afford to ski, do not do so because it is not traditional amongst their family/friends. It is changing though, partly because of school trips (I got into ski-ing through a school trip, even though I could not afford to go again till I was 40. Nobody in the generation above mine had ever been on a ski holiday, in my family, and few had been abroad at all). You don't meet many factory workers ski-ing, though I did spend a fun day in the 3 Valleys with a guy from the same chalet, who worked in a toilet roll factory, on a punishing shift system of 9 long days on, five days off, which gave him both the money and the time to go on lots of short ski trips.

As everyone says, it's different in Scotland. We had lessons 20 years ago at a dry slope in a very depressed part of the old Ayrshire coalfield, with a broken lift (you took skis off and walked up the mud at the side, very good for the legs). There was not much evidence of upper class skiers at that slope, I can tell you. I doubt whether many of the local lads who frequented the place ever got a chance to ski on snow. I doubt whether any of them had ever been far north of Glasgow, let alone to the Cairngorms.

one of the many reasons I like small, family-oriented, French resorts is the "classless" style (or maybe I'm just not tuned in to French class markers). There seems to be no need to be seen to be "keeping up with the Joneses" in any way, including skiwear and equipment.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Yes. And oh how we laugh these days at the idea that skiing is still "over-ridden" by the upperclass. Once, maybe. But not now at any stretch of the imagination.
As said earlier, TO ski holidays now go for the same cost of a summer's week on a beach in Costa del Tourist.
Thus these days it's the middle/lower classes that cram the pistes. And oh the chav-dom that goes with it rolling eyes

As with anything else in the tourism industry, the more you pay and/or the more off-the-beaten-path a location is, the less likely one is to encounter the chav-scrum. Those of us with any taste (regardless of class) learn to ski properly and go head to less easily accessable areas (both on and off the snow wink ).

One can only wish for a return to a nice class system where only the upper class can afford to hit the slopes.
Sigh.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Manda wrote:

As said earlier, TO ski holidays now go for the same cost of a summer's week on a beach in Costa del Tourist.
Thus these days it's the middle/lower classes that cram the pistes.

Sorry Manda, but I disagree. With holidays going to Spain and Greece from about £100 a week, skiing is still expensive by comparison. Your average lift pass for the week will cost more than that. Consider the cost of ski clothing, equipment hire and lessons, and skiing is significantly more expensive than your average "week in Ibiza" for £99, where all you need to take with you is beach gear, which you probably already own in some form or another, and beer money!
Even beers are generally more expensive in ski resorts!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Manda, oh, please tell me chavs are not taking over the pistes. Oh how I hate those arrogant tastless people!
Julia
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manda wrote:

One can only wish for a return to a nice class system where only the upper class can afford to hit the slopes. Sigh

And the roads?wink

I am no longer sure if we are talking money or class. What might once have been thought to distinguished class: knowledge of "culture" for example, probably never distinguished more than a sub-group (what can one say of a Royal family who's most anti-philistine credentials were apparently held by the Queen mother!)

PS
I remember a comedy "Appeal on behalf of the Nearly Rich" which defined these poor, suffering people as
"people who can't quite afford that second ski holiday"
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
crazy_skier_jules, yarhs darhling t'iz sarch ah wahry t'iz it not, wot? Laughing wink
Er hem.
Never mind. The chequered-cap brigade is hard to miss, therefore easy to avoid.

snowball, Laughing

Peter B well, if you're canny, booking 3 days before departure nets around £200pp for a week in the Tarentaise. Or £100pp if you let the TO decide the resort. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Not forgetting that a week at the beach also involves considerable spend on add-ons too!! e.g. day trips, adventure activities, shopping, etc. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Manda, it's possible to get a sun 'n sea deal for £30 to £50 at the same sort of notice. If you buy all the excursions, another £200 or so all in. Very little extra is needed. Thats in the region of £250 total, you're never going to get a week in a ski resort for that price.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How very true. 10 years ago, with a family of 5, going to cheap chalets, and insisting that the kids made do with a plate of chips and a coke at lunchtime, it used to cost near enough £2500 for a week's holiday. That's why I have now bought a small and cheap apartment in a small and cheap French resort. I try to avoid busy resorts, but if forced to choose would marginally prefer Manda's "chavs" to a whole lot of hooray henrys, thanks very much. And I think it's great that the joys of ski holidays are not confined to the rich - just the fairly rich.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With regard to price, Crystal are knocking out holidays in Ellmau in August, September for £160 pp .

These are what they call 'Lakes and Mountains' holidays.

The distinguishing feature here will not be class, but the fact that most of the clients will be old.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, crickey. I stand corrected! Shocked But even still, £200pp for a skiing is still good value for a holiday, all things considered. It's certainly led to a class revolution on the slopes.

pam w, snowHead For me, chav-dom appears to be a state of mind, rather than a state of wallet. Hoorays are just as bad when they act like chavs. rolling eyes
snow report
Note to self: 22/07/2005, 16.50 - Agreed with one of Manda's, posts Very Happy
snow conditions
[thump]. Sorry Frosty the Snowman, that was me falling off chair. [gets up, brushes self down, resettles]

snowHead Stuff happens. Don't worry, lightening doesn't strike twice.
snow report
snowball, there is indeed confusion between money and class, but I think that we're talking class here.

BTW, the royal family are load of bourgeoise Germans, so certainly don't count as upper class.
snow report
Manda, very good value.

The cheapest that I've ever managed is £280 pp for flights, transfers, and a week in a catered chalet, but then again, I don't go for cheapness alone. But then you need to add-

£140 lift pass.

£80 one weeks ski and boot hire.

Which is already taking it into the £400 - £500 mark, before they've even bought a drink. If you're looking at some medium heavy drinking, a few snacks/lunch on the mountain, some apres ski, chalet persons night off, and I think that you would be lucky to see much change out of another £200 - £300, which is bringing us into the £6-700 per person per week range. Not the sort of thing that most lower class people can afford.
ski holidays
It's definitely more an issue of disposable income, rather than class distinction.
What class do I belong to?
Both of my grandfathers were unskilled miners, neither ever owned a car or received higher education. Both grandmothers were housewives.

Good job for the lottery... £9,000,000 wahey!!

Just kidding Very Happy

My father is a professional, and so am I and have a comfortable lifestyle . But I'm definitely not posh. None of my family have ever attended public schools and (with one recent exception) never had Private Health care.

Anyway what's worse loaded Posh people or loaded Chavs (like the infamous lottery winner) Puzzled
ski holidays
Well, like any other kinds of people there are dreadful "posh" (a word that would make them shudder) rich people and some very fine, unaffected ones too. Noblesse oblige can just occasionally be actually meant without condescension.
Was it one of the famous Bloomsbury set who was faced with a woman who claimed that her social position should have sat her somewhere else at a dinner table. On settling in her new seat she commiserated with her hostess that social etiquette must be such a bother, to which came the reply "Oh, I find that the people who matter don't mind, and the people who mind don't matter"
snow report
Quote:

My BASI trainer was Ali Ross, a remarkable guy who has roots as the son of a crofting family north of Inverness. He went on to become a truck driver and (self-taught? not sure) engineer, then a world-class ski instructor in Wengen, Switzerland.

So, there was a guy who kicked off by skiing on homemade skis, and ended up teaching the aristocracy (and me).

Great insight as always David. The classlessness of Skiing in Scotland and to a lesser extent northern England, is part of the enjoyment for me. It makes the sport more akin to Fell walking or climbing - popular 'middle class' activities but nevertheless accessible to all and usually with the greatest enthusiam (and the highest skill) amongst those from less priviledged backgrounds.

Meeting normal people is one of the great joys of the sport. Its guaranteed in Scotland but is more hit and miss in an Alpine Chalet.

Nothing fills a northern couple with greater trepidation than that wait in the transfer Coach for the Gatwick Flight to arrive ! rolling eyes
Happily our fears are usually unfounded. Laughing
snow report
That's an interesting perception, one I thought was possibly reflected in the clubs involved heavily in the snow-racing scene. I did have the feeling that the Scots clubs were relatively 'classless', in comparison to most English race clubs. I felt that this added to the noticeable divide on purely national grounds.
snow report
PG, Don't you think it could be a question of accessibility? Scots have better access to ski-ing even without much money whereas from the South you do have to spend a fair bit to get to the snow. I have at least one friend from Aviemore who learnt to ski by earwigging on lessons! (He's now a Grade 1). Cool
ski holidays
You may have a point on accessibility, I know when we liven in Kent it was nearer for us to drive to Switzerland than to Scotland Shocked
snow report
It's not just a money thing. I think it's more of a background / culture thing. What is it that normally prompts someone to go on a ski holiday? Probably being taken by your parents, or going with friends who ski. If it's something you or anyone you know have never done, how will you hear about how great it can be?

Take the Asian community for example. There are many wealthy Asian people in the UK in business and the professions, but you don't see many on the slopes.
snow report
 brian
brian
easiski, accessibility definitely helps. My school (bog standard comprehensive) ran a subsidised minibus to Cairngorm every Sunday in the winter (leaving at 5.30am Shocked ) and they used to get discounted vouchers for kids' lift tickets. Neither of my parents were skiers, but my paper round covered it Very Happy
snow conditions
I know one French race club trainer, youngish down to earth mountain guy, who helped out just once at the British Schoolgirls' Champs in Flaine. Chatting to him one day he recalled certain sensitive young ladies who talked to him as if he was a skivvy at their beck and call. He was amazed at their general attitude and left with the intention of never going back, even if asked! (He didn't expect to be, mind you wink). Coming from a background where he trains a bunch of ordinary tough locals who treat him as the boss, failing which he gives them a good b*llocking, it was a bit of the shock to the system. I tried to explain that they were not exactly typical!

The Schoolgirls, mind you, is not representative of British races abroad in that there are a percentage of kids who are just taking part "for fun". One of the Royals raced the year before last.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The class thing still exists,but only in the minds of those who seek to promote and defend it.A section of moneyed people will always seek to retain what they perceive is theirs,a certain exclusivity.That's fine by me.What they will never be able to buy is the mountain itself.That is accessible to all.So what if they choose to fly BA and stay in a ultra expensive chalet;whilst I fly Sleazy and shop in the Supermarket Toofy Grin We all ride the same chairlift.The only measure,on the mountain,is how good a skier you are.Wearing the correct school tie somehow has less meaning when strapped in a blood wagon wink
The rise of TO/budget airlines has broken the price barrier IMO.Go to any snowdome(I use Tamworth)and its full of perfectly ordinary? people;and loads of kids.Playing 'spot the cultured accent' would be a very slow game Laughing The meteoric rise of snowboarding brought snowsports to the yoof;many of which are turning to the new generation of ski's.
Cost is a state of mind.Not so much a question of disposable income,but how you choose to dispose it?I'm not rich,never will be.I've taken the concious decision to reduce my work/stress levels,along with my income.I still ski,in fact proberbly more.This past winter for 4 weeks snowHead Looks as if I shall equal that in 2006.How?,I'm very careful(and very price concious)Zee French av to pry every last euro out of me wink
I have had work colleagues/friends who bleat about not being able to afford to ski.Often whilst puffing on a B&H(£1600yr/20day)and consoling themselves down the pub 2/3 times a week(£god knows)I'd rather be on a mountain snowHead snowHead
latest report
snowskisnow, Well said. I think it does also depend on where you go. Here we hardly get any "toffs" and they mostly don't come back. We get a majority of what I would describe at nice ordinary people. some are professionals, some manual workers, some dinner ladies - who cares. I went to Meribel once and spent the whole fortnight trying to pretend I wasn't English (my french was terrible at the time) as I was sooooooooo embarassed by the hooray henries. Why do they think the French don't understand them? OTOH perhaps they actually don't care??? Shocked Shocked Bad behaviour, though, is not limited to the hoorays.

PG, I hope your friend gave the grotty little pigs a piece of his mind - I would have!!
snow report
easiski wrote:
I went to Meribel once and spent the whole fortnight trying to pretend I wasn't English (my french was terrible at the time) as I was sooooooooo embarassed by the hooray henries. Why do they think the French don't understand them? OTOH perhaps they actually don't care??? Shocked Shocked Bad behaviour, though, is not limited to the hoorays.

I expect it's the "couldn't care less" attitude that is closer to the mark. Mad
ski holidays
Hywel, you've got a very good point - how do we define our class?
And which class do I belong to? Maternal grandparents were weavers, paternal grandfather was a ship builder (none of them had any education past age 14). My Dad was an engineer, but left school at 15 and was an apprentice, my Mum was the first to have any higher education at teacher training college. I went to Public School, and University, but my profession is traditionally known as being a domestic servant!
And I ski at one of the more expensive resorts in the USA, which gets it's fair share of the very rich, although they don't tend to be very "posh", but then although it is expensive, it's not a posh resort.
ski holidays
pollittcl, I expect very many people have got similar stories. Me, for one. The sooner we can leave all this class cr@p behind us the better. Social mobility is an extremely good thing.
latest report
laundryman,
Quote:

Social mobility is an extremely good thing

especially when it is downhill on cold, white stuff!!? snowHead
snow report
pollittcl, snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
"class ridden" or "stratified"?

I grew up and learned in Scotland. Which in skiing terms is relatively classless, although you do have to deal with a little attitude from climbers who clearly think themselves an ice axe above the rest (sorry, don't really mean it, oi! watch that sharp point).

However, having worked a few seasons in an un-named French resort in the late 80's I'd make a couple of generalised observations from there noticed over the last few years.

Seasonal workers have relatively less interest in skiing.

There is a significant increase in boorish, crass, rude and ignorant behaviour. This is not a social class statement per se, maybe more a statement on classy behaviour. The "Brits abroad" seem increasingly prevalent in all their least attractive aspects.

This mirrors/parallels the significant increase in (mostly SE and "estuary") brits buying local properties.

"Is skiing a class ridden sport?" maybe its natural tilt towards conspicuous consumption makes it more apparent but sadly it's not nearly such a "classy" sport any more.
snow conditions
When I skied as a child with my parents in the mid and late 50s the British who went skiing were mostly upper and upper middle class. This did not mean flashy gear and furs and boorish or loud behaviour but a general understatedness and courtesy. I'm never quite sure what is meant, now, by "posh" in relation to this.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy