Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gotama size?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm pretty set on getting some volkl gotamas. i'm 5'7 and weigh 78kg. Ski mainly off psite and fairly aggressive with my skiing.

I'm unsure on the size. stuck between 170's and 178's.

Any thoughts? would the rocker make the 178 shorter to turn?

I'm also thinking of mounting some marker barons. would this set-up work?

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Page23, 186.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At 5 foot 9 and 74 kg, on anything offpiste I wish I'd got 186 rather than 176 Big Troubles (I was lighter when I got them lol), although as an allround ski inc piste 176 is ok, so factoring in rocker I reckon you should defo get the 186 goats. Should be ace with barons.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 29-03-11 14:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am a bit taller and a bit heavier (especially in my boots, pack etc) and love the 186 + baron combo.

Best piste ski I have ever owned NehNeh
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies. interesting. you guys obvioulsy don't think the 186 too long then!? what about for off psite through trees. do you think i'd still be ok with them at this length?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi
I bought the 2010-11 Gotamas with Marker Barons and it is a very good set-up if you spend a reasonable time off piste and wish to do some "slack" country touring....i.e. just a few hours rather than for days on end as there are better touring skis for this ! The Gotamas are awesome both on and off-piste and I have skied them for around 18 days in Europe this season in ALL snow conditions (and with one day touring with a guide who was impressed by how light they actually were !). I am a fan !

FYI - They ski short....hence the comments above
I am 1m 81cms tall and weigh 95kgs (on a good day !)
I took the 186cms and these are perfect........

Off-Piste through trees shouldn't be a problem as they are very nimble to turn, but you will also have the advantage when carving freeride turns off-piste in bowls and when you are on-piste ! (especially if you are an aggressive skier)....
In short you can discount the 170cms straight away and need to decide whether to back yourself on the 186s....

My challenge now is to buy some skins that fit properly.... snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Page23, yes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Page23 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. interesting. you guys obvioulsy don't think the 186 too long then!? what about for off psite through trees. do you think i'd still be ok with them at this length?

Twin tips = minus 5cm from length, rocker = minus 10cm from length. Apart from deep snow, where length doesn't really affect the turn size so much.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
oooh, 186's... never had a ski that long and just can't seem to get my head around. again, thanks for the input. if i went 178 just to be safe, does that make me a douche?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe wink FWIW, my 190 rockered skis are easier to make small turns on than the 176's mentioned above.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HTL wrote:

FYI - They ski short....hence the comments above
I am 1m 81cms tall and weigh 95kgs (on a good day !)
I took the 186cms and these are perfect........

My challenge now is to buy some skins that fit properly.... snowHead

so for you though, these are 5cm longer than your height. for me the 178's are 8cm longer than my height. Would this be comparable to your set-up?

Also, i'm still unsure on the bindings. i really like marker bindings oversall but haven't done alot of skinning so not sure whether it's worth it or not? although, i'm almost totally off-piste these days so may be more useful option in the pong term?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any way for you to demo them?

As for the bindings, the barons are great for normal everyday skiing with the odd skin to a pretty line. For me the flexibility of that having the option to skin rather than bootpack is useful, if in reality you are unlikely to do much skinning, save the money, get normal bindings, and suck up the bootpack if/when you want to.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm unable to demo now as have just returned from my last trip of the season. at the time i was looking at some black crows and stockli's but on reading around on my return came across positive reviews of this ski. i am fairly happy to buy before trying, especially as some places are offering good prices on them but the length issue is twisting my melon man.

thanks for the binding advice btw.

also, i've just noticed reading through the previous posts how bad my typing is... Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Unless they really are too cheap to pass up on I wouldn’t buy without trying them first. IMO you are better off spending more money finding the right skis than potentially buying new skis every year until you find the right pair.

I have just tried some Czars in 184 (wishing that I had the bigger size to try for comparison) and something similar from Atomic. I wasn’t that keen on either. I am 5ft 10, and about 75kg.
ski holidays
Not sure about that. I've never demoed skis before buying, but have loved all the ones I've bought. Obsessive/excessive research works, if you know what you want.
latest report
bit of a punter question, but if i buy the skis and the bindings, where in the uk can i get them assemebled as i cant seem to find thge ski/binding combo i'm after.

p.s. you're right about the obsessive/excessive research... Laughing
latest report
Any ski shop should do it, probs £20-30. If you buy either item in person from a shop, take the other item in too and they should mount 'em for free.
snow report
Don't let me put you off. If you have found what you want get them.
latest report
Elston wrote:
Don't let me put you off. If you have found what you want get them.

don't worry dude, it's sound advice and much appreciated.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
Any ski shop should do it, probs £20-30. If you buy either item in person from a shop, take the other item in too and they should mount 'em for free.

Thanks.
ski holidays
ok, this is driving me slightly crazy now.

i'm thinking, in addition to my original post details, that i do like to put in tight turns here and there, especially amongst tight trees, couloirs, etc.

am i really going to notice much difference between the 178 and 186? just don't want to end up with more ski than i can handle/need. after all, i'm only 170cm tall. also, although not an AT binding, i have found a good deal wih marker griffon bindings. any thoughts?

sorry to go on, but this is becoming somewhat of a mission now!!! Confused
ski holidays

bigger is always better

you know it!
snow report
I'm feeling your angst "Page23"....I've been there!

If you are hesitating then go for the 186....you can never have too much float. The difference is only 8cms ..not a lot in the context of trees with a full length rocker....it skis SHORT !!!!!
If you have a good price for the Griffon, then go for this too.....FYI, I got a deal on the Barons (only €30 more than the Griffon) so I took the plunge !!!!
ski holidays
thanks HTL. i will not be skiing with a quiver so this would be my main go-to ski. in anything less than powder would i struggle with the 186's?
latest report
I don't think you would "struggle" as such, but it would be a "challenging" day of skiing if you remained on the hard pack all day with the Goats. For iced-up/hard-pack days where I know it is piste-based only then I keep a pair of K2 Apache Recons which are great too.....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy