Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best ski in/ski out in Canada?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, does anyone have any recommendations for ski in ski out accommodation in Canada? Have looked at Big White but heard some adverse reports regarding fog and visibility, also considering Sunshine Village in Banff. Any suggestions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whistler has loads of ski in/out properties.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avoid Sunshine.. not because of all the stuff that has happened this year but just that the resort is 30 minutes up a gondola so while it might be ski-in; ski-out there isn't much else to do in the evening. (Note - have never stayed at Sunshine so this might be wrong)

What else are you looking for - nightlife? type of terrain; how long?

Panorama and Fernie both have ski-in / ski-out. Lake Louise has stuff close. Canadian resorts don't really focus on that aspect as much as in Europe.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jayjay_75, Fernie, almost anywhere on the hill itself - Lizzard Creek has it's own lift virtually outside the door. Panorama is less so but all of the upper village condos are about 30 seconds - I minute walk to the Mile One express or to a ski down to it.

sweaman2, You are right about the hotel actually on the hill at Sunshine, once you are up there you are stuck.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We skied a day at Panorama and I liked the look of the accommodation there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
KH has ski in/ski out. It all depend what your appetite for nightlife is.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Slightly more time to write..

Most Canadian resorts have some form of ski-in / ski-out available. However by and large the ski resorts are not situated in the town / village so you generally have to make a choice. Ski-in / ski-out by the resort but accept that minimal night life or stay 10 / 15 minutes down in the valley and have more choice of restaurants / hotels etc. The one exception I know of to this is Whistler but even then a lot of Whistler acc. is quite a long way from the lifts. This is a brief summary that I know of...

Sunshine - On the slope but very isolated (30 minutes up a gondola)
Lake Louise - Hotels are 10 minutes away with courtesy shuttles in general.
Fernie - Some stuff by the slopes. Town is 15 minutes away
Panorama - Majority of resort is close with some ski-in / ski-out. Quiet resort though but more European in design than some others.
Kicking Horse - 20 minutes from Golden up a fairly winding road - only ever stayed down in Golden
Revelstoke - 15 minutes from the town.
Whistler - Plenty of stuff at base of resort.

In general if I'm going ski-in / ski-out for a weekend at say Fernie I aim for one of the condos and book with some friends. We take all our own food / drink and book a 2 or 3 bedroom condo by the slopes. We won't go out in the evenings. If it is just me + wife we'll stay in the towns as we want to go out for restaurants etc.

Depending on your length of time etc and what you want I would go Fernie and Panorama as having the most choice of acc and other options near the slopes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the advice, there's gonna be 6 of us, primarily interested in the skiing with après an after thought for 10 days. Mix of boarders and skiers all of a high piste standard and a bit rough around the edges off piste.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I'm reading correctly that you need plenty of groomers, it'll probably be WB.

If you are looking to improve your off trail then Panorama (check snow conditions prior), Fernie and KH, in that order for choice/qty of on slope accom, IIRC. Panorama don't groom much; Fernie more so; you don't go to KH for the groomers.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jayjay_75, I'd recommend Fernie, the ski-in is great, there's a bit to do in resort in the evening and the town is a short ride away, and your offpiste will improve DRAMATICALLY
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sweaman2 has most of your options covered - Red Mtn also has some quite swanky ski in condos at the base these days, Silver Star is pretty much all ski in/out, Kimberley has ski in/out but highly dependent on whether hill is for you. Whistler's the only place for ski in/out (or near enough) plus substantial nightlife within walking distance.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone, great response.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jayjay_75, Fernie is great. Nightlife in the town if you want it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy