Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Norway for Summer holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been in May for a Summer holiday? Thinking of renting an RV and heading to the Fjords/mountains for a week. Any recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BobinCH, A couple of years ago I had a week long motoring trip by car around Norway (went on the Newcastle to Stavangar ferry which sadly no longer operates). Some places I went to were Morgedal and Rjukan in the Telemark region. Morgedal was the home of ski pioneer Sondre Norheim and there is an excellent ski museum there. Rjukan was the location of the WW2 "Heroes of Telemark" commando raid on the heavy water plant, which is now also an interesting museum. I also stayed at Geilo one day and took the train from there to Myrdal for the Flamsbahn mountain railway (although you could drive to Flam by road and still go on the Flamsbahn). I ended up in Oslo, which is nice in Summer, and you can visit the collossal ski jump on the Holmenkollenen which has a great view over the city and harbour.
Just one word of warning - Norway is expensive generally, and alcohol even more so, so if you like a drink be sure to use your duty free allowance on the way in! Toofy Grin

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 10-04-11 16:40; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BobinCH, - we went a little later on i.e last week in June 1st week in July. We took our own car and hired a log cabin on the shores of Geiranger Fjord and spent our 1st week there. We had our mountain bikes with us and did some epic full day rides in a fantastic area. We also had a days ski-ing at the Strynn summer ski centre which was a 45 minute drive up in to the mountains from our sea level base, even at that time of the year the snow at the side of the road were it had been carved out was 3 to 4 meters thick. Another day we hired a speed boat which was a fantastic experience. Geiranger Fjord is a stopping off point for the cruise ships. When we were there the Bahaman registered Splendour of the Seas was anchored in the bay and we cruised around it in our tiny boat it really was a huge vessel. If you like fresh sea food this is a great country to visit. Second week we motored down to the Hardanger Fjord and rented an appartment via the very good local tourist office. Second week was pretty much more of the same except for the ski-ing. As for night life - pretty tame in comparison to Zermatt were we have also stayed on numerous occasions in the summertime.
I think hiring an RV will be a great way to get around and Norway is a great place for motoring. The roads are very well maintained and never particularly busy in our experience. I think you will enjoy it - we certainly did.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Bob,

I spent a couple of weeks there in the summer. I have been hiking in the Trollenheim range a few years ago and the mountains are just gorgeous. If you fly somewhere more north then I would definitely recommend going to the Lofoten Islands. If you fancy also making a couple of turns Stryn is in full season (they only open at the end of May). PM me for details about any of the above.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Norway is an awesome country...
Cycled from Bergen to Trondheim in 2004 - and it was a great trip.
One of the nicest places in Europe.

Generally the west coast is the interesting part - though I would love to visit Tromso & Lofoton Islands in the far north.
May will still be very much spring there - but it should be a great time to visit.

Norway can be expensive - but its only really the pubs & eating out that will really break the bank.
All of the camp sites have wooden huts available for rent.
They work out about £20 a night - so could be a good alternative to a camper van.

One last thing - the top speed limit is a very strict 50mph (break it and your looking at a potential £800 fine!).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I go to Norway all the time.

check out fjordpass.no for cheap rooms in good hotels (no view but a big saving). I would not stay in a pensionat (b&b). Geiranger is a must. The Grande Fjord hotel is a good plac. ONe overlooked thing in Norway is the cost of the room. It is generally not that expensive for a room compared to the UK but the food is expensive. However, the cold buffet breakfast is exceptional and most places allow you to make a packed lunch. I was always a buit embarrassed to do this, then I realised everyone was. Happy

My favourite hotel (and one of the best meals I´ve had world wide) is the Kviknes hotel in Ballestrand. Beautiful.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haggis_Trap, Lofoten.... nice. I´m off there in August. Also went ot Norefjell in March for skiing. Lovely.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some very informative ideas for you to take. However most important piece of information to take note of is Haggis_Trap, and the speed limit, and ideed all of their rules of the road! Mrs RH (a Norwegian) got done for driving on a road that changes in the evening time to pedestrians only! They changed the ruling while she was living here in Ireland! There was a sign but very obscure and small!! Got fined about €700, luckily no points on the licence! BE WARNED!!! That said it is a fantastic place!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fantastic info. Thanks all. We did an RV holiday in Canada in 2009 which was sensational (Logan's middle name isn't Harvey by chance wink) so tempted to go that route again. I'm half Norwegian so will spend the first few days with family until May 17th and then we're thinking of doing 7 days "touring". I have these amazIng childhood memories of picking wild blueberries before diving into a crystal clear lake. Millsy and Logan want to experience! Family is in Drammen so we'd be starting and finishing the RV trip from Oslo. Any 7 day road trip itineraries appreciated!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH, Anywhere near Aasiden? If so go to the "hill" and give Erik and Guri my best!

Mrs. RH grew up 50m from the "Aron" hill in Drammen! Fantastic story of how the hill was created!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 12-04-11 16:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH, Your going on the "syttende mai" (17th of may) National day. Happy

Have a look here for a great place to stay...
http://www.grandefjordhotel.com/
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g642196-d481134-Reviews-Grande_Fjord_Hotel-Geiranger_More_og_Romsdal_Western_Fjords.html

and some amazing pictures.

http://www.grandefjordhotel.com/geiranger.html
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH, we went to Oppdal over New Year so not the time of year you're talking about but...

I agree with the comments on the speed limits, it wasn't that much of an issue for us as the roads were covered in snow but in summer I imagine it would be very easy to stray, looking at the costs of the fines mentioned I'm glad we had the conditions we did. The upshot was it takes a while to get anywhere in the North (Oppdal is probably not even halfway and it took us over 8 hours to drive from Torp), if you're heading up that way it might be worth considering taking a train or even a flight and hiring a car up there. Scenery-wise everywhere is pretty spectacular and worth a look. I can put you in touch with an aspirant guide friend in Oppdal if you end up that way and want suggestions for hikes etc.

Food etc. is expensive but you're used to Swiss prices so it won't seem extortionate, also beer from supermarkets isn't that pricey it's only bars where you might have to consider selling the lad to settle the bill.

Campsite huts are great places to stay, that's what we did and I think it cost us about £80 each for 10 nights including bedding and it was plenty warm enough even with a max daytime temp of -27 C. There are loads of sites too, literally every 20 km along the main road.

Haggis_Trap, I'll have to talk to you about the cycling at some point, a tour up the west coast is on my list of things to do.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Norway has the best whitewater kayaking in the world, so defo get some rafting in.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy