Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Queenstown 2011

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks hang11, Quite busy with absolute carnage on Cornet Peak yesterday with the Remarkables closed and the Crown Range road to Cardrona closed and Treble Cone also closed due to too much snow and high avo risk. More snow here overnight (10cm +) and snowing all day on the mountains. Back up at Coronet today and it is really getting well covered. Not super light snow but lots of fun and fresh tracks to be had everywhere. It is looking like more good falls for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. A late start has suddenly became great.

A few more photos.

Base area this morning.

Top of Coronet Express chair

Between snow showers.

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice pics Sarge - keep 'em coming. Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks nice! I'm planning to get up to round hill or dobson for the weekend.

Definitely tourist time, I saw a rental car in town tonight, but they looked lost and scared Very Happy The sat nav must have had a redneck option lol
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hang11, I to would be scared if I found myself in any of those banjo playing little towns. On a happier note another 7cm plus on Coronet overnight and the same or more on the other local mountains. Totals for the storm are 70cm plus at Coronet and Treble Cone has had over a metre. (Still closed due to avalanche danger) Snow should have stopped by Saturday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sarge, most of us can knock a tune out on the harmonica as well as the banjo Very Happy

Queenstown is looking epic on all the pics I've seen. Once the control work at TC is done it will be awesome.

Think I'm either heading to Roundhill or Ohau for the weekend, plus a sneaky work day at Hutt either tomorrow or Friday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had the morning up at Coronet and quite a change from the continual snow and soft surface of last Monday. Blue sky and firm snow was the order of the day. Groomed runs were smooth and fast and the off piste was a little varied with no powder left due to the high winds last week and lots of traffic. Snow making tonight should keep things fresh for tomorrow and I will take the camera to keep you all happy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Today was another one for the fast groomers. Nothing special to report , just another good day. Possibly a little snow tomorrow night.

Looking south from the top of the Coronet Express.

If you don't want to ski you can always go for a flight.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
25cm of lovely cold dry snow over the last 36 hours with 15cm right down to lake level. All the mountains are looking great with good coverage every where. Will update after I have been up for a look. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice!

I've been watching the news with all the snow and scratching my head - not a single flake here in Mid Canterbury - looks like it went up the coast. I was in Timaru today, and nothing there either, but 20 minutes up the road, they got 20cm.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is excellent collection of pictures. Was last time too crowded?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A bit late but:-
Monday Coronet Peak wind blasted hard pack in the morning, slightly softer in the afternoon with the sun. Strong winds. Long queues due to the lift system being woefully inadequate for the number of people on the mountain, exasperated by the Coronet Express chair being shut by the wind speeds for most of the day.
Tuesday The Remarkables hard pack in the morning, softening up nicely in the afternoon. Not quite as windy as Monday, no lift closures, and no queues. The 'Homeward' runs great in the afternoon, if somewhat short.
Wednesday The Remarkables. As Tuesday but with the wind nowhere near as strong. Chutes 'Elevator' and 'Escalator' well worth the hikes.

One comment - why no piste marking poles? The Piste Patroller I talked to said they would like them, but the lift company refused to buy them as they were 'too expensive and unnecessary'.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No piste marking poles as no real pistes in NZ. Only groomed and ungroomed with no difference in any legal, insurance or avalanche control sense. They would only serve as general route markers and given the size of the ski areas here a waste of time and effort to install. They would also restrict grooming in some areas where the width of the groomed depends on the time available for that part of the mountain. Big storm forecast for Saturday night possibly through to Tuesday. Fingers crossed. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well the big storm has arrived with 20cm plus at home and 30cm on all the local mountains. It is forecast to continue for another 24hrs so the skiing should be fantastic tomorrow. Coronet Peak and The Remarkables are open today despite conditions being described on their website as "blizzard" Roads, schools and the airport closed in Queenstown and many roads across the country also closed and even some problems in the North Island. Snow total forecast for Queenstown is up to 50cm so roads will be fun for days. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

A few photos for you.
Yesterday morning

This morning. We have had another 5cm here since these were taken.

The mighty Nissan poised to go to the wine shop.

Storm front building behind Mt Larkins a couple of days ago.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 15-08-11 6:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sarge McSarge, sweet pics. Really gotta get myself over there some time... Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5443234/Skier-treks-five-hours-to-safety

What a muppet Very Happy
snow conditions
hang11, Muppet is a bit nicer than what Mrs McSarge has just said Toofy Grin Toofy Grin More snow during the day, can't wait till tomorrow Very Happy
snow conditions
I've just put my head out the door, got 20cm on the roof of the truck in the last 2 hours. I think we're going to get it tonight.

Thursday is looking like the day up here, I'll probably get up to Dobson if the roads are clear.

It was a shame to see about this guy being killed

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5411185/Dead-snowboarder-had-no-helmet

But you have to ask what he was doing in the bc with no axe or crampons, the lack of a helmet was probably not the biggest issue. And taking off his board probably didn't help.

I was up there the week before, and came across a pommie guy who had snapped his leg, and had to get flown out. On his own, late afternoon. Could have ended up a lot worse for him. Really makes me wonder why people don't think a bit harder when they're in an alpine environment.

But walking down off coronet because the t-bar looks too hard is one out of the box Very Happy
latest report
A total of 60cm plus from this storm so some great skiing this morning. Good knee deep hits all over the place. Usual muppets on the road but I avoided the dramas. No photos as the vis was pretty bad. I will try to get some in the next few days.
snow report
Sarge McSarge, oh, I am so jealous now. Why did I look on here???????
snow report
Snow iin Auckland first time in 70 years !

http://youtube.com/v/2H8TaUFOnPc
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, There is more than the snow to be jealous of down here but I will leave that to another day. Toofy Grin Got out for a couple of hours this morning before work and it was very very nice. A bit tracked off piste but still fun and all the pistes were as good as it gets. Took a couple of photos and will post them when I get a bit more time.
stanton, What does this have to do with Queenstown??
snow conditions
Sarge McSarge wrote:

Queenstown is full of JAFAS at this time of year Very Happy

I've got tomorrow off. windstripped + 2 metre drifts @ hutt. So I'll get up there if the road has been cleared. Dobson is looking hopeful for Friday, and then the weekend at Roundhill.
ski holidays
Sarge McSarge wrote:

Sorry i put it in the wrong topic but hey it is an event 7 a lot of folk who come from other parts of the world to ski NZ (even South Island) fly into Auckland as their first stop:-)
latest report
A few photos from the other day for you folks without snow at the moment.

Toward the Remarkables under the cloud.

Top of the Meadows Chair.

Lots of new snow.

ski holidays
Spring conditions here for the last week. Kind of firm in the mornings but softening as the days go on. A little bit of fresh snow last night but not much. Still plenty of fun to be had.
ski holidays
Bump - it's back!
snow conditions
Now it's back I can redo my last post that has fallen off the edge of the world. A little bit of fresh snow on Wednesday night and a couple of nights of cooler temperatures has made a big improvement to the surface conditions. Saturday was great on the groomed runs but still kind of interesting elsewhere. Quiet for a Saturday but busy at Rocky Gully with NZ national races on. A guy I know was heli skiing north of Treble Cone on Friday and had a day of consistent boot top powder right down to the bottom of the runs. He said it was his best day on snow for at least two years.

Friday sunset.

Busy piste.

Coronet Express bottom station.

Base area.

ski holidays
Sarge McSarge, thanks for bringing us back up to date. Mind you as someone who has been an expat Kiwi for over 40 years, I am not entirely sure I appreciate you and hang11 making me feel homesick again. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, We just want you to know what you are missing. As you can see there is plenty of snow especially considering the weird warm winter we have had. Another beautiful blue sky day here this morning. The only problem is that I am not going skiing. Maybe tomorrow Very Happy
snow conditions
Wonderful photos.
latest report
Since the last report we have had a mixed conditions. It rained on the snow through the weekend so every thing turned to mush for a few days. The good news is it has turned colder again and a bit of fresh snow in the last 36 hours. 6cm plus at Coronet Peak and 30cm at the Remarkables. Just what we needed to freshen everything up. I bit more forecast for the next few days so looking good for the rest of the month.
ski holidays
Plus the excitement of the England team being on town? wink
snow report
nozawaonsen, England, Ireland, Georgia etc, Just another bunch of tourists. A least they are not crowding up my mountains NehNeh 10cm plus overnight and still snowing so all is well in my world.
snow report
A good morning on the snow with excellent conditions on piste with but off piste was nothing special. Quite a lot of people in town but they must be here for the rugby as there was almost nobody skiing. These photos will show you what I mean. There was a good crowd at the golden oldies international rugby games in Queenstown over the weekend.

Looking down the Greengates chair.

The crowds on the piste

Looking up Million Dollar

snow conditions
Another couple of glorious days on the snow with beautiful weather, great snow and few people. Although we are well into spring down here the snow is holding up rather well and even with it softening by the end of the day it has not been too hard in the mornings. I am back to work tomorrow so won't be on the snow for a few days. few photos to to keep you all in the mood.

Top of the Coronet Express yesterday.

Riding the Rocky Gully T-bar.

Busy piste

Heidi's Hut, a great place for a coffee. There are a few racers training on the far side of the T-bar but all the international teams have finished for the season.

ski holidays
Nearly the end of the season here but the snow is still very good for late spring. Firm in the mornings and softening as the day goes on. It has just been announced that Coronet Peak will be staying open for another week. It was due to close on 2nd October but now looking like the 9th. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy More days on the snow.
ski holidays
A lovely last day of the season with excellent spring conditions, blue sky and not a breath of wind Very Happy A shame that the lifts will be shut for the next seven and a half months. Despite the very late start to the season here there has been some good snow and great skiing. Central North Island resorts have very good snow packs and will be open for a few weeks yet but no more for me Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy