Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

dodgy technique or useful tactic?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I tend to the view that good skiing is less about sticking to a strict technical purity and more about picking from a selection of skills/tactics depending on the conditions/what you want to achieve but I'd be interested in people's thoughts on the following. Is it badly flawed and if so, what is the downside?

Last week I had a surprisingly good week in La Plagne with the family (surprising given how brown the mountains were).

Early in the morning the pistes were suitably refrozen and hard and I enjoyed working on precise carves. Obviously on gentler/wider slopes its easy but when the terrain is steeper/narrower (I'm only talking about the steeper pitches of La Plagne red runs, not THAT steep!) you need to work harder to control speed without scrubbing off speed in the turns. If you are using a lot of hip angulation then you carve powerfully through the fall-line and finish the turn pointing back up the mountain. Gravity does its work and sheds the speed but you need quite a lot of space to carve back round to the fall-line on the new outside ski (am I making sense here?).

Sometimes you don't have the space and I found a way of making do with less - as I was getting close to the end of one turn, still on the old outside edge, I would release my old inside ski and drift it out into a slight wedge (unweighted at this point) until the leg was quite extended, at this point I would shift my CoG onto the ski so that I picked up the new carve on an angle that was already further towards the fall-line. Timed right, there is no skidding, just a shift from one carve to another but with a change of angle. It felt very good, precise, efficient but for some reason it seems "wrong" to create that wedge. Other than it not being the "done thing" is there a problem?

Hope you can follow my description,
J
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Definitely useful tactic. It's probably called in real life a "stem step" or "step Christie". In a race course it would probably be the last element when "skating for line" - used particularly at the start where you don't really have enough speed to get the edge angles you need to make tight turns.

But the question that all this really begs (using that terminology correctly for once Wink ) is - why were you trying so hard to avoid skidding in the first place? Carving all the way is to make you go as fast as you can. It's also fine if you want to deliberately practice the technique of being able to make those tight carves, but it can be really tiring. But if you don't want to go so fast, then simply don't carve so much! Put in a bit of a skid if you want to, it's no crime. It's also much easier Wink .
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Carving on early morning boiler plate? Wow, you're braver than me!! My tactic for that sort of snow is simple - off piste!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The question doesn't make sense to me - if you're going to purely carve a turn it's going to be near the ski's radius in size. Doesn't have to be mega fast like you say, you can maintain speed with carved turns. If that's not suitable, you ideally want to make steered, high edge angle turns. Probably much more challenging to do without having your edge break away, as you have to blend edging and turning the leg (can't remember what non-CSIA bodies call this again) in the hip socket without overcooking either - and the harder the snow, the more delicate the balance is.

The problem is that it's a moment of imbalance as you sort yourself out, and it's a bit redundant when you're trying to make efficient carved turns by picking things up and skipping out phases of the turn you can be doing stuff in (like loading the ski to create pressure/energy to do the fun stuff you probably aspire to if carving is your goal).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveC wrote:
The question doesn't make sense to me - if you're going to purely carve a turn it's going to be near the ski's radius in size. .

Ummm no... If you tip the skis to a high enough edge angle the turn radius will be substantially smaller than the skis stated radius... Hard work though and a certain amount of skill required...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
little tiger, it's hard to disclaimer everything, but the spirit of my response was for jedster's post. Demanding big enough edge angles to bend a ski seems like a big ask in terrain someone's not comfortable enough in.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaveC, hmmmm he did say "not really that steep".... but then you said

Quote:
If that's not suitable, you ideally want to make steered, high edge angle turns.

and steering a tight radius is going to be harder with higher edge angles...

Like Graham N said just add some skid and you are scrubbing speed and can tighten radius - why do you suggest that he needs high edge angles in the steered turn but low in the carved turn? Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh, I certainly wouldn't say I was uncomfortable with the terrain! I could have skied it comfortably in many different ways.
I was using a high edge angle to carve turns shorter than my ski radius (18m as it happens). Why do it? Well my feeling is that if you CAN carve on early morning boiler plate then it is much better to do so. Obviously you can control a slide or a skid but you are not in as much control as when you are carving precisely and obviously it feels much better. On piste, I am generally trying to carve whenever its practical but obviously skid/steer/pivot when I need to. I think giving up your edge hold on boil plate is best avoided if possible.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jedster, I was taught two ways(2 different instructors)... one was carve - making sure to engage edge patiently and keep everything moving - no statics...

the other was to steer a very patient steered turn... again gently and patiently... and no static spots again... constant change

So very different styles - but both relying on patience, and continual movements in all directions...

The carving is fun where speed is no issue but I found the steering more useful in that it was more adaptable...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

the other was to steer a very patient steered turn... again gently and patiently... and no static spots again... constant change

I think I know what you mean - carve into a turn, gently/progressively steer through the turn to "feather"the tails round a little faster, then pick up the carve again on the way out? The patience/gradual steering means you never get into a horizontal slide?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jedster, yes - I think we are saying the same thing... You accept the skis are going to slide a little - but control where and how that slide occurs... So it occurs in smooth round turn shapes not down the hill sideways direction... It has been variously described to me as 'skiing on eggshells' and 'skiing like you are walking on tissue paper... The trick is not to stop in any one position - as that allows the skis more chance to slide off on you....

Carving is harder as the same need to keep moving is there - but you need a lot of edge finesse skills to engage the edge and keep edge angles changing... the instinct is more to slam the edge on - which will not work...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
true, you can't just slam on the edges but I also find that you can't be half-hearted with your edge angles or you just won't grip. Somehow you have got to make a very smooth transition to a quite aggressive position... tricky but that's the fun and the challenge isn't it?

BTW, this is something I really struggle to do on fat skis. Last week I was skiing on my stormriders which are basically race construction GS skis with a bit more width (75mm underfoot), they really work on this stuff. I wouldn't manage the transition on my prophet 100s (on steep terrain anyway).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jedster, the guy that taught me the noncarving option did so on skis with no real edge - hence part of the reason to learn how he did it... As he said he just had no edges left on his skis... He would get free skis every year in Whistler, and would use those for a full season there and a season down under... by the end of our season they were running out of edge... so he simply did not sharpen them much... carving was not really a great option for him on a decent refreeze... so he showed me how to do it differently... low edge angles and patience worked pretty well...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jedster,

Quote:

BTW, this is something I really struggle to do on fat skis

As others have mentioned carving wide turns as runs get steeper can get very tiring and you don't necessarily get from A to B, i.e. top to bottom any faster, sure you'll be covering more ground at higher speeds but you lose the overall down the falline mileage in the traverse phases. Carving is great fun, but for me I find only in relatively short bursts, I certainly couldn't do it all day long, even higher speed wide turns on steep runs with an element of steering can also get tiring.

Another option....
If I want to keep up on "steeper" terrain "and" am trying to save my legs for later in the day, "for me and for current conditions in europe" I dump the fat skis and get on some nice sharp racy little numbers and ski shortish edge-check-pop, edge-check-pop style swings down the falline, using the tails energy at the end of the turn to reduce effort into the next turn, I find I can get down the hill faster as Ive saved the traverse mileage, I feel I can control my speed better, can keep a better rhythm "saving energy", still get to the bottom with everyone else and for me, most importantly can do it for longer! Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy