Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trying different resorts ?

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from Stuben, having had 4 trips to Obergurgl

Went to Stuben as I wanted to try a different area

Looking back am undecided whether changing was a positive or not

Negatives:

Takes a while to find way around new ski area
Hit and miss trying new ski huts
Bit of additional stress and uncertainty organising, not quite knowing what you are getting
Kids seem to prefer the familiarity of known surroundings (hotel and slopes)
On a short break you spend additional valuable ski time working stuff out

Ultimately from an average piste skiiers perspective, not convinced it makes a lot difference, one set of pistes to the next

I must be getting old.

Discuss....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On the one hand, I insist on going to a different area every time.

On the other hand, they're all the bloody same so it doesn't really matter.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blastfromthepast wrote:
Ultimately from an average piste skiiers perspective, not convinced it makes a lot difference, one set of pistes to the next

Discuss....

Sounds like a fair summary. It might make a difference if you can find better quality snow, fewer crowds, better grooming, you like the experience of "travelling" from one place to another, different scenery etc but from the purely objective perspective of having a surface to ski on, one groomer is pretty much like another (of similar gradient/wear n tear).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob wrote:
one groomer is pretty much like another (of similar gradient/wear n tear).

Yes. It's finding the non-groomed bits that's the challenge.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you don't think the view makes a difference try the Sella Ronda.

From the purely physical skiing challenge point of view, the off-piste is the biggest difference but the difference in black runs is also considerable, both in number available and challenge.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Used to go to new places most years, - but I'm getting very comfy in my annual pilgrimage to Wengen .... except I am beginning to notice the strength of the ChF.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We often have repeat visits to resports, but do like to fit in an extra somewhere different as well. These days my trips tend to be 1 x Tignes, 1 x Val Thorens, 1 x Canada somewhere new and 1 x somewhere else in Europe, possibly a repeat visit
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surely part of the fun is in finding those new huts, skiing those pistes you have never skied before and seeing views you've never seen? I find going back to the same place quite boring - often even disappointing as the bar you loved last year has changed or you don't have such a good night as you remembered in that cheesey umpah apres bar.

But then I don't have children to worry about which could make a difference I guess.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tiger2, or return each year to ESK, where you can have both familiar and new because the area is mahoosive. I try to mix it up with a new place each year (Schladming looking like it might be a regular pre-Xmas jaunt), but I'll make sure I go to ValD at least once a season simply because it's the greatest resort in the world.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tiger2, the Brandegg (Wengen) apple fritters will never change for the worse. It would be a National Disaster. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blastfromthepast wrote:
J

Negatives:
Positives:

Takes a while to find way around new ski area
The fun of working out on the piste map how to get from here to there

Hit and miss trying new ski huts
Hitting a great ski hut unexpectedly!

Bit of additional stress and uncertainty organising, not quite knowing what you are getting
well, I don't pay much attention on the place I sleep, so no comment here

Kids seem to prefer the familiarity of known surroundings (hotel and slopes)
(they're YOUR kids, their preference probably comes from YOU)

On a short break you spend additional valuable ski time working stuff out
Do a week to a new resort, and only go back if you like it.

You may find a resort has better snow, or better grooming, yet another one has more "character" like off-piste

I must be getting old.
Have you ever been young? Wink (mostly joking, some people simply don't crea for changes, whatever their age)

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Excellent discussion

Quite rightabc, , we must have met !

snowball, Have flights booked to Verona for New Year next year -likely to be trying Kronplatz including a couple of days at the Sella Ronda

Met some people in Obergurgl who were returning for the same week, in the same hotel, for the 35th consecutive year. Apparently the tourist office was about to errect a plaque in their honour.

Reckon family trips may become a tradition to the same place (they are pretty expensive beasts to take a punt on), augmented with short breaks with mates or just the kids as they get older which are more adventurous
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To be honest, there's a lot to be said for going back to the same place every year. After skiing for many years, I do have a short list of places I really like and would not hesitate to go back without a thought....

2 years ago, I did a week of spring skiing at St Moritz. The price was low and the snow pack was high. And the people in the hotel I was staying was so friendly we talked about booking the same week next year together (I have no doubt some of them DID before they even finish the week). I was very much tempted. But my job is relatively fluid so I can't be that sure I have the exact same week off the next year. By next year, I was tempted away by another trip instead. Still, I keep thinking about that week, in St Moritz...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are obvious merits of both, but I do enjoy going back to the same place every year - it feels like a home resort where I know all the best off piste and know quite a few local characters. But it's nice to try somewhere different whenever the chance arises.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Blastfromthepast, do you apply the same philosphy to nocturnal relations with Mrs Blast?

Variety is the spice of life - think of Obergurgl as the missionary position with the lights off after 'Lewis'...
latest report
I have gone back to PDS and the 3V's, both big areas, which allowed staying in new places and getting a new angle on a familiar area, conditions have varied enough for me to enjoy each and every trip.

I am a tourist on piste 2/3 trips a year person, and there is a comfort to knowing a bar or restaurant will not let you down. Also with both ski areas being so large leaves plenty for another trip.

My OH went to Megeve and loved it in February, and fancy giving it a go next season( subject to lottery win)

Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

do you apply the same philosphy to nocturnal relations with Mrs Blast?

Very Happy

If he does he'll apply the following (in his own words):

Quote:

Takes a while to find way around new area
Hit and miss trying new things
On a short break you spend additional valuable time working stuff out

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Because I organise a group of experienced skiers the week before Christmas I have been limited to large, snowsure areas. We have tended to return to a resort for a second year if we like the accommodation etc. and move on to a different one after that. I like the security of knowing what to expect for the second year and can relax a bit with the organisation. If it were just me or a smaller group I would probably try somewhere different each holiday as I can only go once and occasionally twice a year.

As I've gained in experience and started to venture off piste, I am happy playing and picking a route down, perhaps staying in one area for quite a while. A couple of years ago I was more interested in going fast and travelling as far as possible. I can see the advantage of knowing somewhere well to get the best out of a resort.
ski holidays
Blastfromthepast wrote:
Excellent discussion

Quite rightabc, , we must have met !

snowball, Have flights booked to Verona for New Year next year -likely to be trying Kronplatz including a couple of days at the Sella Ronda

Met some people in Obergurgl who were returning for the same week, in the same hotel, for the 35th consecutive year. Apparently the tourist office was about to errect a plaque in their honour.

Reckon family trips may become a tradition to the same place (they are pretty expensive beasts to take a punt on), augmented with short breaks with mates or just the kids as they get older which are more adventurous

Were they from Inverness / North of Scotland by any chance?
snow report
Generally, I like to try different places, but there are a few I'd go back to. Kitzbühel being one (went back there this season), SkiWelt because 3 days there wasn't enough to explore properly, Madonna because I only had one day there and really enjoyed it, and maybe Courmayeur. I don't think I'd go back to La Plagne, Andorra or Val Thorens.
ski holidays
Bergmeister, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Bergmeister, Laughing superb
ski holidays
I love trying lots of different resorts, and I return to the ones I like the best. I find it doesn't take long at all to get used to a place, and it's fun reading the piste map.

I especially like going to a different Austrian resort each year - so far the only one I'd be really excited to go back to is St Anton.

I've skied in quite a few French resorts, several of which I've returned to three or four times.

The ones I'd go to again include Val D, Tignes, Alpe D'Huez and Courchevel. I'm a bit bored with La Plagne now, but I'd still go again one day.

No missionary positions for me Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Skiing is an elitist sport you elitist Be Nice please!!!!
latest report
red 27, Nothing wrong with the missionary position but "Lewis" -now you're just being hurtful Very Happy
latest report
Think I am one of those like trying different resorts.

Did 23 overseas skiing trips and have them recorded in a spreadsheet with a macro to interrogate the details of the resorts.

The number of different resorts visited so far in France/Austria/Italy/Switzerland/USA are 31/33/18/18/16 respectively.

Haven't run out of choices yet. There are only 132 resorts entries in 14 countries so far since 1999 from a skier who learned to ski by himself after turning 50.

I know many like to stay at one place but there is nothing to stop us ski as many resorts as we like in a trip. It is just taking the car along.
snow conditions
This is realy interresting,, how we think about this, In one way, Its difficult to learn to find the best skiing in a new area, but that is in the superareas, like 3V in france or Waisse Ring in Austria, but in smaller area its not a problem. Its also interresting to see new places, different countrys, making roadtrips for 2 weeks for example in the pyreenees, and skiing the real small resorts for one day, and go further next day. When I go skiing with my family, we go to resorts we know, and make reservation long time in advance. but when I´m skiing with my friends or my self, I decide not earlier than one week in advance to be sure to have the best snow, so it can be France, Austria, Spain, Norway and even Greece, or for next year, why not Scotland? There is one resort that I coming back to every year since 1978, Its not realy a good lift system, the skiing is outspread and not connected with with each other, and the powderdays its complet hysterical, and quite expensive. so why did I coming back,, Chamonix is Magic Very Happy
ski holidays
I have not yet returned to the same resort. At the back of my mind I have my A level economics teacher talking about marginal utlity and how the first bite of a mars bar is the best and each subsequent bite not quite so good. My worry is that you have a great skiing holiday in a particular resort when you return it might not be quite so good particularly if there is less snow and you lose the excitement of trying a new place. Nevertheless next year for the first time we will return to a resort we've already been to and stay in the same accommodation. I think the children will enjoy returning somewhere familiar and we will know our way around and hopefully fit more skiing in.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowymum, it is great to go out for a good ski and get on with it without having to check. And we have our own 'circuits' which we know will take x amount of time so we can squeeze in for example the 'Morzine loop' (not as extensive as it sounds!), depending what our plans are. Brilliant for the boys too so they can have much more independence especially the older one as they know it so well.

That said, we are getting away as a family twice a season and we do make the effort to go somewhere else for second trip which is great. Plus having the car with us gives us more flexibility for day trips especially in April when the days are longer.

Plus I enjoy the research & planning for new places which I am doing now for April, with my leg elevated following a short day trip to the glacier in Paradiski three weeks ago Embarassed Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I am another one who likes to go to new places, however I do also have a list of places I will go back to. However for the first time (since I have controlled where I am skiing, as my parents did take us to one resort for a second time but all other ski holidays with my parents was to somewhere new), we did go back to the Courchevel. We stayed in 1550 on my first skiing holiday with my husband, and 10yrs on we actually returned there but staying in 1850 this time. I love discovering new routes, pistes and huts.
snow report
I've been to Vallandry/Les Arcs for the last 10 ski trips

We keep having the same discussion about going somewhere else, but keep coming back to the fact that:

1. We like it there
2. The apartments we book are ideal for us as a family
3. We know what's what
4. I know where I can take kids safely without them (i.e. me) getting tired and where to stop

A bit predicatable maybe but for us it just suits in current situation
snow conditions
If one goes to places like Aspen, Beaver Creek, Zermatt, St Moritz, St Anton, Ischgl etc one doesn't need to get used to it. Just enjoy what the resort has got.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy