Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Attaching boards to roof rack questions

Poster: A snowHead
We leave in a week for 2 weeks in Les Arc. Never driven with boards before and want to know the best way to strape to roof.
We will stopping in a motel on the way through france.
Im thinking attach roof rack and strap boards to rack. Should the boards be covered or in the travel bags? If in the travel bags do they get really mucky.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've only used a softrack, designed for carrying surfboards, over long distances I had my boards in a bag as it gave a better surface to grip with the straps and I could put a couple of boards and ski poles in one bag. For short distances I just made sure one strap was between a binding and the nose and the other between the binding and the tail. I wouldn't trust a board by itself without bindings on to stay put though. If there are only two people in the car with boards it's easier to put them in first underneath everything with the bindings off. With the rear seats down any board will fit fine in the car. You can even fit skis inside if the passenger doesn't mind having their door a bit obstructed. My record was 4 snowboards and 4 sets of skis and 1.5 persons kit for a season inside a punto.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

My record was 4 snowboards and 4 sets of skis and 1.5 persons kit for a season inside a punto.

Laughing

I find stuff on top of the car stays reasonably clean.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

My record was 4 snowboards and 4 sets of skis and 1.5 persons kit for a season inside a punto.

8 sets of skis, 4 people and enough gear for a season in a Shogun, No Problem, any advance wink wink

I found that travel bags get much more "mucky" I always feel safer with the gear inside the car
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
surfstar, On the seasons I've done I've wrapped ski's and boards using pallet wrap (heavy duty cling film). Keeps the road grime off them and is quick and easy, and you don't have to worry about bags flapping around.

Board attached to roof rack using bungie cords, 'tip down'.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You're better not covering them with anything unless you can put up with the potential noise/unwrapping problems. After a couple of days riding the snow scours of most of the collected dirt/bugs. Never used it but david@mediacopy's suggestion of pallet wrap sounds worth a chuck though.

One important tip: Get and old piece of garden hose (or similar), split lengthwise and push over both edges for the full length of the metal edge, then strap down wink. Good edges can slice through most types of strap, especially on a long journey.

As regards straps, never had much faith in bungies, so use the small 1" wide ratchet type, using the long excess tails to lash repeatedly.

Tip down.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I never use bungies on roof racks either. Flexible rope and the correct knot. wink Protecting the rope against chafe from the edges is a very good idea too - our skis/boards are in a special rack so they can't escape or chafe.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And never leave them on the roof if you stop at a hotel. Even at service stations, I wouldn't leave the car unattended or out of sight, with boards or skis on the roof.

Three of us went by car last season and we fitted the boards in with a split folding rear seat. This year just me and the wife are driving down so there is plenty of room for our kit inside the car.

If you are mindful of such things, stuff on the roof will reduce your mpg, especially at motorway speeds.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its final. Wrapping the boards in their travel cases and strapping to the roof. No room in the truck as the 3 adults, 1 child and two dogs take up too much room!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
why not get a roof box to clamp onto the roof bars. i've done that in the past and it was a great solution.

i have also crammed boards into rental cars in the past without too much effort (although one year the rental company messed up and gave us a saloon car which made it very hard work to find space for 4 suitcases, 4 people, two snowboards and kit - we managed it after 1hrs work though)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Araldite
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Why not just get some board racks?

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hang11, I have those, and they're great - but hardly worth it for one trip. We use ours for months every year.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Same here, keep a set on the roof all winter, and it's just easy, but they're probably not much more than a soft rack or set of straps, and they last for years.

Probably heaps knocking around cheap second hand on Ebay.

They have OK locks too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Why not just get a pick up truck?
snow conditions
Had 133 pairs of skis in mine just a few days ago, no problem.
ski holidays
we just have our boards in board bags ( with all our boarding clothing too for a bit of padded protection ) and then just strapped them all (3) on top of each other.
wasn't a problem.
ski holidays
bythesea, don't your clothes get wet if it's chucking it down, at 80 mph? Few board bags would be THAT waterproof. Yours must be extra tough.
snow report
Quote:

bythesea, don't your clothes get wet if it's chucking it down, at 80 mph? Few board bags would be THAT waterproof. Yours must be extra tough

my bag is quite water resistant. if not it could be worth putting clothing in the bag in bin bags to make sure they stay dry.
ski holidays
are there any roof racks that can hold both snowboards and surfboards? roof racks for cars not at the same time of course. or should i just get the straps for my surfboards?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 17-05-11 20:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
straps for surfboards, or even better drop your back seat and slide em in (if they fit). if not recline front passenger seat and slide in.
snow report
Quote:

8 sets of skis, 4 people and enough gear for a season in a Shogun, No Problem, any advance wink wink

6 snowboards, a guitar, 2 people and enough kit for a season in a Seat Ibiza? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
carlhfftro, welcome to snowHead snowHead

A soft rack will hold 6 surfboards or a lot of snowboards/skis. It can be worth putting the snowboards in or on a board bag to improve traction for the straps if you have the bindings off. I've done many miles with my FCS one and it has been perfect.
snow conditions
 pollard88
pollard88
I wouldn't trust a populate by itself without bindings on to act put tho'. If there are exclusive two group in the car with boards it's easier to put them in best underneath everything with the bindings off. With the elevate way strike any commission gift fit book in the car. You can smooth fit runner internal if the passenger doesn't head having their entrance a bit choked. My enter was 4 snowboards and 4 sets of skis and 1.5 persons kit for a period privileged a punto.

Cafe Seating
Cafe furniture
Cafe tables
snow report
More spam gold. It's like English, but it doesn't make any sense Very Happy
snow report
pollard88 wrote:
if the passenger doesn't head having their entrance a bit choked
Shocked
snow conditions
I like the idea of 1.5 persons.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy