Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I complain?

Poster: A snowHead
Took a late ski break with a major TO (yes I know!) Toofy Grin
Is it reasonable for the TO to drop a family off at a bus stop leaving them to walk 1/4 mile up a steep hill with their luggage & skis, then having to search for the apartment reception on their own?
On the return we had to be back at the same bus stop for a 04.20 pick up, bus arrived 50 minutes late as driver had got lost, No apology Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did it ruin your holiday? are you that lazy that a walk up a hill (was that suprising? you are UP A MOUNTAIN) put an end to any holiday enjoyment?

Stop reading the pandoras snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry I asked Shock
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
provenjohn, write a pleasant informative letter to TO suggesting that aspect could have been better and then forget about it and move on wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
provenjohn, how old are the kids?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Was it impractical for the coach to get up the hill and back maybe? I'd be a bit annoyed at no apology for a late pick up (especially at that time in the morning), but really not worth the hassle of complaining and not the worst thing in the world.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What did the brochure promise?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you're not happy, complain!

Why ask people's advice on whether you should complain or not?

More importantly, how many lifts were open, was there any snow at all and did you get a refund on your lift pass? wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
Was it impractical for the coach to get up the hill and back maybe? I'd be a bit annoyed at no apology for a late pick up (especially at that time in the morning), but really not worth the hassle of complaining and not the worst thing in the world.

+1 and then DIY next time so you only have yourself to blame wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
provenjohn, depends what the TO said when you were sold the holiday.

Failing all else, sue God, that's what I suggesting elsewhere... Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Monium, idiot, God isn't real anymore.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
provenjohn, from past form, not on this site! wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No its not reasonable for the TO do that. They should have provided a taxi onwards if the bus couldn't get up the hill. We had that at Ellmau this year although it was probably a bit further than 1/4 mile. Took a long time to walk up there anyway!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, agreed, we had a taxi from the coach park in Zell am See to the hotel, where the streets were too narrow for the coach

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 19-04-11 7:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Provenjohn If you can't get a bus to the hotel then walking 400 yards is perfectly reasonable. Running around the village in a taxi or minibus is just as irritating (especially if you are the last drop off). We had to do this in St Anton last time we were there and the minibus took 20 minutes to turn up. We klnew where we were going and could have walked it quicker but of course the rep said it would be here in a minute. It happens in loads of resorts where the streets are narrow or snowy (try Avoriaz where the streets are all snow and there are no cars at all just big sledges to push your luggage around in). I suggest you get luggage with better wheels for next time.

As for the delay in the pick up - of course, it being 04.20 everyone is a bit more grouchy than they might otherwise be and because you are going home and your holiday is over you really just want to get on with the job. On the other hand it is more of a headache for the TO with you getting to the airport later than intended and the possibility of missing your flight - which you would, no doubt, then expect them (justifiably) to sort out.

The thing you have to ask is what was the harm to you and what would be a reasonable resolution that would satisfy you? Sure, you might have expected an apology from the rep or the driver when the bus turned up late but it wouldn't have changed the time he turned up. OK, you might have expected a line in the brochure to say that you would have to walk to your accommodation but you still would have had to walk. A small amount of money £20 - £50 is going to make little difference to your wallet given the general costs of skiing so I can't see what you are looking for?

Personally a bit of a warm up before a weeks skiing is not going to kill you and hanging around a car park early in the morning is a pain but no worse than hanging around a bleak airport an hour longer either (I assume you caught your flight on time or else you I guess you would have told us).

When travelling with a TO you just need to chill out and accept that you will not be dealt with individually but en masse. That's how the model works. As long as you acknowledge it and play the game there are definitely worse things in life.
ski holidays
Name and shame? no way
Ask for comp? no way
Write a letter expressing your thoughts and how they may improve their service? Yup if it makes you feel better.

Just my thoughts
snow report
It is definitely unacceptable, you are the customer and should expect a certain level of service, I would write explaining why you will not be using their company again. To many options at the moment to accept shoddy customer servie!
ski holidays
Thanks for the replies, apart from the one accusing us of being lazy.
Yes I have written a polite letter saying we were not very impressed.
Now to attempt a lift pass refund rolling eyes
ski holidays
provenjohn, IMO, not not really, it's not that big a deal, unless I've missed something. But a polite letter is maybe the best way forward if the inclination is there. For the kind of trip that may find you hiking much worse, it's a bit of a hollow complaint. At least you didn't (probably) have to trudge through snow, wink .

Good luck with the pass refund. Last trip out, the whole area I was in lost the lifts for most of the day. All the people who bought tickets at the booth had instant refunds, and were advised hire costs would also be refunded. Not if you bought a TO ticket though. Talk to your TO, although as yet I've not been ar$ed, as I've a feeling I know how the conversation will go.
latest report
provenjohn, Did you also have to walk down that same hill to the lifts in the morning and back up again in the evening.
I think lazy is a little strong but on the other hand i dont think Nadenoodlee, meant it as the post reads (smiley at the end). But you are on an active holiday so get active, pick your stuff up and just get on with it NehNeh
snow conditions
ricfrench, I do think he is lazy.
snow conditions
provenjohn wrote:
Took a late ski break with a major TO (yes I know!) Toofy Grin
Is it reasonable for the TO to drop a family off at a bus stop leaving them to walk 1/4 mile up a steep hill with their luggage & skis, then having to search for the apartment reception on their own?
Sad

Was this mentioned in the brochure?
snow conditions
lightningdan, LATE DEAL - do you use a brochure to book? Unless it is a) in the T&Cs or b) in the Errata then it's not part of the contract. I'm pretty sure no TO would ever say "drop at your door" in their legal bits.
ski holidays
provenjohn wrote:
then having to search for the apartment reception on their own?(

A quarter of a mile is presumably less than the distance you had to walk at Gatwick.

As for having to search for the apartment reception on your own, was it reasonable that you had to choose your own socks every morning rather than the TO choose them for you?

Why, once they go on a package holiday, do people feel that everything should be done for them. (I must be honest, I hate that aspect of a package holiday. "No I jolly well do not want you to book my skis, or ski lessons, or restaurant. I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself, and if I've done it then I have only myself to blame so it's much less stressful than if you've messed up.")
ski holidays
provenjohn, all of your questions depend on the quality level (read: price) of your holiday.

If you paid thousands and thousands for some kind of VIP treatment 5* Gold Standard holiday, then it sounds like you've been had.

On the other hand, if it was some bog standard £600pp package deal, then I can't see that you have any genuine complaint about a 400m walk.

The 50 minute delay sounds avoidable, and a justifiable complaint, but really what do expect will happen apart from "sorry"?
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
ricfrench, I do think he is lazy.

And I think you are extremely rude Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
provenjohn, I agree with you. I'm not lazy, but I cannot carry my skis, boots and bag (I don't have the physical strength) qtr of a mile and definitely not up a steep hill. Having said that, if there was something which said "note there is an uphill walk to the apartment" as I have seen on any number of TO sites I would have contacted the TO and asked if they could order a taxi. If there was no indication then I would have asked them nicely at the time what they could do to help.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx,
Quote:

I'm not lazy, but I cannot carry my skis, boots and bag (I don't have the physical strength) qtr of a mile and definitely not up a steep hill.
+1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, how, pray tell, do you get to the lift in a morning?
snow conditions
We have in the past been dropped off some distance from our accommodation (Belle Plagne) , but on the occasions we had to walk (it is pedestrianised after all) our luggage was taken up in the handymans van, and we were then met at reception.
At the time we had two small children, and it would have been impossible to carry luggage and supervise kids without assistance. No to mention the lifts were out of order.
snow report
Guvnor wrote:
holidayloverxx, how, pray tell, do you get to the lift in a morning?

I walk carrying my skis, but not my 20kg bag!
snow report
holidayloverxx, in your ski boots, with all your ski gear on, no doubt?
snow conditions
Guvnor, funnily enough, my ski gear doesn't weigh 20kg, and I doubt that holidayloverxx's does either. And it's a lot easier to carry a pair of skis than a ski bag. Similarly, it's easier to walk in ski boots than to carry them along with a ski bag and a suitcase. So I'm wondering if you are making anything other than an idiotic point.
snow report
provenjohn, are you sure you got off at the right bus stop?
snow conditions
Guvnor wrote:
holidayloverxx, in your ski boots, with all your ski gear on, no doubt?

don't presume to know what I can can cannot carry - you do not know me
latest report
provenjohn, sulking because you had to walk 1/4 mile is lazy. You walk farther than that from the airport front door to the check in desk. I am genuinely suprised that someone who is going on a ski holiday wants to complain about this. Get some perspective.
snow report
http://www.mywebpower.com/graphics/media/funny_pictures/funny_escalator_fitness.jpg
snow conditions
in the circumstances i wouldn't complain. I would be quite content to walk a bit. The late bus is a pain but again it has been my experience that on TO arranged trips, bus connections can often be late. It is definitely a pain but I couldn't be bothered complaining about it. Each to their own though. If you feel you want to complain then I won't criticise. Do let us know how you get on.
latest report
DB, would that be a US centre ? A friend was amazed when he went to the states to stay with friends and they took a car to go to the next door neighbours BBQ, it was further to get in the car and go down their drive then up the neighbours than it was to simply walk across the lawns at the front of their two houses (about 150 ft door to door) but that's what they did, 500ft car journey and 20 ft walking, he said the bizarre thing was that each morning they'd do 30 mins to an hour of jogging on their home treadmill.

provenjohn, leaving a family especially one with young kids and lots of luggage with a 1/4 mile walk seems a bit unreasonable especially if not mentioned in the brochure/website or whilst booking
snow report
D G Orf,

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0808/exercise-lazy-funny-fitness-demotivational-poster-1218329128.jpg
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy