Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski prep for spring snow ?

Poster: A snowHead
What changes, if any, are required when preparing piste skis for the spring conditions we are currently facing?

Any wax recommendations for instance?

This, of course, assumes we will some form of snow on the piste in 3 weeks time!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Am wondering if you can still buy those cat track grass skis for my next trip, can't find them on ebay!! Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BMF_Skier, Zardoz Notwax helps in slushy conditions as a complement to ski wax.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BMF_Skier, Didn't Megamum recently post a link to an article regarding a wax that was very water resistant wink Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're keen to keep moving nicely, make sure there is some structure to the base of your skis. I wouldn't recommend a very coarse linear structure as that will be a pig to turn and getting rid of it for next year would do no good for your skis. But a light diamondy type one would be a great all-rounder
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dulcamara, Thanks.
Bases have had a fresh structure, and I'm armed with Notwax for after the skis have been waxed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dulcamara, last weekend in Valais we had the weirdest stop-start spring snow I have every experienced - after a fantastic run down a powder-strewn north-facing and shaded run we hit strange stuff on the run out which was SO grabby - but every meter had an oscillation between 'whoah...stopping...and wheehaay...off again at top speed...' - boy it was tiring ... didn't know whether you were coming or going ... like putting a handbrake on every two seconds. Obviously experienced suction effect before, but not this constant and quick oscillation. I was running wet snow wax, which wasn't stripped from the base, so I am sure you are right about structure.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="dulcamara I wouldn't recommend a very coarse linear structure as that will be a pig to turn and getting rid of it for next year would do no good for your skis. [/quote]

Shop did that (by mistake) to my favourite skis last year, they became my least favourite, just would not turn at all, so had to go back and be redone, I was not pleased as had spent ages doing the base and side edges. Until then i did not realise how much base structure could effect ski performance as at first i could not work out what was going on.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well I've just waxed mine ready for heading off to LDA next Saturday. Just did them the same as I usually do. I'm taking 2 pairs though, Pilgrims and some oldish Fischer AMC 76's. Last year I used the Pilgrims almost every day there was so much snow, might be a bit different this year, they are good in slush too though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BMF_Skier wrote:
What changes, if any, are required when preparing piste skis for the spring conditions we are currently facing?

Any wax recommendations for instance?

a bikini wax!

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, Toofy Grin

Are they demoing next years skis ? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
valais2, Could that 'suction' effect you experienced have been caused by some pockets of artificial snow? Until I got used to the sensation I found suddenly skiing onto areas of it in Les Arcs/La Plagne in January was very disconcerting - it was almost as though the skis suddenly slowed down and occasionally it felt very odd if you only had one ski in it. What I felt sounds very similar to your description.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bones,

Nah! Next years come with on board snow makers!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bones wrote:
davidof, Toofy Grin

Are they demoing next years skis ? Madeye-Smiley

Took the photo yesterday at our local resort, the conditions were, erm soft.

They were on the new 3 woman poma.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Megamum, That's possible, although it was also happening on a run which is not served by cannon - although of course they could have pushed artificial onto it over night from the main piste. It's a weird feeling though, isn't it - front seat, back seat, front seat, back seat.....
latest report
looking at the webcams my old 'spare' skis are coming out with a liberal coating of notwax for the easter couple of weeks. Thank goodness I didn't ebay them Confused
latest report
Boredsurfing, ...good call...I keep a couple of pairs of rock skis for this end of the season and don't mind core shots in them...what's galling this year is that the end of the season appears to have appeared, well, long before the normal end of the season. A friend in the Valais has just emailed: '...the sun is out, so are the flies, there are mountain bikers on the hill and no one appears to be interested in skiing...'. I AM!!!!!

So if the lifts are running, it's me and my 5 year old to the top of the hill please....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy