Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family Ski Trip Christmas 2011

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all! Am planning a family ski trip for this Christmas. Have always done Spring skiing but after our recent April ski trip (icy in the morning and slushy by lunch time), we thought we should try Christmas. Am wondering if I could use fellow Snowheads expertise to get some recommendations for resort?

1) Prefer Austria or Italy
2) We are thinking of over Christmas week, do we need to go high for snowsure resort?
3) I am a cautious intermediate but hubby is an advance skiier. Son thinks of himself as an advance skiier (more like an intermediate with no fear!)
4) Not too far a transfer from airport.

Many thanks for your advice in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowy123, this spring was very poor in many places - poorest in a very long time. On average, early April will have better snow cover than Christmas.

Apart from sometimes being a bit thin for snow, Christmas weather can be pretty dismal - very short days. But Christmas in the mountains is infinitely preferable to Christmas watching the telly.

I can't help with Austrian or Italian resorts, sorry. A higher resort will generally be a better bet if the start of the winter is mild but in case of really windy and cold weather it's good to have some lower altitude bolt holes, too, preferably with lots of trees.

I have always had the impression that there's a better likelihood of good early snow a bit further east (ie Austria) but I have no authoritative source for that belief!

It might be worth waiting to do a last minute booking, when you have an idea of what the weather is doing. Provided you are flexible Christmas (as opposed to New Year, which is much busier) accommodation is generally available at the last minute.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We (2 + 2) have done Christmas for the last five years: Risoul, Westendorf, Morzine, Serre Chevalier and L2A.. All have been booked in advance, although the most recent two not until the end of October when the bargains start to appear. There has been no problems with snow in any of the resorts. The only Austrian one was Westendorf which was lovely and now links to Kitzbuhl, I think.

Let me know if you want more info.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Pam w, thanks for the advise. Definitely fancy a white Christmas. So I might just book flights first and then decide on resort closer to date depending on snow.

Hi ktk, thanks for the resorts suggestions. Will definitely do a bit more research on all the resorts you mentioned. May trouble you for more info if we do decide to go one of them. Many thanks in advance.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have been to Selva val Gardena at Christmas and snow conditions were very good, we did have quiet a bit of fog for a day or so, and a few snow storms but generally good weather. The Sella Ronda has great snow making facilities so even when in short supply there is snow on the main routes.
There are a great range of pistes for all abilities, but even the harder slopes are wide so make it easy to get your turns in (we are cautious 50+ skiers), and with the range of terrain everyone can find something to amuse themselves. Eating on the mountain is reasonably priced and a good quality pasta meal costs around 7 to 10 euros.
Transferes from Verona airport are around 2 hours.
We loved the place so much we went back in February, and as soon as we returned from that trip, booked again for this Christmas.
I posted a bit of a video of lifts and veiws of our Xmas trip on you tube

http://youtube.com/v/rMVysL75DeU
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowy123, Ischgl in the Austrian Tirol might be worth putting on your list. Most of the skiing is above 2000m. It normally opens in late November. It is about an hour and a half from Innsbruck.

Otherwise you have plenty of options an hour or so from either Innsbruck or Salzburg. For the latter I'd consider Schladming (just over an hour from Salzburg airport). If your budget can stretch (and it needn't be that expensive) I'd also add Lech to the list (again about an hour and a half from Innsbruck) which is very pretty at Christmas (Christmas market, river running through town etc).

The only snag with booking flights in advance and waiting to book accommodation once you know where the snow is falling, is that this will mean you will probably be trying to book somewhere to stay at Christmas in late November or December. Inns can get booked up at Christmas, people have written books about it.

Hope you find somewhere good!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be complete sure of a "a white christmas" I think Cervinia is a good choice Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've done AdH, Ellmau and L2A over the last 3 Christmas/New Year breaks. The former two at New Year, the latter at Christmas. We had reasonable snow cover for all of them, patchy in places at for Ellmau and L2A - but that was down to the temperature as opposed to snow already on the ground. Both improved as the week went on.

We have been talking about both Cervinia and Sella Ronda for this Christmas. Really fancy Italy for a change, so interested to see where people recommend.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have skiid the last 5 Christmas's in the 3 valleys - not italy I know but it has a great mix of resorts to suit all.
Whilst 2006 was the worst for weather we have always been able to ski into St Martin at 1400m (our chalet's resort), Meribel at 1450m, & le Tania at 1400 m, whilst also being able to get higher up to Val Thorens, Orelle etc..
Whilst there is some risk attached to going early in the year, we have always been able to find good snow, especilly as we now know the area well.
Italian resorts will be cheaper on piste and possibly for ski passes & late bargains.
Christmas skiing is a joy, being away from all the things that make Christmas in the UK dull & repetative, just being in the mountains, in the snow, with the decorations and the little resort festivals. The temperatures can be a lot colder but just add layers if you feel the cold (I normally ski in helmet, T shirt, salopettes, ski jacket and just add an additional shirt & snood when cold).
The bonus is you can utilise the bank holidays & statatory days and not gobble up valuable holidays over Christmas.
Luckily our chalet really goes to town over Christmas and we ski in fancy dress on Christmas day, with the bonus of not having to cook dinner or wash up you just can;t go wrong...
Best of luck in finding a flight & resort and I am sure you won;t be dissappointed.
Noisey
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you so much everyone. So many great suggestions. I will have to do some more research on most of them. At least it gives me something to look forward to!! Smile I might have to plan the ski trips for the next few years to try out a few new resorts as many of them sound great!! Or may be I need to persuade hubby that we should do more than one trip!? Laughing

Bartezki, thanks for the video link. Looked fantastic. The piste at Selva looked amazingly quiet for Christmas, is that the case?

nozawaonsen, Ischgl sounds like the type of resort we like. Had a quick look at the website, it claims that it has very modern lift systems and hence no queues. Is that true? That's definitely something we look for. Have always wanted to go to Lech, but everytime we looked at the brochure price, we said we would do it another year. May be we would have to wait for a special year to splash out.

noisey, totally agree with you. Am sure Christmas skiing is a joy and no cooking or washing up on Christmas day is definitely a big bonus! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowy123,
Quote:

Ischgl sounds like the type of resort we like. Had a quick look at the website, it claims that it has very modern lift systems and hence no queues. Is that true? That's definitely something we look for. Have always wanted to go to Lech, but everytime we looked at the brochure price, we said we would do it another year. May be we would have to wait for a special year to splash out.

Ischgl can get queues from the base station at busy times and occasionally in one or two other places but overall there is very little queuing. All can be avoided by avoiding the base area just before ski school times and using a bit of common sense elsewhere.
Lech is great at xmas, as in Ischgl you can probably do it cheaper DIY than tour operator prices at peak times but it does sell out over xmas week and you have to book early.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The slopes are suprisingly quiet, I think most people must wait for the New Year week, which is a lot more expensive, but saying that we were there at February half term, and apart from a few bottlenecks, it wasn't that busy then. The Sella Ronda circuit does get a lot of traffic, but there are loads of areas away from that to ski.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I go away at Christmas every year, from childhood - Dolomites the last 9 years, but mainly Austria and even Germany prior to that. Totally recommend it! Can't imagine being at home now ... being in the mountains and on the snow over xmas can't be beaten!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowy123, I go to Austria nearly every Christmas for a family trip. Never had bad snow. Most resort openings there are first or second week in December but lately they have opened early. There are many places ideal for a family but you don't have to chose too early. Christmas is a low week compared to New Year so there is always capacity in hotels and tour ops always have deals for Christmas week. You'll see deals to Kitzbuhel, Soll, Saalbach etc and they are all great for family trips. Sometimes book chalet/apartment direct and drive (driving means you can take all the pressies and trimmings), other times seek out a drop-dead tour op deal on the run up to Christmas. This year Fieberbrunn, previous year St Johann, previous Kitzbuhel - pistes quiet, no queues, no mad crush in restaurants etc (Germans stay at home for Christmas you see). If you really are concerned about snow (and you shouldn't be) then aim for say Mayrhofen or Zell am See - both have great glacier areas just up the road.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

you don't have to chose too early. Christmas is a low week compared to New Year

I think it depends a little bit on how much of the New Year week you (ie just before NY) you want to take. I have twice failed to get accomodation in Lech and once in Ischgl at this timebooking late october.
snow report
Quote:

I have twice failed to get accomodation in Lech and once in Ischgl at this timebooking late october.

Yes indeed, and that's why I said you needed to be flexible. If you have decided exactly where you want to go, and nothing else will do, book as early as possible! There is quite a lot to consider, including how important it is to you to have snow at resort level.

One point about mid-winter is that many places down in valleys can be very shady - sometimes being up on the mountain will be sunnier and warmer than being down in the valley. Our local town - Beaufort - can be really drear in mid-winter, with short hours of sunshine because of the steep valley sides and big temperature inversions which mean it's far warmer and sunner up at 1550m, even if one isn't then in a "proper village". It's a lovely place in summer, but frankly not very pleasant in winter - I've taken people to the (very good and cheap) dentist a few times, or had to visit a major post office etc. but wouldn't go from choice.
ski holidays
T Bar - thanks for the info on Ischgl. I just read on another thread that the run back to the village can be quite challenging? What's your view? I'd prefer an easy run back to the village at the end of the day when we all get a bit tired. My son often crashes alot at the end of the day when he is tired.

Joanne Mountainsun, the Domolites is on my list to research. Have you been to Madonna? Heard there are lots of lovely cruisey blues.

Bode Swiller, thanks for the info on Austria. Reassuring to hear that snow is good there at Christmas!

Thanks everyone again for your feedback. Really look forward to a white Christmas and skiing on the mountains on Chritmas Day with the family!
snow report
Snowy123,
Quote:

T Bar - thanks for the info on Ischgl. I just read on another thread that the run back to the village can be quite challenging? What's your view?

I agree, it can be challenging.

Personally I think this is important in planning the skiing day rather than avoiding Ischgl. There are two runs back one to either end of the resort. They are both accurately graded red and have plenty of snow making. They are fed from a variety of runs higher up and give a very long run back to resort level. If you ski them betwen morning and midafternoon they are usually very enjoyable runs and kept in good condition. The problem is in skiing them later in the day the snow is gradually scraped off them by the high volume of skiers coming down leaving them often pretty icy, they also become very busy with some narrow pasaages.
If you are tired or not feeling up to it though downloading is a very easy option this can be done either from the top or the middle station and is no disgrace. There is a choice of three lifts down In a weeks skiing we usually download at least once or twice at the end of the day.
latest report
Snowy123 wrote:

Thanks everyone again for your feedback. Really look forward to a white Christmas and skiing on the mountains on Chritmas Day with the family!

I have nevered skiied over Christmas day (but have new year). Are the lifts open on Christmas Day? Do they open late if they open. This is a general question rather than specific. I know when we went over New Year in Bansko, we were caught out by the lifts opening late. We got there for what we thought was lift opening, and seeing as that was our day to have the whole morning skiing before switching over with the grandparents in looking after our 2yr old, we lost out on a lot of skiing.
snow conditions
NickyJ, can only comment on France but both Christmas Day and New Year's Day are normal ski days with normal timings (in PDS at any rate).
ski holidays
Thanks Lou, good to know, not that I think we will be able to afford to ski over Christmas for the next 4 yrs at least (while paying full time nursery fees) Happy
snow conditions
Club Med in Tignes - really good package - took entire family 8 - 70 and excellent value.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy