Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Esprit Next season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am considering going skiing next season again with Esprit.

If we go it will be flying out on the 16th Dec, and it needs to be as cheap as possible (I have to go through the finances with a fine toothcombe to see if we can actually do it), so I am looking for the cheapest option with 2 rooms interconnecting for that week, but the most likely to be snow sure.

I am down to:

Chalet Bordeax in Les Arcs.
Chalet Olympus in Les Arcs
Chalet Hotel Ducs de Savoie in Val d'Isere
Chalet Hotel Mariandre Alpe d'Huez

Has anybody stayed in these? Can they comment on them? Thanks

I was considering their Chamonix accomodation but that is showing any prices for next season, are they not running it next year?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NickyJ, I have seen their Chamonix hotel in another TO brochure, possibly Inghams so I guess they are not running it next year.

If you need a cheaper option for that week suggest you look at Neilson's Hotel Aalborg with full childcare options, very good.

Re. the Mariandre in Alpe d'Huez it used to be a Mark Warner property, I'm not sure it is that well placed in the resort, I would be concerned about a lot of schlepping to and from there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you can't fault the ducs in val , cheap , cheerful and located just across the roundabout in the town just down from the main solaise lifts, would go back there in a heartbeat and there's nowhere better than val d'isere for skiing .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks gad, any comment on their rooms?

Val D'Isere is on my list of places I really want to go. Haven't done there yet. Just realised the 8th Jan is a lot lot cheaper. Trouble is that will mean taking Ellie out of school after having gone back for just 4 days. At least the last week before christmas they won't be doing much. On the other hand she will only be 5, so not as if she is sitting any major exams or anything.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickyJ wrote:
Thanks gad, any comment on their rooms?

Val D'Isere is on my list of places I really want to go. Haven't done there yet. Just realised the 8th Jan is a lot lot cheaper. Trouble is that will mean taking Ellie out of school after having gone back for just 4 days. At least the last week before christmas they won't be doing much. On the other hand she will only be 5, so not as if she is sitting any major exams or anything.

the chalet itself is a little dated and so is the room with it's wooden panelling but it's france and it's val d'isere and unless you're paying big bucks you're only going to get basic accomodation there and with the ducs being a fully catered chalet it's a winner , a thing to remember is when we were there in '09 a takeaway pizza was 20 quid , a ham sandwich wrapped in cellophane in spar was a fiver and an 800 gramme toblerone was 12.40 Shocked

so staying there i'd say the food is decent , the room was ok , the location and esprit are brilliant so i would recommend it , no problem.

only thing i would say to you with young kids is the transfer is around 4 hours so prepare and also " the val d'isere bug" is rife so take the medicine cabinet with you and take your vitamins a month or two before you go , hope this helps.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm thanks. I was intending on flying from Southampton to Chambery again, they reckon this is 2hrs transfer, and Southampton is only a 30min drive from our house.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if you fly to chambery then it is 2 hours however we flew to geneva with esprit and that was 4 , but val d'isere itself is fantastic , you really have to go and experience it Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickyJ, if you can reconcile yourself to the school problem, going in January would be a much better idea. Quieter, as well as a lot cheaper. Just be aware that Chambery airport is subject to weather problems - always the risk of a diversion. I too love Southampton airport snowHead . Chambery can be brilliant too, preferably on a weekday though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, that was the week we alway used to go BC (before children) Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah wrote:
NickyJ, I have seen their Chamonix hotel in another TO brochure, possibly Inghams so I guess they are not running it next year.

If you need a cheaper option for that week suggest you look at Neilson's Hotel Aalborg with full childcare options, very good.

Re. the Mariandre in Alpe d'Huez it used to be a Mark Warner property, I'm not sure it is that well placed in the resort, I would be concerned about a lot of schlepping to and from there.

Sarah - I'm looking at the Mariandre for next year, brochure makes it look quite nice but is the position not as good as it seems - not really into to much "schlepping" - how far is it from the main lifts please.

Also Sapienere (sp) is still in their preview brochure - not that is a definitive thing - nearly booked the Terrill Blanc but when I got the main brochure it had gone!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ADH only from Birmingham Crying or Very sad was after a Manchester flight - plan B is probably Meribel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah, Sapiniere's going to be an Inghams Chalet hotel for the summer so that's possibly where you saw it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Esprit not having any chalet in Chamonix next season, thats what they told me in La Plagne when we were there last month.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy