Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thirty Two Summit Boots - good for a beginner?

Poster: A snowHead
They seem quite cheap - are they any good?

I am a decent skiier but having boarding lessons at Chill Factor and after getting my own gear.

I am 5ft 8in and 75kg/12 stone.

Thanks, Cooky.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't worry too much about the brand/model - get something that is a really good fit first of all. From there, if you're a beginner, you're probably better off with a softer/more flexible boot, which will usually be the cheaper models.

Thirty Two are decent boots though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hang11, exactly, decent brand that fits properly, not too stiff.

Only thing I'll add is go along to a shop and try on as many boots as you can 'til they get fed up with you, especially if you have wider than average feet/other specific foot issues. Saving maybe twenty or thirty quid on "cheap" boots is just not worth it in the long run.

Good luck with the lessons.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stiffness has nothing to do with ability it's a quality in Manufacturing issue. Buy a good strong boot that fits well as already said, a softer boot will basically be made out of cardboard, avoid at all costs. And, spend good money, whatever it takes and of course avoid Burton, their boots are the worst footwear i've ever seen.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the subject of 32 boots, they make awesome boots on the whole, well constructed, great liners too, however almost every pair i've seen in recent years, having changed factory, the outsole seems to either rot or detach, heads up, that's all.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, are you a skier giving snowboard boot advice?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gainz, Yes, but on the odd occasion we sell and fit snowboard boots and have enjoyed a lengthy spell in boot development, next question? Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gainz, Are you a Burton Snowboard boot wearer? Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Stiffness has nothing to do with ability it's a quality in Manufacturing issue.

Your reputation is hard to go against however if your a lazy boarder who is happy skiding your turns and don't care about technique you will be more comfy in a unstiff boot. In a stiff boot they find themselves holding an edge more, picking up speed and going to fast for their ability.

I don't belive everyone should be sold a stiff boot!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
manicpb, Dude it's relative, the stiffest boot i've come across is next years Malamut, it's still more flexiable than a mountaineering boot, should the wearer have ankle flex issues i would be a little worried about their achillies. Use stiffness as a guide, but unfortunately to bring a boot in at a price point that serves mainly the "Skate dudes and dudettes" sorry but true, they are having to use a product that is really poorly made in footwear terms, just like skate shoes, none of the boots, as stiff as they are out of the box, stay so for very long. We're gutted, there still remains to be a boot made that will last a full season of serious boarding and parky type dribbling.
I'm not trying to be contrary mate, the manufacturers themselves admit what they have to put out there is on the whole awful, they all wish you'd be prepared to spend 600 euros, like skiers and then you'd see some real and radical product available. Our range is priced at around 300-400, and i have 9 people laugh in my face before I get one take a pair.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What about a board then?

Have been recommended a Bataleon Evil Twin 154 so far.

Any other suggestions? Only want to spend max £300ish and will be using it for a bit of everything hopefully next winter.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bataleon boards are nice. I had one for a season and really rated the TBT, seemed a bit slower than usual but nice to chuck around.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER It seems odd that you can criticise Burton and yet at the same time rate 32's even though their outsoles fall off/ rot. I felt that 32s were the worst boots I've ever put my feet in, even hire Burtons felt better. I'm a long time Northwave wearer but I sold them as they had opened up too much due to wrong size. After trying on a zillion boots only the Burton Ambush fit right. Two weeks of riding and all is well, better than well - great.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My wife has about 200 days on some 32 boots and they're fine.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gainz, The outsole issue aside the sole actually flexes correctly, the heel area is rigid, as is the toe box, these are all signs that a boot is well made, the rotting issue is just a simple glue issue, easily solved, probably has been, will depend on the factory's needs and purchase quantities. As i said, we have a huge amount of clients come through with SB boot issues, many can be solved, Burton is bar far and away the worst made range out there IMO, no structure, no support and cheap liners, really awful, but hey, they are Burton, I have a Burton beanie, it works fine, messes my hair up a bit.

As for boards, buy woodcore, stiff as you can, they will last forever, maybe the heel edge will explode, but that's part of the sport. Probably expensive though, good quality kit is. Can't recommend a brand, all my buddies use Batalleon Evil Twin, love 'em, thee boys get through 2 boards and 2 pairs of boots a season, says everything about the market unfortunately. But for their money it's pretty much unbeatable, Voelkl have always made awesome skis and boards, buy top end always and get value for money.
snow report
hang11, That's awesome, pre 2006 model?
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you obviously are clued up in the manner you put over your views (of which loads is prob close to the truth) however you've just lost a touch of my respect (not that your looking for it) by saying buy woodcore as stiff as poss! Your right stiff boards will last longer and cost more but the OP could be sessioning snowdomes all year riding rails and Qpipes which a stiff board would not be the weapon of choice something with more flex defo is. A stiff board can still be used in park but favorable for massive straight kickers. Companies could up the price of flexy boards but why when they cost less to make and break more often, still doesn't make it the wrong board for the right rider.
You give loads of great advice on here so not putting you down but I disagree with a degree of your boot advice and all the board advice without hearing more of what the OP is after in a board. Also put a novice on the stiffest board you can find and watch the carnage occur!
latest report
Smzk,s info is far more valueble even if you or I disagree with some of it on boots.

It not so much advice if you read into it but statement of market forces as far as SB,s boots go.
As in snowboarding its to much info?
The last salesman asked me why I put my foot in a empty shell in store?.
In snowboarding... boot fitting is a joke so this may or may not matter to some riders but Smzk,s info is better on here than not at all.
Mostly riders with problem feet know this and joe ave is ok so won,t care less or even get it .

Its hard to be current on all riding disaplines, boards and boot models if not totally impossible .

Also Smzk, his area is boots and the Op will get a new board cause it might not match his pants or chuck it in even.. as many skiers do soon as they have to suck on humble pie.. learning again.
The strenght or challenge for skiers when taking up boarding is off piste.
As a board in this area is really something.

The op is a decent skier so he says looking to buy the cheapest entry SB boots on the planet.
Cost and bang for his buck is all he wants to get going with under 90 on crap boots yet 300 on the bling board.
It paints a picture.
Knowing what I know now I would turn that 180 degrees and drop 90 on a older used board and more on boots and footbed.
Givern someone could fit the correct ones is the only key (late season) and thats what Smzk,s post is about as I read it.(The brd matters little)
A higher level of Quality but at a higher cost.

This rarely bodes well with domes and parks crowds as they are younger and change up kit on a whim.
For a high percentage fashion and scene are paramount.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 11-04-11 22:55; edited 2 times in total
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
hang11, That's awesome, pre 2006 model?

2007 NZ Season, so could be a 2006 model.
snow conditions
Tirol,

I only asked whether they are any good!

A simple "no, spend a bit more on some better ones" would have been fine!

As for "chucking it in" maybe I will so makes sense not to spend too much doesn't it?

So you want me to spend over £100 on boots but £300 is too much for a board?

What board would you recommend then?

Cooky.
snow report
I think Tirol means don't skimp on the boots. If you're at a 400 quid limit for board/boots then get the boots sorted first, and see what's left for a board. Presumably you need bindings too.

Honestly, the worst thing you can do is get some boots that aren't comfortable or don't fit well. That will ruin a day a lot quicker for you than having a not so flash board, especially if you're learning.

This is an interesting thread about boots anyway. I've got some DC's with about 300 days on them, and they're starting to fall apart, so looking for a new pair.

I was about to go and try some 32's on, and see what they are like, but might look at something else now. Any reccomendations on brands to look at?

Fairly limited selection here in NZ, burton/32/K2/ride/DC mainly. But I'm in the UK next week for a few days, so might go and do a bit of shopping somewhere.
latest report
My post is in relation to a chamonix ski boot fitters thoughts on Sb boots and less on anything else.
When someone says the biggest snowboard manufacturers all 13 boots are off and spends alot of time in chamonix fitting a range of mountain sports boots in extremes its worth listening too.
You need to reread the bigger picture.
It will come in handy later and for your skiing and boarding .
I guess I spent £1500-2000 on boots and crap insoles alone.
The time spent and wasted would have cost more its radical even dumb but we just went riding.

Like I said snowboarding is too much information for most, even some rookie saleman in Tsa.
So its best taking a stepping stone aproach when starting.
I would actually say go mid range or just below probably with everything.... then just progress or possibly rent at first to decide a direction with equipment and choice,after all its your cash.

If you look at new atomic its very good value and ride for boards .
If you get Burton bindings or Rome you get after service and parts which is the go, to your door.
If you chuck it in you can always sell Burton gear remember.
Also popular Brand beginners boards are sort after in the UK so cost less new and lose less value used, like the atomic hatchet for 60 to 100 used.

Not many can do the numbers on this store but its good... then later... buy better with more knowledge as follows-
Edge to edge does this seasons old rental gear so a one stop shop and you can cut a deal but like right now.The resale will be very good in november if its burton.

Thousands of guys and girls in your shoes get sorted by TSA.
These guys/girls have money and like colours, tsa likes money and has colours.
Tsa is in business for domes and one or more week trips to the alps and I would advise thats a course for you, they probably have a store at the dome..
As you havent said what your intentions are in detail as manipb says how could anyone judge your needs
Strangly a board shop will do it in seconds for you but they do know the local dome and lesson market.

I am the wrong guy to ask about FS short brds I went straight on a alpine board with a sidecut longer than a 169cm in hard boots and race bindings on a t-bar.
I thought this was normal but getting t-bar airbourne by the nuts was odd as hard kit weighed alot.

After that... next season my first ride on a soft board 160 air.. was off piste backside St Anton in mid jan with no hat and boot top plus.
Surfing was much much harder but in jan you need a hat off piste cause the skin peels off your ears later like sunburn .
It hurts like hell too if your head is down in the snow with your board and legs up in the air and you can,t see far in front when riding either.

Snowboarding you can get round a mountain after a certain amount of days but if you have pain in your boots which I took for years it slows you down and you swear for years being angry.
If you don,t start getting boots right early it can be tough and very expensive.

The boards are easy just head down when you get to the top, that was my first lesson.
Lesson two was " just follow me" which is a classic off piste lesson but more fun than a dome one.
Like low price generic fit boots ..lessons are generic as well but in summer why not.
snow conditions
TSA is now 30% off 2011 gear.
Good quality boots such as the narrow-
Salomon Malamutes, have a more mid range boot price of £164. Some 2010s as well but priced higher ?.
Some later mutes 2010? had hidden removable, flex rod inserts (plus also L shaped ankle/heel inserts) so flex/stiffness can be changed up via these!.You would need to check.
Thirty two,vans etc
Ions £200 many like these but not smzk for some reason.
Jones brds either side £300 but ltd sizes.
Lots of choices possibly, givern early spring heat this season in the alps.
Hang11 if you are over uk you may want to browse website, sizes may be the issue but they may hold in store via email?

No store near by.. not sure on beginners brd etc...low cash outlay.
Edge to edge- used 4-6wk rental, 2011 burton bullet, £129 fully serviced delivered free, 14days return,1yr burton warranty.
This is actually a very easy buy via few clicks and will hold value for someone starting out or just doing few weeks.
ski holidays
Cheers Tirol

I went into a few shops this morning - killer hangover Very Happy - and tried on a load of different boots. Didn't rate any of the Burton ones, Thirty Two ones weren't a good fit, had a crack at a few Salomon models and picked up a pair of Synapse boots. The Malamutes weren't that comfortable.

I got 25% off them at Snow and Rock, and I think I can get the VAT back when I leave the country, so they would be about 30% of the price I would have paid in NZ, if I could even find them, so happy about that.

Just need to get some custom footbeds sorted because my dog ate the ones I had made a couple of years ago.

It's been snowing on the mountains at home. should be all go for the season in about 8 weeks.
latest report
Fairly sure if the lenght and width are right, Synapse will work well for you.
(Vat refund sounds more of a gamble? although worth a shot.. they will know you are leaving anyway so could send you round the bases at heathrow if thats where its done.)

I don,t know if Synapse are closer too Malamute or Dialogue in quality but I like having no pain with the wide model synapse also Dialogue which dont last so long.

The laces seem to pop out of the top center- locking block thing,so need to figure out why.. other than that they are working so far.
Malamutes are far to narrow so how Smzk fits wider feet in these I,m not sure... even find it hard to believe.
He must minimise your foot spreading with a low volume footbed then widen them a bit like Bcjonny does by expanding the forefoot shell.
Nice for some..
snow report
Tirol 164, We use a steamer to heat the boot shell and then press it hydraulically. Anything too narrow can be widened, provided there is some structure to the boots, those I have mentioned either have this or don't, "cough, not, cough, Burton, cough." Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Smzk
Thanks for the confirmation. I used a pair of Malamute,s myself years ago but...never ever again without a width change.

I now measure the SBB inner shells for width and lenght and using your previous advice on mm shell gap, now have the best fit in decades.
I made a simple tool for this.

Something that is relevant over here is no advanced snowboard fitting service or fitter and boot stock are in the same place or probably even exists.
99% think its not needed just get a pair that feels ok on carpet instore is why.

So people here can only get sorted like H11 has... by fitting themselves... with what ever is in stock after a night out.
This failed for myself in a number of countrys and many times.

It has technical limitations like I,ve got a train,plane to catch or someone stole my boots and the lift is opening with two boot models in the shop.

Its not very technical fitting at all here and prone too sizing too long or narrow or both.
In my case now with measuring inner empty shell lenght and width, thats first,then try on and bootfeel is second.

But still a way to go and will get innersoles next.
Superfeet black or green are looking like a start or some of colins instaprint.
ski holidays
I cant help but think people are looking to much into boot fitting, ok ski boots need to be fitted due to the hard outer shell but boarding boots I feel need less adjustments because they are just so damn comfy! Perhaps I have what manufacturers class as a perfect foot but I can generally find a good fit from a decent boarding shop that will give me at least a season if not more. I've never had insoles, wear them to walk to the shop and to clear snow or ice and only get any pain after a 10hr epic day.

To any newbies dont spend a fortune and get the best/comfy fit possible, once you've had a couple of weeks abroad and perhaps once a month for a year in a fridge you'll know what your looking (or feeling) for when you upgrade to a mid range boot!

Finally I dont know to much about ski boot fitting but I guess you need to account forward lean and buckle tightness into fitting, in boarding these are both binding isdues. When putting on boots just pull the string, tighten laces ride and smile. Any unusual pain for me is often socks/base layer sitting wrong.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
manicpb, Fortunately for us we have hundreds of clients that disagree, probably having seen the benefit of proper fitting boots. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I had my ski boots properly fitted, with insoles put in, and baked in that warming-up machine, and trudging round the shop for an hour until they were shaped, and all that shiz.

They don't fit, whatsoever. Total crap.

My (thirtytwo) snowboard boots I bought unseen off eBay, and they fit like a bloody glove. You know, a foot-glove.
latest report
paulio, I refer the speaker to my previous post. Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy