Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Virus attack?

Poster: A snowHead
I opened a link in Stanton's post, and was presented with a pop-up window, purportedly emanating from Mozilla Firefox, that told me I was under attack and listing six viruses. It invited me to click on something to remove them. I didn't. Instead, I closed the pop-up, and closed the browser window, and ran an AVG scan. AVG reported no viruses. What should I make of that?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Disable pop-ups in your web browser, that should solve the problem. Unless you actually believe the pop-up?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Same thing happened to me!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
prob a hijacker get malwarebytes and run a scan AV's dont always pick up all Malware.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is probably the Muslims.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A common style of "naughty" website (or a compromised website) puts up a message saying you have a virus (even though there is none) and inviting you to install their anti-virus software. Their software is, of course, not anti-virus but it probably install their own software that compromises your computer by installing a virus or other nasty software. Another instance of you should only install software from places you trust.

I would suggest running your trusted virus checker every day for the next few days, also to watch your computer for any unusual behaviour. Maybe run task-manager and look for programs you do not know or for network activity when the computer is otherwise not meant to be doing anything.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Download Malwarebytes to a usb stick, boot your PC in safe mode and install and run/scan the Malware application. As above, AV does not always pick these spyware programs up.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Microsoft Security Essentials is my Windoze AV of choice.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It turned out I already had mbam on the computer. I ran a quick scan. Again nothing. I'll run a full scan at bedtime. Meanwhile I am not going to open any links posted by stanton.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I might be returning to Chrome anyway. I downloaded a Flash update today, and Chrome seems to be working OK at the moment. It seems to be faster than Firefox, and it has a cleaner presentation.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It'll be a compromised website, trying to trick you in to installing malware. Some of those are particularly clever too.

Funny when I get a windows looking popup telling me I have 6 windows viruses... on my Linux PC Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
planeurge wrote:
It turned out I already had mbam on the computer. I ran a quick scan. Again nothing. I'll run a full scan at bedtime. Meanwhile I am not going to open any links posted by stanton.

I'm willing to bet a million pounds, an actual million pounds, that this wasn't any wrongdoing on the part of stanton.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr Technique wrote:
planeurge wrote:

I'm willing to bet a million pounds, an actual million pounds, that this wasn't any wrongdoing on the part of stanton.

but not opening any of his links is right on so many levels
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I opened the link just fine, no problems other than the article being average.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am not sure I did mean to imply wrongdoing. I think I meant just an injudicious choice of websites. And Elle_J says they had the same experience.
latest report
Oh, and crashwave shock has just flashed again. So it's back to Firefox.
snow report
The Register has an article about recent attacks on websites, attacks designed to promote rogue anti-virus packages. See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/31/lizamoon_mass_injection_attack/
ski holidays
Has anybody looked at the new googlemail package. Worth spending a couple of minutes on, it might be the future of email.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy