Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"No fall zone"

Poster: A snowHead
I've seen the phrase used from time to time. Intuitively, I perceive that implies a place where falling would result in grave bodily harm, or worse, death.

And I thought "I'm never going to ski anywhere that a fall would lead to such serious consequence!". After all, I'm not one who take thrill at danger. I choose to only ski in area where falls are typically nothing more than a harmless comical entertainment for onlookers.

A month ago, I was at Mommoth with a group. I've seen a couple of lines next to the lift, while rather steep, had rather good powder, and a flat'ish run out. There were a few clumps of rocks, but they were spaced well apart, plenty of space to manuver around to avoid them. So I attempted it on my own early in the morning (quite enjoyable). And when the group joined me, I invited a fairly competent skier to give it a go. He looked over it on our lift ride up, and decide it look FUN. Wink

We made the little jump off the cornice into the bowl shaped slope (steep at the top, gradually flatten out lower down). I went nice and slowly down half way and stopped to wait for my partner. He made a couple of nice graceful turns, looking totally in control and well within his comfort zone. Then he fell, body downhill of his skis...

He wasn't going very fast at the time. And his skis were out of harms way as he slowly slide passed me. He even gave me a smile as he went by, as he just succeeded in swinging his skis downhill of him. I fully expect him to stand up on the skis and continue on the next moment.

But for the next few very long seconds, he never managed to get back up on his skis. He kept sliding, now picking up speed.

I saw him attempting to self-rescue with his poles, which got strip out of his hand.

I was starting to get worried. He's now sliding with an alarming fast speed. The thought cross my mind what I can tell his wife. Shocked

But the slope slacken just enough pass that point. So he did manage to came to a stop using his skis.

Not too far below him (10-15 yards?), there were a big clumps of rocks!

It occurred to me then, had he not been able to stop at that spot, it could have very bad outcome! Sad

For the rest of the trip, I became very keenly aware of where I was on the slope, where a harmless fall MIGHT NOT be so harmless! Suddenly, I saw danger lurking everywhere! Shocked

How do YOU define "no fall" zones?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 13-04-11 3:11; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for posting about this. Have had similar thoughts. Usually, when contemplating entry of the Flypaper at Glencoe. It has a rock in the middle of the fall line. The serious consequences usually start going through my mind like this: 1 damaged board equals replacement cost. 2. potential injury: is it going to stop me driving myself home? - I usually ride alone. 3. Is the injury going to take time to heal and mean time off work. 4. SERIOUS consequences - might I not come back....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you fall, you will probably die
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As Patch says.

I have skied a small number of places in Val d'Isere and Tignes where our guide has forbidden us from falling. For example on spring snow on the slopes between Madelaine and Le Chatelard, big convex slopes shallow enough where we skied if you fall and slide the slope gets very steep and continues for a long long way. For example traversing above a couloir to access the Sachette, the top 30m is snowy but below that the couloir is entirely small jagged rocks.

abc, read up on "self arrest" techniques. There are several threads here on Snowheads.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In freeride competitions skiing in a NFZ will mean no points for that section of the line which will also effect your score for line selection.

Never be complacent, when you fall you must stop yourself ASAP [edit to add] where ever you are, NFZ or not, you gotta stop ASAP...

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 13-04-11 4:58; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Adrian wrote:

abc, read up on "self arrest" techniques. There are several threads here on Snowheads.

No, I'm still not going to ski anywhere near a NFZ. Too much stress for my taste.

I'm Just more aware of many more those zones now. I'm perfectly happy to scale back my skiing to keep it fun (for me).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc, even on piste it's worth knowing how to self-arrest.

Earlier this season I was overly-agressively attacking a steep icy red run in Les Houches and a self-arrest was the only thing that stopped me hitting a pylon at high speed. It's amazing how quickly you pick up speed. By the time I'd got my skis below me; onto my stomach and stopped I'd gone about 150m.

As a minimum it's worth knowing how to get your skis below you if you're sliding down a slope head first. If you're going to hit something / someone then it's better to do it feet first.

I'm with Patch that my interpretation of NFZ is fall and probably die.

But there are also places that I think you need to ski to avoid falling. For example, the "safety first" approach to glacial skiing is to ski so as not to fall or otherwise over-stress the snow pack (e.g. aggressive, dynamic short turns) - so you should ski to avoid falling.

Similarly, you might want to avoid stressing the snow pack if you find yourself straying onto an off-piste slope where the snow is less stable than you'd assumed.

Personally, I'm prepared to ski up to "fall and you might sustain some injuries, but dying would be a freak accident". For example, a narrowish, rocky couloir is ok - as long as I'm likely to bounce off the sides, rather than onto rocks.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've only once fallen on terrain steep enough that I accelerated down the hill as soon as fell. Slid for about 30-40m before deeper snow started to slow me, but that was enough to freak me out. Had just about got my remaining ski below me when I started to slow, but it was a real effort to do that. Fortunately the guys I was skiing with retrieved my missing ski which was some way above me, but rather than the sympathy I expected from them for such a mind-bening experience they were cross that I'd trashed the nice snow in the gulley that I'd dropped in to first!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:
..We made the little jump off the cornice into the bowl .....

Actually, I'd be quite wary of that - particularly if the cornice has a significant overhang. I'd be interested in others' thoughts.

Here's part of a TGR discussion
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I generally think of a NFZ as being somewhere where you would have to be very lucky to survive a fall (or at least avoid very serious injury). abc, where you were sounds like what I call a "don't ski like a tw@t zone" - where a fall is likely to lead to, at least, great discomfort but is unlikely to kill you
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
basically if you fall you not be able to stop before you tumble off a cliff and die, rather than tumble in to something.

Also a 'no fall zone' for me is anywhere under or at a lift Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops wrote:

Also a 'no fall zone' for me is anywhere under or at a lift Very Happy

That's a good one! Laughing I should keep that at the forefront of my mind. Wink

Quote:
basically if you fall you not be able to stop before you tumble off a cliff and die, rather than tumble in to something.

That's a good definition. I guess that applies to most.

My realization being I used to think my NFZ includes not tumble into something hard and painful. But that's only because I hadn't been paying enough attention to the surrounding! A lot of lines I skied do include rocks arranged in patterns easily avoidable as long as I'm in control, but would be in the way if I lose it! Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Of course, it varies with conditions.

A steep slope covered with a metre of powder under blue sky could be a, "Fall as much as you like, get covered in snow, take 10 minutes to reassemble your clothing while your companions have a laugh at your expense zone." But the same slope with no powder could be a, "Fall here and you slide down sheer ice for 400m until you fall into a 50m crevasse and die zone."

Ah, the joys of skiing off piste... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The only time I skied Glencoe there was no rock showing on the Flypaper so it wasn't a no-fall zone. It is so short with nothing bad under, that you can fall on it and most likely suffer no injury. In fact the first time I went there i meant to stop and look over the edge but caught my ski on a frozen lump and fell. I first saw the flypaper as I slid over the edge and fell all the way down - at first head first though I managed to get my legs below me before the bottom.

Sorry to cite this yet again, but many years ago I was extremely lucky to survive a fall on a definite NFZ (there are probably some newer snowheads who haven't read it) Madeye-Smiley I am only alive because I had been taught a technique to stop myself and made to practice it.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 13-04-11 16:48; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I guess I can combine the "No fall zone" and "Skiing off cornices" threads with a couple of pics.

Check out the far end of the cornice with some rocks below. We tried to downclimb the cornice and I fell and tumbled through those rocks. What really worried me was a potential steep fall to my right at the far end (not visible in the pic). I was twisting like a worm in the air, trying to go left as I was cartwheeling down the slope.

Here's a close-up shot of our group leader downclimbing towards me

Let's just say I wasn't 100% happy with the choice of terrain.
ski holidays
horizon,

Great choice apart from the cornice and rocks!

Where were you?
ski holidays
I'm regularly carrying a rope now, horizon, so if we were in those circumstances I could lower people down. I used it twice at Gressoney, once on a small rock-band with John K and once when Roger S fell into a hole where there the snow had collapsed into a small river in a canyon. Zeb was well ahead and he was 3 metres down and in danger of disappearing into a fairly deep pool (he did get some water in his boots) so was very pleased we could pull him out.

By the way, horizon, where and when was that?
ski holidays
snowball, your link isn't working
latest report
I think it is working now. (It was http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=30542#30542 ) Unfortunately my search term is getting highlighted but I can't help that.
snow conditions
Kind of like the "don't ski like a tw@t zone" definition. If you get too paranoid you'd never ski trees, anything with rock walls, buried hazards etc. It is terrifying however when you have a head down fall and start accelerating.
snow report
snowball, I edited the URL of your link to remove the highlighting
ski holidays
Assuming you mean Mammoth, rather than Mommoth (where?) then there are distinct No Fall Zones around the volcanic vents: you really do not want to fall into one of those.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
abc wrote:
..We made the little jump off the cornice into the bowl .....

Actually, I'd be quite wary of that - particularly if the cornice has a significant overhang. I'd be interested in others' thoughts.

This was inbound, avi controlled terrain. So the "assumption" was the cornices were safe from collapsing.

I'm glad to read the discussion on the other thread though. Just like some peeps following "tracks" off piste, thinking it's safe. Many (myself included) had long "assume" cornices are to be stood upon. Embarassed Now I know it's not something that can be counted on for 100%...

The cornice in question though, was quite small. Not a massive overhang like in the video...
latest report
snowball, Chamcham, we had hiked for half an hour from the top of Trittkopf (in Zurs). The slope on the photo would be on the left side as you're doing the standard Valluga tour. This was in January 2010.

That whole day was spent in Twilight Zone. First I forgot my transceiver in the room. Then the tumble above (yes I was skiing there without a transceiver, we were supposed to do something very mellow). Then we refused to follow the group leader down a windloaded gulley. Then we lost a snowboarder heading back to St Anton - he showed up at Mooserwirt half an hour later, very shaken. By the time I lost my camera in the Mooserwirt, I thanked the gods that they accepted such a small sacrifice.

BobinCH knows that I still get very antsy when climbing steep slopes (though I can ski the same slopes no problem)
snow conditions
You say "Group Leader" was he a guide or just a mate that was leading you?

I can't talk having led myself off a cliff last year, and luckily others did not follow.

I did not have the time to think "don't fall here" rolling eyes

Quite a few times been with Per our Guide over numerous trips over the years and he has said those "words"

Once when he did not say them I took a huge fall off the back off Pic Blanc in Alpe D'Huez, Col du Milieu, top of the Grand Sablat glacier.

We were going to do a classic big descent down to Clavans.

It was first lifts and the top was still icy I lost an edge (was on a snowboard then) about 1/4 of the way down and tumbled a la "rag doll" for 50m it was estimated, when Per came along side he let out an expletive, something he never does, and I thought oh s**t I've got a bone sticking out etc but it was my board that had snapped right across the front 35cms from the top as I somersaulted down and was just being held together by the surface laminate.

That was my day fecked, so whilst the others carried on to Clavans I had to climb back up (not easy in soft boots) with the board on my backpack with the tip whacking me in the head every now and again. I then had to climb up to the telepherique and encounter a lot of people wondering what had gone on!

Anyway it's far worse being told that when you're on a board as you only have one edge and no poles, though we use to have ice axes if it was really gnarly, and then a rope.

That's probably why I switched back to skis, but I still end up in the s**t Puzzled
snow report
Weathercam, a mate - a very strong skier who knew the area well...but maybe he has a different risk profile to mine, we messed up the group dynamics, etc
ski holidays
horizon wrote:
snowball, Chamcham, we had hiked for half an hour from the top of Trittkopf (in Zurs). The slope on the photo would be on the left side as you're doing the standard Valluga tour. This was in January 2010.

That whole day was spent in Twilight Zone. First I forgot my transceiver in the room. Then the tumble above (yes I was skiing there without a transceiver, we were supposed to do something very mellow). Then we refused to follow the group leader down a windloaded gulley. Then we lost a snowboarder heading back to St Anton - he showed up at Mooserwirt half an hour later, very shaken. By the time I lost my camera in the Mooserwirt, I thanked the gods that they accepted such a small sacrifice.

BobinCH knows that I still get very antsy when climbing steep slopes (though I can ski the same slopes no problem)

Yeek, not a good day. Sad Not to be repeated, but put down to experience.
But it's really helpful to tell these sorts of stories on here, so that others can learn from those who've made mistakes and lived to tell the tale.
snow report
horizon wrote:
we messed up the group dynamics, etc

I've noticed too that the Backcountry / Touring group dynamics are a lot different with and without a guide. If a person is having problems the Guide tends to keep that person close to him/her - in a group of friends the one with the problem holds back and tends to worry. Even though you may know the route without a guide, choices / decisions turn into a discussion. People start taking different routes, people become anxious and then problems occur.

I've started wondering what is the best way to manage the group when the experience is similar e.g.

Should people vote? What happens if it's 4 versus 1 ? or 3 versus 2?
Should one person be allocated leader? Should the lead role be rotated? If something happens is the 'leader' responsible?
Who decides - how much space you should leave between each other? Where you should stop etc? Which slope, cornice etc is safe?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
horizon wrote:
By the time I lost my camera in the Mooserwirt, I thanked the gods that they accepted such a small sacrifice.

Very Happy Very Happy

horizon wrote:
I still get very antsy when climbing steep slopes (though I can ski the same slopes no problem)

Yes, same here - and it is even worse if you have to walk on rocks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy