Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quick kit fix?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,

Well after finally getting onto the EoSB bandwagon its now time to start looking at the logistics of it all, kit wise. So I have a few questions for all you veterans out there, that I hope you can help with. They are all pretty noob questions and have been asked before hundreds of times no doubt. However, as this purchase is primarily specific to VT at this time of year (and hopefully advice that will stand me in stead in future trips) I thought I'd ask.

1. I've decided that I'd like to get some new boots before I go. Now due to time constraints the only real option I have is to go to Ellis Brigham, and get the boots fitted and bought there. Its quite restrictive I suppose but I'm sure the range they have will have something for me. BTW I'd class myself as someone whos (mid?) intermediate level although I like to try anything out - sensible or not really.

My options are here: http://www.ellis-brigham.com/ski-boots/store/mens/

Anyway, if anybody could give some advice on what I deffo SHOULDNT be buying then that would be a start. Any recommendations of what sort I should be going for would be appreciated even more though. And anyone who can say "dont buy these as they're c**p, no matter what the salesguy says" would be most appreciated. Sock recommendation would help too really. I have a few pairs of thick ski socks that are in good condition, but are there any recommendations as I'd like to choose something that I would wear constantly for skiing, to try the boots out in, in case it needs adjusting.

2. Hopefully there'll be some snow left when we get to VT, but what will the weather be like. Would it be OK to just take a couple of quality base layers (I like the HH stuff but its quite expensive to be buying 5 base vests for the week) and some bog standard fleecy mid layers that only cost a few quid each. I've no idea how cold its gonna be, or on the flip side, how hot its gonna be. And I dont like feeling all cluttered up. I know some people ski in just a base layer and a jacket (well obviously everything else as well like) but is it feasible to do that?

3. Pants!! Any ideas for lightwieght ones. My Salopettes are rather bulky - and I hate them.

4. Lastly, from the Mrs. She's probably not gonna ski all day every day. She is having kittens about whether when she's loafing around she should be packing for cold days,cold nights, sunny days, jeans, flip flops, boots, trainers, white, red, blue blah, blah, blah. Any hints I could help her out with would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

EoSB virgin.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blert596, can't anser all of your questions but here's my two pennorth

You want thin ski socks not thick "tube" ones, smartwool are great and 3 pairs will do you the week.

I have been on 3 EoSBs and have always been roasting, You'll want base layer and fleece as you say, but you might well find yourself skiing in a base layer and jacket. some of the ladies have been known to ski in vest tops - we are certainly sunbathing at lunchtime. Bring good sunscreen.

In past years we have gone out without jackets in the evenings as it can be very warm, but equally it can be cold. keep an eye on the forecast and pack accordngly!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blert596, Where are you based. It would help to give you guidance on boot fitting.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
blert596, re bootfitting. At this time in the season, there may be a temptation to buy from whatever stock is left rather than the correct boot for you. A good bootfitter will be able to look at your foot and know which manufacturers build boots for feet of your shape.

When buying boots for Mrs Paellahead towards the end of the season, I have had two (reputable) bootfitters say "Sorry, I have nothing left which would be suitable" - you want to be confident that EB or whoever would do the same.

A lot of snowHead s travel to Bicester to see CEM for their bootfitting.
http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geepee, I'm based just outside Glasgow.

Freddie Paellahead, (Love the name btw Madeye-Smiley ), what you said is exactly what I'm trying to avoid really. Not knowing too much (if anything) about what to even look for in boots gets me slightly worried that I'm the perfect target for a sale.

When purchasing anything I normally tend to research like mad and get all the reviews I can before making a plunge (it took me 9 weeks to decide on my latest TV Smile ) but for boots I think I'll mostly have to rely on one persons call.

I dont know what half of the technical terms mean on them (average cuff, double canter, etc) so realistically could be fobbed off with anything that needs shifting. I suppose I'll just have to trust the guys in the shop.

Unfortunately there's no way I'll be getting to Bicester although I have read most of the good posts on here about them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
blert596, I don't know of any boot fitters near you, but if you fancy a day out I can recommend Graham at Rivington Alpine.

http://www.rivingtonalpine.co.uk/

It's a bit nearer than Bicester. He always carries a large stock of boots and he will only sell you a boot that suits your feet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In case you don't get sorted in the UK, according to my son who is out for the season there is an excellent bootfitter in Les Menuires that he and a few colleagues have used. If you're interested I'll get his details for you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for Graham@Rivington Alpine. The OH intended spending Sunday as follows:

- 45 minutes drive to Adlington
- 15 minutes choosing and buying new ski boots
- 45 minutes drive home
- 30 minute jog
- 30 minutes to shower and get changed
- 15 minute drive to country pub
- 60 minutes in pub having meal and beers
- 15 minutes drive home
- Watch TV

How Sunday actually worked out:

- 45 minute drive to Adlington
- 210 minutes of ski boot fitting
- 45 minute drive home
- 45 minutes of watching TV wearing ski boots as directed by Graham to help bed them in.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:
some of the ladies have been known to ski in vest tops
Not the only ones.

It was quite warm last year snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the replies.

I THINK I've decided to try the Salomon Mission RS8 as they seem to get a relatively good review, a decent flex, and a decent price in the sale. Its quite difficult to find many reviews on boots. Obviously I'll see if the fitter say yes or no as well.

I found a good site (american) that was a bit of a help out with everything really. It might not be much use to any of you guys but for me it was very informative. At least I'll be able to relate to most of the terms now. Smile

http://www.skis.com/docs/category/type/videos/

So now that Tarquin says I just need a vest up top, I'm on the lookout for some light kecks if anyone has any recommendations (price will be an issue now like) Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy