Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which bindings would you choose?

Poster: A snowHead
After renting a pair for a couple of days, i decided to buy a pair of Rossy S5's, found them for a pretty reasonable £269 delivered from http://www.chainreactioncycles.com

Just got to decide what bindings to go for. Ive had a look around and there are quite a few options,
Salomon sth 12's for £110,
Rossy Axial 120 xl's for £112,
Marker Griffons 12's for £112,
Salomon sth 14's for £135,
Marker Jester 16's for £165

Has anyone got any preferences? My current bindings are set to 8 or 9 i think which people have suggested is a bit low but it seems to be the consistent setting the shops set any rental skis i hire to?

Sole length is 338 off the top of my head (size 11uk), 6ft 3, 20 odd stone?

Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated

Many Thanks

Mat
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dump the rossi, any of the Sallys will allow for height adjustment of boot lugs if using vibram sole, the Markers are all good strong and lightweight.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
.. any of the Sallys will allow for height adjustment of boot lugs if using vibram sole.....

I never knew that, good info. Do they still work as normal?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Quote:

any of the Sallys will allow for height adjustment

Really ? The STH12s I had on my Coombaks didn't ?

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/sth-12-oversize.html

But the STH14 Driver and STH16 do..

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/sth-14-driver.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski, Sorry as you said, bit confusing, STH would normally be the same thing with various din options, the STH 12 is the Ztrack thingummywhatsitballix, so dump that off the options too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
.. any of the Sallys will allow for height adjustment of boot lugs if using vibram sole.....

The toe adjustment in the Sallie bindings mentioned is designed to give a fine height adjustment for alpine boots only - you use them with Vibram soles at your own risk.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you checked Freeze Pro shop, they have a really good sale on at the moment and had S5s cheaper than that the last time I looked. I have Jester Schizos and they are not a light binding, don't know if they are heavier than the non Schizo version but they feel a lot heavier than the Griffons on my other skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

The toe adjustment in the Sallie bindings mentioned is designed to give a fine height adjustment for alpine boots only - you use them with Vibram soles at your own risk.

Not quite sure why SZK has chopped Rossis off the list, given the choice (and I just did) they would be the ones I'd go for. Just had mounted one set of Marker Dukes, one set of (old) Rossi Axial2s, and one set of Look Pivots (same as Rossi FKS). In robustness I'd probably put them in reverse order, since though I've not heard bad things about the Dukes robustness they don't look as tough as the Rossis.
Salomon bindings I had (well still have, just don't really use much) were okay as long as I remembered to get the toe height re-adjusted every now and then - suspect they might have fixed that by now though?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, Given this is the only binding offered with toe height adjustment, it's the only one capable of being used with vibram rando height specs without entering into pre release. Further problems with AFD are subjective as using a worn PU sole, if you hurt you knee afterwards, well skiing ain't great on knees, the Manufacturers instructions are still the same as tha from 8 years ago, alot has changed, so, check, if really worried with a tech as to the match between vibram unit and AFD.
stuarth, The current Rossi/ Look binding (PX-BALLIX) sucks, it's drive unit is too narrow for ski above 70mm in the waist and thus comes loose with use. One can argue, better that than the additional torque forces on the knees, but for my money this binding sucks ass. Blush
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Surely not (from my sample of 1, well 1 plus a few mates who also have them on bigger skis)?
I've had Axial2s on my Mantras for a good long time and given them quite a beating with no detrimental effect.
Had problems with Tyrolia pre-releasing. Atomic ones being generally scary due to fear of them just falling clean off (pre-release not the binding-ski!) in a rutted course (which they did!), and Salomon with self-toe height adjusting, but never an issue with the Rossis, hence my recent purchase of new Looks.
I spent a bit of time looking at the width thing since my Pivots got mounted on 128s and really there doesn't seem that much difference. The Marker Dukes are a bit wider mounting and marginally wider toe-piece (Salomon the only noticibly wider toe piece), but much more plasticy especially compared to the 18 Rossi/Looks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
midget biker has Tyrolia Peak18s for £100. Def worth putting on you list especially at that price. I know he has stock left.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stuarth, Pivot no problems at all, ever or ever, PX is a waste of time and money, is that not the model being offered?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stuarth, We have around 20 pairs of used PX bindings, all of the trains are loose, i'll, if I get a mo, make a little video of the problem, all mounted on <100 mm skis, Pro XXL, BC Navis/Corvus etc. The PX will soon be obsolete, Look acknowledging the uselessness of their binding on skis over 70mm.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
....if really worried check with a tech as to the match between vibram unit and AFD....

Yep, it's the AFD that's the problem with the Sallie's & vibram. On dual boot bindings (Duke/Baron/FT12/FT10/Fritcshi) the AFD moves rearward as well as down for vibram sole use thus moving the contact point to the correct place. I've torque tested a couple of Sallie/vibram combo's are couldn't get consistent release figures - about +/- 1 din at a setting of 10 IIRC.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, On a positive side, we've done loads(S9) for this reason, had no issues in many years. The most part of the Marker bindings all have the DUKE system for next near, it's lighter than the Sally albeit has no adjustable wings.
To return to the OP, pick any of the last three IMO.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
.....To return to the OP, pick any of the last three IMO.

Or all metal Vist 614's wink
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, OK I'm now utterly baffled by the Rossi/Look/Dynastar binding hierarchy. Can you clarify which models you consider to be fine (faux turntable heels ish generation?) and which are crap (Axial 2/PX?).
snow report
fatbob, Anything Look Pivot, great, anything based around the Look PX, ballix (unless used with sub 70mm).
snow report
So Axial 1 (turntable ish but not FKS) fine, Axial 2 (linear heel) bollux? What's the train - the heel piece that sits in the mounting track?
ski holidays
fatbob, Exactly.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, have you seen any problems with the Jester/Griffon/Schizo's bendy plastic heel base plate? I've had a few in were the base plate has pulled over the screw heads.
snow report
spyderjon, No, but doesn't surprise me, the plate needs taping or clamping down before screwing into place otherwise it sits proud too easy, depending on ski construction, so if that were not done, i would say one of the most likely outcomes would be your said issue.
snow report
spyderjon, That said on visual inspection, it does look a bit pony, i'm surprised that has not been more issues than we have seen.
snow conditions
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=75262 - 916 LABs from Jan would be my choice, tho see if he has wide brakes available Smile
latest report
Sideshow_Bob, They're feckin heavy though!
snow report
Thanks for the replies guys, been an interesting read Smile

Think ill go for the griffons, Lockwoods (just down the road from me) want £160 for them but will fit them for free, £25 fitting otherwise and i quite like the look of them, although am tempted by those Tyrolia Peak18s, they sound quite a good deal

Cheers
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy