Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler - Travellers Cheques

Poster: A snowHead
I know through experience that in the USA you can use travellers cheques almost like cash and they will be accepted almost anywhere, even at the bar buying a beer, does anybody know if is the same in Canada using Canadian Dollar TC's.

Going to Whistler next week and looking at my spending options as i am sick of getting hammered for taking cash out of ATM's and using the credit card and not happy carrying lots of cash.

Anybody any advice - Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
leedsunited, I recall using them a lot in Banff as cash, but can't remember doing it in Whistler, but I would imagine so.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Didn't realise anyone used them anymore with the prevalence of cashpoints.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fatbob - Hence i am sick of getting hammered for taking cash out of ATM's, the rate you are charged for the pleasure is extortion
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Established that it is very much different to the US and only place to change is the bank Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
leedsunited, we now have FairFX cards - euro and US dollar ones - which we think cut the cost of using the ATM. You have to load it first but easily done online.
Sorry just looked and it doesn't seem that they work for Canadian dollars.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
leedsunited,
You're going to get hammered anyway with the exchange rate (which fluctuates several% weekly - mostly down at the moment). I used to find that ATM and credit card fees weren't actually all that bad, and the rates were generally competive as opposed to going to the bank/travelex to change money.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pamski wrote:
leedsunited, we now have FairFX cards - euro and US dollar ones - which we think cut the cost of using the ATM. You have to load it first but easily done online.
Sorry just looked and it doesn't seem that they work for Canadian dollars.

Pamski Many thanks for that and i have same for Euro needs and did check them out, they have an anywhere card but not the same benefits as the Euro card ie zero charge on transactions and ATM withdrawals.

Stuarth - Thanks and i know you cannot avoid it somewhere just trying to find the best angle of which was if can effectively take cash in the form of TC's then i have only been hit once, works great in the US.

Being a Yorkshireman i dont like giving away owt if i dont have to Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
leedsunited, Funny I am going to try it out today to see what happens at the ATM. I am told that my Nationwide debit card is only £2 cost a transaction. However, with the better exchange rates that you get electronically, I am hoping it works out better. Live in Yorkshire so understand the Owt concept. It really will make very little difference when it comes to the tot up. Maybe a kokanee or two.

I normally just take cash and leave most of it in the hotel safe, but could not get what I wanted before we set off as the PostOffice had a lower limit than I expected to order and as we had some from last year did not need that much.

Credit cards work out just fine, as long as you don't have a woman/shop combination. They will take them in most places. The exchange rate is better than you get changing cash hence cheaper. Not to mention I get cash back on the credit card too.

So my plan is use credit card where ever possible and cash where it is under $20. Leave a spare credit card, cash and passports in the safe and get them out if needed. Hoping obviously I do not lose the credit card and have to use the spares....

Oh and I have some $US to get rid of too which they use on par with $CAD in most places. Hence if you had some $US travelers cheques they should work. I have one of those too but not sure I am going to try it. Could if you really want to find out.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jake 43 - Many thanks for this and fellow Yorkshireman T boot. i understand your logic but i have today found the solution that works for me and in all places Tesco, the very nice chap on the currency counter pointed me towards the cash passport http://www.cashpassport.com/ loaded it with Canadian $ and no ATM fees or transaction charges, even managed to negotiate a better exchange rate than the one on display. As mentioned earlier same principle as the FairFX card i have for euros. Tord fella well happy now kid!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have been to ATM really just for you as credit card so easy to use I just had to find out what the rate was. Cost me $1.5 transaction cost not sure what the rate is until tomorrow as not shown up yet on the bank.

I did look at those cards but the ones I looked at were rubbish rates and they wanted to charge for putting money on. Not to mention I have enough bits of plastic already.

Also been testing US dollars and they take them anywhere they just flip the till to dollars when you ask. So getting rid of those I found in the cupboard too.

To answer the other question we are here for a week.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jake43, Thanks for the info, yes i also have a few US $ to use up so will take them, the Tesco Visa Cash Passport card is very good, straight load with cash, no charge and all the safety of TC's if you lose it or it is stolen. I have no roblem using the credit cards but they almost all charge you an additional 3% of the exchange rate on top of what the banks are paying so over 2 weeeks and everything on a credit card it can add up, dont pay it if you dont have to is my motto. Using the cash passport i know £ = $1.51 and anything i dont use i just cash in when i get home http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money#five

Our first day skiing will be Friday so you may be on your way back to blighty by then which is a shame as i would have liked to have bought you a pint for taking the time to pass the info back. Have a great time Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
leedsunited, Oh thought we may cross over, we are flying back on Wednesday so will miss you.

Looked again at the bank but still not come through yet so not sure exactly what the ATM rate was. I will bet that pint that it is no worse than 1.51 though.

Also I have always found that credit card exchange rates are always better than whatever I got for cash hence I switched to using them more. Never had any surcharge that you are talking about, it always seems to be just the electronic interbank rate which is better than the swap to paper money. Now if you are going from a bank to plastic maybe they will have given you the same rate.

Not sure I have got the bottle to try using the old TC I have in USD but I am trying to as it needs to be documented.

Interesting thought how does moneysaving expert make any money Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jake43, God I must get a life ! I have looked at the link above for Tesco and it looks like it is a Travelex card which I had already seen and discounted. Checked on the Moneysaving link too and this is what it says..

"Not far behind is the foreign exchange giant Travelex’s Cash Passport. There's no fee for spending abroad, but it does charge 2% when you top up online, by phone or in stores.

Some fees, but easier to get at speed

You’ll get the prevailing Travelex exchange rate, generally not as good as FairFX/Caxton, and the exchange rates you get on the best credit and debit cards.

The big boon over the above cards is it's available at Travelex branches, plus Thomas Cook and Co-op Travel agents, meaning you can get one mega quick if your holiday is soon, though buy there and you can only then top-up in branches (where you'll be charged that shop's commission) or by bank transfer .

It charges a £2/€3/$3.50 monthly charge if the card goes unused for twelve months. If you’re heading towards that situation, simply cancel the card as it’s rarely worth it......."

I am sure you said you already had a FairFX so why get another?
Also where is the 2% in your 1.51 rate calc?

Still think using what I have got is the same and a load less hassle. I use a debit card for cash and credit card for paying for stuff.

And my head officially hurts now but that could be the Daiquiris last night. Maybe not so sensible on top of Kokanee.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jake43, Hangover, never on that southern beer!!!! (Kokanee)

I do have FairFX card but it does not operate in Canadian $, only Euro or US $ or sterling which if used at an ATM or in retail outside of any of these currency areas will have exchange conversion charges applied as you will be converting the on card currency to the local one.

What i have is a card that is identical in function to a debit or credit card but does not incur any charges when used and if lost can be replaced to me in resort within 24hrs with the remaining balance still on it, lose my credit or debit cards and all stopped and mega hassle of not having them for 7 days until replacements turn up.

I did not have 2% in my calculations as it does not apply to the initial loading of the card and i paid in cash so avoided my own bank charging me a % for using my debit card in a currency exchange. The 2% only applies if you top it up which you can do via internet or phone although i am not going to and it will not lay dormant for any time as it will be empty of Canadian $ by the time i return, wife will ensure this happens!. And if i run out i can always revert to my own credit or debit card as back up.

I agree if you are using cards be it debit or credit that allow you to use without transaction charges then great, say cards from Santander or Abbey then i would not have looked for a zero cost alternative but unfortunately i dont and did not have time to apply.

Using what you already have may be less hassle than going to tesco and getting one but you are still being charged for the pleasure of spending your own money which generally equates to poor exchange rates and handling fees.

Still good to debate to have if the subject helps others to decide.

Hope you are enjoy the skiing and watch out for those Kokanee's Shocked
latest report
leedsunited, Experiment continues as finally got details in my bank. Oh and it was some Honey Lager last night which was great apart from the crazy heavy glasses that must have been 1/2" thick.

Exchange rate 1.5555
Comisssion £6.14

Thus $400 cost £263.21

Postoffice (if they would have allowed me to only have $400 which they would not) would cost £268.55

Your option (I think if I get the calcs right) £264.90 and I have to go to flipping Tesco (and sign up to some more advertising etc argh) I dont even know where one is near us. They do have a planning app going through at the moment for one in the town but that is going to be some years yet.

Ok so I could loose the card but I have not in over 30 years of use so not really bothered on that one. I don't keep much in the account anyway as it can be topped up electronically from savings so would not loose much if it went bye bye. Now if I do loose it after saying that smug crap it is your fault. wink

I think the conclusion is the differences are so small that it is not worth the hassle to do anything that you are not happy doing. So I guess we are both right but you owe me 2 beers now.

Send money electronically to Brewhouse as you are not going to be here in time. Shocked wink snowHead MOST IMPORTANT. Enjoy the skiing it is snowing again that is every day so far and some sun too at times, just wish I had not knackered my knee getting out of the bus.
latest report
Jake43, cheers buddy and hope the knee is not to bad and dont blame it on bus i bet it was the Kokanee's Laughing
snow report
leedsunited, Back now and a credit card statement here on my return so I can see what the rate was. Obviously not all in yet but rate moved from 1.54 to 1.53 in amongst.

Hence my guess that using credit card was the cheapest turns out to be true and as easy as cash to use.

I think you are out there now so do hope the weather is as good as when we were there with the 30cms at least every day but 1.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 11-04-11 16:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Jake43, Fri - Sat great with sunshine both days, raining all day and night since and expecting 50cm over 3 days, conditions are porridge coming into village so most people now downloading at Whistler Gondola mid station, a cold snap should change all that.

Not sure how using credit card is cheaper when exchange rate is 1.45 - 1.3, i got cash at 1.50 and current rate is 1.55, so credit card is giving very poor fx rate and also charging a fee for using.

Kokanee is very good Very Happy
ski holidays
leedsunited, Oh what a hard life you are having ! It is always crap down to the village I always download.

Silly me I have miss typed the numbers (which I have fixed) 1.54 to 1.53. No fees for using them.
ski holidays
Jake43, I'll call it love all!!!

Weather update just about to step out of the house and it is snowing quite hard, good day ahead Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy