Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dare I say Helmet debate?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
jirac18 wrote:
laundryman wrote:
jirac18 wrote:
I have a wife and two young children and I think it would be sad affair if I returned from skiing with a brain injury or didn't return at all because I didn't wear my helmet.

And if you didn't return from crossing the road without a helmet?

Well when I cross the road I make sure I follow the Green Cross Code....if I didn't and just strode outr without looking either way it would be as irresponsible as skiing without a helmet!!

OK. So, by that logic, skiers who follow the FIS code don't need a helmet.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
laundryman, you forgot to add "!!" to the end of your statement!! It makes the point so much more emphatically and therefore seals the argument!! You should try it!!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 19-05-11 9:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
user

every doctor we spoke to from the first aid room to pinderfields said had he been wearing a helmet he would have been ok, for two reasons, firstly his head would have skidded as opposed to digging into the snow and secondly absorbing the impact that waas enough to break a vertabrae and displace two more.

I dont beleive a word of this, the helmet would have made the head bigger and exerted even more leverage on the neck, also the type of impact ie a relatively soft one but with the whole weight of the body behind it, a helmet is designed to absorb sharp impacts such as the head hitting something hard. an analogy would be that a bullet proof vest will stop a bullet at whatever speed a bullet travels at but will be of no use against a train at 40mph

If you read properly he landed straight on his head, it makes sense to me. Do as you like i dont care if you wear a helmet or not, Just saying i do for the reasons stated, But if your all invincible and such good skiers there is no need to worry.
Also bearing in mind all the helmets that are out there, there are an awful lot of potential cannonballs to get tangled up with in a crash
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's great how these helmet threads go over the same ground again and again and again. Anyway, to add to the general pointlessness of the thread-

I'm relaxed about the whole thing. I bought a helmet this season. I've worn it for three of the seven days skiing I've managed since the purchase.

I believe that wearing a helmet is likely to reduce the severity of a head injury obtained while skiing. It therefore seems obvious that I should use the helmet whenever I'm skiing. I worry however about where this logic takes us. All human life is inherently risky. As I sit at my desk typing this my chair could collapse, this could cause me to fall backwards against the brick wall behind me. If this happens I could sustain a head injury, which could be mitigated if I wore a helmet. Does this mean I should wear a helmet in the office? More seriously, what about other activites that carry a risk of potential head injury. Mountain bikers routinely wear helmets; why don't fell runners? Helemet wearing is normal in motor sports, but not for other car driving.

Clearly a line has to be drawn somewhere, otherwise we all be wearing helmets all of the time. Currently recreational skiing is on the cusp of the debate. It will be interesting seeing where the debate moves in the future.

In the meantime I wil continue to decide whether or not to wear my helmet while skiing on the utterly irrational basis of how I feel each morning. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spud9, I'm going to have to ask moderators to delete your contributions (plus those of a few others) for the cardinal sin of being reasonable on a helmet thread.

(I still don't think anyone has beaten my irrationality of wearing a helmet when skiing, but not when cycling or mountainbiking).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Spud9 wrote:
More seriously, what about other activites that carry a risk of potential head injury. Mountain bikers routinely wear helmets; why don't fell runners? Helemet wearing is normal in motor sports, but not for other car driving.

It's just a balance between degree of risk and convenience. It would be pretty inconvenient to wear a helmet while driving to the shops and the risk of injury is pretty low. So nobody wears a helmet for day to day driving. But as a sidenote to this I wouldn't entertain driving around in say an old Mini as they are death traps in a crash. So I mitigate my risk of injury by driving a modern car with all its associated active and passive safety features. It's also pretty inconvenient to wear a helmet while motor racing, but the risk of a crash is much higher and so helmets are compulsory.

Not sure about fell running, I have no experience of it but I presume they don't land on their heads too often otherwise I'm sure they would wear helmets. I am however a keen mountain biker (XC and DH) and falling off is part and parcel of the sport and a helmet is definitely a good investment there.

As you rightly say, recreational skiing is right on the cusp of that balance between risk and convenience. From personal experience I don't think the risk of head injury is anywhere near as high as for mountain biking, but as I personally find ski helmets warm and comfortable it's still an easy decision for me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
horizon wrote:

(I still don't think anyone has beaten my irrationality of wearing a helmet when skiing, but not when cycling or mountainbiking).

No, that's quite a good effort! Is it because you are wearing a ski helmet entirely for it's comfort/fashion accessory without any regard to the safety aspect?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spud9 wrote:
Helmet wearing is normal in motor sport

It would be more accurate to say helmet use is mandatory in all motorsport speed events. Vehicle injuries are caused by either intrusion into the passenger space, or the impact between the moving body and the decelerating vehicle. In a race prepared vehicle, those risks are mitigated by the roll cage and full harness (preventing intrusion and decelerating the body at similar rate to the vehicle). The helmet is primarily to protect the head from impact with the roll cage.

Were is not for an unforgiving bar a few cms to the right of my head, I'd be far safer than in a road vehicle and perhaps not need a helmet!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have worn a helmet for 3 seasons. I simply started as it seemed crazy I was telling the kids to put on their helmets and then did not have one for myself. Their head is more squashy or some such blah blah?! Didnt really seem rational to me but lack of oxygen up a mountain messes with my brain.
2 seasons on and skiing with a group recently and all 6 were wearing a helmet. I find it more comfortable and easier to control temperature than a hat and the odd clonk from a ski lift bar reminds me it is handy.
Is it safe? I dont think I want to find out but there is no way my teenager is taking to the slopes without a helmet when I'm around so I wear one too. snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON, are you sure you haven't already suffered a head injury but haven't realised? You attitude of "it hasn't happend yet so it won't happen" is as illogical as it is idiotic. What do all first time accident people have in common? Yes, that's right, they haven't had an accident before.

Check for bumps mate.

calm down dear. lots of thing 'might' happen.. i havnt shat my pants on the slopes yet either despite the best efforts of wiessbier but ill skip on wearing a nappy .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
uktrailmonster wrote:
horizon wrote:

No, that's quite a good effort! Is it because you are wearing a ski helmet entirely for it's comfort/fashion accessory without any regard to the safety aspect?

No, not at all. Just because my mountainbiking is VERY light whereas my skiing is more committed, and I don't do a lot of cycling in town so I still haven't switched to a more safety-minded attitude (grew up not wearing a helmet, yadda yadda). And all that is despite having a cycling friend who was hit by a car and reckons the helmet got him through with minimal damage only (short blackout).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
horizon wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
horizon wrote:

No, not at all. Just because my mountainbiking is VERY light whereas my skiing is more committed, and I don't do a lot of cycling in town so I still haven't switched to a more safety-minded attitude (grew up not wearing a helmet, yadda yadda). And all that is despite having a cycling friend who was hit by a car and reckons the helmet got him through with minimal damage only (short blackout).

Thanks for the insight. I wear a helmet for both skiing and mountain biking but if I had to choose only 1 it would be the mountain bike helmet for sure. But I'm a better skier than mountain biker and do tend to get involved in the gnarly side of mountain biking.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
horizon wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
horizon wrote:

Pretty much exactly the same for me (although I don't do any MTB). I wear a helmet free-skiing because it saves on bumps and scrapes, rather that for any worries about major trauma - and I got used to it when I started slalom racing, where it saves me a substantial knock on the nut at least once a session. In 40 years of commuter cycling I've fallen off a few times (taking evasive action to avoid being hit, and a couple of times being too drunk Embarassed ), and scraped/hit elbows/ankles etc., but have never once hit my head.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy