Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What ski resorts are good for New Year?

Poster: A snowHead
Friend and I are thinking of trying a ski trip over New Year 20011/12. I think some of the tour operators are offering 9 night stays too which makes it all the better.

Any suggestions as to where would be good - needs to be decent sized ski area, snow sure given early-ish stage of season and have some good atmosphere for New Year's Eve itself.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamonix

St Anton
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zermatt.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Which TO's are doing 9 nights? Most of them seem to be doing France or Austria departures on the 31st Dec which is poor timing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Will need to go back and check in more detail, but think Ski Total were, and someone else. Think it was the TOs who normally do Sunday transfers, which will be New Years Day, so a few seemed to be offering Friday departure instead, returning a week the following Sunday.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dkirkuk, From the party point of view if might be fun, but if it's your one trip, and you're a keen skier, it's far from ideal. Shockingly expensive, very crowded, and you'll generally have better snow later in the season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, why is your answer to everything to be so negative? My half terms trips have never been crowded, and came in under a grand total spend.

Zermatt New Year (08/09) was a little more expensive (mainly due to the lift pass), but the slopes were literally empty the entire time (especially New Years Day, one of the best skiing days of my life).

I realise you want the Alps to yourself, but stop telling people not to go!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Summary of every thread ever on snowHeads:

Quote:
Where will be good in France/anywhere at half term/new year?

pam w wrote:
Go to Austria at Easter instead!

P.S. Les Saisies, Les Saisies, Les Saisies.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

My half terms trips have never been crowded, and came in under a grand total spend.

Well, clever old you. Fact remains, New Year is not the optimum time for a ski holiday, only those with no choice go at half term and few people are prepared to go to the lengths required to have a family holiday for under £1000 at half term.

Yes, when it's appropriate I do sometimes suggest people might go to Austria. What's wrong with that? It's sometimes the best choice. And - despite your endless and unfunny repetition - I rarely suggest they come to Les Saisies because it only suits certain types of people. Though the Espace Diamant is arguably better than Valloire - bigger and more varied. And yes, I have skied both. So there.

As for you accusing me of being negative - that's a laugh. You are routinely more rude and unpleasant than I have ever been.

There's nowt wrong with being critical, but you might at least make your criticisms internally consistent. Am I always trying to persuade people to go to Les Saisies, or do I want the Alps to myself? Do make up your mind.

So where should the OP go at New Year?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zermatt.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mr Technique,
Take a look at some brochures and the prices it is not rocket science to work out that for the UK market New Year and Feb holiday are the most expensive times. Then have a look at the esort pricing structure , same thing.
They know their market, New Year is on average the most popular time to go sking followed by Feb, a lot of resorts are crowded. Lucky you if Zermatt was quiet, a friend who went a few years back was complaining of half hour lift queues.
Early season snow is a variable feast, can be great but is not as reliable as later and the base is rarely as deep and formed for those who prefer off piste. I have been lucky in xmas /NY on the whole when I have been but prefer to give it a miss when I have a choice of times because of crowds, snow and prices. I Jjust get better value a ibt later. There can be a great party atmosphere you can have some great skiing but it is more expensive than I can ski for at other times and it is more crowded.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Same question to you then (both of you). Since the question asked was 'where is good at New Year'. A question that some of us have given a sensible answer for. Not 'when should I go to the Alps', which seems to be the question you've answered instead.

Answer the question asked.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd go Lech because it has a good early season snow record, good atmosphere and gets less crowded than most as it does not sell day passes at busy times. You do have to book early though as it sells out completely at New Year and is not cheap.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You'll struggle to beat Whistler. Lots of apres and the snow's always good.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ischgl or St Anton - both good size areas with great terrain, both pretty snow sure, both ace for partying. Ischgl can get pricey though.
ski holidays
dkirkuk wrote:
Will need to go back and check in more detail, but think Ski Total were, and someone else. Think it was the TOs who normally do Sunday transfers, which will be New Years Day, so a few seemed to be offering Friday departure instead, returning a week the following Sunday.

Ski Total are doing 30/12 departures for 9 nights. I would definitely not want to pay New Year premium prices for what is largely a 1st week of Jan holiday. I cannot see how this will sell well so I would recommend a last minute booking to get this 50% of what you will pay now.
snow report
dkirkuk, Our New Year week dates are 27/12 for 7 nights, with w/c 3/1 a 5 night stay, to 'regularise' the calendar. All 4 properties have been fully booked for New Year, since Feb this year, so if you find something you like, and are happy with the price, perhaps as well to book it - especially if there are quite a few of you.
ski holidays
Anniepen wrote:
dkirkuk, Our New Year week dates are 27/12 for 7 nights, with w/c 3/1 a 5 night stay, to 'regularise' the calendar. All 4 properties have been fully booked for New Year, since Feb this year, so if you find something you like, and are happy with the price, perhaps as well to book it - especially if there are quite a few of you.

That's very sensible but you are alone on offering those transfer dates. AFAIK all of the large tour operators are doing France / Austria changeovers on 24/12 and 31/12.

Pete
snow conditions
PeteMan wrote:
Anniepen wrote:

That's very sensible but you are alone on offering those transfer dates. AFAIK all of the large tour operators are doing France / Austria changeovers on 24/12 and 31/12.

Pete

Ahh, but we're not a large tour operator Very Happy These dates/our properties are only useful for people happy to DIY - the non-weekend flights can often be a bonus too (probably goes towards explaining why we sold NY so early....)
snow report
Quote:

These dates/our properties are only useful for people happy to DIY

Surely, surely, surely, there will gradually come to be more outfits selling accommodation on this very sensible basis, particularly at peak holiday times when travel on the standard changeover days can be completely miserable?
snow report
pam w, we look at the calendar for Christmas/New Year dates before setting our changeover days, and appreciate that a) few people want to travel on Christmas Eve/Day or New Years Eve/Day and b) doing hectic full-chalet changeovers - on those days - won't be fun either! It works very well for us, and we do have lots of returning clients for NY week (next season will be one large group's 6th New Year with us) so we must be filling a niche! It also means that we can be flexible for Christmas week start days, with 8 or 9 days possible, as long as the guests are OK departing by a.m. on 27th for NY arrivals.
snow conditions
Not that anybody has suggested this but DO NOT go to Bansko the queues were awful!!!!
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
Not that anybody has suggested this but DO NOT go to Bansko the queues were awful!!!!

Do not go to Borovets either as there won't be any snow.
snow report
Anniepen wrote:
pam w, we look at the calendar for Christmas/New Year dates before setting our changeover days, and appreciate that a) few people want to travel on Christmas Eve/Day or New Years Eve/Day and b) doing hectic full-chalet changeovers - on those days - won't be fun either! It works very well for us, and we do have lots of returning clients for NY week (next season will be one large group's 6th New Year with us) so we must be filling a niche! It also means that we can be flexible for Christmas week start days, with 8 or 9 days possible, as long as the guests are OK departing by a.m. on 27th for NY arrivals.

Well done you. Guests will also find it a lot easier to get cheap flights. You'll also be able to sell two perfectly times holidays (7 days for Christmas and 7 days for New Year instead of two terribly timed ones like the TO's).

Pete
snow conditions
pam w, PeteMan, Thank You - we do our best Laughing
snow report
dkirkuk, Les Deux Alpes is good at NY if you like fighting
snow report
I spent NY in Zermatt a few years ago, the slopes were very quiet but there was a good atmosphere in town. We did DIY, the EJ flights were more expensive than other dates but the accommodation wasn't.
ski holidays
dkirkuk, Verbier and Courchevel meet your criteria. Not been there at NYE but imagine St Anton would rock and Zermatt is stunning.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Val d'Isere also matches the profile
ski holidays
Cairngorm
ski holidays
So glad I started this thread - fascinating debate! A couple of friend have also suggested Ischgl or St Anton so might look into that.
Probably will be my first ski hol of the season with a 2nd hol later on.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
Ischgl or St Anton - both good size areas with great terrain, both pretty snow sure, both ace for partying. Ischgl can get pricey though.

As an alternative you can consider the areas close to Ischgl, which also offer great slopes. Those resorts are less expensive but offer high quality just as Ischgl. And for partying you can take a cab to Ischgl and enjoy the night-life and aprés ski http://www.ischgl.com/cable-cars-holidays-mountains.en.htm over there.
http://www.kappl.com/index-winter.en.htm

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 18-08-11 8:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I might as well be consistent and add Mayrhofen as a cheaper alternative to St Anton. I think Total do one Chalet there (The Stoanerhof?) which would gibve you nine nights too.

I believe Inghams are doing some 9 night trips too. Not surprising as they own Total.

To join the whole when to go debate, even if OT, I have always found NY to be busy but not very busy with the exception of La Plagne which was a complete nightmare. Only place I've skied and there are signs half way down the queues telling you 10 mins from here!

And my wife dislocated her shoulder on day one so won't be going back Wink
snow report
dkirkuk, St Anton, 100% recommended.................. many times there for New Year and every one a gem! Best days skiing is ALWAYS new years day, hangover and a few steady runs in the morning and a blast on the fresh powder in the afternoon, all the hardcore partyers are still in their beds even after lunch. New Years eve is always great too, the expectation of the party and the craic on the slopes is brilliant, early finish, big party in Mooswirt.................aaah! Days are short, cold and drinking/ partying is hardcore, but always in good spirit!

New Years week is not a quiet time, unlike UK where it quietens down on 2nd, the Germans have all week off and dont go back to work until 8th/ 9th so be aware it could be busy. My preference is to ski the week before and do a Xmas/ New Year 9/10 days (subject to budget), its usually really quiet (and brilliant) over Xmas, very festive and chilled (and quiet on the slopes) and the crowds start arriving 28th/ 29th ready for New Year. Even then its OK so long as you get up reasonably early, the party animals dont generally!

Also skied in Val D'Isere and Tignes, and 3V over New Year, and IMO not the same at all, much better in Austria. Kitzbuhel also fantastic, as I guess will be most Tirol resorts.

Enjoy Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy