Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How fast do you think you ski on piste?

Poster: A snowHead
@dsoutar,
Quote:

The main thing I find to remember that standing up from a tuck quickly at high speed can be a nasty surprise given the sudden increase in wind resistance

Thank goodness for the wind resistance. At those speeds I find it the safest (only) way to slow down to a speed at which I can start to put in proper turns.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@foxtrotzulu,

Yes, it's a very effective brake!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
109kmh on Sasslong B, Selva according to Skitracks. Took a right hander at speed to get a slingshot into straight. Not bad for two old fellas, 49 and 52. wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Double post.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My daughter exceeded 150km/h this year. That was cool.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hyperkub wrote:
My daughter exceeded 150km/h this year. That was cool.

How? That's 93mph, Vonn doesn't get above 80mph.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is that 75km/h per ski?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
She races in speedski in the FIS S2 category.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hyperkub wrote:
She races in speedski in the FIS S2 category.

Ah, OK. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jean claude mont blanc wrote:
Where is the speed trap in Tignes ?

I as a this post and couldn't help but think of the film line:

"What color is the boat house at Hereford?"
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@foxtrotzulu,
Quote:

Thank goodness for the wind resistance. At those speeds I find it the safest (only) way to slow down to a speed at which I can start to put in proper turns.

Surely then, by definition, you are skiing too fast for safety?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name,
Quote:

Surely then, by definition, you are skiing too fast for safety?

Six months for a reply? You're slipping!

Anyway, to answer your point .... not necessarily. I'd argue that the definition of a safe speed is being able to slow down in sufficient time to avoid hazards. If you have a smooth straight run with great visibility and no crossing pistes, blind spots etc. from which another skier could conceivably emerge then the safe speed might be much higher. Obviously we are talking about safe speeds in the context of what is safe for other mountain users, not me. In the same way, when Andy Green blasted across the Nevada Desert at 763mph he was travelling a safe speed as far as other people were concerned - because there was nobody anywhere near him.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@foxtrotzulu, ah, fair points. Although you ignore the possibility of e.g. @shep missing his attempted cliff jump landing (he does these often) and materialising, Jodie Whittaker stylee, in front of you giving you no time to get the air brakes up.

In fairness, in that juncture, blame, and body parts, might be difficult to apportion... Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs wrote:
The male race formula for tech events is to set them to your weight in stone,.

Ok, where do I get binding that go up to DIN17, Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
82KMH boarding on a badly cut up blue run at Breckenridge one afternoon - at 49 yr old, 17 stone, riding a 16 year old Palmer Carbon Circle.

Would have been a canny clatter if I had crashed Very Happy
latest report
Some day I am going to have to set up a speed trap on a steep clear viewed black and see what speeds people do reach. The timed gates are fairly flattish and many folk can hit 70kph on those. I have an uncalibrated laser rangefinder with a moving object speed function that should be accurate to 5%, that might be fun to trial.
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
rjs wrote:
The male race formula for tech events is to set them to your weight in stone,.

Ok, where do I get binding that go up to DIN17, Very Happy

Erm, that'll be in the race department of a ski shop... Toofy Grin
https://www.skibartlett.com/ski-equipment-c1/ski-bindings-c8/race-bindings-c122
(Not suggesting you actually should though!)
snow report
@Scarpa, I assume its a visible laser and you'll be aiming it at their hearts.
That should get the buggers putting some turns in sharpish Very Happy
snow conditions
@Tubaski, Laughing Laughing Laughing It'll be like a James Bond scene. It's got a 500m range, actually a shooting one, the viewfinder has cross hairs Twisted Evil
snow report
According to ski tracks I managed 58.2mph last year on my telemark skis.......without releasable bindings. probably a bit irresponsible.

Most of the time however i ski really quite slowly doing short swings right down the fall line.

I’d be dead by now if I’d continued downhill skiing using carving kit. It’s far too fast Twisted Evil
ski holidays
I could always borrow a pair of my friends FIS Super G skis, but I've been warned I'd probably blow a knee trying to turn them Shocked
ski holidays
Did 52kph in Tignes in March, god knows how, I'm rubbish!
latest report
84kph/53mph down a gentle rolling blue run in StG at end of a beautiful day last year.
Don’t think I fancy much faster
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
84kph/53mph down a gentle rolling blue run in StG at end of a beautiful day last year.
Don’t think I fancy much faster.
I should add it was on one of those runs that you can see the whole piste in front of you before you go & I made sure it was empty.
snow report
Do they still have the Flying Kilometre in Les Arcs??
snow conditions
@stephen buck, No. It's closure was a result of some tragic deaths. Marco, then Cait - see: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=607728
latest report
@Arctic Roll, Thanks - not totally surprised - I remember being pretty scared just ski-ing normally down the steep black mogulfield alongside it.

Is speed ski-ing still a sport elsewhere, or did those accidents knock it on the head? Seem to recall it was being considered for the Winter Olympics some time ago, and we had a chap who could have been in with a chance of a medal...
latest report
@stephen buck, still a sport, there’s a piece in Fall Line magazine from a guy that had a bit of an injury and is now a coach on the British team. Interesting dude but clearly mental.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stephen buck, I remember standing at the side of the Flying K hearing the noise like a fighter plane approaching Toofy Grin
snow report
62 mph and 62 years old. I used an
iPhone local resort tracking device. It’s ironic how effortless it is compared to turning. You have to find perfect conditions and no other skiers. I did a black run on a late spring day at high noon. A few hours earlier it would have been too icy and much after noon it would have been dangerously slushee.
Looking forward to 63.
snow report
I used to carry a similar, maybe the same? device Ghost speaks of. Called a G-Trek. About matchbox size. In season 2008/9 it recorded 97.5 KMH. So i Put 100 KPH on my bucket list. In season 2009/10 I had a bit of a mishap that put me in hospital for 6 weeks. Many bits broken, punctured lungs, loss of over 3 litres blood. Didn't stop me getting back in season 2010/11. Came back one day to the hotel I managed, downloaded the data and HEY, 101.65 KMH. Didn't even know I did it till I saw the data. Don't let a mere thing like a near death experience slow you down!
latest report
I think when I hit 70 I’ll switch to kilometers.
Sorry you got hurt. My app is the Sierratahoe app.
Horsetail a groomed black run.
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
I could always borrow a pair of my friends FIS Super G skis, but I've been warned I'd probably blow a knee trying to turn them Shocked

Nah. They're very skiable*

(*oddly, for full bore FIS things, as that's all (I believe) that exist ... there's quite the difference between e.g. my Völkl 203s which are immensely skiable and really quite lovely and bizarrely forgiving, and my chums Nordica 210s which are as close to "suicidal" as I've ever skied (including quite a few DHs) ... Shocked )
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
... I remember standing at the side of the Flying K hearing the noise like a fighter plane approaching ..
I photographed a few speed races, including some where records were set.

The sort of people who carry gps based speed measuring devices and think they can get even close to
those speeds on public piste (!) clearly have no comprehension of what's involved. Fools.
ski holidays
@philwig, Well I was watching approx 135mph runs (216kph) and it is a whole other ball park. I have tried the odd app and they generally seem pretty accurate but can have the odd fluctuation. I got 90kph on a WC GS run in good condition with no one else on it on 104mm all mountain skis and on the speed traps which are a fair bit slower I hit the high 70s. Even at those fairly low speeds you still get a good bit of air on the rollers and you are pulling a lot of force on the turns. I could possibly go a lot faster on the race skis but I think that my legs would simply crumple hitting the bends. I do not train enough to cope with being able to ski turns at high speed even though I usually manage about 90 ski days a year and am fairly fit. The other day I saw Michael Walchhofer skiing on a normal day at Zauch on the same GS run I did and he was just tucking in on the big roller and clearing about 25 to 30 metres and looking like he was taking it easy Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy