Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What are the skiers legal rights in view of very poor snow conditions this year?

Poster: A snowHead
madskier, Welcome to snowHead . I hope you enjoy your stay, looks like it may be a long one .... I wouldnt worry about being accusations of "Joining for a whinge". 80% of regular posters here joined for that reason and now have thousands of posts to that effect. This 'newbie bashing' ( for those thick-skinned enough to stay) is quickly rectified. As soon you are not a new poster we will consider you part of "The Gang" and will totally agree with whatever bollox you spout out and sympathy and empathy will gush. The other 20% of regular posters have never got over the loss of the common room in public school so come hear to vent adolescent frustrations --- your only problem will be differentiating between the two groups --- and those who belong to both.

Your Original Question? Get over It ... you should have known by your age to be wary of claims made by those with a vested interest if it wasnt backed up by contractual commitment. wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agenterre, quality Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was in La PLagne last week (the same one that madskier was in Les Arcs). I was amazed at how GOOD the skiing was. Not because it was great but because I'd worked out that very little snow and very high temperatures was going to be BAD NEWS! Expectations were low....

To my mind the pisteurs worked miracles to keep as much open as they did. Madskier sounds like he should be a better skier than me (I've never been an instructor) but I disagree with his version or what is skiable. Every run of the Roche de Mio was very skiable. One run all the way down to Champagny had genuinely good cover (no rock dodging required!). Sure there were a lot of bare patches on pistes below 2200m but any competent skier could avoid them. Sure things got slushy in the afternoon but what do you expect in mid-April? Ski until a late lunch then a brief spell of water skiing is what I expect.

"Disasterous"? Guess everything is in the eye of the beholder. But perhaps it shows the value of a positive mindset. Personally I quite enjoy the challenge of adjusting from ice to slush, dodging bare patches and skipping over rocks. I also skiied with my kids some of the time (8 and 6) and they weren't put off.

Still, here's hoping for more snow next year,

J
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
madskier wrote:

Negligent slandering? If you sell someone holiday and non refundable ski pass knowing that conditions are such that they will not enjoy their skiing, then you are deceiving people into parting with the money under false pretences.

If this is picture of a resort which was skiable in a normal sense of the world, then be my guest.
btw. I have no idea what Pandora you are referring too.

Listen, Madskier - the reason you are getting crap on here has got nothing to do with your loical arguments and however you put them
You have never been on here before but all you have come on here for is to slag someone off, whether they need it or not.

Given that we did not apparently have teh disbenefit of the lack of yoru 59 years of skiing experience before you appeared, do you seriously think we are pooing orselves with joy that you have no joined us, just so that (by the evidence of the kinds of post you have come on here to post) you can slag people off

Calm down, enjoy the world, its eccentricities and vagueries, and the diversity of the people on here and meet some new friends

Alternatively , keep telling your new "friends" on here that you are right and go on keep believing it, and wondering why we keep criticising your posts back at you

Btw , welcome to snowHead Smile

PPPPPPPPPPS I dont know who Pandora was either, but she came on here to have a go at some company (might also have been called SkiBeat) and she got a battering as well - so youre in good company.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PS Anyone know what happened to Phil keith ??? Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sev112, no, but I've reopened the awards thread today Embarassed (i am a very naughty girl Twisted Evil )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sev112, He's on my friend list on FB, who is he?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, according to Facebook, PK was moving 35000 bags around London at the weekend.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells wrote:
holidayloverxx, according to Facebook, PK was moving 35000 bags around London at the weekend.

What a man ! Hell's Bells, I dont even know that many women
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
sev112, He's on my friend list on FB, who is he?

AFAIK Mr Keith will sell you advertising banners on snowHeads should you need them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agenterre, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jedster, agree with you about that. We only went to La Plagne side for one day, but the run down towards Champagny from Roche de Mio was my favourite run of the whole week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This season has anyway been bad, but to go in april is even a good season a gamble, but anyway, with right skiis, slush kan be fun, in high speed and big turns,, nice? THERE IS NO BAD SNOW,, ONLY BAD SKIER Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Madskier you should have gone to Les Menuires. If you are unhappy with the snow there and leave early they will refund your unused lift pass and accomodation costs!

http://en.lesmenuires.com/winter/snow-guarantee-155.htm
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio wrote:
Also: 49 years experience, and doesn't know that "Les Arc" is plural, despite actually being there last week.

madskier, you're not the sharpest peanut in the turd are you mate.

Are you discribing your favourite mountain snack?

does paulio mean little prick in Spanish?

Why do not you wear ski pole in your trousers to impress the ladies?
ski holidays
Maybe I do.
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
madskier wrote:
However no apartment owner ever demanded full payment on rubbish week and never even threatened loss of deposit if they fail to turn up.

You're right. I went to the Lake District and it rained every day and the owner of the holiday cottage gave me a refund because the sun had never come out. He said if we'd looked at the weather forecast it would have been fine to have cancelled and he wouldn't have charged us at all.

rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

I was not talking about Lake District.

I just went on the accomodation search website in St Anton and here are the terms and conditions:

http://ski-st-anton.com/st-anton-hotel-pension-apartment-accommodation.html

Arrival before 6 p.m. (local time)
Arrival after 6 p.m. (local time)
To guarantee your booking, please make a deposit of EUR 216.00. Bank data will be submitted together with your booking confirmation. Cancellation is no longer free of charge.
In case of a cancellation you have to pay the following:
from 3 days prior to arrival: 40%
from 7 days prior to arrival: 40%
from 14 days prior to arrival: 40%
No-show: 90%
of the total holiday price.

So before accusing me of telling lies about European booking terms, check your FACTS instead of using UK example which is irrelevant to what I wrote
latest report
madskier, you are an idiot.
snow report
madskier, you're being unreasonable. It's up to you to read the terms and conditions of sale before you agree to buy anything - lift passes, bondage gear, ride-on lawnmowers, whatever. If you don't like them, you go to another supplier. As far as I can see the only thing you have to complain about is that Ski Beat's rep sold you a pass which wasn't best value for money under the circumstances. I am, however, rather astonished that someone with nearly 50 years skiing experience would even think about buying a lift pass on a transfer coach at any time, and particularly right at the end of a poor snow season.
snow report
madskier, you're a tw@t on so many levels. Anyway, you should man up and give your full name and contact details so that those you have so clearly libelled can have the opportunity to sue you.
snow report
Genuine question Lizzard, and maybe a little OT, I don't have the benefit of nearly 50yrs ski holiday experience.... but if conditions are fine, and you know you want a 6 day pass for that specific area, what is wrong with buying it on the transfer coach?

There isn't usually any price difference, plus someone else will do the queueing to get the pass and deliver it to you before you are able to ski in most cases.
snow conditions
Oh dear, I almost feel guilty. We were in Zermatt last week. Admittedly below 2000m was a bit iffy but we even had snowfall lying on the roads in the resort mid week. Friday afternoon I skied on the Italian side up until 4:30pm and had a fantastic time. Admittedly I took the lift back to the resort from mid-station as you needed waterskis to get back to the bottom on runs which were described as "Open". Ah well, I suppose if you have rental skis then who cares.

Anyway, after all this rambling my point sort of is if the OP had done a bit more research, looking around as others have stated, he'd have had a good time by going somewhere else. With the vast resources of the internet at hand one can get a good broad idea of what the resorts are REALLY like. All I can suggest is lesson-learnt and move on.

Incidentally we were partially lucky as I booked this months ago. However I did look at north facing resorts, snow history in April, old forums and TRs etc to try and second guess where would be likely to be least bad should there be a warm spell. I guess you make your own luck !
snow report
hammerite wrote:
Genuine question Lizzard, and maybe a little OT, I don't have the benefit of nearly 50yrs ski holiday experience.... but if conditions are fine, and you know you want a 6 day pass for that specific area, what is wrong with buying it on the transfer coach?

There isn't usually any price difference, plus someone else will do the queueing to get the pass and deliver it to you before you are able to ski in most cases.

Depends on your attitude to TO margin and rep's commision/targets etc. I have know the very odd (small) TO kickback some of their not insignificant discount in the form of a reduction on the "window price". Otherwise its down to your confidence in the perhaps spotty youth's ability to get your name right, buy the passes, get up early enough on your first morning, deliver them to your accomodation etc etc.
ski holidays
hammerite, you're subject to the TO's standard exchange rate, which may or may not be favourable (but probably not); there are frequently discounts available online in advance; there are certain deals the TO won't offer (eg family passes) because they get no commission; reps are often not as well-informed as you might like (eg I met a 74-year-old Neilson guest this season who had paid for a pass because the rep told her she couldn't have a free one until she was 75 - actually it's 72+).

I agree that you want to avoid queueing on arrival, but the answer to that is to order online and have it posted to you.
ski holidays
It too me 2 mins to find this on Google - the snow report From lesarcsnet.com, posted on 2nd April:

Hot, hot, hot in the Paradiski today where temperatures have reached over 20° in some parts of the resort! It is really sunbathing weather, not skiing weather, one thing is for sure, no layers are needed. You could have easily got away with a t-shirt on the mountain today, there was a lot of lazing around on the terraces and a lot of sunscreen needed.

Needless to say that this heat and sunshine is doing much for the quality of the snow, there is so much slush around below around 2200m. There was a tiny amount of snow on Wednesday but nothing changed in terms of coverage as it only fell higher up over 2500m and it was very minimal.

In the lower areas of the resort some pistes are inaccessible and there has been talk that even the villages of Arc 1600 and 1800 may close on 17th April instead of closing with 1950 and 2000 as usual. The Peisey-Vallandry area will almost certainly be one of the first areas to close should dates be brought forward as may other lower altitude villages in La Plagne such as Montalbert that is struggling as Montchavin-Les Coches and Champagny are too. It’s difficult to find out exactly what’s going on at the moment.

In Peisey-Vallandry the Combe red is now closed as is the Combe lift although access to the villages of Plan Peisey and Vallandry and the Vanoise Express are still easily accessible, it’s just the pistes are very bumpy and slushy by 11am. The Ourson red in the Peisey sector has also fallen foul of the effects of this glorious sun. In Arc 1600 the red Arolles is closed but the Cachette that runs parallel is still ok. The Comborciere black is closed too but the chair lift of the same name is still running in order to ferry people back over from below Arc 1950 to the Arc 1600 sector. Perhaps more significant is the closures of the two chair lifts of the Villards and the Grand Renard. This is not due to lack of snow but more lack of demand as the Trans-Arc bubble services the same runs. It is just the Stade de Slalom run that is no longer open in the Arc 1800 sector. Villaroger is pretty much finished for the season, it has been tough over there this year and only the Aigulle Rouge red is provisionally open now.

So it’s not all doom and gloom in Les Arcs and neither is it in La Plagne. The village of Champagny is suffering the most in terms of piste service. In fact, both the Mont de la Guerre and the Plan Bois red runs, that always suffer late season with lack of snow, are now closed and access is only via the Champagny bubble. This is not a problem as the bubble takes you straight up above the trees to the open runs of the rest of the sector. Montalbert always fares better as there is plenty of shelter from the trees so most runs are still in good condition considering. It’s really not worth trying to get down to the village of Montchavin on piste, I choose to take the Coches bubble down instead.

The previous post a on 29th had this amongst a wider description:

"Piste wise there are more lower pistes closing by the day due to both rain and sun damage. Certain runs down into Peisey-Vallandry, Montchavin-Les Coches and Montalbert are now inaccessible"
snow report
fatbob, Lizzard, thanks, yes exchange rate is probably the main thing. I have no problem with a rep earning a bit of commission - I'm in sales myself so understand this, and I'll also usually get an idea as to how much a lift pass should cost from the resort website. You are right about the info reps have, we've had a couple of really good ones, we've also had some woeful ones.

We usually buy ours well in advance, from the TO so we can just get the payment out of the way and forget about it, usually with the cost bundled with ski hire. In most cases it's worked out more economical to do it this way - even though someone else has got my money way before they have to pay out!

For last weeks trip we did it on booking as we got a free childs pass, when we got on the transfer coach we were told that there was now a 6 days for the price of 5 offer and that we'd get a refund for of 1/6 of the cost. We were pleasantly surprised that the TO had passed on to us.
latest report
I usually find on arrival day that I'll go for a bit of a recce round the town to get the lie of the land anyway, so spending 5 minutes at the lift pass office rarely seems like anything more than the most minor of minor annoyances. Buying things off the bus-rep (on the one occasion I've done a package holiday) didn't even occur to me, but that might simply be the punk rock DIY spirit that courses through my heroic veins and keeps my warrior soul ablaze with the intensity of a thousand of your puny suns.
snow conditions
hammerite you have hit the nail on the head. Sometimes it is the right thing to do, sometimes it isn't. It depends on your situation at the time. There is certainly a price on convenience that few people actually count in their assessment. It is a bit like trading in your old car with the garage when you buy another one. Undoubtedly it is better in financial terms to sell your car privately in a different transaction but some people don't want to enter the world of second hand car sales so trade it in as part of their new car purchase. It is no different to DIY vs TO holidays or self catering vs hotel IMHO. Each to their own. Sometimes I buy a pass from the rep, sometimes from the kiosk. It is all about having the right information which requires a bit of research. Given the poor snow reports I chose to forego my usual week in early April as I don't think it's a good year for skiing having been at Christmas and in January. However, loads of snowHead are coming back with great reports (particularly in Italy) of some good conditions making me a little upset but I had made my own decision and am not looking to sue anyone.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
madskier wrote:
[I just went on the accomodation search website in St Anton and here are the terms and conditions:

Strangely that's nowhere on the link you provided.

Quote:
So before accusing me of telling lies about European booking terms

Did I?
snow report
Tiger2, hang on I think you have an angle though. You could sue all those people who are reporting having great trips for upsetting you. Could work? Oh ok perhaps not. Laughing
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
madskier wrote:
[I just went on the accomodation search website in St Anton and here are the terms and conditions:

Strangely that's nowhere on the link you provided.

Quote:
So before accusing me of telling lies about European booking terms

Did I?

But it is there if you bother to follow the link to choose the dates and book apartments.

I just used the link again and five other people in my office. If you choose the dates and then apartment option and number of nights you would get apartment displayed. If you carry on with the booking process, then you will see what I quoted at step 4 of the booking process:

You book/you are booking 1 Apartment for: 2 Adults Apr 30, 2011-May 7, 2011
Content
Go to Metanavigation
Go to Product Overview
Go to MyTiscover Login
Enter Address Data
Skip ContentProduct Overview - skip Apart Bellevue
Private Holiday Home
Pettneu Selected rooms
Room(s)Total price for 7 nights1 Appartement Arlberg (No Food Arrangements) 400.00 Total price in EUR
400.00 Deposit 160.00
In addition to the total amount, the following services have to be paid separately at the accommodation:
End-of-stay cleaning fee: 35.00 EUR

In addition to the total amount, the following services have to be paid separately at the accommodation:
Pets: 7.00 EUR per day
Booker's Information
The fields marked with * are required.
MyTiscover Login
If you are a registered MyTiscover member please enter your e-mail and your password and click on "Login". E-Mail: Password:

Your advantages:

•free registration
•saving of your bookings
•saving of your result list
•saving of personal data for later

Address Data - skipFirst Name * Last Name * Street Address * ZIP/Post Code * Town * E-Mail * Telephone * Country * ------------------------GermanyItalyNetherlandsAustriaHungary------------------------AfghanistanEgyptAlbaniaAlgeriaSamoaAndorraAngolaAnguillaAntarcticAntigua and BarbudaEquatorial GuineaArgentinaArmeniaArubaAzerbaijanEthiopiaAustraliaBahamasBahrainBangladeshBarbadosBelarusBelgiumBelizeBeninBermudasBhutanBoliviaBosnia And HerzegovinaBotswanaBrazilVirgin Islands, United KingdomBruneiBulgariaBurkina FasoBurundiCayman IslandsChileChinaChristmas IslandsCook IslandsCosta RicaIvory CoastDenmarkGermanyDominicaDominican RepublicDjiboutiEcuadorEl SalvadorEritreaEstoniaFalkland IslandsFaroe IslandsFijiFinlandFranceFrench GuyanaFrench PolynesiaGabounGambiaGeorgiaGhanaGibraltarGrenadaGreeceGreenlandGreat BritainGuadaloupeGuamGuatemalaGuineaGuinea-BissauGuyanaHaitiHondurasHongkongIndiaIndonesiaIraqIranIrelandIcelandIsraelItalyJamaicaJapanYemenJordanVirgin Islands, USACambodiaCameroonCanadaCape VerdeKazakhstanQatarKenyaKyrgyzstanKiribatiKeeling IslandsColumbiaComorosCongoCroatiaCubaKuwaitLaosLesothoLatviaLebanonLiberiaLibyaLiechtensteinLithuaniaLuxembourgMacaoMadagascarMalawiMalaysiaMaldivesMaliMaltaMoroccoMarshall IslandsMartiniqueMauritaniaMauritiusMayotteMacedoniaMexicoMicronesiaMoldovaMonacoMongoliaMontenegroMontserratMozambiqueMyanmarNamibiaNauruNepalNew CaledoniaNew ZealandNicaraguaNetherlandsLesser AntillesNigerNiueNorth KoreaNorfolk IslandsNorwayOmanAustriaEast TimorPakistanPalestinePanamaPapua New GuineaParaguayPeruPhilippinesPolandPortugalPuerto RicoReunionRomaniaRwandaRussian FederationSt. HelenaSt. Kitts And NevisSt. LuciaSt. Pierre And MiquelonSt. Vincent And The GrenadinesSolomon IslandsZambiaWestern SamoaSan MarinoSao Tomé And PrincipeSaudi ArabiaSwedenSwitzerlandSenegalSerbiaSeychellesSierra LeoneZimbabweSingaporeSlovak RepublicSloveniaSomaliaSpainSri LankaSouth AfricaSudanSouth KoreaSurinameSwazilandSyriaTajikistanTaiwanTanzaniaThailandTogoTongaTrinidad And TobagoChadCzech RepublicTunisiaTurkeyTurkmenistanTurks And Caicos IslandsTuvaluUgandaUkraineHungaryUruguayUSAUzbekistanVanuatuVatican CityVenezuelaUnited Arab EmiratesVietnamWest SaharaCentral African RepublicCyprus Information for your accommodation provider

To guarantee your booking, please make a deposit of EUR 160.00. Bank data will be submitted together with your booking confirmation. Cancellation is no longer free of charge.
ski holidays
You can sort of see where people get their user names from.
snow report
madskier wrote:
To guarantee your booking, please make a deposit of EUR 160.00. Bank data will be submitted together with your booking confirmation. Cancellation is no longer free of charge.

This is about cancellation prior to arrival and has absolutely nothing to do with your argument!
latest report
Lou, So, obviously, you produce sh it all day?

Grow Up ( at least beyond Age 7) rolling eyes

Jeez ... can someone explain to me how & why the Cheshire/Surrey/London Central Massifs have been allowed to take over the looney bin?

Experts -- Love Them
Fanatics -- Love Them
Real Comics ... Love them

Confused
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:
Lou, So, obviously, you produce sh it all day?

Grow Up ( at least beyond Age 7) rolling eyes

Jeez ... can someone explain to me how & why the Cheshire/Surrey/London Central Massifs have been allowed to take over the looney bin?

Experts -- Love Them
Fanatics -- Love Them
Real Comics ... Love them

Confused

ROFLMAO Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks Argenterre, truly outstanding response.
snow conditions
Agenterre, very funny. Apart from the fact that I walked into that one like a 7yr old, can you tell me why you are telling me to grow up?
ski holidays
madskier, that was the post of an obsessive nutjob. Bit of perspective required.
ski holidays
Quote:

Apart from the fact that I walked into that one like a 7yr old, can you tell me why you are telling me to grow up?

yes, I was wondering that too?
ski holidays
pam w, Lou, .. because everyone has decided to jump on newbies/causes with playground 'humour'. No one individual, not just one thread; but when the language and 'humour' descends to that level then as a community we should wonder wtf is going on .... I have never / nor ever will be a paragon of virtue but recent stuff is pathetic Sad
ski holidays
Agenterre, so you decided to jump on my reference to the previous post (which imo Lizzard summed up nicely)? You might well say wtf. Have a good weekend.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy