Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portable Ashtray Anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
Smokers, who let's face it, don't have too much respect for their own bodies, are being encouraged to respect the mountain. I'm all for a tidy mountain but is this daft?

http://www.travmedia.com/uk/pressrelease.php?id=69555&mo=4&referencekey=c93f239eea85aca764b62b87b0d03f4f

A new eco-friendly portable ashtray has been launched by the Ski Club of Great Britain as part of their Respect the Mountain campaign.

In a bid to stop skiers and snowboarders from dropping their cigarette butts from chairlifts and on the mountain, the Ski Club is distributing the ashtrays to ski resorts around the world.

Ski Club Leaders based in 34 resorts both in Europe and North America have been handing out the ashtrays to skiers and snowboarders in their resorts, plus the Ski Club is giving them out for free at a range of snowsports events including The BRITS, the Ski Club Tignes Dual Slalom and the Winter Sessions Weekender in Chamonix.

The portable ashtray is made from recycled, recyclable and biodegradable materials and was developed by UK company Boodi to provide an eco-friendly alternative to plastic or metal pocket ashtrays that end-up in landfill sites every year...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a great idea.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most lifts have bins at the top you can chuck cigarette butts in anyway. Or just stub 'em out on the metal bar and put them in your pocket 'til later. I'm all for keeping the mountain litter free though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hautes Alpes were giving them away at the ski show at Olympia, and they were freely available in Aprica last week, marked 'I love my town'. The people who needed them most were the instructors, who all smoked on lifts and chucked their fag ends beneath them, forming a little stripe of them up the mountain.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They've been available in Tignes for years
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, the SKGB do sooooo much for the snowsports community...... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John wrote:
They've been available in Tignes for years

...and in Stubai and Crested Butte.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman, Crested Butt?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Respect The Mountain?.....Respect My Intelligence. I'll start paying attention to your eco-fashion spewings when you stop publishing heli ski/ long haul travel & "consume new kit please" fluff pieces in SKGB Pravda.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
These small aluminium ones have been available from Muji for years.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fag butts are a problem. The Ski Club tries to do something about it. Snowheads criticise the Ski Club. It was ever thus.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman, well I thought that was fairly amusing.....don't take much tho' Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chasseur, aw, thanks. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They give away free "mountain ashtrays" - a little pocket of some fireproof type material with some branding at Cafe No Name in Laax. Mostly for the tokers I reckon given the amount of weed smoked there but a good idea generally, it gives the smoker something to think about and then use rather then dumping the left overs on the mountain which is just so wrong...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In Courchevel they have targets to aim your butts at near the end of many chair lifts.
ski holidays
Do they have them on drag lifts?
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Do they have them on drag lifts?

Only fag butts are allowed on drag lifts, dear boy.
snow report
Being a nearly but can't quite knock it on the head smoker myself, I've used a little pocket fag butt holder for years, can't stand seeing litter and fag butts laying around on the mountain. I also have one clipped to my fishing vest. It really pisses me off seeing people flick fag butts and other litter around, especially in pristine natural environments.
latest report
Quote:

is this daft?

How could it be daft? Have you seen the amount of litter (the vast majority of it cigarette ends) lying about the hill in the summer? The eco-babble is surely nonsense, but convincing thoughtless louts not to chuck rubbish all over the mountain is fairly important.

Aside: Chasseur, fatbob, do you two always spell the word club with a k? Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

is this daft?

The eco-babble is surely nonsense,

Forced upon the Club by David Goldsmith.
ski holidays
PJSki, shut up. I don't care about your squabble with Goldwhatsit or the ski club's childish internal politics.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
PJSki, shut up. I don't care about your squabble with Goldwhatsit or the ski club's childish internal politics.

You shut up yourself. The reason the ski club has such a confused eco policy is because of that tw@t. And as you know just what a burk he is, perhaps that puts in in perspective for you.
snow conditions
PJSki, I don't care about their 'eco policy' either, sounds like a load of ill thought out bandwagon-jumping to me.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
PJSki, I don't care about their 'eco policy' either, sounds like a load of ill thought out bandwagon-jumping to me.

Yeah it was/is. You commented on it, so don't grizzle when someone comments on your comment.
latest report
Bode Swiller, do I detect the teensiest tiniest built-in aversion to the SCGB in your posts? Little Angel
snow report
achilles wrote:
Bode Swiller, do I detect the teensiest tiniest built-in aversion to the SCGB in your posts? Little Angel

Maybe a business deal that wet tits up? Come on Bode, time to swill the beans on this one? Were you knocked back by a rep? Male or female? A good mate of yours utterly destroyed by SCGB operatives, per chance?
snow conditions
achilles, PJSki, no, when a bit of ski-related trivia arrives in my inbox I often post it up here - check back and you'll see. I think my opening post was neutral. I didn't say it was daft, I asked if it was daft. As it 'appens though, since you ask, I think it's daft. The butts aren't the problem, the butt-droppers are the problem and they are so unlikely to change their habits. Plus, I reckon only a smallish % of them are Brits.

Quote:

Were you knocked back by a rep? Male or female?

Yeah, it happened in Val D'Isere. My mistake, he looked like a woman from behind. Case comes up next week.

Now then, where's that snow reporting thread Toofy Grin
snow report
Personally I think it a stupid idea, the only people who will get them are the ones that almost certainly don't drop the remains of their cancer causing pollution stick on the mountain anyway, if you really want to do something about it I'd suggest making the offenders go and pick the damn things up whilst wearing a silly costume.

I'd consider suggesting capital punishment for the offence but some would consider it to be politically incorrect and perhaps a little bit over reacting to the issue, those are the ones that haven't seen the mess caused by the things once the snow melts Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:

Yeah, it happened in Val D'Isere. My mistake, he looked like a woman from behind. Case comes up next week.

You stuck your case up the cnut's arse? you sick fuck!
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
Personally I think it a stupid idea, the only people who will get them are the ones that almost certainly don't drop the remains of their cancer causing pollution stick on the mountain anyway,

And the evidence for that is?
latest report
Quote:

'd consider suggesting capital punishment for the offence but some would consider it to be politically incorrect and perhaps a little bit over reacting to the issue, those are the ones that haven't seen the mess caused by the things once the snow melts Evil or Very Mad

Do you drive a car
Puzzled
ski holidays
leedsunited, haha, good point. Also raises the question of the relative carbon footprint of those flying to the alps and the smugger than thou DIY brigade. I suspect driving produces much more pollution per head than flying, but interested to see of anyone has stats to hand
snow conditions
leedsunited, at the moment no I don't drive a car Razz

I do however have friends who farm in the alps, they tell me that it takes ages to clear up all the mess in the spring and that the biggest issue is all the cigarette butts that need to be collected in vast quantities before cattle can be let loose on the mountain pastures, the odd butt is not really a problem but the areas beneath chairlifts can apparently be a real issue.

Dr John, I suspect it will depend a little on how full peoples vehicles are and how big the vehicle is, for that matter I've used the train to get out to the alps on many occasions which is probably one of the greenest methods of getting there

By the way my last paragraph of my previous post was somewhat tongue in cheek, I do wish that people would stop throwing their buts away outside though, It's not as if there are usually a lack of bins/ashtrays around a resort Sad
snow report
Look, we all know that smoking is bad but let's put it into perspective:
    * Cultivation, manufacture and distribution carbon footprint: probably has the same detrimental effect on the environment as the average processed food product found on your local supermarket shelf
    * Social side effects: has less detrimental effect on society than alcohol - no smoker has a few too many cigarettes and then beats up the wife and kids within inches of their lives, or can't make it into work - and thus contribute to the economy - because of a night of heavy smoking, or loses control of their car and causes a road accident because they've had a couple of cigarettes. I would say that alcohol probably has a larger effect than smoking (including the effects of passive smoking, which is partly covered by the pollution point below)
    * Social healthcare funds: I wonder how much NHS money is spent on the care of obese people (and the secondary effects of obesity such as diabetes, liver and heart disease) or alcoholics in comparison to the care of smokers and all the side effects of smoking?
    * Individual health: no argument here - it's bad and that's a fact! But then so is alcohol abuse and extreme overeating. Every time I see an obese person, I have the same sense of "what the hell are you doing to your body" as I do with smokers
    * Contribution to pollution: does an individual who smokes but not drive a car cause more or less toxic pollution for wider society than someone who drives a car but doesn't smoke?
    * Litter factor: again, this is a bad one but then I see just as much other litter on city and town streets as cigarette butts. Thankfully, there is less of the other kind of litter in ski resorts, so a decrease in cigarette butts on the mountains would be excellent

I'm not defending smoking or smokers but I personally believe that there are bigger things to worry and campaign about. Smoking is one of the lesser evils of our global society. I would rather see people getting worked up about the wholesale theft of public assets by private corporations resulting in growing poverty, or wars waged in the name of oil, or third-world countries' natural assets owned and mined by foreign companies without any benefits to the local population… I could go on but you get the picture.
snow conditions
I wonder whether the NHS spends more on looking after smokers than it gets in taxes from tobacco, or is it the other way around?
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:

Aside: Chasseur, fatbob, do you two always spell the word club with a k? Laughing

I do....as in SKGB if you hadn't already clocked. Not hard to see why given some of the "attitude" that creeps over here from time to time. See above? rolling eyes
ski holidays
Chasseur, funny the first time. Bit like 'Tony Bliar' and similar newsbites favoured by Daily Mail types with no substantial argument of their own.
snow conditions
In Courcheval this year, I noticed some strange satelitte dish shaped objects under some of the chair-lifts. I was subsequently told that these have been provided for smokers on ski lifts for use in disposing of their cigarette butts.

I also found this report on t'internet:

Cigarette butts have been banished from the slopes this year. As well as the ashtray facilities provided at all the picnic areas, the ski lift company have come up with an innovative, low cost solution for collecting cigarette butts. As the lift nears the last pylon, which is usually the point where most cigarette butts are thrown away, there is a target in the shape of a huge cigarette for smokers to aim at. Under the target is a vast 100-square-metre sheet, which will be carefully gathered up as the snow melts.

Since it is unlikely that smoking on chairlifts can be eradicated, I suppose it makes sense to collect all the butts in one place for easier disposal at the end of the season!
latest report
Mr Marmot wrote:
In Courcheval this year, I noticed some strange satelitte dish shaped objects under some of the chair-lifts. I was subsequently told that these have been provided for smokers on ski lifts for use in disposing of their cigarette butts.

Excellent, fag but darts. I hope the dishes have concentric rings painted on them like archery targets. I may have to take up smoking again to participate in this new game.

Actually this seems like a good imaginative solution.
snow report
Around Paradiski this Spring the more obvious problem appeared to be plastic water bottles dropped from the lifts Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy