Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet Cam Captures Snowboarder While Buried Alive In Tree Well

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.krcrtv.com/news/27323338/detail.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nasty.

I spent an hour in a tree well at Sunshine Village a few years ago. Fortunately I was upright, pressed against the tree trunk with my knees bent and the ski tails uparound my shoulders. Eventually I managed to release the bindings with my hands and extracated myself. I wasn't in danger of suffocating but I was bloody uncomfortable.

Edit. Didn't have a mobile with me either. End Edit.

It recently struck me that this is one situation where Recco Transponder thingies would be useful, where there is no immediate danger of suffocating, but a skier is incapacitated and hidden from sight.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never seen tree-wells mentioned in Europe. I suppose we don't get enough of that really light powder.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I wasn't in danger of suffocating but I was bloody uncomfortable.

Spud9, that sounds terrifying. Shocked Were you on your own?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, I was skiing with a group of others, but no one was nearby when I went into the tree well. They just assumed they'd missed me at some point on the mountain. no doubt they'd have raised the alarm when I didn't make it back to the car park after the lifts shut.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A few NARSID deaths the past week in the Tahoe area after epic storms.

Been badly in a treewell once, fortuntately flipped myself head up as I went in but still struggle against gravity to unclip skis then had to brace myself against trunk to climb out. Took well over 20 mins to extracate without a single passer by so I'd have been another to the tally.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have only skied/boarded in the middle of trees on a handful of occasion, but had never realised the danger of tree wells... Shocked

Some scary stories here..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, very scary stories - the buddy system used by heli-skiers should obviously be important for everyone in these circumstances.

I ski regularly in trees (I love it) but, except one holiday in Canada, only in Europe. Does it ever happen in Europe? I've never heard of it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've had something similar in Alpe d'Huez. I was some way behind our group when I spotted them on the other side of a line of trees. They stopped, saw me and waited. I headed directly towards them aiming for the largest gap between the trees. As I got there I suddenly sank up to my waist in really soft powder and had to take my skis off and flail my way out - much to the amusement of the others!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
altis, you took your skis off? That should have made you sink in much more Puzzled

I must say I've generally found snow amoung trees better than most because it is usually not wind affected and have been curious that I've never found the tree hole phenomenon in Europe or had guides warn of it. (The heli skiing guides in Canada rightly did warned us)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can get tree wells in Europe as well, but not as common as in the US. My son was skiing St Foy a couple of seasons ago and the girl he was off piste with went down a rock well. Not good she bounced off the rock and the snow on the way down.

Just spotted this one about tree wells, not nice to watch

http://youtube.com/v/0jvEYzh_1Sg&feature=player_embedded
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski, amazing - and sobering - video, thanks for posting.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
can someone please explain to me what it is/how it is formed etc, i dont get it Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, Lots of snow such that lower branches of tree (or even complete smaller trees) are covered, as snowpack accumulates, the snow lying on branches creates significant voids in the snowpackwhich collapse with skier/boarder weight. Or snow drifting up against tree trunks without packing down underneath.

As well as the buddy system it is highly recommended to have a whistle on your zipper near your mouth. In my case my tumble was off a short rat run through the trees. I had a whistle which I hope I'd have been in a position to use but just don't know.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
livetoski wrote:
the girl he was off piste with went down a rock well. Not good she bounced off the rock and the snow on the way down.

Oh yes, of course I know rock wells. They are not only caused by overhangs but also the heating of the rock by the sun melting the adjacent snow, and the snow piled against the rock pealing away under its own weight leaving a gap. I've been briefly a bit stuck in one or two small ones - though not dangerously so.

Tree wells are simply caused by the tree branches shielding the area underneath from direct snow fall and shedding any snow outwards. Only some of the lightest snow drifts in to partially fill the hole, but leaving voids underneath.
snow report
on a positive note (is there such a thing on snowheads- is Lizzard about) I bet the ski patrol were really chuffed. I would have been - made their season worthwhile.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder,

When you fall in you disturb the snowpack around the well and the branches of the tree so the snow falls in on top. The more you struggle the more snow that falls..
latest report
Sh-iiiiiiiiii-eeeeettttt
Makes the few times me or my mates have been floundering in the occassional tree well look positively tame.
Worth watching the videos, and reading the comments.
Lots of lessons to be learned.

For me, this was the most informative video, as an off-piste skier;
http://youtube.com/v/0jvEYzh_1Sg&feature=player_embedded
Thanks for finding it, livetoski

What I noticed most was...
(1) EVERYONE on the group should have a shovel ( not just one in five ! )
(2) Now I know why I ski with a whistle on my pack. Its not just posing ;=)
(3) reinforces the importance of the "ski-buddy" system. So there's always someone looking out for you. And you for them.
(3) ..and maybe I'll carry some rope with me too.

Sobering.

enuf of that gloom n doom. Let's PARRRRRRTY snowHead
snow report
livetoski, video was very interesting - particularly that most of the party seem to stand around being a bit clueless but I've always suspcted shock or stress does that in avy situations. Couldn't quite work out who started whistling - the guy down the hole or someone else
ski holidays
Tomahawk Tone wrote:
Sh-iiiiiiiiii-eeeeettttt
Makes the few times me or my mates have been floundering in the occassional tree well look positively tame.
Worth watching the videos, and reading the comments.
Lots of lessons to be learned.

What I noticed most was...
(1) EVERYONE on the group should have a shovel ( not just one in five ! )
(2) Now I know why I ski with a whistle on my pack. Its not just posing ;=)
(3) reinforces the importance of the "ski-buddy" system. So there's always someone looking out for you. And you for them.
(3) ..and maybe I'll carry some rope with me too.

Sobering.

enuf of that gloom n doom. Let's PARRRRRRTY snowHead

From prior practice of being head first deep in a tree well, neither 1), 2), or 3) (the first 3)) help all that much.
1) See 3).
2) I have a whistle attached to my season pass. Trying find and blow it (or even thinking about doing so) was not high on my list.
3) Despite only being a little bit up the hill from the rest of the group I was with, deep powder made it pretty near impossible for them to get to me even though they could see the tree wiggling I was stuck in.

More useful points I found (and I've practiced this more than once!! Shocked snowHead ) are:
- don't go in in the first place. Choose a line that doesn't take you into the tree if you fall.
- Getting your skis off makes things considerably easier, it helps dramatically if you've still got a pole and can work out how to get to your bindings when you are hanging upside down and can't see them, perhaps a trial run is needed Happy
- Don't panic, you are probably going to be okay so calmly squash the snow down above/around you
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy