Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Power Review - Chalet Sylvie, Courcheval 1550

Poster: A snowHead
Our experience was similar to that posted by Snowtown. 2011 stayed in Skipower's Chalet Sylvie, Courcheval 1550 paying for a premier package. Premier it was not, all the food stuffs in the fridge were 'discount' labels from a French supermarket. Lots of claims about the quality of the service, food and chalet made on Skipower's website simply are not true. No facecloths in the bathrooms, no extra towels for the sauna, no canapes (plural) - one a day, no cheese board, fresh fruit, no fresh bread or milk only frozen and UHT, no six course meals, no after dinner mints, no table linen, no daily cleaning. Food was very basic and presented badly, dirty kitchen and rooms, small chalet with little soundproofing, no games room or satellite TV, scruffy staff. Ran out of toilet paper, lightbulbs didn't work, soap not provided.

Since returning have carried out internet research and from what I have read on forums it would appear that our experience is similar to others traveling with Skipower.
Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rache, welcome to snowHeads......watch out for incoming (I'm off to get the popcorn)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx, while you are there can you get me some, ta Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boredsurfing, sweet or salted?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Obviously your chalet let you down a bit, but some of your expectations are unrealistic:

Quote:
No facecloths in the bathrooms, no extra towels for the sauna

Why were you expecting them? Their website makes it very clear what you get: http://www.skipower.co.uk/Linen.asp

Quote:
No games room or satellite TV

Why were you expecting them? Their website makes it very clear what you get: http://www.skipower.co.uk/Chalets.asp?res=2&cha=17

Quote:
UHT milk

Getting fresh milk in France is reasonably difficult; it's always UHT (and if you think it wasn't on your previous holidays then somebody pulled the wool over your eyes rather well).

Frozen bread appears to be industry standard in chalets, sadly.

Quote:
lightbulbs didn't work
Quote:
no canapes (plural) - one a day, no cheese board
Did you take the rest of this up with the staff? The rep? Head office?

Justging by the prices, they are a bargain basement operator. You get what you pay for. I've never been with them.

Have you ever been on a chalet holiday before?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Did you take the rest of this up with the staff? The rep? Head office?

Justging by the prices, they are a bargain basement operator. You get what you pay for. I've never been with them.

James the Last, Well done, maybe just those two points will save the next 28 pages!

holidayloverxx, Salted please Very Happy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 19-04-11 17:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
have taken the feedback up with the rep/staff. Games room or satellite TV, face cloths, extra towels etc are all quoted as part of the premier package on skipower's website! Price we paid is irrelevant we were sold a premier package and what we received failed to live up to expectations.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have been skiing for 20 years so yes have taken plenty of chalet holidays before!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rache, Unless and until you take up the complaint with their head office ABTA and/or the ASA there really isn't a lot of point in registering on here just to slag them off, is there?
What on earth do you hope to achieve from snowHeads?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rache, edit: spotted where it says you get flannels

"The above is presented on a wooden Prija display board and basket with flannels "

Why were you expecting a 6 course dinner? agreed they say you get cheese and mints and canapes (plural)

Quote from website:
Wednesday

Canapés
Sun dried tomatoes, basil & Brie pancakes
Smoked salmon Roulade
~~~~~~~
Thai fish cakes with sweet chilli sauce
(vegetable cakes with sweet chilli sauce)
~~~~~~~
Chicken breast wrapped in cured ham with sage sauce
(Sweet-corn fritters with mushrooms, cream & sage)
Sautéed vegetables
Steamed wild rice
~~~~~~~
Poached pears in mulled wine with Chantilly cream
~~~~~~~
Cheese plate
~~~~~~~
Coffee with Mints

Why were you expecting table linen, games room or satellite tv?

quote from website

Chalet Sylvie is a brand new chalet built in 2009 luxuriously appointed with beautifull decorations and a wonderful panoramic view of the mountains. Designed and equipped to Ski Power's exceptionally high standards this chalet enters our exclusive Premier range.

A spacious lounge and dining room with real log fire and large widescreen LCD television await you on your return from the slopes every day. Decorated in a traditional Savoyarde style you will be warmly enveloped in comfort.

If you return with aches and pains from the days skiing why not indulge yourself with the chalets own Sauna, with a changing area and shower adjacent to it.

In a new turn for us we've equipped each bedroom with its own television so you can relax in the surroundings and snuggle into Ski Powers Premier bed linen and watch your own choice of television

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 19-04-11 17:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OMG for two reasons
a) that a company publishes thread counts (albeit a luxury holiday)

b) here we go again. Never mind the current snow conditions, summer is here already on snowHeads

holidayloverxx, I'll skip the popcorn this time thanks, off to have my spag bol and I'll try not to present it badly Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thought this was a forum for sharing views and opinions - plenty of others have shared their holiday experiences including Snowtown's comparable review to mine. I don't regard my review as a slagging off but an honest account of my experience. People should be able to make informed decisions when booking holidays that's why these forums are so valuable.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lou, Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rache, Welcome to Snowheads

It's always a shame when holiday don't live upto expectations - but I think your expectations are wide of reality..

rache wrote:
Games room or satellite TV all quoted as part of the premier package on skipower's website!

SkiPower Website wrote:
These chalets benefit from a higher standard of furnishing and include enhanced entertainment and equipment facilities such as games rooms and satellite tv. Please check individual chalet descriptions for exactly what is provided in each chalet.

SkiPowe Website - Chaley Sylvie wrote:
'Satellite TV - Local' - no mention of a Games room.

I'm struggling to see how they could have made that any clearer that you wouldn't get sky sports nor a separate games room. I can't find the reference to face cloths, but if you want to wipe your face with a face cloth that's been used by 10 previous guests that season (however well laundered) then you're welcome, personally I prefer to take my own.

I paid around £650 for a chalet with flight/transfer/accommodation in early March in Meribel with another tour operator - I wasn't expecting much for that price and I got better than I expected. If you were expecting a 'luxury' service for the £634 advertised price - http://www.skipower.co.uk/Chalets.asp?res=2&cha=17 then I think you're somewhat mistaken, and didn't doo too much price benchmarking against other operators - e.g. http://www.scottdunn.com/accommodation/aurea-courchevel-1850.html# which has a guide price of £2,695 per person / week in January and is definitely luxury. Crystal (who are mass market) are charging some £750 for a similar week in 2012 in a similar size chalet (les clocherets) in le praz.

No I don't work for skipower (or within the industry) but I just get a bit bored of people just joining to slag off a given tour operator, particularly when your expectations have no resemblence to reallity.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rache wrote:
Thought this was a forum for sharing views and opinions - plenty of others have shared their holiday experiences including Snowtown's comparable review to mine. I don't regard my review as a slagging off but an honest account of my experience. People should be able to make informed decisions when booking holidays that's why these forums are so valuable.

no problem with you sharing your view, but I would expect folk making a booking to be able to make an informed decision on most of your point just by reading the TOs website - you expected things which were clearly not on offer.

We've had a bit of a week of new posters signing up just to complain about their holiday one way or another..... stick around, as you say the forum is a valuable resource
snow conditions
rache wrote:
Thought this was a forum for sharing views and opinions

It is and thank you for posting. Having now seen their website

Quote:
We have selected Turner Bianca' Catherine Mansfield range of Linen

Quote:
400 Thread count Egyptian Cotton bed sheet

Quote:
enhanced Premier linen and Premier toiletries

I had to laugh. Haven't seen anything as snobbily linen obsessed since Hyacinth Bucket! Laughing
ski holidays
Actually I think you're all being a bit hard on rache. If he/she booked the premier package it does quote
Quote:
pre-dinner canapes ... six course meals .... served on beautiful white linen covered tables ... where there is a Hot Tub or Sauna, extra towels are offered

So I think, on balance, that most of rache's list is actually promised and if they didn't deliver, well, why shouldn't we be told about it?

(Not that I'd want to go there anyway as they sound like a right pretentious bunch of tossers rolling eyes Laughing )
snow conditions
maggi, where does it say that? I had a good look on the TO website but couldn't see it - if I'm wrong then my apologies to rache,

edit - found it

"Our premier service chalets offer the very best cuisine and facilities. These chalets are slightly larger than your average chalet and have enhanced facilities such as jacuzzi en-suite bathrooms for a soothing soak after a day on the slopes, Hot Tubs or Saunas. These chalets benefit from a higher standard of furnishing and include enhanced entertainment and equipment facilities such as games rooms and satellite tv. Please check individual chalet descriptions for exactly what is provided in each chalet.

The catering is of the highest standard with pre-dinner canapes and chef-prepared speciality, six course meals, accompanied by wines imported from our own vineyard, served on beautiful white linen covered tables.

Premier service chalets come with enhanced Premier linen and Premier toiletries. Towels are refreshed mid week and where there is a Hot Tub or Sauna, extra towels are offered, plus you can expect those little extra touches around the chalet that make your holiday special. "

so apologies to rache - the TO website is confusing with the general Premier description under accommodation which is then not followed through on individual chalet description. but it does say "check individual chalet descriptions for exactly what is provided in each chalet" re the entertainmet facilities
latest report
http://www.skipower.co.uk/Service.asp

Quote:
Our premier service chalets offer the very best cuisine and facilities. These chalets are slightly larger than your average chalet and have enhanced facilities such as jacuzzi en-suite bathrooms for a soothing soak after a day on the slopes, Hot Tubs or Saunas. These chalets benefit from a higher standard of furnishing and include enhanced entertainment and equipment facilities such as games rooms and satellite tv. Please check individual chalet descriptions for exactly what is provided in each chalet.

The catering is of the highest standard with pre-dinner canapes and chef-prepared speciality, six course meals, accompanied by wines imported from our own vineyard, served on beautiful white linen covered tables.

Premier service chalets come with enhanced Premier linen and Premier toiletries. Towels are refreshed mid week and where there is a Hot Tub or Sauna, extra towels are offered, plus you can expect those little extra touches around the chalet that make your holiday special.

http://www.skipower.co.uk/Chalets.asp?res=2&cha=17
Chalet Sylvie claims to be a 'Premier Service' chalet.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, yeah, the site is confusing but I just thought that rache was being dismissed when actually there were more than a few niggles and I would have complained too. Nothing major but small things add up when you have been promised Buckingham Palace Toofy Grin
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:
I paid around £650 for a chalet with flight/transfer/accommodation in early March in Meribel with another tour operator - I wasn't expecting much for that price and I got better than I expected. If you were expecting a 'luxury' service for the £634 advertised price - http://www.skipower.co.uk/Chalets.asp?res=2&cha=17 then I think you're somewhat mistaken, and didn't doo too much price benchmarking against other operators - e.g. http://www.scottdunn.com/accommodation/aurea-courchevel-1850.html# which has a guide price of £2,695 per person / week in January and is definitely luxury. Crystal (who are mass market) are charging some £750 for a similar week in 2012 in a similar size chalet (les clocherets) in le praz.

No I don't work for skipower (or within the industry) but I just get a bit bored of people just joining to slag off a given tour operator, particularly when your expectations have no resemblence to reallity.

Ding Ding.
snow report
So you turned up on Saturday evening with your list of expectations and there was no facecloth or spare towel.

What did you do to point out to the chalet staff on the Saturday evening/Sunday morning/Sunday evening that they were absent, and did you mention this to the rep.

Even in the Ritz (which is probably more than £634 for a night, not a week) things can get forgotten. Unless you say something at the time really you have no leg to stand on.
ski holidays
We stayed with Ski Power a couple of years ago in La Tania. It was billed as excellent food and it was all budget ingredients and average food. We ended up buying our own croissants and decent milk as breakfast was home made bread or cereal with UHT milk. You can get pasteurised milk easily in France these days. The logs had run out weeks ago and the hosts were not allowed to buy more. The chalet could have been lovely but it was obvious that it was budget pretending to be more than it was. The room was basic but nice and warm with a good bathroom ,and it was almost slope side so if another company ever took it over I'd go back!
ski holidays
I'm always a bit cynical when people register on a site just to provide a really poor, sometimes over the top review of a holiday they've just been on. I guess everyone's snowheads membership has to start somewhere, but I find in cases like this that its always good to be able to view a person post list to get a fair balance. Just my opinion, of course.
ski holidays
Dav, and resurrecting a thread from 3yrs ago rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy