Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it worth buying Arctery’x and Patagonia – jacket review

Poster: A snowHead
I hate getting overheated whilst skiing. And I get very fed up when freezing on chairs. Are there jackets which enable me to avoid both of these problems – which can of course occur within two minutes of each other? I have headed in the direction of softshells in recent years, rather than hardshells. I’ve built up a lot of experience skiing and climbing in the Alps, and the softshell route is good for a lot of days – not all, but a lot.

For a long time I’ve been using a RAB technical smock (no longer made), which has a thin Pertex outer, a very thick ‘berber’ pile interior, and many ways of venting: big side zips, venting mesh-backed pockets etc. With this, I can use the Inuit approach – ie never sweat, since then you chill. Open the vents and have the zips up when hearting up; close everything down when cold. This has worked brilliantly, and I’ve been warm on days with minus20 base temp with 20degrees of windchill, and reasonably cool on plus5 days. It also functions like Buffalo and Paramo jackets – you can go out in torrential rain, the outer wet out completely (and will gain in weight) but you will stay dry since body warmth evaporates the moisture before it gets through the thick pile fleece.

But the smock looks a bit naff now. The excellent RAB Vapour Rise smock and jacket has replaced the Technical Smock but they have thinner fleece and fewer venting options. I’ve not used the Vapour Rise enough to comment on it, but a review may be coming in the future. The initial reaction is that the fit isn’t quite right for me (very long arms) but we’ll see in practice.

What I can comment on is the Arctery’x and the Patagonia Speed Ascent. Not cheap, either of them – you’ll be saying goodbye to the best part of 300 gbp in each case – but try Epicentre in Ambleside for excellent Patagonia prices, or the outlet store if you’re visiting Dublin.

Are they worth it? Absolutely.

First, the Speed Ascent. This has a welded rather than sewn construction for the very tight weave outer – very abrasion resistant, but breathable, and treated with a very high quality DWR. So far, this outer does not wet out even in very heavy rain. The inner pile is thick, but not as thick as the RAB berber fleece. When moving, the jacket is very warm, and remains cosy when you get on the chair – the high collar allows you to hunker down on bad days, and the helmet-compatible hood is good when climbing and not skiing but also useful skiing since it covers a skiing helmet if you begin to freeze on that annoying, stationary chair. The hood does collect snow, though, when down - unlike the clever design of the Arctery’x, which has an elastic system which pulls it flat to the back when down. It’s touches like this which make these expensive jackets worthwhile. The Patagonia is amazingly light, thanks in part to the welded construction, and is very slim fitting. It is a climbing oriented jacket, and is built for the wearer to have their arms up a lot of the time. This gives rise to a slight restriction in the fabric across the chest, an issue not present with the Arctery’x jacket. But it’s not a problem is use – try before you buy.

What is not quite so good is the drop tail, which can ride up in use, aided by a ‘ratchet effect’ of the pile inner. All that’s needed is a pull down every half-hour, so again, not a fatal flaw. The tail is really long, which is excellent in cold weather and on wet chair seats. This jacket excels on cold days – it’s a very warm option, and equals the RAB in insulation and protection, despite the very light overall weight. It does not have the venting options of the RAB, which means that it is very much a cold-weather jacket – you can reduce the number of layers worn, and on warmer days I have used this with just a base layer to very good effect. The cuffs are Velcro-closing, and this needs to be undone and tightened when getting the best interface with gauntlet gloves. The Arctery’x has elasticated lycra cuffs which are loose enough not to irritate the wrist but tight enough to tuck nicely into cuffs – without the need to do and undo Velcro. Another point for the Arctery’x. An internal pocket takes lift pass and can be used for leaning against proximity-activated gates.

So, a few niggles on the Patagonia, but a truly classic jacket, and one which I wouldn’t be without. It’s as good climbing in really filthy weather as it is on crisp or foul skiing days – it’s been worn a great deal this season, and is so light and unrestrictive that it’s a strong recommendation. They are used in Scottish winter climbing by the staff at Epicentre, so you can see the high foul-weather performance.

On warmer Spring days – or the semi-tropical winter days we’ve had this season – the Arctery’x Gamma Hoody has proved a boon. It’s a loose weave, non-membrane softshell so it is highly breathable – much like the Patagonia Guide Jacket – an alpine stalwart. A DWR again prevents wetting out, but if saturated it will not perform (in terms of keeping dry and insulating) in the same manner as the Patagonia or RAB, since it lacks the wicking deep pile. On some days I have worn the Arctery’x instead of the Patagonia; but layered up with wicking base layer and micro-fleece mid layer it has performed surprisingly well. At minus 1-5 I’ve been conscious of the cold, but not chilled. An excellent collar allows ‘hunkering down’, and as mentioned, the design of the hood is clever; it lies very flat at the back of my neck and does not catch snow or rain. Chest vents and mesh-backed main pockets allow good venting, and a small pocket on the left arm is good for electronic liftpasses. It’s a fantastic slim-fitting jacket, with low bulk, and a very low tail which never rides up. The outer is tough and abrasion resistant, but we are again dealing with a very light jacket, a great aspect, which it shares in common with the Patagonia. You are aware of the good design and highly effective detailing throughout the garment. There’s no sense of any restriction on movement, but the design remains figure-hugging. The cut makes this jacket extremely comfortable to wear with a pack – the pack straps slip on easily over the fabric – the same is true of the Patagonia – and does not cause the fabric to bunch up into uncomfortable folds around the shoulder, or anywhere else.

If you use the main pockets for venting, there’s still an internal chest pocket for money etc. All zips are waterproof, but note that plastic leaf-seal zips do not last forever; the plastic breaks down in UV and begins to look ragged after a few years. But as usual, Arctery’x’s spec high quality versions so these are likely to last longer than most.

But both of these jackets are very expensive by anyone’s standards. But are they worth it? I vote ‘Yes’; the detailing, weather proofing (from cut, design and DWR), and overall performance means that there’s no chance of getting caught in poor conditions and being forced to acknowledge ‘….I wish I’d spent more on getting a decent jacket…’. The Patagonia is first and foremost a hardcore (yet incredibly light) deep winter jacket. The Arctery’x makes an excellent late-winter to spring garment, capable of protecting from cold and wet, but excelling in variable Spring conditions. Top bucks, top performance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a speed ascent which i am a big fan of. I actually find it pretty good as a spring touring jacket. Wear it over a base layer until you warm up; skin in your base layer and then just put the jacket on when you get to the top rather than having to faff with layers
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have an Arc'teryx Stinger jacket. Goretex Pro Shell. It is "da' bomb". Best jacket I have every owned. Comfortable to wear, light, wind just does not penetrate, and being a shell, a multitude of layering options. Would not go back to an insulated jacket again.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I recently bought a RAB generator smock as a mid layer and it's excellent - far more versatile than a fleece, windproof, warm, extremely light and packs down tiny.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arc'teryx Sidewinder SV pro shell - nuff said Cool

EB's normally have v.good discounts on Arc' kit starting about now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, ...to those that have posted, thanks...any feedback on whether it's useful to have posts which review things in this way? If not, I'll stop; if yes, I'll carry on posting such when kit has been used sufficiently...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Arc'

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That one beats even 'Courch' for pointless in-crowd abbreviations.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I really really like my sidewinder, but, and it's a big but... the design of the hood is terrible. It's just not adjustable enough and lets too much wind and rain/snow at the side of the face. Other than that, it's perfect.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use my Stinger with a helmet, so no issues. The high collar, zipped up, is great when it is really cold.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly wrote:
I really really like my sidewinder, but, and it's a big but... the design of the hood is terrible. It's just not adjustable enough and lets too much wind and rain/snow at the side of the face. Other than that, it's perfect.

The Sidewinders of recent vintage (last couple of years) have been given a helmet compatible hood that fits perfectly over my Giro when on a lift. Either wear a helmet or grow a bigger head wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just been reading this. Looks like they don't make the Speed Ascent any more. Does anyone know what the replacement would be?

thanks

S
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They've ditched their fleece'n'softshell stuff in favour of fleece-backed powershield. The Northwall is the closest equivalent, but take a deep breath before looking at the price tag.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't know if it's worth it but I love my Arc'teryx Rush shell. I use it for hiking, skiing and biking and it's holding up well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Style: http://www.hanon-shop.com/nike-nsw-ventile-anorak.html

Function: http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/outdoor-clothing-mens-clothing-waterproof-jackets/mountain-equipment/mountain-equipment-morpheus-waterproof-jacket-2010-23695-pd-953.php

Nuff said.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:
Arc'teryx Sidewinder SV pro shell - nuff said Cool

Just swapped my Sidewinder SV for a Norrona Trollveggen. The SV was utterly faultless in every dept, I very much hope that the Troll is in the same league. wink
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
The SV was utterly faultless in every dept

Nonsense. Since when have Arcteryx sold it in eye-searing acid green, hmm?
ski holidays
Serriadh wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
The SV was utterly faultless in every dept

Nonsense. Since when have Arcteryx sold it in eye-searing acid green, hmm?

True, brown, black, beige..... are the way to go. The mottled turd look is very 'now', especially in your wardrobe. wink
latest report
Yes
latest report
Very difficult to get an accurate review of the 'value' aspect of these mega-bucks anoraks because they're subject to the law that governs every expensive purchase - that is that having spent a fortune on said item very very few people (and no blokes at all) have the humility to admit they wasted their money.

a sort of "The Emporer's Expensive Clothes" phenomenon
snow conditions
red 27, I will say that the Speed Ascent is the only ski jacket I have ever paid full UK retail for and I have not regretted it. I think it will be perfect for a touring trip in Norway I have lined up
ski holidays
Arno, Helping to prove red 27's, point Laughing
snow report
red 27, I spend £300 on a Salomon 3:1 jacket and it was rubbish. The wind whistled in through the fabric, the velcro cuff fasteners lasted 2 days (had to gaffer tape over them) and it was far too bulky in real-world situations (felt fine in the shop).

Bought a top of the range Patagonia in 2011 and don't regret a penny of the £450, and see no reason why it won't last another 5 or 6 years.
ski holidays
keep 'em coming guys wink
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
Arno, Helping to prove red 27's, point Laughing

to be fair, it's pretty much impossible to unprove!

that said, I've had some sh1te kit in the past (some expensive, some cheap) so I do appreciate good functional kit, and I am the type of bloke who will ski in ALL conditions so it isn't just a case of looking good in the bar wink
ski holidays
I've got sidewinder, bombproof,
flylow kit, got some pants from them and they're solid, now looking at another jacket from them, everyone is raving about flylow that's used it and its a good price,
snow conditions
Arno, indeed. It also ignores the possibility that the kit is actually very good.
latest report
Dr John, yup. Mind you, I couldn't imagine spunking a grand on a Kjus jacket, or even full retail on the Peak Performance jacket I picked up for not very much in a sale
snow conditions
OK - so I think I'm going to go for the Flylow Higgins: http://eur.flylowgear.com/men-s/higgins-12.html

Can anyone recommend a decent mid-layer to put underneath it?

Just found out I'm going to Silicon Valley early December for work - so I'll buy out there!
cheers

S
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, I'm a dreadful spendthrift, but Kjus is beyond the limit. Besides, they don't do a shell. I generally run hot so layering with a shell pretty much the only way for me. I tried most of them and Patagonia was the best fit for me. Plus who can resist cobalt blue with contrasting orange zip detail, eh?
snow report
red 27 wrote:
having spent a fortune on said item very very few people (and no blokes at all) have the humility to admit they wasted their money.

a sort of "The Emporer's Expensive Clothes" phenomenon

In defence of the folk who selflessly keep the global economy alive, when you're buying high spec technical gear from a brand known worldwide for doing that sort of thing quite well, you're unlikely to get a lemon. This means that few people are going to think "I can't believe I bought that sack of crap; I'm getting rid of it immediately." When you've purchased some daft Arcteryx SV-rated goretex pro fabric designed for ice climbing on granite and you're just using it for plain old skiing it'll last for years, too.

Fashion-oriented brands though... that's a different story. Anyone fancy trying to cost-justify Bogner gear? Anyone at all? wink
ski holidays
Serriadh, +1 to all of that, but I still wonder who pays full RRP for this stuff - if you can wait a couple of months you can always get it a couple of hundred quid cheaper!
ski holidays
clarky999, but it's not this years daaaahlink. Wink
snow conditions
These days I steer away from stuff that claims to do everything towards things that are good at just one thing and then mix and match in layers. IMV, this is a much more flexible solution (in both senses), lighter and easier on the wallet.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Serriadh, +1 to all of that, but I still wonder who pays full RRP for this stuff - if you can wait a couple of months you can always get it a couple of hundred quid cheaper!

That's not quite the point that Komrade Serria is trying to make. wink

+1 re. Bogner/Kjus etc. Designed to extract maximum rubles out of mafiosa pockets. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Spent 400GBP on my first Arc'teryx sidewinder sv. 10+ years and a whole lot of ski days later I'm still skiing in it and it still keeps me dry in cynic's favourite Whistler weather. On that basis I'm going to say it is pretty good value. Paid a lot less for my second one (or two!) because someone had put some imperceivable stitch in the wrong place or something.
The good thing with Arc'teryx gear is that it somewhat functional so was never fashionable in the first place and therefore 10 years later still isn't any worse Cool
snow conditions
^^^This!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy