Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any sggestions for a beginner group who were a little shaken by Val d'Isère?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

Me and a group of friends went skiing for the first time this year in Val d'Isère. We had a brillaint time - much better than I expected Smile Most of us were first timers, a few had been years back as kids. Everything about the resort was top notch and my only gripe was that the green runs were a little tricky to learn on for most of us. The nursery slopes were too short to get a decent feel for it and the difficulty ramped as soon as we got up the mountain. If i'm being honest it was brown trouser time for much of the week! Regardless, we're all hooked and plan on skiing again in early 2012 and would like to visit somewhere a little more forgiving, hopefully with long easy greens that could ease us into some long easy blues. I've been looking at a few resorts (would Les Arcs 1800/2000 fit the bill?) but could really do with some advice and would appreciated any suggestions.

H
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Austria.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
howie, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead there are, as Whitegold suggests, some very good places in Austria for near beginners (and I sympathize with your experience in Val D'Isere which is not a good choice for beginners or nervous early skiers). However not all resorts in Austria will give you exactly what you need - you need very specific recommendations.

The single key factor might be standard of tuition and the choice of ski school might me more important for your future skiing than choice of resort. Who did you use in Val D'Isere? (The other thing is that snow conditions weren't all that good for a lot of the time this year, which might have made learning harder).

You'd need to be prepared, though, for the fact that many resorts, in all countries, which are really good for beginners will not share all Val D'Isere's positive attributes. However, many will be considerably cheaper. wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. It's much appreciated Smile

We learnt with The Development Center, pam w. I thought the instructor was very good - friendly, patient. I'd happily use them again. As you said conditions weren't great this year (not that i've anything to compare them against! but everyone seems to be saying this) and the short nursey slope at times felt like corrugated ice. It wasn't until we got up the mountain that that the runs were long enough to actually feel like we were skiing, as opposed to doing 4 or 5 turns and gettting back on the bum lift. It was also up on the mountian that the gradient took a turn for the Shocked By the last day most of us were getting the hang of it and had conquered, if a little shakily, most of the greens.

The main priority for the next holiday is the skiing and while Val d'Isère was brilliant and a place I will revisit as a stronger skiier, the consensus is that we want plenty of gentler, long greens with a view to hitting some blues as we regain our ski legs. With this in mind, do any resorts in Austria, or anywhere else, jump out?

Cheers,

H
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
howie, I echo Whitegold's thought - and suggest the Ski Amade area. Lots of gentle runs, delightful environment, wonderful mountain restaurants, and relatively cheap. If , however, you want to stick to France, Alpe d'Huez is well worth looking at. Basically the place is like a saucer - with the runs being very gentle at the base, and steepening as you progress toward the edge.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice one, achilles. Checking them out now.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
montgenevre (france) has a long pretty wide green run (600m vertical, usually good snow - highish and north facing) from top of mountain to resort (with a restaurant 1/2 way down) and pretty easy blues to progress to - its nursery area is quite long/big too much more than 5 turns - probably the best for beginners of the 33 resorts i have been to!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
L2A loads of easy runs
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
howie, there's a lovely beginners area just above Villeneuve in Serre Chevalier that would also be suitable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks alot, guys. I'm going to check each of these places out Smile

Am I right in guessing that Les Arcs 1800/2000 aren't great for beginners? Accomodation wise these have just what we're after.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
howie, Les Arc will be fine - plenty of suitable runs - I probably shouldnt say it (?) but maybe you should get some reference material if you are worried - there is a good (reliable IMV) set of tope 10 lists in this book, for example - http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/the-book - I have found it usefull in planning what to do with groups of beginners & others (eg Val d has great beginners/green runs, but you should consider gettting the lift down to avoid the ones you found tricky) - to make the best of whatever choice you make as well as make the choice itself!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers, Wildsmith. I'll see if everyone wants to chip together and give that book a shot.

I actually find organising a ski holiday quite daunting compared to other types of holiday - there's so much to consider and plan. Anything that makes it easier will be good.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I actually find organising a ski holiday quite daunting compared to other types of holiday

Dead right, it is, and even people with years of experience of doing it still struggle. You can't please everyone, you can't have everything, and you have to plan for everything between minus 15 and howling blizzards right through to warm sunny days with no precipitation within sight.

You've plenty of time to plan for next year. snowHead

One possibility if your budget is not too tight is Simon Butler skiing in Megeve - they have kind of "built in" ski lessons which makes the organisation hugely easier. Megeve is a sophisticated resort (much more French than Val D'Isere) with loads of gentle skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a few lesser known, far less fashionable resorts in the Haute Maurienne region of France that have lovely villages, cheap self-catering and plenty of gentle green runs through the trees. Not huge resorts, but you don't need that in your first few weeks. I went 2 years running with a group of friends when we were all just learning and some were still students (so we needed something cheap). We felt like we were travelling around easily, rather than just going up and down a nursery slope. They were Valloire (http://www.valloire.net) and Val Cenis (www.valcenis.com).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would second a smaller resort, The first few years I went skiing we went to quite obscure places and it was great. In smaller places you get to know the mountain quickly so don't have to spend ages studying a piste map worrying you will get to the top of a lift and not be able to ski down. Smaller places often tend to be quieter as well and, in my opinion, the skiers that are there are of a better standard. They are often locals who ski all the time and have done so since they were 3 rather than once a year holiday skiers.
snow report
A small resort would be absolutely fine - but you do need to make sure you get recommendations for really good tuition. It wouldn't be so good to find yourself in a big group where you'll get no individual attention and feedback.

One thing about more obscure resorts is that the private lessons can be a lot cheaper than in the big ones and worth considering as an alternative in places where group lessons will probably be in French (the same may apply in obscure resorts in Austria or Italy. My first ski holiday was in an extremely obscure Austrian resort and I was in an entirely German ski class. I had done O level, and a Dutch woman in the group helped me with translation - it was great fun, but if I'd spoken no German I'd have ended up being shoved into an unsuitable group just because of language).

But if you want a holiday organised by a British Tour Operator then the choice is limited. They don't (by definition?) go to "obscure resorts" because once TOs go there, they don't stay obscure! If you don't want to add to the burden or organisation, using a tour operator would probably be a good idea.

Stick around, there'll be lots of good suggestions.
latest report
I have't been a beginner for quite some years so what I think is "easy" may not be easy enough for true beginners...

Still, I think some part of the Dolomites has lots of easy slopes. Part of me keep remembering how often we had to pole to get where we were going! Those were some long flat pistes. Wink (gorgeous scenary to compensate Smile )
ski holidays
howie,
Looking at what you say I think Madonna di Campiglio would be ideal.
If you want to DIY then have a look at this and then give the tourist information a call.
http://www.campigliodolomiti.it/homepage
I have skied in "lots" of resorts and this has to be (easily) the best lower intermediate resort you'll find anywhere.
Another choice would Soll in Austria which also offers a link into a very ski area so lots of gentle runs to get around.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Austria.

Nothing like generalizing.

St Anton - ideal for beginners Puzzled

To the OP
I do know Val quite well and there are some pretty easy greens and blues. Le Fornet area, Glacier Express, Madelline Express on Solaise, Grand Pre area, see http://www.valdisere.com/gb/glisse/domaine_skiable/plan_pistes.php?expandable=1&ssmenu=21# the area marked "Tranquille". Best to download say from Solaise for beginners. Nothing against Austria, I live here, and would recommend Austria for a future trip to experience a different ski trip than say Val has to offer, but not all Austrian resorts are the same.
latest report
I was about to suggest Alpe D'Huez and see that someone already has. I was there about 10 years ago with a beginner and it was great. It also has a pretty good leisure centre with an outdoor pool in the snow, so an alternative if any of your group wasn't a few hours off.
Morzine/Les Gets is pretty well provided with easy slopes, a pretty traditional town and the big plus is that it's only 45 mins from Geneva airport. The only slight drawback is that it is a bit lower so you do sometimes find the snow conditions aren't so good. Might depend on what time of hyear you are planning to go? Alternatively Avoriaz is just 15 mins further on and is a bit higher up. I had a (different) beginner friendwith me in Avoriaz and she enjoyed it there. By the end of the week she managed to ski over to Morzine with me and felt a real sense of achievement
snow report
Yep, another vote for Alpe D'Huez from me, it has a vast area of gentle slopes, and all above the resort so they're easy to get to.

Only downside is crowded pistes at times.
snow report
Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone - I wasn't expecting nearly as much help. I may be back with more questions, but for now there's plenty to go on Smile

snowHead
ski holidays
Another vote for Alpe d'Huez.

Most of the easy green runs are right on your doorstep close in to the village. then as you progress to the blues and reds they're a bit further out, and the blacks further out again. Some resorts have great beginner areas, but you have to either get the lift back down, or ski a red or busy run to get back.

Quite high, 1850 IIRC, so a relatively good bet for early snow (cue the Height isn't everything brigade), good nightlife and not too pricey (when i was there '95 and '05)
snow report
Wildsmith wrote:
howie, Les Arc will be fine - plenty of suitable runs - I probably shouldnt say it (?) but maybe you should get some reference material if you are worried - there is a good (reliable IMV) set of tope 10 lists in this book, for example - http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/the-book - I have found it usefull in planning what to do with groups of beginners & others (eg Val d has great beginners/green runs, but you should consider gettting the lift down to avoid the ones you found tricky) - to make the best of whatever choice you make as well as make the choice itself!

There are much better places than Les Arcs for what you want...
ski holidays
Having been to SkiWelt (i.e. Söll, Ellmau, Scheffau) with a beginner this year I probably wouldn't recommend it. The nursery slopes and standard of tuition were great, but the progression to blue runs was a bit tough. Remember there are no green runs in Austria, just blue, red and black and in fairness across a lot of SkiWelt, I couldn't tell the difference between the blue and red runs. My beginner friend was terrified by the couple of blue runs she attempted. However, a fantastic ski area for intermediates of all levels.

I think Niederau in Austria is a good resort for beginners, it was a very long time ago for me (my first ski trip in 1977), but I have continued to hear good things since then. Rather wishing I had taken my friend there.
snow report
queen bodecia, I think Niederau would have also given your friend the heeby-geebies as well. Your trip was just that wee bit too short for her to overcome her fear and have faith in her ability to progress down slopes that were not that steep in comparison to the protected nursery slopes. I still watch the film I have of her skiing superbly on the nursery slope at Hoch-Brixen and then remember how long it took us to bring her down the long easy blue to the same place.

howie, Anywhere in the Salzburger Ski Amade region would meet your expectations. Loads for adventurous intermediates to do and also an excellent progression for nervous beginners to shake off their doubts about tackling "big" slopes. I would recommend somewhere like Wagrain or Schladming (Rohrmoos side). Only a 60 minute ride from Salzburg Airport is also an advantage.

Another area worth looking at is the Sölden area in Tirol; a very big area with good progression. Serfus/Fliss also has an excellent reputation for progression although my experience there is very, very dated these days. Again very close to Innsbruck Airport with easy transfer times.

Alternatively look at some of the quiet areas of Switzerland - the PdS on the Swiss side is generally quieter and often more pleasant to ski. Zermat has some wonderful long flattering blues and also plenty to do for those further along the learning curve.

Any of the recognised local ski schools in Switzerland and Austria would be OK. All Austrian ski instructors HAVE to be able to speak English and if their English is not up to scratch, good schools organise lessons for them (nice job for people like me
Toofy Grin ). Obviously there are still some whose understanding is dubious at best, but they are retiring rapidly as the younger people who have to have studied AND PASSED English at school are entering the scene.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, fair point. You don't learn much in 3 days.
ski holidays
Alpe d'Huez is the classic answer, but be aware that the enormous area of green runs - whilst perfect on paper - attracts a lot of speeding through-traffic.

Also, once off the greens, the obvious blue progression runs are either uncomfortably steep (coming down from Signal / Villard) or ludicrously, dangerously, crowded (Le Couloir). If I was a beginner again, and I was in the AdH area, I'd rather be up the Montfrais bit above Vaujany.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
howie, You havent mentioned budget but if cost is not an issue then you could look at Whistler in Canada. Yes I know it is further but you still loose a day traveling anywhere.

The good news is everything is in English so cuts out any language hassles. Village is great walk everywhere place - bit like disneyland but ok, provided you bunk in the main village. Long (and Wide) Green area policed to ensure slow skiing. Loads of progression up to some very very crazy stuff. Every member of staff is happy and helpful from lifties to bar staff. Never a problem with lack of snow when ever we have been.

They run a Ski Esprit system (run by the ski school - there is only the one) for 3 to 5 days where each in the group can be put into their relevant standard at a reasonable price. The max in a group is 7 and it is a cross between learning and leading round the mountains. This also give you lift priority too - not that lifts are too much hassle as all queues are managed with everyone feeding in sensibly not a bun fight funnel.

Many TO packages go there so you can play them off against each other and get the price down. A lot of the accommodation has cooking facilities so you can do food yourselves of eat out as you feel. DIY for a large group maybe quite hard work but is possible. Use search facilities on here for finding out more as there is loads of information on every resort already posted.
ski holidays
I suspect Whistler will be out of budget, Jake43. Our absolute max budget is a grand all in - including food/drinks/ski hire/passes etc. I'll have a look anyway - after a quick google it looks perfect for our needs. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers for mentioning Vaujany btw, Mr Technique. I've seen a few lovely chalets that seem well situated for accessing Alpe d'Huez and Montfrais that should be in budget.

At the moment we're looking mostly at Alpe d'Huez/Montfrais and Amade. Seeing as most people want a catered chalet it's looking like we'll end up somewhere in France. Do other countries do catered chalets?
ski holidays
Hi, La Toussuire in Les Sybelles skiarea, the 4th biggest in france, a excellent resort for beginners and families, the prices are generaly 20% less than in other bigger resorts, there is also skiing for better skier in Saint Sorlin, very good offpistarea there, but to stay in La Toussuire, with some real good resturants is a good choice for a beginnergroup Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

Do other countries do catered chalets?

it's not so much countries, as TOs - if you look at the brochures of the tour operators who do catered chalets, you will certainly find some in countries other than France (though most are in France) and there are also some independent operators elsewhere, this one for example - http://www.austrian-adventures.com/
ski holidays
Thanks Pam. Checking them out now.
ski holidays
howie, there are reports (all positive) on snowheads from people who have been to austrian adventures.
latest report
howie, have a look at La Thuile. You would (almost certainly) need to get the gondola down at the end of the night - the runs home are steep blacks and a very nice (but by the end of the day busy and bumpy) red. But the main bowl is great for beginners. And everything is much less expensive than Val d'Isere and the other mega resorts.
latest report
Hi all.

Thanks again for the suggestions - I spent time investigating them all. Frustratingly it's looking like there are very few options that meet our budget, party size and chalet requirements, and the resorts that looked most suitable are a no go. There is a place in Meribel that fits the bill, though. Is anyone here familair with the resort or know how it fares for beginners?
snow conditions
howie, Meribel would be OK, though it's not ideal for near beginners, and some accommodation is a hike from the lifts. But it does have some very good ski schools - and you should try to budget for some good lessons.

In budget terms, anywhere in the 3 Valleys will be expensive - there are loads of cheaper resorts. In fact practically every resort in the Alps (including the vast majority of French ones) will be cheaper.

Sounds as though you might need to compromise something. What's your party size? Why is it so difficult to find accommodation to suit? What dates are you looking at?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
One possibility if your budget is not too tight is Simon Butler skiing in Megeve - they have kind of "built in" ski lessons which makes the organisation hugely easier. Megeve is a sophisticated resort (much more French than Val D'Isere) with loads of gentle skiing.

Just to be clear on one point: the SBS package itself is remarkably good value; it's just that Megève is an expensive place to be. If you're prepared to take a packed lunch and are not lured into the shops, you can get by without breaking the bank.

[long-time SBS customer]
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
howie, Meribel would be OK, though it's not ideal for near beginners,

Surely if you stay up near the altiport, with the nusery, beginer area there and with the nice easy greens down past the altiport and down to villages then I would think it's not a bad beginner spot.. not cheap though...
latest report
bertie bassett, you may well be right. I don't know it very well but last time I skied down to the centre bit it was a rather scary mix of daftness, piste crossings, end of day bumps, some icy snow (often a bit of a problem as meribel is quite low) and some rather out of control and erratic beginners. Mottaret is better. We also found, throughout the valley, with a couple of nervous beginners, that some of the supposedly easy slopes had some hard bits, which freaked them out. And the best areas (e.g. Mont Vallon) are probably beyond the reach of this group. Just a bit pointless really, going for the expense and crowds of the 3 Valleys, unless you can make good use of the amazing amount of terrain available.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy