Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA Resort With Alpine Feel

Poster: A snowHead
Where would you recommend? Whenever you look at a piste map of anywhere in the USA, it is like perfect lines down the face of a mountain, compaired to Europe where they sweep around the mountains. I love the alpine feel but not sure where to look at. It must have a good snow record as well. Im an intermediate skier who likes to clock up the mileage, where would you recommend?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ricklovesthepowder, nearest I've got to it is Arapahoe Basin. Not recommending it just saying it feels more alpine than the others.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Im an intermediate skier who likes to clock up the mileage, where would you recommend?

Stay in Europe.

And I'm serious.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^ This.

Things US resorts are bad for : mile after mile of groomed cruisers, sustained vert, big mountain skiing, lots of skiing above tree line, (often) skiing beyond the boundary

Things they are good for: Avy controlled and patrolled inbounds off-piste, tree runs, short minigolf lines, watching the locals huck anything in sight, organised and disciplined lift lines, (at times) fresh snow
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
He said
Quote:

Im an intermediate skier who likes to clock up the mileage
and he wants to try America (stick to the brief FFS). You can certainly do that in Vail, Park City or maybe somewhere with more vertical like Big Sky.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller, cheers, I will check them out. What's whistler like or lake tahoe
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder, Whistler's north of the border but is probably the most European in feel and size. Anything owned by Vail Resorts (including Heavenly and Northstar at Tahoe now) tend to conform to a basic spec of lots of intermediate groomers but you can ski one end to the other of any resort in not much more than 3 or 4 lifts. Tahoe or Summit County Colorado give you options of skiing lots of different places on different days Aspen too maybe. Just don't expect anything like 3 valleys, Sella Ronda etc etc/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Just don't expect anything like 3 valleys, Sella Ronda etc etc/

Yeah, but with the altitude he'll be taking breathers more regularly anyway.

Quote:

lake tahoe

Ricklovesthepowder, yep, go for it - hire a truck and do a different place each day. Heavenly is v good, Northstar, Sierra, Squaw. Expect it to be different but, if your description of yourself is accurate, you'll love it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a look at Stowe. While the runs tend to be shorter than an average alpine resort the place still feels quite alpine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder, Lake Tahoe offers a whole range of ski areas close at hand to play in. Your not going to find the mileage of a large interconnected European mega resort, but there is plenty of intermediate terrain around - even at the places with a more gnarly reputation like Kirkwood (in fact Chair 10 is the only lift that doesn't have some cruisey blue graded groomers off).

What these resorts in that part of the world seem to do well is more advanced ski school / clinics aimed at helping experienced intermediates upwards advance. I'd definitely say if you go to somewhere like Tahoe, consider something like this and rather than just cruising about groomed terrain you feel comfortable on your own on, take some lessons or take part in some clinics and grasp an opportunity to broaden your horizons.

Heavenly is obviously right on your doorstep if you stay in South Lake Tahoe, but even without a car you can get to Kirkwood, Sierra at Tahoe and Squaw Valley which all have shuttle services from South Lake. If you hire a car you can also get to Northstar at Tahoe, Alpine Meadows, Homewood, Mt Rose, Sugar Bowl, Diamond Peak.

Heavenly offers 3,500ft of vertical and if you wish you can do it all from the top of Sky Express at 10,040ft to the California Lodge base entirely on blue or easier groomers.

One thing though is it's a different model of snowsports to that of the mainstream European model with clearly defined on and off-piste. It's in bounds and out of bounds and you can expect trail marking to be a bit 'Scottish' at times! Laughing

Not sure how long you'd have to holiday, but I'd def stay close to where you fly into for the first night - give yourself a chance to recover from the flight and adjust to the time zone, before resuming your journey to the mountains. It is a long journey - keep that in mind, but one that imho is absolutely worth it. If you went to Tahoe, I'd highly recommend also spending at least a few days if not more in San Francisco.

As for snow record, well Kirkwood is past the 700" mark for the season (yes that is almost 18m!).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As a genuine question to one of the above points, what is the attraction of sustained huge verticals? I doubt most people ski a fraction of the potential vertical without stopping, thus I've always seen huge vertical ranges to be something of a pain in the backside due to you dropping through various climate zones - to survive at the top, your dying of heat exhaustion at the bottom - unless of course you stop to shed hat, layers, jacket etc as you ski down - which surely negates the need for huge sustained vertical in the first place?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:
He said
Quote:

Im an intermediate skier who likes to clock up the mileage
and he wants to try America (stick to the brief FFS). You can certainly do that in Vail, Park City or maybe somewhere with more vertical like Big Sky.

Vail is the largest resort in the US. But it's still a far cry from 3 Valleys or the Sella Ronda.

It's all well and fine to try North America (since Whistler is in Canada). But better change the expectation!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc, you can only ski one run at a time. You might be forgetting as well that us Brits fly over, are waking up at 3am, breakfasting at 6 and waiting around for the first lift - there's tons of time to drive to other places and take in more resorts. For most it's new, it's different and a welcome change to yawn yawn rip-off samey mega resorts. Plenty of skiing in places like Summit County or Tahoe for a week or more.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow cheers for the help and info guys. Just fancy doing USA again after my killington trip was good, but I want to go to the Rockies and try over there. Due to the massive snowfalls as well, may finally get to ski some proper powder and off piste, will do lessons though. The lake tahoe option with a car sounds good, may also look into the resorts around Denver, there is loads around there if I remember correctly?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller wrote:
abc, you can only ski one run at a time.
Plenty of skiing in places like Summit County or Tahoe for a week or more.

I'm based in the US. So I'm the last one to say there's not enough skiing in our hills. But there's a very different mode of skiing and thus the call for a different expectation.

Seeing the OP's last post (I'm guessing he found Killington lacking in "alpine feel"), I'd say he's looking for the wrong thing when searching north America resorts.

Resorts like Breckenridge has plenty of variety. But miles upon miles of cruising it doesn't have!

Most of us NA skiers are perfectly happy to ski down the very same trail 5 times, each time taking a different LINE, were it different arrangement of bumps, fresh powder, or just different angle of how the slope tilt off-chamber. And plenty of us are not beneath bashing the same mogul field or the same patch of woods for hours! For us, a small hill like Mad River Glen or Mt. Rose could easily keep us happy for a week. But I suspect the average milage hogging Brit's would be bored to tears by day 3!!!

Hence my suggestion of "change expectation".

Anyway, go through the ranking of "largest" resort in the US, it's Vail, Big Sky and I don't know the rest of it. If the OP likes to get a sense of "travel", The Canyon in Park City actually spans over 6 ridges (albeit very small ridges they are)! Nonetheless, it's a little different than many other resorts.
snow report
1. Whistler;
2. Vail.
snow conditions
[quote="Bode Swiller"]
Quote:

Heavenly is v good, Northstar, Sierra, Squaw.

What is good about Northstar?

abc wrote:

Seeing the OP's last post (I'm guessing he found Killington lacking in "alpine feel"), I'd say he's looking for the wrong thing when searching north America resorts.

Not quite sure you can categorise all North American resorts as one; quite a bit of a difference between east coast, west coast, and bits towards the middle-ish, US and Canada... Happy
Do agree though, one reason to go to N. America is to get away from endless motorway pistes and start to explore the whole mountain
snow conditions
aspen and snowmass is a great mix of all things
ski holidays
Another vote for Vail or Lake Tahoe
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
What is good about Northstar?

The park is genuinely world class. Lots of flat blue groomers. Ritz-Carlton is pretty swanky and has a pulse gondola like a very poor man's La Grave. Sustained constant pitch tree skiing on backside. Trees mean a good bet on storm days. Powder lasts longer cos the gnarlsters don't go there. Completely deserted mile long steepish groomers if you know where to go. Some nice bumps. Free lessons. You can laugh at blinged up bay area snowboarders falling off the rope tow. You can see Squaw. Bus/remote car parking sort of works - but trudge through village is still a pain in the ass.
ski holidays
Winterhighland wrote:

One thing though is it's a different model of snowsports to that of the mainstream European model with clearly defined on and off-piste. It's in bounds and out of bounds and you can expect trail marking to be a bit 'Scottish' at times! Laughing

I had a revelation at Kirkwood when I actually found a name board at the top of a chute this year. I'd always assumed names were some random secret code among locals except on a macro area basis - Palisades etc.

On the vert point - there's no doubt that short of skiing off the Whistler glaciers etc - its hard to replicate the European experience of covering 2 epic runs in a day plus its a bit annoying taking 2 long slow lifts for a single short lap of something like Thunder Saddle (even though on the flipside it preserves the snow). Everyone's different in what they like - personally combat skiing at the bottom of an otherwise great run sometimes take the shine off for me , others may see it as a fundamental part of the process.
ski holidays
abc,
Quote:

Vail is the largest resort in the US

Not true Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Bones, depends how you measure. This is pretty cool... http://media.intrawest.com/whistler/flash/trailmap/compare.html
snow report
Right, but biggest doesn't always mean best (I like to tell myself!).
In the US I really like Kirkwood and that isn't huge, and my favourite ski hill in BC isn't Whistler.
latest report
Rick - I disagree about your comments about Whistler but you and I are probably looking for different stuff.
I describe Whistler as magnificent monotony, theres something like a 7Km gondola takes you to the top, then you have to ski down 4Km to a hugely overcrowded cafeteria for a Choc Chaud .. if Val , or PdeS were like that I would have given up skiing 20 years ago!
If you are looking for a European feel then its going to be a smaller venue, like Park City(which is not SMALL small, or some of the other anonymous Utah or Colorado hills.
We've just come back from Aspen and got v. lucky with the end of season snow, and Aspen is comprised of 4 individual resorts. To a greater or lesser degree they display the sense of motorway cruising in each resort
Aspen village, probably the best known and although not the largest, probably offers best variety... also boasts the glitterati and the wannabies hanging about in the sun at the bottom of the home-slope.
SnowMass is where the most skiing lurks, but is a 35 minute Bus drive out of town. there are a few restaurants up the hills, and one , called Suzannes at top of the ELK chair is very Tignes or Alp Duez-ish great people watching plus the most salubrious gents toilets on any mountain.
Skiing has a good sprinkling of stiff black/Double Diamond runs, but you couldnt spend more than 3 days up Snowmass.

Thirsty
latest report
Thirsty wrote:

Skiing has a good sprinkling of stiff black/Double Diamond runs, but you couldnt spend more than 3 days up Snowmass.

I did. Wink

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 8-04-11 2:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thirsty,
You're kidding right? Of all the words that you could apply to Whistler, monotonous is surely not one that would immediately spring to mind.
If Whistler was anything like Val despair then I'd have given up skiing (skiing, rather than sitting around outside a quaint mountain restaurant being the key here!) years ago - and left the country (well not come over in the first place).
snow report
Stuarth - As I recognised with Rick " ... you and I are probably looking for different stuff"
and it was only my opinion.
Equally I respect your opinion on Whistler, as it appeals to you .... and yes you're spot on, I do enjoy sitting outside a mountain restaurant when I can, because I'm also on holiday. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stowe vermont has an Alpine feel, both the village and the mountain, but not a mega resort.
Cetainly has slopes winding round th mountains.
New Hampshire (and Maine) if you ae happy to ski a different place each day: Bretton Woods, Wildcat, Cannon, etc. but with maybe the exception of Bretton Woods, you'll need to base yourself in a village/town like Jackson, North Canway, etc.
snow report
Jackson Hole is your best bet for vertical and challenging terrain. A side trip (1 hour) to Grand Targhee for great powder and open skiing.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, Whistler is great. Direct flights, easy transfer, pedestrian village. Ok so it is a bit like disney in the mountains but I love it. Keep looking at other resorts in the American Continent but have not found something to compete on they criteria I use.

As the post above shows the area is immense and there is loads for intermediates like us. There is also loads of potty stuff too. There is a Ski Esprit thing that is reasonably cheap small groups that show you round the mountain and do a little teaching at the same time.
snow report
Looking at the thread title I can't help thinking of walking into a Pizzeria and ask for a chicken chow mein.

What's wrong with American's own charm in their skiing resorts? I quite like the chilli con carne with deer meat, extreme skiing terrain, skiing through trees and forest, people handing out free coffee on my way to a lift station, daily groom piste maps, skiing in private land labelled as Owner's skiways, 6 ot 7 queuing entrances to one chairlift, plenty of 3000m+ peaks and endless choices for lunch.

There are all parts of the experience, excitement and delight of skiing a foreign country, are they not?
snow report
Quote:

Stay in Europe.

And I'm serious.

Eh?!! Puzzled

We've skiied about 130 resorts (in fifteen or so countries) - including 35 resorts in the USA/Canada.

We love the Alps but we also love skiing across the pond. As Saikee says - all part of the experience and delight of skiing a foreign country.

What we particularly enjoy about the US and Canada (apart from the consistently good snow in the west) is the huge variety of terrain and the challenging (read "vertical" Shocked ) in bounds, marked terrain that's available - particularly the tree skiing and the chutes. To get similar experience in the Alps you have to hire a guide or take your life in your hands.

As Mrs B is a teacher it's also an absolute pleasure to ski deserted (yes empty!) runs at Half Term. At numerous places we we have been the only skiers in sight.

Our favourites (so far) have been Jackson Hole, Alta, Vail, Aspen, Whistler, Telluride, Crested Butte, Winter Park and Banff.

We're off to Winter Park next Feb (for the 3rd time) - great skiing and cheaper than going to Europe for Half Term! (i.e. flights from our local airport, resort transfer, bed and breakfast and season pass and change from £900 each wink ). It would be a shame not to go back!
snow report
So Bergmeister, which of those resorts would you considered with the most "alpine feel", as the OP requested?Wink

Or, which of your favorite Pizzeria has the best chicken chow mien?
latest report
abc,

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Come to think of it many American resorts have large food courts so you can have both pizza and chow mein at the same time.
snow report
abc, None of them!

All are very different to the Alps but all are worth a visit! Vive La difference!

Jackson Hole, Breckenridge, Whistler, Banff, Vail, Aspen and Telluride all have great villages with a lovely feel to them. None of them are very alpine however - but that does not detract from their different type of charm.

All have a great selection of dining options as well, at prices that won't break the bank! Very Happy
snow conditions
I suppose the lunch places are the feature that tells a resort similar to those in the Alps or not. After all a mountain is a mountain, a pine tree is a pine tree, snow is snow, chairlifts are 85% similar but fewer in between (the remaining 15% are American don't seem to go for bubble covers, heated seats and mega size cable cars, rotating cable cars etc).

The American resorts tend to have fewer but bigger restaurants serving a large variety of food. Those at the chairlift base stations can be huge and very well put together as small shopping centres of their own. They are modern so less Alpine feel. Cosy small chalets type restaurants, in the middle of nowhere, for expensive lunches with wine served by a waiter/waitress is what the Alpine resorts score. One does feel like in a factory production line in the American resort restaurants even the food can be top notch but then again many would regard they are still junk food.

Funny enough if the restaurants are old and run down, say those in Loveland, Arapahoe Basin, Smuggler Notch, they do look like those in the Alps.
latest report
Spent the new year just gone in Whitefish and I have to say it's probably the most enjoyable skiing holiday i've had in the 20 years I've been skiing. Doesn't compare with the volume of the big North American resorts but it had the alpine charm I associate with Europe without the queues for lifts. Can't wait to go back.
snow conditions
Whitefish is a great place with lovely people and some interesting terrain and good snowfall but I'd be pushing it to see the "alpine" charm. Town itself is pretty nice in an "old west" way but its remote from the hill, which seems populated by vanity mansions, condos with a notable lack of "village". I'd recommend it to anyone but would be realistic enough to appreciate that it's a tough sell to a European skier not least in transport connections.
ski holidays
Quote:

the most salubrious gents toilets on any mountain

Was "the bearded one" from Wham hanging around then.........??

Have read all the above with interest, North America is also on my radar but the lack of Alpine feel and also vert drop puts me off. The condo-style accom also puts me off, is it like staying in La Daille in Val D'Isere (not my idea of fun), also the 2 day trip to get there when the Alps are so good a major factor in never having been, BUT Kirkwood looks the business.......anyone done sno-cat skiing there? Any tips/ hints re Kirkwood sno-cat skiing, accom/ contacts etc?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy