Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should school ski trips be stopped and should teachers run them ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
skitow wrote:
Any one like to comment on this ? :-

To attempt to avoid the possibility of the school incurring financial liabilities from, effectively, trading in out of school trips I suggest the following for all trips where the cost is more than £100 to the child / parents.

The school does the initial necessary research and checking for suitability, price etc.

Full details of the trip are supplied to the parents / pupils and for those that wish to participate, and with their written permission, their details are passed on to the tour operator who subsequently sends them an individual contract and invoice. The school should advise the parents/ pupil that payment by a credit card gives the most protection against any form of failure to supply by the tour operator as they are "jointly and severally liable" with the tour operator. Some debit cards, but not all, also give this level of protection.
I believe this would change the role of the school from being an agent, with all the attendant responsibilities, to merely being an introducer.

sounds much better and is similar to what I have already suggested on the other thread - in essence parent contract with TO and not the school
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So back to the original question, and away from that other thread...

No and No.

Perhaps anyone whose parents could afford to send them would say differently, but at the time I was at school it casued a lot of fuss - we got the letter to say about the school trip, I hassled my parents and they had to find excuses for why my friends could go but I couldn't (didn't really appreciate at age 12 the other costs associated with skiing!). Fortunately, though I may not have thought this at the time, my parents spent their money on supporting my education and more mainstream sporting exploits which ultimately was much better for me than a week in the Alps.
I'm not one for lowest common denominator kind of things but I think schools have no business doing such trips - educationally beneficial? pull the other one!! rolling eyes And would I want a semi-(in)competent (skiing wise) teacher leading them round the slopes, well I don't think so.
Now that I'm lucky enough to have skier junior skiing every week, I can appreciate a little more the costs, though he is very fortunate that a school skiing trip (when he gets to school age) involves getting in the bus and driving 15 minutes so wont have this issue.

To demonstrate the deep and scarring long-term effects; to make up for my lack of school ski trips, I've had to blow a huge pile of cash on being a mid-career ski bum for a couple of seasons, huge equipment and cat-skiing budget, and now have even resorted to moving country. Oh hang on, what was my answer to the OP's question... wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

They may add those holidays are best enjoyed in a family group.

In the case of our family there is such a wide range of ability and attitude that, out of five of us there is no two that ski alike and skiing as a family is a stressful affair.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dw832,
Have you any idea which companies operate this kind of system ? Would be grateful for any links.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skitow wrote:
Any one like to comment on this ? :-

To attempt to avoid the possibility of the school incurring financial liabilities from, effectively, trading in out of school trips I suggest the following for all trips where the cost is more than £100 to the child / parents.

Love this.

Simple, safe and the credit card companies have strong recourse to grab cash back if things go wrong.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skitow
I used 'the ski company, Greenwich' for a couple of years. They only do Switzerland, but do almost all the admin including issuing individual invoices etc.
The Met police use them for their trip...
Oh, and I never took an inspection visit when I used them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skitow wrote:
dw832,
Have you any idea which companies operate this kind of system ? Would be grateful for any links.

Have a look at the following...

http://www.offthepiste.com/studentskiing/package.html
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Total outsiderto this but if I was involved in taking 40 or so little perishers somewhere in the snow I would certainly want to have been there before to know the layout so I think a (short) paid-for pre- trip is quite OK. And if I were a Governor, I would want my teachers to have that knowlege , too. Probably not necessary for year-on year repeats as long as some of the staff gave continuity.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Farley Goode wrote:
Total outsiderto this but if I was involved in taking 40 or so little perishers somewhere in the snow I would certainly want to have been there before to know the layout so I think a (short) paid-for pre- trip is quite OK. And if I were a Governor, I would want my teachers to have that knowlege , too. Probably not necessary for year-on year repeats as long as some of the staff gave continuity.

That is the approach used for the Geography trip using the same place for the last 18 years they tell me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
daveyladboy, dw832, Thanks for the leads. The reason I m asking is that I am a school governor and, although our school has run successful trips for years, the feeling is that in the light of the Ski Europe thing, we ought to make sure that we have investigated every possible way of reducing the financial risk for everyone involved.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skitow, Sorry this is off-topic - could you please check your PM's as your email is bouncing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy