Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

South Africa's ski resort to go up for auction

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Tiffindell Ski Resort in the Eastern Cape is to go under the hammer on May 12th in Johannesburg. The company that is to auction the resort is apparently snowed under with enquiries from local and foreign buyers....The resort has a beginner’s slope and the main ski slope is served by a ski lift. It also includes a main lodge, various chalets that can accommodate up to 142 guests, a bar, a shop, a ski school and facilities for hiring ski equipment.
Source: http://www.fin24.com/Companies/Property/SA-ski-resort-to-go-under-the-hammer-20110331
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just out of interest the auction blurb says that it is the only ski resort in South Africa. There are, I think 2, ski resorts / areas in Lesotho, which Tiffindell is on the RSA side of the border of, and although it is a separate country from South Africa is completely inside it. The only such country in the world I believe. Also has the highest minimum height, 1400m, of any country. I think one of their resorts now has snow making facilities because the snow is not that reliable.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But there won't be snow in Africa. Bono said so!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Lesotho resort is called Afriski , www.afriski.net, and is about 5h drive from Johannesburg.
Tiffendel is in the Eastern Cape and at least 9h drive from Johannesburg or 13h from Cape Town.
AFAIK Tiffendel went under about two years ago, and hope they can reopen it...
snowmaking is essential ( both in Lesotho and Eastern Cape/ Tiffendel as unfortunately natural snow is not enough.
Both resorts great places to learn or train, but rather limited for someone who can ski.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
The only such country in the world I believe.

Not quite, there's also The Vatican City and San Marino, both in Italy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt,
Fair comment, that is a shame because Lesotho use that "fact" quite a lot. Is it possible that San Marino and The Vatican City do not actually qualify as full blown countries ? Principalities maybe ? I had thought about this before and considered Andorra, surrounded by 2 different countries, Lichtenstein (same), Monaco (sea on one side). I must admit I considered San Marino but for some reason assumed it was on the coast.....

lizski, My only reason for knowing, a little, about Lesotho is that my kids school is twinned with a school there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skitow wrote:
Also has the highest minimum height, 1400m, of any country.

That's a coincidence ... I read this just this morning in the South African Airlines on-board magazine, and was going to post it under the "things I learned today" thread!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
maggi, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Afriski is at 3000m, and top of slope 3300m They do summer high altitude training there.
Very tiring walking uphill there!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy