Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring bindings

Poster: A snowHead
In 2006 I put my first touring bindings (Fritchi Freeride X) on my first Scott Missions. Now the latter are getting a bit floppy and the ptex paper thin after too many hole fills and grinds so I'm having to get new ones - but what touring bindings do people recommend? I found the old ones satisfactory (except very difficult to put on on a steepish slope since the boot has to press down exactly at right angles to the width of the ski - or is that a general problem for touring bindings?).
I am not a proper tourer: I very rarely skin for more than an hour or two - basically to get to exceptional skiing. Consequently stability is perhaps more important than light weight.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball, Marker Duke/Baron? Have Dukes on the Kuros and they're bombproof. Feel much more solid than Freeride +. Marker also do a lighter touring binding, the Tour 10/12 which are probably worth a look.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What boots do you have?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I am not a proper tourer: I very rarely skin for more than an hour or two - basically to get to exceptional skiing. Consequently stability is perhaps more important than light weight.

Pretty much the whole point of the Dukes/Barons. FWIW, I've got Barons on my Big Troubles and Bibby Pros, as BobinCH says, they're bombproof.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sweaman2, normal Alpine downhill boots (Lange Freeride).

Thanks BobinCH and clarky999.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dukes have been great on 2 sets of skis for me (now with quiver killers) even survived me attempting some park jumps last year!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would echoe Markers of some description if the boots are big.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unless I'm misreading if you like the Fritschis why not just remount them on your new skis? Unless you think they're due for a change anyway. Don't know if Salomon's touring binding is due to hit for next season (I'd guess given limited publicity maybe 12/13)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
Unless I'm misreading if you like the Fritschis why not just remount them on your new skis? Unless you think they're due for a change anyway.
I am considering that but I don't have any rock-hoppers at the moment, since my skis previous to the Missions de-laminated and had to be thrown out, so I may keep them as reserves.

By the way, is the problem I mentioned above of putting on skis on a slope a problem for all touring bindings?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dukes/barons have a lot of forward pressure so putting them on does require a bit of care; not sure they are any worse than a decent alpine binding though. you definitely feel more "in" than you do with Fritschis
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball, as you probably know I've transitioned from Naxos to Barons across the board.

I definitely like the Barons for the performance and the weight penalty compared to the Fritschi is not too bad. I can't see you needing Dukes - I'm heavier and tend to break things but have been fine with the Barons.

There was one case when I cursed them - skinning in some rolling terrain (in the Dolomites, I think) when all of you were just easily clicking back into ski mode on the Fritschis and skiing a couple dozen yards with your skins on, whereas I had to either take off my skis to flip the switch to ski mode again, or try skiing with a free heel and skins on...not very pleasant.

Other alternatives:
- Marker Tour 12 - would combine Duke/Baron performance with Fritschi weight - but seem to have a few too many breakages based on TGR threads so I'm staying away.
- Salomon's planned touring bindings - but as fatbob says, will they be out in time?
- MFD All-time touring plates plus normal bindings - but they cost a lot.
- redrill your Missions plus drill your new skis with Quiver Killers and use the same pair of bindings on the old and new skis
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks, horizon and others.

(I'm about to send you a PM about next season. )
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone know anything about the DIAMIR FRITSCHI FR PRO ? Is it much different from the Fritschi I have?
I read one endorsement which liked them better than anything (though they are about £80 more than the Barons)

I did do two day tours last year where we were doing about 1000m vertical (They weren't my preference but the people I ski with seem to vote to do it when offered). I'm slightly worried that if I go with the Barons I'm going for a (slightly) heavier binding than my old ones, when I'm not that fit, have a back problem at times and will be 63 next season Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, i have only seen one person on them and he worked for a distributor of Fritschi. I can't see why you would pay £80 more for them myself. They look like a fine binding to me and they appear to have made them a bit more solid (aka less slop) than other Fritschi models. the guy using them seemed to like them and was driving big skis (Movement Super Turbos) with them. but... i still can't see why you'd spend £80 more than Barons...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yup, sorry, I had come to that conclusion after looking at another website - I had returned here to delete my last post.
ski holidays
I've found some Missions at a very good price and just spotted some Barons on the internet at £100 off. So where in London (or just north of it) would I do best to get them fitted?
snow report
Spyderjon is the resident expert although not sure where he's based?

On a related note I have a 1 day old pair of 184 Dynastar Mythic Riders on a 50 day old pair of Fritschi Freeride + with skins and ski crampons if anybodys interested. Also have Garmont Endorphins 27.5 that go with them.
snow report
Arno wrote:
snowball, i have only seen one person on them and he worked for a distributor of Fritschi. I can't see why you would pay £80 more for them myself. They look like a fine binding to me and they appear to have made them a bit more solid (aka less slop) than other Fritschi models. the guy using them seemed to like them and was driving big skis (Movement Super Turbos) with them. but... i still can't see why you'd spend £80 more than Barons...

I had dinner with him & M last night. He sends his regards...
snow report
This article suggests your bindings say a lot about you ... http://www.skiingthebackcountry.com/ski-articles/telemark_apline_touring_bindings Laughing
latest report
parlor, good stuff - has he shared any more of his secret stashes with you? Wink
ski holidays
Arno, working on the more secret ones.

moffatross, I like that, I haven't read the updated one before with Dukes & Splitboards.
latest report
Out here in Serre very good end of season prices on kit - wife now has Fritschi Diamir Freeride with brakes for her Scott Realms 239 Euro all mounted etc and best of all Black Diamond skins cut to fit for 90E

I'll be selling here Dynastar touring set up soon - don't have all the details to hand at the moment - skis are Legend 4800 166 Dynastar toruing bindings and skins
latest report
One complaint about my old Fritchis, I have had my skis release a few times when I thought I'd landed small jumps OK.

Not sure now though, moffatross, if I want what the Markers will say about the potential me. I'll have to practice saying "Dude" for one thing, till I stop feeling nauseous.
latest report
Marker F10/12 end of.
snow conditions
Quote:

Marker F10/12 end of.

Despite the tales of failures?
snow conditions
I heard a lot of bad things about the F10/12's as well so I went with Fritschi's instead and they are (so far used them 3 days) pretty good and come with good advice from the shop about mounting them myself.
ski holidays
what touring binding =
dynafit for real ski touring
OR marker (baron / duke) for resort based skiing.

Quote:
I heard a lot of bad things about the F10/12\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s

Most of it hot air on the TGR forums - that seems to have become folklore.

From my reading a few F10/F12 bindings have broken when people take a knee fall in touring mode.
However a knee fall is basically the worst case scenario for any touring binding (full body weight being applied to the binding toe piece in a 90 degree twisting action).
Maybe marker is a little more susceptible. But fritschi, naxo and silveretta will also likely fail in this mode.
So the best thing is to avoid knee falls what ever touring binding you use.
(For example - with dynafit you can easily rip the toe screws clean out of the ski in a big knee fall).
snow report
indeed - and americans probably suffer more knee falls due to their love of setting skin tracks as steep as possible Confused
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fails on F10/12, chez SOLE = 0, heard of in Chamonix = 0, happy with that. Once when at another shop in Cham, we returned more Fritchi for warrenty from 1 shop than the whole of the rest of france put together. This tells me, people here are tough on their kit, vis a vis, the lack of fails reported here on F12/10 is encouraging.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy