Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes 23rd April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

I was looking at going to UCPA for a week on the 23rd April. What will the skiing conditions be like normally at this time of year? Will the resort be very quiet? I have skied twice before and can handle blue runs, wouldn't be that confident a skier though.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Sonny11ie
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sonny11ie I've been to Tignes/Val D'Isere on the May Day weekend for the past 4 or 5 years. There has always been at least 50% of the ski area open and it has always been possible to ski back to both resorts.

Lower down will be soft, turning mushy as the day progresses but higher up will be more wintry conditions. We've had powder at altitude on two of the trips. Having said that, take plenty of sun cream 'cos you can be burnt alive at that time of year.

This season has been horror tales of 'no snow' in France but the reports on here from Tignes seem to tell a different story. The webcams don't look too bad either: http://www.tignes.net/fr/ski-a-tignes/webcams-290.html

On piste it's usually very quiet - more like deserted. No lift queues and some whole runs to yourself! There's a good variety of blue runs at Espace Killy. Under full snow cover you can cover every sector of the area on blue runs, though that late in the season some will be closed. There should still be plenty for you to go at though. The Grand Motte glacier at Tignes and the one above Le Fornet at Val D'Isere both have some nice, not too steep, cruising runs, where the snow will be good.

Go on! GO FOR IT! You know it makes sense wink !
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was skiing in Tignes yesterday - lots of snow on most of the pistes (certainly better than paradiski where we are based).
Pattern seems to be established in present weather; ice and neve first thing, passing through softer as the sun gets going and becoming slush on the lower slopes later. Hardly any queues, very hot sun - need to factor 40 to not become a crispy-critter.

Am sure you'll have a great time.

Ian Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sonny11ie, be careful - 30c in Moutiers today apparently, and tignes is not immune to an early summer. Skiing may be very limited by then..

Depending on your financial situation it might be better to wait until next year

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 12-04-11 7:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back. Espace Killy has 300km of runs. I'd guess that 5% are currently closed. And fewer than 50% are slushy in the afternoon. So that only leaves you 150km. It sounds as though you're the sort of skier who would be happy with maybe 10km of skiing a day - or less. More snow and sensible temperatures forecast for this week. Go for it. My second-ever week was Tignes the end of November when only the glacier and Double M were open. Plenty of skiing at your level.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dude

I'd avoid coming to be fair - been here (Val) since Feb, and conditions are, to be fair pretty darned dire in most of Espace Killy. My esteemed colleague to my left has said "It's a crock of poo-poo - you need to be done by 11AM".

Motte has been quite nice, but honestly a week of Motte wouldn't justify the expense and effort of coming.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sonny11ie, I think people are being unrealistically optimistic, I'd wait til next year, most [locals] are saying worst season in years, and ain't likely to get much better now.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I think people are being unrealistically optimistic

Quote:

I'd wait til next year

Shocked Shocked

What?? Puzzled

Only 150km of piste open!! I appreciate that (semi) seasonnaires like fids, might think conditions are dodgy but surely the majority of the less fortunate among us would consider a week's skiing in the Espace Killy to be something worth doing!

Like mountainaddict, we have skiied the last 4 May Day holiday weekends (in Espace Killy or Val Thorens) and had a fantastic time without fail. Yes, we encountered hardpacked pistes on a morning, giving way to great snow mid morning and then slushy slopes lower down later. But give me giant slush bumps every time to the hardpack/icy conditions we encountered in January this year Toofy Grin

I certainly wouldn't be waiting until next year! (Then again, maybe it's me,Ian Kenvyn and mountainaddict who are in a minority - in that my experience of deserted slopes in May has led me to believe that the majority would rather join the other hordes on piste over New Year and fight their way down crowded runs on dodgy - skiied off/scraped - snow.... Then again, long may my deserted slopes experience continue Very Happy)

Like James the Last, says,
Quote:

Just back. Espace Killy has 300km of runs. I'd guess that 5% are currently closed. And fewer than 50% are slushy in the afternoon. So that only leaves you 150km....

Bring it on!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been saying for years that I must head out for the May Day b/h.....never got round to it though rolling eyes

That said not sure I'd go for it this season for the first time!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Crappy double dose of UK bank holiday misery or sunny slushy snow and a few beers in the alpaca
"which would you choose"

Obviously it's going to be a bit of a lottery sonny11ie, But go for it anythings better than a street party Shock
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sonny11ie, have you considered the eosb? similar kind of height, lessons and guiding available and a ready made party atmosphere
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fids wrote:
Dude

I'd avoid coming to be fair - been here (Val) since Feb, and conditions are, to be fair pretty darned dire in most of Espace Killy. My esteemed colleague to my left has said "It's a crock of poo-poo - you need to be done by 11AM".

Motte has been quite nice, but honestly a week of Motte wouldn't justify the expense and effort of coming.

What a load of rubbish.

OP is a near-beginner. A week of Grand Motte would be well worth his while if he wants to go skiing at this stage of the season. (I should add I spent my second-ever week on the GM in November.) And if he manages to ski the first couple of hours of the day (i.e. by the 11am when you say it's all rubbish) then that opens up hundreds of additional miles of skiing for the first couple of hours of the day.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 12-04-11 12:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sonny11ie, as you can see you've split SH community on this one! Don't know how late you can leave it but I personally wouldn't be booking anything unless there is a good final dump or the temps drop. Having looked at whats open it looks worth it today, but 2 weeks at this point in this season (a poor snow season) its a gamble.

If your not squeezing the bank account go for it (I've been on a couple of boarding holidays and got no slope time, its not so bad afterall its still a break from the norm), if its tight save and put the money away to ensure at least 2 trips nrxt year!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy