Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it worth trying to avoid the M25?

Poster: A snowHead
We're travelling from South Wales to Ashford tomorrow afternoon (leaving Wales at 2pm), that will put us at the M25 somewhere around 4pm. Does anyone think it's worth going further south than the M25 or should we just grin and bear it on the M25? I've never experienced delays on the M25 on previous occasions although we've never tried rush hour on a Friday.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TotallyBoard, This thread still has currency as the roadworks are all still there

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1646810&highlight=m25#1646810
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's a bit like asking if it will snow in Resort X next January, isn't it Smile

Personally, I'd just get on the M25, make sure you've got plenty of fags and the radio tuned in, and just get on with it. Most alternative routes will have you snaking around on various A-roads that will more likely be worse than better.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TotallyBoard, it will make you appreciate south wales all the more.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was edging towards just biting the bullet and heading for the M25, I can handle traffic if I'm on my way to the mountains, it's coming back that would be unbearable Wink

So a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes and wearing sunglasses - M25 it is.

Cheers for the replies Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I did that route a fortnight ago (leaving mid wales at noon). I came off at Bracknell (?), down the A329 (M), jumped on to the M3 to the M25 and then M26 to M2?M20 (can never remember which is which).

It was quite busy around Leatherhead but nothing too bad at all really. Got to my destination at 5.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The bad bit is normally between the A3 and the M3. In both directions, but especially clockwise (i.e. on your way back).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

then M26 to M2?M20 (can never remember which is which)

M20

I'd hit the M25. A329M detour to cut off the corner doesn't really save much IME.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TotallyBoard, I'd say stick to the M25 too - I always figure that most of the people on that road are regulars, and if there were a better way, they'd be on it. And it would be just as busy. The secret of the M25 is not to leave it till the last minute, so you are in a rush, and not to get in a faff if you hit hold ups.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does anyone know what the actual drive time from Wales to Folkstone Eurotunnerl is? Google says 6 hours and a number of other providers have a varying range of times?

Ball park on a summer saturday anyone?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fattes13, it rather depends on how far you are away from the M4
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fattes13, From Cardiff traffic willing 3.5 hours, got a feeling that leaving at 2pm from Bridgend we'll be lucky to do it in 5 Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hollyhead Sad We are budgeting for about a 7 hour trip including lunch stop ? Does that seem reasonable? Appreciate the assistance guys
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fattes13 You will only be able to tell us the "actual" drive time when you have done the journey as this varies for every journey Toofy Grin

However, Saturday afternoon is not prime time for either the M4 or the M25 so in my experience you would generally be OK regarding sheer volume of traffic and would be able to drive along happily at the legal speed limit (or whatever level of law breaking you feel comfortable with) thereby being able to calculate you journey time by distance/speed.

Given your location I assume you actually mean Fishguard to Eurotunnel. In my experience it is always really slow from the port as the ferry unloads and you all drag along at the speed of the slowest man at the front with little chance to overtake. Once you hit the motorway for real you should be OK.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy wrote:
Quote:

then M26 to M2?M20 (can never remember which is which)

M20

I'd hit the M25. A329M detour to cut off the corner doesn't really save much IME.

From where I am, mile or so from both M4 and 329M, I'd never think about using M4 to go south on M25.
M329M - Bracknell - Bagshot M3.
snow conditions
Yup, M4 goes in a big loop north after J10, and the M25 between M4 and M3 is often slow

Bracknell is fine except 5 on weekdays
snow report
Fattes13 Holyhead is a totally different matter. Surely you'll be A55, M6, M1, M25 M20. Nowhere near the M4/A329 at all (I'll have to save my opinion on that with allanm for another thread.

350 odd miles in 7 hours with a couple of breaks should be achievable.
latest report
Fattes13, lol you do know you're talking about an area the size of Wales here? If you end up on the M4 from Holyhead you've taken a wrong turn Wink
ski holidays
They'd done some work on the A329(M) since I've last done that route and it seemed much faster than before - they've sorted out a few of those silly bottleneck roundabouts before you hit Bracknell (from M4 direction).

Time-wise, I did Elan Valley to Dartford x-ing in 5.5 hours including stopping at Hereford, Cirencester and Clackett Lane for a few minutes each time.
latest report
I thought this was going to be a Verbier thread....I was going to have to report that since Fontennay is closed now there is no avoiding the M25 except by downloading the Funispace!
snow report
rungsp, If only.... Laughing
ski holidays
Fattes13, m6 toll, m6, A14, M11, A12 (blackwall tunnel), M20

a journey I could recite backwards... My best time from bottom of M11 to Bangor 4.25 hours, worst time 6.5 hours. 4.25 means c.90 mph all the way and 1 stop, so big bladders and light traffic are essential. You have an extra 30 mins in Wales and an extra 90 in Kent so if you do it 6 hours I will buy you a beer. 8 hours is more like it.
snow report
If you have smart phone with google maps, that is a good way too keep an eye on the traffic and its generally upto the minute on its info.
snow conditions
Quote:

to drive along happily at the legal speed limit (or whatever level of law breaking you feel comfortable with)

I am more than comfortable with bending the speed limits on motorways when I will not be getting points Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Nope its Hollyhead as the ferry from Dublin port is quicker so less time over all me thinks

red 27, I do like a good challange, I promise I will post in AZ the time we start and finish get them Beers on ice ha ha

Thanks Every one appreciate the advice.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy