Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boots Feel so tight!

Poster: A snowHead
hey guys!

my first post WOO HOO Smile

basically, i have really got into my skiing and i bought some boots yesterday from snow and rock.. salomon impact 8 cs.
when i was in france last week and i was using rental boots they were size 26.5, snow and rock measured me and said 27.5?!?!
so i went ahead with the 27.5 and all went well.. the boots seemed fine. I go home and tried them on again, the right boot now feels looser to get into but quite painful around the ankle but the left boot is a snug fit getting into the boot and i nice snug fit inside, no pains?

what should i do? im not going skiing til' the beginning of next season so if i leave it and then go back it may be too late?

hope you can help!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
not an uncommon problem - first; mondo sizing is easy: it's the longest distance from you heel to the end of your big toe - draw round your foot on a piece of A4 - holding the pencil vertically, and then measure it - I use a 26 salomon boot and the measurement is 26.5. Second, do you remember the make and model of your rental boot, since if it fitted, then just get a pair of those. Three - liners pack down; the rental boots would most likely have packed down liners and so a smaller size would have fitted - your new ones will also pack down, but painful they should not be. Four - snow and rock are good people and can adjust boots in various ways. Five - what kind of tightness are you doing on the buckles? this can indicate whether a shell is too bog on not - shouldn't need to do them up that tightly (first or second notch) since that creates pinch points. Six - if you live near Oxford go and see Colin in Bicester - he'll tell you whether you have the right shape and size for your feet. Seven - different makes are VERY different in shape - lange tend to be narrow, salomon mid-size; head large. But individual models can be different too. Sort it now since S&R may not replace them when new stock for next year has come in.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Firstly welcome to snowHead

Some real boot people will be along soon to help you out im sure. But in the meantime Very Happy

Walking around the house is possibly not the best way to check your boots fit. Your boots need to be skiied on so get yourself down to the nearest snowdome or dryslope and get some hours on the boots. You did not say where the pain was on your ankle?

S&R have a returns policy they call the fit guarentee so if they are not right you can take them back and either get a refund or have some more work done on the boots.

valais2, makes some good points about the tightness of your buckling, you should have a snug fitting boot with the buckles thumb tight. You dont want to be on the last couple of latches.

If you take the liners out of your boots and place your feet inside with the toes touching the front of the shell how much distance is there between your heel and the back of the boot?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
claydontoby92, I would go back to Snow and Rock and tell them your concerns and I would do it soon as IIRC their boot fitting 'guarantee' only applies in the season in which you buy the boots (unless you buy in the summer). As we are very close to the end of the season I would get this sorted with them sooner rather than later. Next season you will be 'out of guarantee'. Good luck.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for the reply guys!

the left boot fist really nice and snug... no pressure points.
however the right boot on inner and outter parts on the ball point on the ankle it feels like there is a lot of pressure/strain put onto it.

i'm going to pop back to the snow and rock store, a different one in london however because i wasnt 100% happy with the service i recieved at the kensington store.

what do you guys think?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
claydontoby92, if you weren't happy with the service at the Kensington shop, why did you buy the boots?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
im not 100% sure, the guy knew his stuff, just didnt seem interested in being there
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
....I'd say it is indeed worthwhile going to another branch, getting a 'second opinion' on them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yeah, the left boot fits so well thats the annoying thing!

thanks for the reply dude, much appreciated!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Who needs boot fitters? Maybe this is a reason for buying in resort. Razz
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Firstly, do not assume that your feet are identical in shape and size. Secondly, your alignment may not be the same on both legs.

Do yourself a favour and go find yourself a decent boot-fitter - perhaps somebody here can recommend somebody. I am in Australia, so no help. You want somebody like Rohan at http://www.melbournefootclinic.com.au/our-podiatrists/. Surely there is somebody like that in England. It will cost, but it will save a lot of pain and you will ski a lot better.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ulmerhutte wrote:
You want somebody like Rohan at http://www.melbournefootclinic.com.au/our-podiatrists/. Surely there is somebody like that in England. It will cost, but it will save a lot of pain and you will ski a lot better.

Sounds like Colin @ CEM in Bicester as mentioned previously
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My advice is:

1. Given the guarantee will run out around any time now go back ASAP and get a refund, I hear too many stories about people being led up and down the garden path for weeks, sometimes months at a time by certain shops with fit guarantees and when they finally decide to get their money back it's too late - the cynical may say this may be why such a guarantee is offered, I couldn't possibly comment! *

2. Book a session with Colin in Bicester (Solutions 4 Feet) and see what he recommends and at what size (or go to another recommended fitter perhaps whilst you're in a resort) and get whichever boots he suggests fitted there (which, of course you may pay a bit extra for but believe me it's well worth it!)

(* I was in this position a few years ago myself at a different branch of the same chain, slight difference was the bootfitter definitely tried his best but his best just wasn't up to it, he was a lovely bloke who I bumped into a year or so later when he'd done a season or two in NZ as a fitter. He said he'd learnt loads more about fitting there and joked with me that he was clueless when he tried to do my boots - not so amusing for me at the time after some ruined trips due to severe boot pain I have to say! If you wish take that as an example of how well trained he was by said chain of shops ... a few other folk at the same branch tried their hand too on my subsequent visits to try to sort out the various problems and they also failed utterly.)

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 5-04-11 22:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, Very sound advice and good inisghts into levels of training and commitment to quality. A word of caution re boot fitting in resort, it can be really uneven - some shops in resort cynically think that there's no way that you will be back if you have a problem; others are really good - but very difficult to know which is which - relying on instructors' recommendations as to who to use can be good - but then only if they are trustworthy themselves - see instructor recommendations in the other posts on this site. I know which shops in Valais are good - but it's not all of them by any means - in England I would trust Colin in Bicester (Solutions for Feet) and Simon in Cambridge (Ski Exchange)...any other recommendations.....?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
claydontoby92, I'd take them back if the guarantee doesn't carry across "seasons". There's no way you'll know unitl you ski in them for a week.

As a point of general observation (and being polite), Snow and Rock have a tendancy towards "comfort" boot fitting as against "performance" boot fitting - so they'll tend to size you up as (even if they know it or not) that's what the majority of their (one week a year) customers would prefer.

The year before last I went into the Covent Garden branch to try on some boots that were on the BASI offer and was told that I needed size 28s. I'm actually in a size 26.5.

To be fair to them, an aggressive boot fit causes them more problems than a cautious boot fit. It took 4 weeks for my boots to be "comfortable". I use the quotes because they still aren't, and will never be, truly comfortable. One a good day they're fine. On a bad day I still get foot cramps. But they are precise and that's what I want out of them.

Not many of Snow and Rock's customers would put up with the pain and discomfort of a true performance fit.
snow report
FlyingStantoni, ...good post...I use a 25 to a 26.5 depending on what I am doing and the time of year. If I am out all day in the coldest weather there's no way I would wear my 25s, since after a couple of hours or so the outside toes on my right foot go really numb (despite the boot being blown out there), with my left foot following with the same effect a couple of hours later - and there's a genuine risk of damage to my circulation, or worse. If I was climbing, then such as effect would be very bad news in terms of frostbite, but when skiing, since I have recourse to a lift ride or quick blast to the car park, rather than a ten hour walk-out, there's no severe problem. This is not melodrama, it's just a fact that restricting blood circulation to your extremities when you in the Alpine environment is a BAD IDEA.

So on deep winter days it's my high volume tecnicas in 26.5. For days when I am standing around with my kids then I use some Salomon 26.5s - less volume and the volume is further reduced by an additional 2.5mm hard rubber insole in the shell (not in the inner boot) - but for days when I want a couple of hours of REALLY precise fit that's when the 25s go on, and they've been carefully fitted by Colin at PFP. My feet measure at 26.5 pretty much exactly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy