Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What are the skiers legal rights in view of very poor snow conditions this year?

Poster: A snowHead
Agenterre wrote:
pam w, Lou, .. because everyone has decided to jump on newbies/causes with playground 'humour'. No one individual, not just one thread; but when the language and 'humour' descends to that level then as a community we should wonder wtf is going on .... I have never / nor ever will be a paragon of virtue but recent stuff is pathetic Sad

The OP (dopey old fool) thought he'd use this forum as weapon and instead he shot himself in the foot with it. Serves the old fart right.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 22-04-11 14:03; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ooh, its like Lord of the Flies here innit? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lou, Bless, that poor old dear (agenterre) is just worried that we don't always listen to him - the oldest member... Wink sitting in the corner of snowHeads in his bathchair, with his blanket over his knees and his gorgeous younger companion passing posts on to him via his ear-trumpet...

Agenterre, very funny - but actually the more recent posters may have a point in suggesting some perspective in that a) madskier claims to be very experienced yet shows no sign of it in his ability to make his own assessments of snow conditions or understand how TOs work, b) others around at the same time had a good time skiing there, c) The content of his posts is deteriorating to the level of lists of every bowel motion he has ever passed... written in green ink.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

others around at the same time had a good time skiing there

And there we have in interesting point. I've heard the following assessments of this season:

- cr@p (freerider and ski tourer, rarely skis in resort)
- awesome (several park rats, loved January's hard snow and sunshine)
- we've had a great time but I'm glad we came this week, you'll need more snow soon (every tourist I've chatted to on the lifts all season)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoat the plagiarist, ... Yawn rolling eyes ...... how I once described the occupants of the Wimbledon massif --- looks like Stoats have good memories too. The insults start on Page 1 against the OP. I'm not sure that I would like your mate PJSki suggesting my OH was a retard either.... we would start getting arsey if that is how we were treated on our first thread.

PJSki, If you think complaints against the SCGB are libelous take it up with Bode
Quote:
That said, snow reporting is shockingly bad from certain quarters and SCGB is probably the worst offender given their apparent trusted status and them having people on the ground out there
rather than threatening the OP a , new to here, punter. He (Bode) repeatedly has proven he knows his subject on skiing matters so a more worthy opponent for your ire, if you are man enough.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoat of the dead, I'll have you know that there's nothing wrong with sitting in the corner of snowHeads in a bathchair .. ooops, no. I've just remembered that I am officially young. Madeye-Smiley Someone get the rug off my knees. Quickly, now.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 22-04-11 14:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agenterre wrote:

PJSki, If you think complaints against the SCGB are libelous take it up with Bode
Quote:
That said, snow reporting is shockingly bad from certain quarters and SCGB is probably the worst offender given their apparent trusted status and them having people on the ground out there
rather than threatening the OP a , new to here, punter. He (Bode) repeatedly has proven he knows his subject on skiing matters so a more worthy opponent for your ire, if you are man enough.

That's just Bode's opinion, which he is entitled to, but he hasn't accused the SCGB of being dishonest. The OP has accused the SCGB of dishonesty, which is a whole new ball games. He talks of the SCGB not being an "honest (snow) broker" for example. But he has failed to prove dishonest in this case. You should go back and read davidof's posts. Then there's also all the reports from other people who where there at the same time and enjoyed the skiing.

Basically I think the OP is a skiing dimwit. And I'm glad he's not joining the SCGB. He got just what he deserved in this thread, which was a bloody good kicking.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PJSki, On re-reading ... pretty subtle differentiation but I see your point totally.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agenterre wrote:
PJSki, On re-reading ... pretty subtle differentiation but I see your point totally.

NP. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depends what you mean by dishonest, the SCGB snow reports are not exactly a full account of snow conditions they have always painted a pretty rose tinted view of what conditions are like. Considering they are meant to serve their members and not the resorts I would say they are frequently a dishonest representation of snow conditions particularly form the reps, who are meant to give an honest account.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
T Bar wrote:
Depends what you mean by dishonest, the SCGB snow reports are not exactly a full account of snow conditions they have always painted a pretty rose tinted view of what conditions are like. Considering they are meant to serve their members and not the resorts I would say they are frequently a dishonest representation of snow conditions particularly form the reps, when they are meant to be an honest account.

The reps are there every day and in tune with things. If they find good snow and have a good day then that's what they report. I halfway decent skier, which most of them are, with a good understanding of the mountain, weather and snow pack, will find at least fair conditions even in conditions like on OP is whining about.

If you have evidence of dishonesty then put your name to your allegations and give your accused the chance to refute. But, of course, you'll just hide behind anonymity, where it's nice and safe for you. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PJSki wrote:
If you have evidence of dishonesty then put your name to your allegations and give your accused the chance to refute. But, of course, you'll just hide behind anonymity, where it's nice and safe for you. wink

so would you care to put your name to what you say on here wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops wrote:
PJSki wrote:

so would you care to put your name to what you say on here wink

It's PJ to you. And I'm not making allegations of dishonesty.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 22-04-11 15:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
double post

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 22-04-11 15:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

If they find good snow and have a good day then that's what they report.

A full and fair report is what is useful to people reading the reports not what a wonderful time the rep has and how clever he or she is in finding a bit of snow. An overview of skiing in the resort is useful not cherry picking the best bits, this should be given warts and all. Supressing inconvenient truths is dishonest and this is what frequently happens in reps reports making them a lot less useful to those planning holidays than they should be.

Quote:

But, of course, you'll just hide behind anonymity, where it's nice and safe for you.

mirror mirror on the wall.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

If they find good snow and have a good day then that's what they report.

A full and fair report is what is useful to people reading the reports not what a wonderful time the rep has and how clever he or she is in finding a bit of snow. An overview of skiing in the resort is useful not cherry picking the best bits, this should be given warts and all. Supressing inconvenient truths is dishonest and this is what frequently happens in reps reports making them a lot less useful to those planning holidays than they should be.

So you're saying the reps should go looking for shit so they can report it?
snow report
PJSki,
Quote:

So you're saying the reps should go looking for poo-poo so they can report it?

I have not been with a guide yet who does not encounter poor conditions however clever, the reps do not report these condiionsd. If they are so fantastically clever that they cna find good snow they must be aware of the times when there is very poor snow,The SCGB is a club paid for by its members a true and honest account of the snow is much more useful to them than an account ofwhat a wonderful time the rep is having. The reports fail to distinguish adequately between when good conditions are widespread and when they are confined to a small area. There is virtually never mention of marginal snow conditions which could lead to run closures which may be useful when planning a holiday.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
PJSki,
Quote:

So you're saying the reps should go looking for poo-poo so they can report it?

I have not been with a guide yet who does not encounter poor conditions however clever, the reps do not report these condiionsd. If they are so fantastically clever that they cna find good snow they must be aware of the times when there is very poor snow,The SCGB is a club paid for by its members a true and honest account of the snow is much more useful to them than an account ofwhat a wonderful time the rep is having. The reports fail to distinguish adequately between when good conditions are widespread and when they are confined to a small area. There is virtually never mention of marginal snow conditions which could lead to run closures which may be useful when planning a holiday.

They didn't need to report every rocky or icy patch they encounter. A summary is enough for me. If the conditions are generally good then that comes across in the reports. All the reports are, are a snapshot of the day in question and anyone who books based on just that is a fecking idiot.

In the report for Tignes, I read that the Pistes are 'spring snow', the off piste is 'varied' and the resort runs are 'heavy'. That paints a pretty honest picture, imo.
snow report
Quote:

the off piste is 'varied'

It tells me nothing other than it is not all identical.

I have also come accross reports of resort runs open which was true for one out of four runs the other three being closed the plural therefore was patently untrue. ( I was in the reosort skiing with the rep who too her credit did actually change it after I pointed out that it was unture ) But have come accross othe similar misrepresentations.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

the off piste is 'varied'

It tells me nothing other than it is not all identical.

Then you need to go and read the rep's report where he goes into more detail.

Quote:
I have also come accross reports of resort runs open which was true for one out of four runs the other three being closed the plural therefore was patently untrue. ( I was in the reosort skiing with the rep who too her credit did actually change it after I pointed out that it was unture ) But have come accross othe similar misrepresentations.

The reporting for resort runs is scripted under the heading 'Resort Runs', plural, and cannot be changed. I think you are really stretching to find evidence to back up your accusation.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 22-04-11 16:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

The reporting for resort runs is scripted under the heading 'Resort Runs', plural, and cannot be changed.

As they did change it to one open this is not true.
Quote:

No he doesn't he talks about lunch and the weather.
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

The reporting for resort runs is scripted under the heading 'Resort Runs', plural, and cannot be changed.

As they did change it to one open this is not true.

No, it is true. It's a script and there is no option for 'one open'.
ski holidays
PJski wrote:

T-bar wrote:
No he doesn't he talks about lunch and the weather.

Yes he did. The report has been undated, so you missed the one from yesterday.
ski holidays
Quote:

Hmm I was told by the rep that it was changed.

Quote:

The report has been undated, so you missed the one from yesterday.

Indeed I did and today wer get lunch.
latest report
Honestly. rolling eyes Look, no-one's interested in the politics of SCGB snow reports. Everyone knows they're derived from tourist office information and nobody who wants accurate reports bothers with them, all right?
latest report
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

Hmm I was told by the rep that it was changed.

Quote:

The report has been undated, so you missed the one from yesterday.

Indeed I did and today wer get lunch.

Try reading the whole thing:

Quote:
A good day had by all!

Or even call him on the phone if that's not enough. Maybe he didn't go into enough detail about what the snow crystals looked like under his microscope!

Anyway, you think you can do better, then become a rep. I doubt you'd get past the interview, though.
snow conditions
Agenterre, Plagiarism indeed. Of myself describing DG. Look it up. About 3 years ago.

I haven't seen or spoken to PJ for over 3 years btw. interesting to see you now accept his post was correct though Wink

Bottom line. You welcomed a new sH who had come here exclusively to blame anyone but himself for his misfortune. And then trashed those who disagreed with him. Nice one. I'm pretty sure you wouldnt have posted in the way he did or made the allegations he did.

Anyway, Achilles has given you your blanket back. Countdown should be on soon. You left your best teeth in the dining-room. Wink
ski holidays
Agenterre wrote:
stoat the plagiarist, ... Yawn rolling eyes ...... how I once described the occupants of the Wimbledon massif ---

Which occupants are they, by the way? Last I checked, the Ski Club was actually run almost exclusively by a bunch of twenty and thirty-something, very attractive females.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PJSki,
Quote:

Quote:
A good day had by all!

Which does not tell me about the offpiste snow.

Quote:

Anyway, you think you can do better, then become a rep. I doubt you'd get past the interview, though.

Not being clubbable or a particularly good skier you are proabaly right but that is irrelevant when discussing the honesty or otherwise of the SCGB snow disinformation service.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
PJSki,
Quote:

Quote:
A good day had by all!

Which does not tell me about the offpiste snow.

It was an on-piste day. Anyone with any snow craft knows what 'variable' means. Even if he went into infinite detail about every inch of off-piste, it would most likely all change overnight and by the hour tomorrow anyway! Feck sake, anyone who thinks they can book in advance on the back of a summary of a day's skiing is beyond help. Like I said, fecking ring the cnut up if you want more info! In fact, why don't you ask him what it will be like next January?
ski holidays
stoat of the dead, I trashed ( and still would ) those who chose to throw insults and threat at someone who believes he has a valid point .. if you read my first post ( rather than re-inventing history), you will see that I agree it is a case of 'caveat emptor'. PJSki should have made his real concern ( and it is valid imo ) clearer rather than muck-spreading and then resorting to insult and abuse. Someone said this might run to 10 pages ... looks like they are right. Total Outcome --- 1 newbie peed off and the inmates feeling good having had a good old self-congratulatory rampage through the corridors.

The teeth that aren't mine are screwed in .... in case I lose them. wink
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
Total Outcome --- 1 newbie peed off and the inmates feeling good having had a good old self-congratulatory rampage through the corridors.

Did he deserve it? Yes he did!
snow report
Agenterre, no mate - to quote your own words

Quote:
...wouldnt worry about being accusations of "Joining for a whinge". 80% of regular posters here joined for that reason and now have thousands of posts to that effect. This 'newbie bashing' ( for those thick-skinned enough to stay) is quickly rectified. As soon you are not a new poster we will consider you part of "The Gang" and will totally agree with whatever bollox you spout out and sympathy and empathy will gush. The other 20% of regular posters have never got over the loss of the common room in public school so come hear to vent adolescent frustrations --- your only problem will be differentiating between the two groups --- and those who belong to both.

total rubbish.

Most newbies are welcomed, because very few of them - and very few of us who have been around longer - have joined just to whinge. Then on to your silly generalisations. Some stirring plain and simple really.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 22-04-11 18:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
On 18th March "mr big ad" joined this board and in the space of about ten days, made over forty posts all about a daft proposition to construct a ski resort in England. He only ever posted on the one thread and then went quiet.

We now have "mad skier" who joined on 18th April and has made almost thirty posts, also all on one thread.

The similarities are that the views put forward by the OP throughout the threads each time, in most people's opinion I think it is fair to say, are a bit silly if not totally unreasonable. In addition the responses of "both" of them ignore any contradictory point of view no matter how intelligently expressed and often contain obsessive amounts of detail.

"mad skier" tries to convince us that his command of English is not perfect but I hope nobody is falling for that.

Anyone for sock puppets?
latest report
It is really, really, hard to believe that anyone who has skied for so long, and been an instructor (not to mention a junior racer....), has never known anything other than perfect conditions. And why would anyone who genuinely had so much experience rely on a daft bloke on a bus to tell him where it's at? Not many people on this thread have been rude - or not, at least, until pushed beyond the normal limits of patience and tolerance by the behaviour which richjp so accurately descibes. What the OP has mainly achieved is enabling some old hands to have a right moan at some other old hands.

Still not sure quite what poor Lou did, to get it in the neck though.

We should be grateful really - nothing much else going on, is there? wink
latest report
pam w, indeed...

Quote:
Still not sure quite what poor Lou did, to get it in the neck though.

annoyed Agenterre it seems - and his treatment of her - when she was making only a gentle dig at madskier's latest OTT post is why I posted. Confused
snow report
Quote:

his treatment of her - when she was making only a gentle dig at madskier's latest OTT post is why I posted.

yeah, me too. that's how these things develop a life of their own, isn't it?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

his treatment of her - when she was making only a gentle dig at madskier's latest OTT post is why I posted.

yeah, me too. that's how these things develop a life of their own, isn't it?

I concur.
ski holidays
richjp wrote:
On 18th March "mr big ad" joined this board and in the space of about ten days, made over forty posts all about a daft proposition to construct a ski resort in England. He only ever posted on the one thread and then went quiet.

We now have "mad skier" who joined on 18th April and has made almost thirty posts, also all on one thread.

The similarities are that the views put forward by the OP throughout the threads each time, in most people's opinion I think it is fair to say, are a bit silly if not totally unreasonable. In addition the responses of "both" of them ignore any contradictory point of view no matter how intelligently expressed and often contain obsessive amounts of detail.

"mad skier" tries to convince us that his command of English is not perfect but I hope nobody is falling for that.

Anyone for sock puppets?

Logical and insightful as always.
latest report
Madskier you really should have gone to West Canada. Whats wrong with that for a week? I've just returned from Banff and had booked last minute like everyone else I spoke to on the plane. We all had excellent snow and really cheap last minute prices.
I looked at webcams and knew there was nowhere in Europe to compare with what I could get in Canada.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy