Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: The season hasn't been that bad really. Discuss.

Poster: A snowHead
Tempted to say I'd rather stay in bed than ski crud/mashed spud..............................

Soooo disappointing.

This year was/is poor no ifs, no buts.

To be fair it is always what you make of it though. Good mates and a laugh gets a thumbs up always.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd agree that the snow fall doesn't appear to have really arrived in the French alps this year. BBC weather has just reported that the UK has had the driest March for 50 years! I suspect that's also been the case in Europe. No rain = no snow. Plenty of previous reports of ice and rocks, which is exactly what we experienced in January. We made the best of it but, when it got to a stage of skiing another icy run or stopping, the pool and beer beckoned. wink Lightweights, aren't we! Toofy Grin
For some of us the season isn't over with yet. I'm just glad we're going to VT and not one of the lower resorts with runs below 2000m. We have a small chance of there being a base to ski on back to the Oxalys in 2 weeks time. Looking at St Martin (in the same valley) @ 1400m, they have forecast plus temps (day and night) for the next 9 days! With day temps of + 10 deg C, even the pisted snow cannot survive in that. VT is aso now being hit with a thaw at 2000m after the recent snow fall.
Hats off to the pisteurs and resorts who have kept the pistes ski-able. I'm certain that without their efforts everything would have been considerably worse.
As ever, there is still a chance of a cold snap and a dump befor Easter, but we do appear to be receiving 'May like' weather. Already thinking of next year plans.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

we do appear to be receiving 'May like' weather.

Indeed. It's been like late April for much of March (and as we all know, April skiing can be wonderful....). Now moving into May (it said that on our local weather report, actually). Mid April seems likely to be more like early June. Unless there's a big change we've just about seen the last of the overnight re-freezing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arrive in LDA on 9th. Looks as if I'll be spending most of my time between Toura at 2600m and the top at 3600 unless things change that week. Forecast for next week is dreadful (very high temperatures and no snow), looks like about 15°C at resort level when we arrive Shocked

In comparison this is the 4th April last year at resort level, it snowed almost every day for the 10 days we were there.
Les Deux Alpes Easter 2010

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 1-04-11 7:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, well at this rate we had better be ready and all prepared by the beginning of October!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
The westcoast is immense.
Pineapple express is all I need to say! I did 2 months in Fernie, BC some years back and for 3 weeks in late jan / early feb we had heavy rain to the top of the hills and it stayed warm for weeks. Never had conditions that bad in all the skiing I've done in Europe. Currently in Austria (sorry I know it's a french thread) and still skiing down to the valley on piste that are in reasonable condition, even today as it didn't freeze last night and was raining. Hopefully will freeze tonight as skies clear and some snow forecast for early next week. I've made the best of the warm conditions for the last couple of weeks by getting out early and in general enjoying empty hard packed piste with the golden soft spell mid morning. Great time to concentrate on technique, play with different skis, try some drills and top up the tan.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowprincess wrote:
For those of you keen for some statistics......

Borrowing from Chris Angus, Courchevel season 2010/2011 snowfall to date: 195cm

Whistler season 2010/2011 snowfall to date: 1369cm

Squaw valley season 2010/2011 snowfall to date: 1750cm

Snowbird season 2010/2011 snowfall to date: 1381cm

Niseko season 2010/2011 snowfall to date (borrowing from Mike Pow): 1301cm (as of 23rd March)

I'm actually genuinely curious as to why keen off-piste skiers would choose to come to Europe for a ski holiday, particularly one booked in advance. The chances of good snow are so much higher in the Western US and Japan. Even for people not into skiing powder, the pistes are so much better when it actually snows regularly.

I came to Chamonix this season mainly due to the plentiful job opportunities but will be heading elsewhere next winter.

I agree that good off piste conditions, particularly deep powder, are hit or miss for a week holiday- while you chances might be better at Snowbird or in Japan, you are still rolling the dice where ever you go. I think Squaw will set a record for total snow fall this year, but it was pretty dry in Jan & Feb, from what I understand.

I lived in Bourg St. Maurice in 07-08 (a good season for the alps) and have lived in Colorado the last 3 seasons- while I know we got a lot more snow here this season, I got in a lot of good off piste days when I was in Les Arcs. the main advantage I see about the Alps is that a lower % of the skiers go off piste and the huge vertical of some of the resorts over there- if you don't like the conditions at the altitude you are at- you have more of an option to try lower or higher.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

The eastcoast sucks.

The westcoast is immense.

so they say, but then there seem to be a lot of west coast skiers over here too who tell me the conditions are "not all that" back home. One guy has told me he is going to ski the sierras this spring for the first time in a decade rather than Yurope.

I've just had Amazon offer me a job in Seattle and would love to go and live there as there seem to be some fantastic places to ski.

You should take it.

Seattle rains incessantly, but Amazon are about to go head-on with Apple and will make for an entertaining few years.

All that rain makes for mega snow.

Mount Baker gets 2 to 6 times more snow than the Alps.

Kneedeep powda every few days...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold wrote:

I've just had Amazon offer me a job in Seattle and would love to go and live there as there seem to be some fantastic places to ski.

You should take it.
[/quote]

it is actually an error on behalf of Amazon. I've done some freelance work for them in the past.

There is another davidof who has interviewed and got the job with a similar skill set to mine and their HR has obviously got our two resume's confused and offered me the job.

Still I want to see what salary davidof2 has negotiated Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:

it is actually an error on behalf of Amazon. I've done some freelance work for them in the past.

There is another davidof who has interviewed and got the job with a similar skill set to mine and their HR has obviously got our two resume's confused and offered me the job.

Still I want to see what salary davidof2 has negotiated Happy

Time to sue...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
its a dreadful season (broken collar bone obviously the fault of the conditions and not pilot error at all) Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:

so they say, but then there seem to be a lot of west coast skiers over here too who tell me the conditions are "not all that" back home. One guy has told me he is going to ski the sierras this spring for the first time in a decade rather than Yurope.

The attraction for Seppos in Europe is simply that they cannot get the same size and scale of resorts or "big mountains" back home. That's why places like Chamonix/Verbier/La Grave have iconic status to them. Californians seem to be particularly blessed with a climate that produces big wet storms (hence rapid stabilisation of snowpack) yet flips to plenty of sunny days for beautiful spring corn. They don't get blower powder very often but that's a fair tradeoff in my book. However even places like Squaw with big reputations are actually quite small by European standards, and there are so many good skiers that everything is shralped immediately, hence the idea of places where 10 minutes treverse off the lifts can find you an untracked powder valley a week after the last storm sounds like Nirvana to them. There's no doubt that for the dedicated tourer there are fantastic lines available all the way up te Eastern Sierra however.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had the most snow ever this winter with 78cm falling in November/ December 2010. N. Coast of Ireland!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had three good days in Jan in Morzine. It was cold and hard but for an on piste skier we had a good time, helped by good food, beer and company of course. Had to cancel the Feb trip for family reasons so can't comment, although it did seem to pick up on the webcams. Without snow making and good piste bashers there would have been no season in the lower resorts I expect. There was not enough consistent temperture with some snow fall, and so the northern french resorts struggled. Resorts did not close though in mid season (Les Gets closed for a week I think in Jan 2007) but with Easter being late and the lower areas (Les Carroz for example) now closing early the end of the season will be poor income wise for the French. Western Canada has been mentioned, and if it was closer I would go there all the time (we had some great ski ing there during the Olympics - because it was so quiet) but it is too far for me for a week so when we next go I expect we will be back to France anyway
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you're a one week a year holiday Piste skier you can still have a good time - Montgenevre yesterday was so quiet and you move around getting the snow as it turns, Claviere was the same, same friends were over in Sestriere couple days prior to that and enjoyed the conditions and they also did La Grave on Tues and had a good time if only from the top of the glacier to P2.

Here in Serre temps are in the 20's and today we had quite a few lizards coming out to sunbathe.

My daughter and fella came out yesterday and they are both learning to snowboard and conditions are great for that post 11:00 which is good for them as that's about the time they can get to the slopes!

What is really anoying about having done my knee is that I came prepared for this weather bringing my road bike to get some climbs in, and now with a shagged knee it's more frustrating watching the guys climb up to Col du Lautaret in their summer kit!

Not good for ski touring now, as it's just getting too warm, my mate now has been to Gran Paradiso (4012ms) with clients two weeks on the trot and he said was very warm yesterday and that they had to start really early.
snow report
Quote:

my mate now has been to Gran Paradiso (4012ms) with clients two weeks on the trot and he said was very warm yesterday and that they had to start really early.

What's the Gran Paradiso area like for touring in the summer (emphasis more on fun in the mountains rather than great downhill skiing)? I spent a couple of months kayaking out in the Aosta valley summer 2009, and one of my mates there who did a bit of climbing/mountaineering said there was plenty of snow and wished he had skis for some of the descents, so I was thinking about keeping my skis here in Austria and then going over to Italy touring for a weekend this summer at some point. Worth it, or should I take the skis back to Scotland for late Spring stuff there (can't bring them back out in Summer, as I'll be bringing my kayak)?
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:

Where do you get these ridiculous stats from?

The west always gets dumped on does it? http://www.direct-2you.com/valdez-alaska-snow-conditions-worst-in-30-years/
ski holidays
clarky999, We're planning a trip to Gran Paradiso end of May. Hike with trainers on up to the hut (2800m) and ski boots from there. Tried last year in October without skis but got stuck in waist deep snow and had to come down.
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

The west always gets dumped on does it? http://www.direct-2you.com/valdez-alaska-snow-conditions-worst-in-30-years/

Read it and weep, son wink
latest report
Forbes Travel, in Dec 2007, listed the top 20 snowiest ski resorts in the world. Along with their annual snowfall in inches, here's who made the cut. Not a European resort in sight:

•Mr. Baker Ski Area, Washington: 641"
•Niseko resort, Japan 595"
•Alta Ski Area, Utah: 525"
•Alyeska Resort, Alaska: 513"
•Kirkwood Mountain Resort, California: 473"
•Stevens Pass, Washington: 471"
•Sugar Bowl, California: 464"
•Grand Targhee Resort, Wyoming: 463"
•Snowbird Ski Resort, Utah: 461"
•Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Resort, Oregon: 430"
•Whistler Blackcomb Ski Resort, BC: 407"
•Powder Mountain, Utah: 400"
•Solitude, Utah: 399"
•Whitewater Resort, BC: 397"
•Boreal Mountain Resort, California: 395"
•Crystal Mountain, Washington: 390"
•Mt. Washington, BC: 383"
•Brighton Resort, Utah: 381"
•Wolf Creek, Colorado: 379"
•Fernie Alpine Resort, BC: 369"
latest report
In terms of snowfall it has I think been a poor season across much of the Alps. And the Northern French Alps have probably suffered more than most.

Of course it's quite a different thing to say that this means that your own season may have been poor. Some weeks were better than others and if you timed it right (through luck or planning) then there were some great conditions to be found on and off piste.

And as others have said what are good conditions for some are poor for others. Endless heavy snow really puts some people off, a week of blue sky will disappoint others.

In terms of average snowfall. It swings about a lot. Some years of course it will be better on one side of the Atlantic than the other.

Here are some comparative stats taken from Outside magazine (no idea where they got them) showing average annual snowfall in inches.

Alta/Snowbird 500-550"
Jackson Hole 400"
Squaw Valley 400"
Val D'Isere 360"
Whistler 360"
Fernie 360"
St Anton 330"
Chamonix 300"
Verbier 300"
La Grave 300"
Aspen 300"
Crested Butte 280"

Now I don't think that many of the European areas in that list have had anything like that amount of snowfall this year (Salzburg has for example had half its seasonal snowfall) and it's been a particularly good year for many US areas. So this season is not a very useful one to make a comparison. But certainly if Chamonix or the Arlberg for example were getting snowfall at or above their average levels then I would certainly go there from the UK rather than take the extra time and money to cross the Atlantic.

This year... If I had had the chance to be skiing in California or Utah... And with the benefit of hindsight and if it cost the same... then I'd probably have gone to the US. But that is too many ifs and as it happened I had a lot of fun skiing in Europe. Was it a good year for snow in most of the Alps though? No. Did I have fun. Yes.
snow conditions
Whitegold, but that does not of course mean there is not amazing skiing to be had most years in the Alps. Fortunately assuming average or close to average snowfall the quality of your experience is likely to be dictated by the timing of your arrival (just after snowfall when the sun comes out works quite well) as much as how many inches annual snowfall falls...
ski holidays
The use of annual snowfall figures is very simplistic. What about distribution of snowfall, does it come in a few big dumps, all in the spring? Does heavy snow mean string winds, avi risk, what base does the terrain need to be skiable, how much rain and wet snow does a resort get, how many ski bums in legendary resorts track out fresh powder within hours. From experience I think europe is better infrastructure for bad snow years in terms of snow making. Last time I was in Fernie I think there was one snow machine, I know only too well resorts like this can get terrible (read warm rain) mid winter weather. Check out this site for what looks like a good analysis of NA snowfall, http://www.bestsnow.net the authors comments make interesting reading.
ski holidays
Whitegold, That'd be the US Forbes magazine using a US weather resource would it?

Where To Ski and Snowboard has Snowbird at 13.3, Snowbird at 11.7, Whistler at 10m, Winter Park (Colorado's snowiest) at 5.5m while Zurs is 10.4m, Obertauern 9m, Avoriaz 8m and Val Thorens, Tignes, Cervinia between 6 and 7.
snow conditions
Courchevel snow history (from the official website):

Total season snowfall totals:

02/03- At 1850m: 364cm. At 2700m: 502cm

03/04- At 1850m: 472cm. At 2700m: 629cm

04/05- At 1850m: 452cm. At 2700m: 555cm

05/06- At 1850m: 508cm. At 2700m: 667cm

06/07- At 1850m: 435cm. At 2700m: 596cm

07/08- At 1850m: 507cm. At 2700m: 586cm

08/09- At 1850m: 411cm. At 2700m: 485cm

09/10- At 1850m: 327cm. At 2700m: 462cm

10/11- At 1850m: 178cm. At 2700m: 208cm (excluding April)

So, Courchevel's average annual snowfall (excluding this season) is 434cm at 1850m and even at 2700m it is only 560cm. So, taking the mean of those 2 figures, I would say 5 metres is the correct estimate. Whistler-Blackcomb's average annual snowfall (source: www.whistlerblackcomb.com) is DOUBLE this and Snowbird's average annual snowfall is 2.5 times higher. By the way, I am using the stats for Courchevel as the Three Valleys is a very popular destination and they actually make their snowfall history public which a lot of European resorts don't.

Having skied in Canada, America, France and Switzerland during the last decade, I can say from personal experience that if you are looking for good snow that is lift-served (no walking for 3 hours for a 10 minute run), then get yourselves to North America or Japan! I mean, where in Europe can you REGULARLY do the kind of skiing on this Whistler video? (Not mine sadly, but enjoy.)

Then And Now: A Midseason Edit from Sh!t Outta Luck
http://player.vimeo.com/video/21515071
latest report
Whitegold, please stop referring to people that you don't know as "son". It's immensely patronising.

I think, as OP, that we're right off topic. Point was that for most tourists to France, most of the season has not been the unmitigated disaster that the UK media and many websites have suggestsed.

Not an argument that you never get rained on in Whistler nor that the East coast of the US gets loads of powder.
ski holidays
snowprincess, the main thing I would take from those figures is how well below average for snowfall this season has been compared to the last eight. Well below 50% at resort and on top.

I've skied a fair bit in Japan and Europe in the last ten years. I would without doubt say that the snowfall in Japan is both heavier (in quantity) and lighter (in quality) than that you will find in Europe.

I'd also say that year after year I've enjoyed great conditions in the Alps. This year has been mixed, but despite the poor conditions I've enjoyed myself. But I would hardly call it representative of snowfall in the Alps.

I wouldn't dispute that there are places in North America and Japan which get more annual snowfall. But I'm not sure that means you can't regularly find good lift serviced snow in the Alps most seasons.
snow conditions
Quote:

There will always be something to ski on these days and that's pretty much all we ask.

Nicely put! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

So, taking the mean of those 2 figures, I would say 5 metres is the correct estimate. Whistler-Blackcomb's average annual snowfall (source: www.whistlerblackcomb.com) is DOUBLE this and Snowbird's average annual snowfall is 2.5 times higher.

So you're saying that Whistler gets a similar amount of snow to the Arlberg. With the Arlberg being much bigger and having more terrain, I think I'll be going there.

----------

Quoting snowfall data form resorts doesn't work, they're biased (would liars be a step too far?), and most don't say where they collected the data from.
ski holidays
the major concern is that given this bumper season in the states, they will now all believe they have the right to dictate the type of product the European Manufacturers create, thus forth we'll be skiing even wider, bent backwards shorter skis with absolutely shite boots, a la BD.
Please, let the Europeans get on with what they've done for years, even Bob Lange was really a Cockney. Toofy Grin
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
clarky999, We're planning a trip to Gran Paradiso end of May. Hike with trainers on up to the hut (2800m) and ski boots from there. Tried last year in October without skis but got stuck in waist deep snow and had to come down.

Sweet, looking forward to the TR wink Have you got any info about the hut please?
ski holidays
My mates bought me a Gran Paradiso Hut T Shirt I'll have a look at it when I get back as I'm sure there's a web address on it

And as has been said before if the US is so fecking good why do a % come to LG over Alaska / US etc, case in point being a certain Doug Coombes (RIP)

Been up to Puy St Vincent today and my other half said she was the only person on the chair and then the piste, but soooooooo warm!
latest report
i guess my memory of this season will be mixed. We had a great time and were pretty much able to ski the whole mountain in last week of Jan in freezing, dry conditions. If was the season that was saved by cannons in my book, without them running literally 24/7 in the espace diamant while we were out there, i can't imagine they have stayed open as late as they end up doing. Having skied the same couple of weeks in January for the last 10-12 years in the same area of close by, its the depth of snowpack which was so alarming. There just hasn't been regular 20-50cm dumps of snow.

Having skied east and west coast, i'm not sure the arguement on quality stands either, I've had frankly shite snow in Lake Louise twice now and literally every liftie apologised for it as you boarded the chairlifts. Whistler it rained down low and dropped wet sticky stuff higher up. Then we enjoyed boilerplate in St Saveur in Quebec last February.

--However--

I can guarantee i had fun in every one of them. They weren't vintage powder days but it doesnt matter, skiing is like golf, you only need a couple of decent shots (or memorable runs) to equal a good week in my book.

Lets hope its a cooler summer with some good precipitation otherwise the european glaciers will really retreat with no winter to attempt to top them up for a hot summer.

Cheers
David
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

And as has been said before if the US is so fecking good why do a % come to LG over Alaska / US etc, case in point being a certain Doug Coombes (RIP)

'cos there is no lift in the world like LG (and its really a tiny % of US skiers that come over to LG, CHX etc beyond the 1 week tourists). Plus big lines big consequences, iconic status etc etc.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Read it and weep, son wink

Whitegold - Where did u cut and paste that rubbish from - oh forgot if it is on wikip then it must be true!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 5-04-11 22:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Whitegold, please stop referring to people that you don't know as "son". It's immensely patronising.

Under a new name - Well said wink
latest report
Well I've had three ski holidays in Europe this season (yeah I know, lucky me) and all have been brilliant.

First week of the season in La Plagne - a bit icy to start with, then we had about 30cm of snow towards the end of the week and conditions were great.

Zell Am See, end of January - it snowed a lot the week before we arrived and conditions were still excellent (helped by snow cannons) AND it was mild.

Tignes last week - lovely and warm, loads of snow (including a mid-week dump), and sun-soaked lunches outside.

Happy days.

Yes, maybe all the seasonaires and powder hounds might think it's been crap, but for a lowly gaper tourist like me who skis mostly on piste, I'd say all three weeks have been up there with my best ski holidays ever.
ski holidays
Weathercam, are the conditions in PSV and Montgenvre the same as Serre Chevalier ? Staying in PSV for a long w/e tomorrow and will have a Galaxy pass and a car.
latest report
leedsunited wrote:
Whitegold - Where did u cut and paste that rubbish from - oh forgot if it is on wikip then it must be true!

It was in Forbes, son.

One of the world's most respected media outlets wink
snow conditions
Quote:

It was in Forbes, son.

There you go again. You sound like one of the jaikies in my local. Are you trying to blag a wee half?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy