Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is going on with the SCGB ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
DG, I'm pretty sure that a member can nominate any other member to act as their proxy. I've never exercised this right before, however this year...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The proxy form suggests the chairman as default but makes it clear you can nominate any council member as you wish.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith wrote:
Actually, what's needed is for internet-savvy candidates to stand for Council, and then things can change.

Well yes, to a certain extent. But things can only change to a limited extent - certain bridges have been burned.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes Ian but what if I don't want to nominate a council member, for whatever reason I may have Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Even if a pro-reform candidate is elected to Council, then IMO it is still an uphill battle for that one person to effect significant change as he/she will be out-voted 8 to 1 on such pro-reform issues.

It might be a different matter if say 3 pro-reform ( new political party! Toofy Grin ) candidates were elected to Council on a pro-reform manifesto which is co-ordinated. This would send a very strong signal to the more conservative members ( small c ) of the current Council.

DavidS - agree with you to a certain extent, but I would like to believe that members would listen to cogent pro-form arguments and vote for candidates who support it.

All we need now is candidates!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 18-03-04 1:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith has (as usual) hit the button. If we really do want to guide the SCGB (I am not happy with their preferred term: "the ski club") back on course then some of us are going to have to put our heads above the parapet.
Unfortunately, I think many now are quite happy here at Snowheads, and reckon the SCGB can get stuffed.
I have poor people skills (why else did I become an anaesthetist) and so do not regard myself as a good candidate. But from the posts I read I am sure there are others out there who would benefit the SCGB. I'll gladly support them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim, that was your call to arms, DGs! Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Going back a few posts (sorry)

David Goldsmith wrote:

...Skiandboard.co.uk apparently has a different forum policy and includes non-members because there is less posting there! Classic Ski Club logic.

I'm now more inclined to believe in the cock-up theory, I think the Ski Club forgot about skiandboard.co.uk and the forum there stayed open by accident. I checked it out the other day and it is completely open because you don't even have to use a proper email address to register. Since we've woken them up about it they've realised they can't have two different policies. Hence the notice now on skiandboard.co.uk chat site: "For a number of reasons, the skiandboard.co.uk Chat will be closed from the 20th March 2004."

At least the Ski Club has learnt one thing and is giving a bit of notice of the closure.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ian Hopkinson wrote:

My impression on SCGB was that the reasoning has shifted from being a strict legal liability issue to a 'don't upset the sponsors' issue. So I don't think people should feel that overcoming the original legal arguments will change anything.

I agree, I don't believe that they ever sought legal advice. I think Godfrey vs. Hallam-Baker, although not seen as particularly friendly to Internet Publishers should have given them enough legal get-outs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/695596.stm

This is an issue for libel law. A forum is a bit like a radio program where someone makes a libelous statement. A forum should do three things AFAIKS:

1. take due care to make sure libelous material is not published. The Ski Club failed in this count because its bulletin board software had a buggy and poor registration process... still who runs forums based on Microsoft software? It should also make it clear that users should not publish such material.

2. make sure it doesn't own the material published... that is a forum should not claim copyright on comments published (T&C), it should also make sure that Google etc does not cache such information (the skiclub forums were invisible to google however when they closed the forum they did claim ownership over the material).

3. Provide a mechanism so that posts considered libelous can be removed.

I think the legal threat was minimal but I can see that they would lose revenue or be booted out of ski resorts if they veered too close to the uglytruth.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 18-03-04 16:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pete Horn wrote:
"For a number of reasons, the skiandboard.co.uk Chat will be closed from the 20th March 2004."

Bit of a climb down for a site launched so recently to be "an environment for riders of all standards to meet, chat and exchange stories from their adventures."
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The issue of proxy voting relates to motions at the AGM which, in my opinion, is neither here nor there. It really doesn't matter whether the council gets its wrists slapped at the AGM. The issue must be (for those who still care about the SCGB) effecting change. That means the elections for new council members (-not a matter of proxy voting: all members get voting forms). A third of the seats are up for election this (and every) year and they should be the target for those who are concerned.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suspect tis is one of those embaresssing situations, they know that the SCGB forum was actually ok and I would imagine since we know thaat Laura Z. reads these pages that they now know that the skiandboard chat may not have been ok, of course it's bad enough bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted but it looks to me more like bolting one door but letting all the horses out the yard before closing the gate ! Insanity might be one get out I suppose Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just thought i'd throw my 2cents in.

I wasn't a member but appreciated the open chat forums. I was gutted when they took it away, looked at what was offered by the ski club for its membership cost and laughed. I can get better value and discounts by calling the companies direct or doing some research on the web. The forum was the only thing that offered value and the interlectual properpty wasn't owned by the ski club!

If they opened up the forums again i wouldn't bother going back, here just seems more friendly, has a better feel about it...............i guess its taken all the best bits (the people) and left all the worst (beaurocracy etc) behind?? I feel all nice and fuzzy!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dan that's exactly the way I've begun to feel but you've put it better than I could, nice and fuzzy eh ... Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Careful guys, or we'll need to have a warning to people not to adjust their sets Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy