Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Overnight stops in France

Poster: A snowHead
Planning for trip to Les Arcs over Christmas. Will be driving down as 3 kids and associated clobber makes flying tricky. Anyone got any recommendations for hotels around Lyon to break the journey?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can highly recomment Hotel Ibis in Annecy Centre (not the out of town one) its about €70 per night per room. Its in the old town, but good value, free car park under the hotel. Annecy is a lovely town to walk around in the evening and makes a very good break. Its just under 2 hours on to Les Arcs from Annecy.
Chambery also has hotels but they are less accessible in the old town, and away from the centre you are staying in an industrial estate. From Chambery Les Arcs is 1 1/2 hours. We usually have a 6am breakfast to beat the traffic and enjoy an extra days skiing
How old are the kids? We found story tapes from the library makes the hours slip by, especially on the rather deflated homeward journey.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 19-07-05 8:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Martin Nicholas, Hi Martin - thanks for the info, will have a look at that. Come Xmas kids will be twin 5 year old boys and a 3 year old girl. Last few years have stayed in Nuit St Georges south of Dijon which has a great family room, but being Xmas we wanted to get closer to Lyon to beat the rush. Storybooks may well be a plan this year, always had the nursery time tapes before which are driving me insane. May also look at the portable DVD option
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is a hotel chain that has a triple room for about £30 per night that has somewhere near the airport. Friends of ours stayed there last year and described it as functional. Shall post the link when i find it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, This sounds like Formule 1 - toilets in the corridor, furnace like heating, its a bed in a warehouse. Same goes for the Etape chain although they do have loos in the rooms. Fine if all you need is a bed and sleep, but I wouldn't take my family there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nope its neither of them but Ive got my friend on the case.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We stayed in Anse, just north of Lyon, in Hotel St Romaine. You can find it on www.logis-de-france.fr . It has a nice restaurant too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What is so good about French hotels in general is they will happily squeeze in a cot or an extra bed or let little kids sleep top-to-toe if necessary so the family can stay together in one room - with the charge being based on the room. Not sure if this works for the really cheap motel style places though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Not sure if this works for the really cheap motel style places though

Formule 1, Etap, Mister Bed etc. are all automated (pay by credit card at a machine by the front door to get a room access code) after about 7PM so you could squeeze a whole coach party into a room and no-one other than the, very cramped, occupants would have a clue.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 19-07-05 10:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is the site https://www.envergure.fr its a good site, try using the advance search.
This is the hotel: LYON ST LAURENT DE MURE ST EXUPERY. More motel than hotel.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's always Formula1...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Formula 1's border on the uncomfortable, but Etape and Misterbed are alright. We drive to our destination (La Clusaz for the past three years) and as we are on a heavy budget these hotels are ideal. Another chain is Premiere Class, and our favourite is the Village Hotel chain, which are very nice and comfortable. The one in Geneva had a view to the Alps - very tempting as we stayed the night before driving on into La Clusaz!
hope you have a good journey!
Julia
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mister Bed, Villages Hotels and B&B are the budget motel chains which sleep 4 that I have used. They all have air conditioning.

B&B tends to be the most expensive but is slightly more comfortable. Most B&B family rooms have the 2 single beds on a mezzanine level that young kids find very exciting.

We always found enough space for a travel cot for no.3 and have now graduated to an airbed.

Links:
http://www.misterbed.fr/lsf/lsfinstit/index-a.html
http://www.villages-hotel.com/index.php?i_sid=1146581463&i_lang=44
http://www.bb-hotel.fr/index.phtml?NumLangue=2&id=&source=&numrecord=&hotelid=&NumRegion=&codpos=&choixweek=&theme=&pays=
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Could try Ibis hotels which are all over France and aren't bad in price.When we drive from St Malo (France) to Murren (Switzerland) we always stop at 2 of the hotels.We dont have kids but instead have 2 huskies and the rooms are not bad in size for a night stop.

Visit www.accorhotels.com

good luck snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We often stop at the Novotel in Beaune which is unusual in that, apart from the usual Family rooms (2+2), they also have some large family rooms that take 5 (2+3) which suits other members of our group Smile
snow report
Quote:

Storybooks may well be a plan this year, always had the nursery time tapes before which are driving me insane.

If it is still around, try the recording of "The Sheep Pig" by Dick King Smith. The book of "Babe" but better than the film. Kept our entire family, including the drivers, interested and quiet all the way down the M6, many years ago. It may be the years I spent camping, or sleeping in damp, cramped, noisy berths on yachts, or in third world dives of various kinds, or maybe I am just a peasant, but I find Formule 1 quite acceptable for a cheap night, except when the weather is too hot (unlikely in the ski season). To save climbing up on those horrible top bunks, put the mattress on the floor. I cannot afford to spend 100 euros a night just for a kip, especially if we stop driving at 9pm and start again early in the morning.
snow conditions
pam w, I have upgraded to Premiere Classe for a few Euros more. The luxury of not shuffling down the corridor to the loo Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy