Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What does inside of an avalanche look like?

Poster: A snowHead
This guys knows and so now do we

http://youtube.com/v/0pSBUXFJXiY&feature=player_embedded#at=309

Looking more & more like an ABS type pack will become an essential part of offpiste kit?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i would've thought some proper mountaincraft would be a more essential investment, and even more importantly, the sense to back out or not get there at all after your mountaincraft tells you so. Seems a bit stupid to drop in after he apparently knew it could be dodgy given the terrain and conditions. natural selection musta been on lunch

BUT i'm sure all vids like that will do is boost sales of airbag packs rolling eyes

(and a cracking war story for the pub and internet Laughing )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, Thanks for posting. Some lessons in that for us all.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What an interesting film from a lucky guy, I watched the whole lot, I think it would do no harm for it to be one those made a 'sticky' as I think it could be a useful reminder from time to time that the mountain only tolerates us when it wants to. If it saves the life of one off-piste skier it would be a good thing and I think it could - the chap has done a brilliant job with the video his camera took hasn't he?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 8-04-11 21:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been thinking about buying one as I seem to spend more time off than on piste these days.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
barry, My take is the guy acknowledges he screwed up bigtime but the airbag was possibly his winning lottery ticket. It wasn't a magic halo as he still had spinal injuries but at least he was breathing.

Nutty taking that on without spotters though at fullbore.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
good job Norbert!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for posting fatbob. Great video.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks fatbob. To my mind his biggest crime was what he mentions from 7:40-8:00 - those small slides the previous day were not just local sluffs under his skis but were extending for 10s of metres around him. I think he was lucky not to be taken out the previous day. In those conditions taking that line (which is knows as very exposed) was madness - even though he's clearly a very competent skier.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ya fair dinkum fatbob, we've all made the occasional bad choice so no harm to the dude, glad he made it out.
I guess though there's a coupla ways to view those packs - "I'm getting one cos sometimes i just cant resist/dont know any better and these things keep you safe", or "I aint getting one cos I know where and when I'm going and have the skills and the sense to bow out or change my plans & skip along in low angle stuff when the risk is up".
In providing you an extra bit of safety, I'd be all for ABS but if making you braver than your ability and sense can handle then not so much (and the general vibe of the discussions I've seen on these things tends to the latter I'm afraid). Wonder what sales are like for them actually?

Pretty sturdy helmet cam though eh?! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There was a thread on TGR a year or 2 back where a very experienced backcountry skier (as in probably more than any of us could hope to aspire to) tells of his party being caught in a slide. Again he acknowledged screw ups (and complacency because it was a very familiar area to him) but there was also a view that sooner or later with enough days exposure, law of averages says even the most careful can be caught out. I'd like to think this would be the reason for purchase, not to do more stupid stuff. If having a transceiver is now seen as an essential why not an airbag, at the very least it gives the rescue services the chance of finding your corpse near the surface and not 15ft down. I don't have one yet but I'm coming round to the concept.

The risk aversion/compensation argument is trotted out for all safety equipment and I'm just not sure it is measurable.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN wrote:
Thanks fatbob. To my mind his biggest crime was what he mentions from 7:40-8:00 - those small slides the previous day were not just local sluffs under his skis but were extending for 10s of metres around him. I think he was lucky not to be taken out the previous day. In those conditions taking that line (which is knows as very exposed) was madness - even though he's clearly a very competent skier.

Ding. Ding.

Looks like the guy has learned a valuable lesson. No way would I have skied that line having seen the amount of marbling / fractures on the previous runs.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
not sure of the sooner or later arguement - daily avvy forecasters, MRTs, international guides etc probably at the low end of the curve of numbers of people caught out?? if so why is that?!

interesting to compare the relative merits of the avalung gizmo's too (i guess both might be the ultimate!)

(this is like the thinking man's helmet debate!)

stay safe out there kids Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:
sooner or later with enough days exposure, law of averages says even the most careful can be caught out.

^^^ wise words
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm interested, at what point do you become committed to skiing something that might be better left alone. Would this guy have reached that place, either on the day of the film or the previous day when the smaller falls occurred and then have been committed to finding some way down it regardless of the snow conditions, i.e. could he have backed out and found a safer route, or maybe skied that face in a way that would have been safer. I get the notion that maybe paying attention to warnings he might have been better not going anywhere near the area, but once there was he committed to having to get down it? How many options do you off-piste folks have when it comes to making your decisions on what to ski and what not to ski?

I hope you see what I'm getting at.
ski holidays
GrahamN wrote:

Those slides weren't the previous day, they were on the same day!!

He was nuts, plain and simple. As he makes plain, it's not that he didn't have enough knowledge or understanding about slides - he didn't learn any book smarts that day - he just ignored what he knew. He got sucked into the just do it mentality that a lot of these guys have. Most are just lucky and get to brag about their lines after...some aren't. You got kids?

Seems to me from his reflections on what went down and his making this great video (thanks for posting fatbob) his attitude will have changed and in my book, rather than an airbag, that's the big thing that's needed to survive.
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:
Those slides weren't the previous day, they were on the same day!!

Ahh, correct - I'd misread that caption as "In runs the previous day" Embarassed rather than "In the previous runs that day"
snow report
Megamum, if he was where I think he was, that run is accessed by doing a bootpack of between 5 and 20mins and then some traversing. it wouldn't have been that difficult to get back to something safe if he'd decided he didn't fancy it
latest report
And another one

Raw Footage - edit to follow from Jeff Wyshynski
http://www.vimeo.com/22250873

Most of the action is in the first minute

TGR maggot Stuntcok describes it here

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/220005-My-Avalanche-Experience-Helmet-Cam-Footage-and-Commentary-on-Emergency-Gear

Worth a fast forward to 7.00 or 10.00 to see who put the Bent in Bentchetler.

Besides airbags these things are a pretty good advert for GoPros
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy