Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing at Cairngorm, Scotland for the weekend

Poster: A snowHead
The Ballachulish hotel is a much better offer for Glencoe, £30 DBB per person
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great report Cathy, I just wanted to flag up though, for anybody reading this and put off by the cost, or wanting to moan that they can ski abroad for the same price, that the sleeper can be done a lot cheaper.

The sleeper sells "bargain berths" which are the proper beds (not the reclining seats) from just £19 single. They go on sale about 6 weeks before travel but you do have to be quick to get the cheapest rates.
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/caledonian-sleeper-bargain-berths.html

If you are driving up you can also take advantage of some great cheap but warm accommodation available called tipis or wigwams (basically heated sheds with mattresses and mod cons such as TV, fridge - you just bring your sleeping bag). They are up in Grantown (for Cairngorm) and also in Duror (handy for Glencoe and Nevis). See http://www.wigwamholidays.com/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wigan, the thread planning the trip http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68286 has been running since October. Why do you wait until the week after it has been completed to mention that you know how to get cheaper tickets?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, wigan's info on bargain berths is useful for any snowheads planning trips in the future, and I think she should be thanked for it Very Happy . I presume she hadn't looked at the other thread.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink, yes - on reflection my post does read a little ungracious - wigan, sorry if that was the case, some helpful trips for future travellers!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bergmeister, thanks - great to meet you and hope you have another good time this weekend! Very Happy

That Ray Zorro's so rude Toofy Grin Thanks for the info wigan - now I had read initially about the bargain berths but there just didn't seem to be any for Friday or Sunday evenings. Perhaps because they sold out so quickly! I think also they were released after our ones, so if you waited to try to get a bargain berth and failed, then ours would have been very expensive. But certainly something to bear in mind Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RayZorro because as Alastair guessed, I’ve not been following the minutiae of your holiday plans since October, only March when it was too late wink (and when I did post some advice to questions re the named sleeper tickets and hire shop recommendations). Bargain berths are no secret, as Cathy noticed, they’re often advertised by a link on the main sleeper booking page.

I posted as Cathy said
Quote:
this is what it would have cost, if we managed to get the cheapest priced sleeper berths.

I didn’t want that to put off people who stumble on this thread in the future as with a bit of luck on booking timing they can be had for 1/3 . Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wigan, yes good point - I'll amend my earlier post to reflect this. And yes, there was a paragraph and link on the main booking page to the bargain berths.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roga wrote:

nbt, yeah get that TR written you lazy get Wink

Done it. Need to sort out some pics to go with it, but they'll have to wait as there's a lovely warm fire downstairs...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=70789#1767983
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Bergmeister, thanks - great to meet you and hope you have another good time this weekend!

We did thanks, Cathy!

We drove up Friday night (with Mrs B, Mountainaddict and Mrs M), stopped off en route for an excellent Indian meal in Pitlochry (near the station), then drove on to spend the night at Newtonmore.

As forecast, the rain was lashing down until mid morning on Saturday so we had a look around ski shops (where Mrs Mountainaddict was hoping to buy touring boots - no luck though..) before heading to the slopes for the afternoon, by which time the rain had stopped and the skies were brightening.

The ski area was almost deserted when we arrived (maybe the morning weather had put off a few Toofy Grin ) and things were looking good.

After (very nice) sausage sarnies in the Daylodge we skinned up (from the car park) via the Fiaicaill Ridge tow track, up the ridge itself and then (as a further storm closed in behind us) climbed diagonally right from the col, eventually reaching the summit cairn in the fog and rain. The storm cleared after a few minutes so we descended south east(ish) on some nice snow to the north of the Ptarmigan tow, to reach a gully descent that Mountainaddict & Mrs M had skiied last season and recommended.

It was not disappointing - a 200m (vertical) descent on great, untracked spring snow. Guess who got 1st tracks? Toofy Grin

By the time we took our skis off at the bottom of the descent the rain was lashing again and we took a good dousing. Well worth it though, although our skins didn't think so and refused to stick properly to our skis... Sad We then (frustratingly) had to make do with shouldering our skis (up the gulley we'd just descended) as Mountainaddict and Mrs M continued skinning on their still-adhering skins! We then managed to half stick the skins back on as the rain stopped and we limped up the last 20 minutes of the climb out with skins flapping and trailing pathetically Sad

We are relatively new to this touring lark but (after completing 3 guided tours abroad) are beginning to strike out on our own in the Cairngorms. So far so good - until our skin problems last weekend! Shocked We are wondering if re-gluing the skins would be a good idea as they are a bit old Puzzled

By the time we reached the top of the Ptarmigan tow the ski area was closed and we had a brilliant descent down a deserted White Lady before picking our way down the Daylodge Tow track, which was broken but good fun nevertheless. Lots of heather hopping but better than a hike down Very Happy

Then back to the car and a 5 hour drive home. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz but well worth the trip! Very Happy

We are hoping the snow holds up there until the weekend...wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bergmeister, that does sound great! If a little damp wink I was very impressed with your skinning up when we met you, although not being a 'skinner' was wondering why people do it when there are lifts running - I can understand to reach non-lift served terrain but seems like a lot of hard work otherwise. I was getting into feelings of being at one with the wild mountain environment, walking and skiing the natural terrain. And then I thought perhaps it just saves on the lift pass Toofy Grin

But driving for five hours after such a fab day - wow! Madeye-Smiley Hope there won't too many zzzzz coming from the driver's seat Toofy Grin You must have been shattered by the time you got home but what a fab way to spend a weekend. snowHead I hope there may be some snow next weekend....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skins just don't stick if they get wet. I doubt that the skins need re-glueing. I am told, though I can't vouch for their efficacy, that there is a new type of skins which work by different principles and still stick when wet.

I gather Glenshee and Lecht have closed and Nevis might or might not open for the last time next weekend, and Glencoe may re-open for Easter week.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clipskisn - the way forward (havent tried em yet, but are on the list once a bit more established - I HATE fannyin about with sticky skins blowing all over the shop trying to get em on and off rolling eyes )

http://www.clipskins.com/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy,

When we met you we skinned up a valley to the (skiers) left of the Fiaicaill Ridge, which was lovely and quiet and away from the lifts. It felt like a real mountain experience.

And last Saturday (although the lifts were in sight) we climbed a ridge without lifts and saw the ski area from a completely new perspective and it felt well away from it all. The skiing "over the back" was fantastic and felt like a bit of a wilderness experience - quite exciting really for us (inexperienced) DIY ski tourers! Very Happy

Last year we skinned up the Ciste area of Cairngorm for some excellent, steep skiing in a corrie on that side of the mountain. All in all Cairngorm feels like a comfortable place to start our unguided ski touring career as there seem to be some excellent tours within striking distance of the ski area, so in safety terms we feel a bit happier with that.

We aren't skinflints - honest! wink Our ulterior motive is to get some training in for an Easter ski tour in Austria - a 6 night (guided) hut to hut trip in the Silvretta on 16th April, where there will definitely be no lifts! Can't wait!

I'd definitely recommend that any keen off piste skiers who enjoy mountain walking (like we do) give ski touring a go. For us it's the perfect combo - a climb/hike in a fantastic mountain environment, with the added bonus of a ski down! Very Happy

We first tried it 4 years ago when 4 of us hired a guide in Chamonix and did a 2 day ski tour to see if we'd like it. We've never looked back since! Very Happy

From what's been said about the skins it looks like we were just unlucky with the rain at the time we had to fit them - although we are slightly concerned that Scotland could give us a bit more of that in the future!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bergmeister, That does sound great! Hope you have a lovely time in the Silvretta & the snow is good snowHead
snow report
barry wrote:
clipskisn - the way forward (havent tried em yet, but are on the list once a bit more established - I HATE fannyin about with sticky skins blowing all over the shop trying to get em on and off rolling eyes )

http://www.clipskins.com/
Interesting but not what I meant. The ones a friend has use a different principle of adhesion rather than clips.
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:

When we met you we skinned up a valley to the (skiers) left of the Fiaicaill Ridge, which was lovely and quiet and away from the lifts. It felt like a real mountain experience.

And last Saturday (although the lifts were in sight) we climbed a ridge without lifts and saw the ski area from a completely new perspective and it felt well away from it all. The skiing "over the back" was fantastic and felt like a bit of a wilderness experience - quite exciting really for us (inexperienced) DIY ski tourers! Very Happy

I had my first forays into Sneachda on Sunday but as they were solo missions, I wasn't really very sure of best routes in and out but I needn't have worried about looking at the map as so long as you stayed high enough & the visibility remains good, it'd be so obvious. Although it was quite a long hoof out because the snowpack had been decimated, it's surprisingly near yet feels so remote from the ski area doesn't it Smile ...

Multiple choice entries into Sneachda ...

Looking back to the coire ...

Here's the upper part of the Fiacaill ridge which divides the ski area from Coire an t'Sneachda ...
snow report
Quote:

Interesting but not what I meant. The ones a friend has use a different principle of adhesion rather than clips.

You probaly mean these:

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/geckogluelessskins-p-7298.html

I've not tried them though.

I've never (touch wood) had problems with my skins, though the glue is getting a bit minimal. I think the tail clip helps though.
ski holidays
Dave Horsley, yes, those were the ones.

moffatross, I'm kicking myself I didn't do those when I was there on the snowheads Saturday morning, instead of bothering with the rather tame Headwall.
snow report
Quote:

instead of bothering with the rather tame Headwall...
Shocked Toofy Grin
snow conditions
mountainaddict, if I'd my skins with me I could have done with them going down the headwall - it was THAT slow that day!
snow conditions
mountainaddict, Winterhighland, Headwall was okay higher up but really sticky lower down with the fresh snow wetting up - we walked up though rather than skinned Toofy Grin
latest report
I had skinned up twice in the morning by myself. The first time I did Headwall (the sticky stuff was only right at the bottom then) and the second time kept to the left side of it and considered continuing towards the shutes moffatross pictures but didn't know what I was going to, or if there was snow to get back afterwards so didn't go. Wish now I had but instead I walked across some rocks and went to a much steeper slope than Headwall in deep shadow just right of some rocks (slope at right angles to headwall but ending at the same lift) and made the only track there. Only about 5 turns but quite fun. In the afternoon I returned to Headwall with the others.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy