Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Host Mark Warner

Poster: A snowHead
Hiii all, I'm new here I'm in my final year at university, due to graduate this summer and I'm planning on doing a winter season.

Just wonderingg, if anyone else has got an interview with Mark Warner for ski host in June? I applied few days ago and got an email back today. If there's any mark warner employees past or present on here, can you tell me what they're like to work for?!

Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ldnfashionlover, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Whilst you're very welcome to ask your question here, quite honestly you'd be better asking that question on Natives, as it's more a work related website. www.natives.co.uk
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You are more likely to get responses on Natives but I'd trust replies on here more, Natives is full of industry types ready to talk up their own and talk down others!

Afraid I (or no-one I know) haven't worked for MW so cant help!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ldnfashionlover, mixed reports regarding MW, usual treat-you-like-scum big TO deal. Ski guide is quite a nice job though, as long as you don't mind skiing stuff which suits your guests rather than you and answering the same questions every week. If you're nice, people buy you lots of beers and lunches.

manicpb, don't agree - I can only think of three 'industry types' posting on Natives, one of whom runs the site and makes a living out of placing people in TO jobs, so is always going to big up the advantages of TO work.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've only done two package deals - but found the Mark Warner staff to be a "cut above the rest" in manners, education and dare I say it? All round "middle-classness"! wink

The skiing of the hosts was also far superior to that of another operator I've used.

They can't treat the staff "that" badly because I have never seen such a bunch of motivated, "nice" young people and I'm sure the attitudes would not have been so positive towards the guests if they'd been treated badly. On changeover day the hosts were expected to scrub the rooms clean along with all the other "domestic" staff but there didn't seem to be any whining going on. We turned up a few hours before the other guests because we'd driven rather than flown in and so got to see a bit behind the scenes as it were.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

They can't treat the staff "that" badly

They don't actually beat them, if that's what you mean. Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alexandra wrote:
I've only done two package deals - but found the Mark Warner staff to be a "cut above the rest" in manners, education and dare I say it? All round "middle-classness"! wink

The skiing of the hosts was also far superior to that of another operator I've used.

They can't treat the staff "that" badly because I have never seen such a bunch of motivated, "nice" young people and I'm sure the attitudes would not have been so positive towards the guests if they'd been treated badly. On changeover day the hosts were expected to scrub the rooms clean along with all the other "domestic" staff but there didn't seem to be any whining going on. We turned up a few hours before the other guests because we'd driven rather than flown in and so got to see a bit behind the scenes as it were.

What a lovely sweeping statement... also why would the hosts moan when they would have been told that was part of their job before they signed their contract? rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh my, compliments about staff not tolerated? rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alexandra wrote:

agree 100% Was in Tignes last year with MW and the £100 or so you pay above the TUI price is money very well spent. Tbh I thought the hosting would be tame, the week I was there it was only 8 to a group which is not the norm, the hosting was anything but tame.

I don't know if it is a pre requisite but all seemed to have BASI qual and most had done previous seasons in one of the less desirable positions. So to be realistic I doubt hosting in your first season would be available even if you were to work for nothing.

Regarding lunch, they take you to a pre booked restaurant and get theirs for free. All in all from what I witnessed a very civilised organisation to work for, whatever post you may be offered.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been to Mark Warner in Courchevel twice, and the staff were delightful both times.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for MW staff having been 4 times over the years. My step-daughter has just applied for next season also so will be interested to see how she gets on
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:

manicpb, don't agree - I can only think of three 'industry types' posting on Natives, one of whom runs the site and makes a living out of placing people in TO jobs, so is always going to big up the advantages of TO work.

Ok, I haven't used it for a good while. Just a little fed up of the instant Natives response to all 'job' threads (not that spyderman was to dismissive of the OP), I preferred the advice on here and listened to it despite knowing about Natives.

By the way Lizzard, what are you doing looking at Natives? I got the impression you were already in the ski industry! wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for the hosting. It's not an option I always choose, but when I have used them they've been very good. One issue, and it's a nice issue to have, is the groups can be a bit too big from the larger accommodations. If I intend to use the hosting I'll check the list in the morning and if it's larger than 7 or 8 I'll consider my options.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alexandra wrote:
Oh my, compliments about staff not tolerated? rolling eyes

By implying everyone else in the industry is lesser educated and rude but I guess you don't have the mental capacity to understand what you're writing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've done 7 MW holidays in the past few years, and I've generally found the staff to be friendly, helpful and great fun to be around. I always do the ski hosting and they're great, I've always thought it must be one of the best jobs to do with MW.

As said above, you don't get to ski what you want, but if you get a 'fast' fast group who's up for anything, you can have a really fun week with them.

They do take it in turns to host the fast, intermediate and leisurely groups though, so be prepared for lots of drink stops and people snow ploughing on some weeks.
snow conditions
I worked for MW 11 years ago as Customer Service Manager in Hotel Moris in Val d'Isere. Things may have changed a bit since then.

Ski hosts then did airport transfers on changeover days, so no hotel cleaning work.

Besides hosting lower, intermediate and advanced groups on alternate weeks, hosts would eat with guests at breakfast, on the mountain, drink with them in apres, and share tables over dinner, before doing evening entertainment and, obviously, welcome and farewell speeches. And sort out ski hire and lift passes with the help of the CSM / Accountant

Requirements, besides good skiing ability - patience, excellent customer service and social skills. At interview stage, they used to get 2 potential hosts to sit outside and chat for a minute about each other, then see if they could remember the life story of their "oppo" in the interview room. Names, background, interests, family, you know the routine - "are you a good listener"?

It's one of the better paid jobs in the company, but with longer hours than most staff because you have your guests from breakfast until dinner, even if you do ski most of the day.

They used to pay wages in cash each week, and retain about 20% to encourage you to see out the season or lose the money. Now they pay direct into your UK bank account so you have to hit the ATM every week.

Staff prices for drinks encourage you to stay in the hotel and drink with the guests, but the guests end up buying the drinks anyway.

Hotel Moris was adult only, so entertainments were OK, if it's a family hotel you have the nanny team to help entertain.

The week long training course near Southampton was very good, all about team building and bonding, plus the necessary admin and paperwork required each week.

All this was a long time ago and much could have changed since then, but I would recommend them as a TO to work for, they only use main resorts with good snow records and long seasons, and they have a high percentage of repeat staff as well as guests.

Good luck!
ski holidays
See my previous post above - my step-daughter didn't get it - I was amazaed they tell them that soon; the current seasion isn't even finished ! She is now working down the food chain, Neilson, Crystal et all but perhaps stopping short of Ski Europe wink
snow report
Quote:
She is now working down the food chain, Neilson, Crystal et al ...

Only people who speak as if they've had previous 'boarding' experience are allowed to host for MW Ski Holidays. wink
latest report
what sort of experience ? She skis to a very high standard - her boarding I'm not so sure about.

p.s. is being 18 (she'll be 19 before next season) going to have count against her ?
snow report
dsoutar, I'm sorry. Embarassed I was being an inverted snob ... the reference was to 'boarding' fee paying schools. Toofy Grin
snow report
moffatross, Mr. Chitty boarded in my house, a few years ahead of me! I too am an inverted snob!
snow report
dsoutar wrote:
what sort of experience ? She skis to a very high standard - her boarding I'm not so sure about.

p.s. is being 18 (she'll be 19 before next season) going to have count against her ?

Its a reps role so definitely... They usually only hire 21+. You don't really want to have an 18 year old sort out your complaint when you've spent thousands of pounds on the holiday. Even a 21 year old can sometimes be aggravating for the affected party.
ski holidays
Timmaah, MW rep ages in the Moris this year ranged from only just 18 to 27
latest report
Timmaah wrote:
dsoutar wrote:

Its a reps role so definitely... They usually only hire 21+. You don't really want to have an 18 year old sort out your complaint when you've spent thousands of pounds on the holiday. Even a 21 year old can sometimes be aggravating for the affected party.

I don't honestly think age has anything to do with it, but it's nice to know that the age of the person dealing with your problem matters to you more than the outcome.

I've encountered a large number of 40 year-olds I wouldn't trust to provide a new toilet roll when it runs out, and worked in other industries with plenty of 18 year-olds responsible for people's lives, not just their precious holiday and resolving a complaint.
snow conditions
Dr John, Monium, Ski Total, Inghams, Esprit, Crystal, Nielsens, First choice all have age as a job criterion - for the rep role. I assumed, wrongly, that Mark Warner did as well - unless they saw an exception in that candidate.
ski holidays
Timmaah wrote:
Dr John, Monium, Ski Total, Inghams, Esprit, Crystal, Nielsens, First choice all have age as a job criterion - for the rep role. I assumed, wrongly, that Mark Warner did as well - unless they saw an exception in that candidate.

Oh well, that's only been illegal since October 2006. Ho hum. They are old enough to do the job. Whether they are 18 or 21, they cannot discriminate against candidates on the basis of age. Of course, one of their criteria could be maturity and social skills, which would easily remove many 18 year-olds, but it cannot be a simple case of putting all CVs from under-21s in the bin unless they have a very good legal reason why.
ski holidays
They're also meant to pay minimum wage but still don't... It's still a part of their selection process whether you like it or not. I'm merely telling you. I'm not supporting or criticizing it.
latest report
Timmaah, I doubt it, she was f'ing useless.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JimG2009, was the training programme a general one for all staff or did they have a specific one for ski hosts? do you have any more details that you could share by email or post on this thread?

at one point we were considering doing ski host training but if MW has an in house one not worth looking into...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy