Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: The season hasn't been that bad really. Discuss.

Poster: A snowHead
Been to the Tarentaise several times this winter and just back and been dying to post a reply , simple answer Yes ,

2 metres of Snow v's 5 metre average has left hardy covered and rocky off piste , on Glaciers normally bridged cravasses unbridged , skiing spring snow in Jan !!! and after the recent heatwave the mountains looking like June rather than early April , forcing even the high resorts to close way earlier than usual .

That Bad Oh yes , Sad Sad Sad

Without snowmaking it could have been even worse .
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

forcing even the high resorts to close way earlier than usual .

Which high resorts? As far as I am aware, Tignes and Val Thorens will close as planned and so will we. The only early closure I can think of in a major resort is Alpe d'Huez, which will nonetheless be open for Easter weekend.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many - perhaps the majority - of French resorts will have had to close early this year and some (particularly the Jura resorts i suspect) have had a very bad year indeed. The most southern resorts seem to have done better but almost all of Chamonix is closed, much of the PDS, Megeve has been closed for a while, the majority of Courmayeur (yes, I know that's in italy) much of Les Arcs etc etc. When I got the deposits back on our passes Christelle, who has been working in our lift pass office since at least 2002 said she was going to lose a month of work this season, which is bad news for her, as summer employment won't start for a while. The same goes for pisteurs, instructors etc. Certainly a bad year for them - the driver of our "navette" told me that the guy who runs the lifts had told him that this was the first time in 30 years they'd had to close the entire domain several weeks early.

So yes, some of the pistes in some of the "highest" resorts are still in good, or passable, nick. But it's difficult to argue against the contention that this has been a bad year for snow, overall, and the astonishingly high temperatures of the last few weeks were the last straw.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w,
Quote:

When I got the deposits back on our passes

do you not keep them and just renew next year?
When we got the bill for our snow clearance in the driveway for this past season it had been reduced by 20% which I suppose was a nice gesture as I can't think that he has been round to clear it very many times - apart from the three times in one day back in December - good old December, it snowed then!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

do you not keep them and just renew next year?

could do, but it's simpler just to get the 2 euros back - I generally send for the passes by post, in November, and it saves having to keep track of the damned things until then!
Besides, the 2 euros for each pass are then in my bank account. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, yes I can understand that. We usually use ours and get tickets during the summer -
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
do you think it is worth making an easter trip this year? just thinking of a last minute weekend to somewhere like Tignes or VT as its got to be cheap
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GFYGC, reports are that Tignes is still good, and it's getting colder and might snow some more - so why not?

won't be cheap though, and might be a bit busy as so many other places are closed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went to samoens and portes du soliel in Jan and it was okish. Saintefoy, Val, tignes, les arcs and la thuile in feb and had some amazing conditions for around a week. Then have come back from Val disere a coupl of weekends ago and it was okish, least my tan was good. It was better than being at work but it wasn't a great season, warm and with little snowfall. The pisteurs did a Great job but it never felt like a ski resort with it being cold and snowy somehow the atmosphere wasn't right. For most, me included it was ok and you ould always ski but the powder hounds and hardcore off piste dudes will of had a disappointing season.

9 months to new snow. Let's hope for. Good year next year.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yesterday in La Plagne
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing, and you can still ski down to Montalbert 1350m !!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
GFYGC, reports are that Tignes is still good, and it's getting colder and might snow some more - so why not?

won't be cheap though, and might be a bit busy as so many other places are closed.

Well, it might be, but most of the world is put off by doom mongers. Last week it was the emptiest ski resort I've ever skied in. I did once have to queue - for five minutes for the Vanoise lift which goes between halfway down the Grand Motte and the top(ish).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
James the Last, doom mongers haven't put off the world and his dog from the remaining skiing here in Les Arcs. OH reports that Aiguille Rouge/Grand Col very very busy this morning, more so than Monday when I was there and it was bad enough then. Lift passes €33/day Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

most of the world is put off by doom mongers

Not so - we're quite busy this week.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK, wont be put off by the doom mogers. Just had a look at flights - about £300 from london depending on the airline, a bit higher than I thought. I saw that that Ski Club GB are selling flights - I am not a member but do they do that kind of thing?? I am awlays a bit careful about who I book with and usually try and book direct
latest report
GFYGC, while we are in France at the mo and didn't consider cancelling our trip, I would think twice about paying £300 for flights in the current snow conditions Confused
snow conditions
I suggest looking for a package. Should be possible to get your catering and transfers and accommodation as well as the flights for little over £300.

Here you go. £199 for an entire week's skiing. Add a pass for £200, and ski hire for £70-90 and you're away.

http://www.skiworld.ltd.uk/ski/chalet-holiday/skiing-Tignes/2100A/90
snow report
Worst snowfall for 62 years in La Plagne apparently.
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:

This is generally where Boredsurfing turns up and posts a picture showing 10m deep untracked powder, with nobody in sight.
ski holidays
Switzerland had some nice snow fall in March.

http://youtube.com/v/oF_-95QHZ58
latest report
Dr John wrote:

Where did you hear that? In La Plagne the locals are saying 1993 was worse for snow conditions.
snow report
Boredsurfing, it's widely reported that across the French alps it's the driest winter for many years, ranging from 40-60. That's not taking into account the increased coverage in snow making, therefore improving skiing conditions, just the stuff falling out of the sky.

"What's more, Tuesday night's storm barely touched the northern French resorts, which are in a threadbare state below about 2500m. They were already having a mediocre winter - the driest since 1949, in fact" - http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=520
http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/1007-worst-winter-for-a-generation-in-french-alps/
http://www.vertigoguides.com/post/news/21-springtime-arrives-early/en
ski holidays
Yep, and we are still skiing all the way back down to Montalbert at 1350m terrible innit!
snow report
You should all take your winter holidays as well as summer on the Cote d'Azur.

- I cant remember such an amazing winter's snow in the last 7 years I've been skiing -- and it snowed again yesterday.

20 degrees tomorrow -- Ski or Boat ? Mmmhhh wink It is mid-April after all

And, yes; Isola, Auron, Valberg etc. are in the French Alps Shocked
latest report
Dr John, reading that report, I can indeed confirm that it was very warm in Grenoble on 8th January. We stayed there overnight, and were still sitting outside at 11pm. However, by 11.30 am the next morning we were in a much colder Monetier (around 3C I think) with rain that turned to snow as the day progressed, waking to deep powder the following morning.

snowHead .

Rain turning to snow on arrival day has been the theme to this winter for us. The same happened in March when the off-piste bash was arriving.
snow report
The French mountain ranges currently have the worst snow cover ever recorded during April.
snow report
Whitegold, Yawn .. re-posting the same articles quoted earlier with increasingly GRAND and STUPID headlines does not make the facts more accurate. rolling eyes
latest report
Well it's a fairly accurate representation of much of the northern Alps, I suspect, and you would expect meteo France to be in a pretty good position to get its facts right.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre wrote:
Whitegold, Yawn .. re-posting the same articles quoted earlier with increasingly GRAND and STUPID headlines does not make the facts more accurate. rolling eyes

pam w is right.

The facts are good.

Get used to it, son wink
snow conditions
Worst season I have ever seen as far as snow fall goes, however still managed to find a few good turns.

Back to Japan next winter, their junk winters are like epic winters in the alps.

NehNeh
snow report
Can't make comparitive judgements but I was in Val Thorens last Fri for a quick look and it was 12 deg C at midday at 2300m. Not f..ing good. In moutiers in the valley it was 28 deg C at 4pm. Not a stitch of snow on any slopes pointing any where near south. Lot of snow up at VT -where it has been manufatured or shovelled- but it was like yesterday's ice cream. Ski from 7am or earlier but you will have to hike.
ski holidays
Whitegold, so it's been a poor season. So what? It happens. It's not the worst I've seen either.

mcspreader, if you don't like skiing squishy snow, get a snowboard. I've had plenty of fun over the past couple of weeks.
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
Dr John wrote:

This is generally where Boredsurfing turns up and posts a picture showing 10m deep untracked powder, with nobody in sight.

Today in La Plagne snowHead

latest report
Boredsurfing, Toofy Grin
snow report
Boredsurfing & Agenterre, what is your objection to a discussion on the very obvious fact that this year has had substantially less snow than others? You seem to be taking it as a personal insult, which is an odd stance to say the least.
snow report
Dr John, I don't see either of them taking that attitude. Agenterre is just reporting that his region of the Alps has done rather better than usual, and that is is wrong to lump the whole of the Alps as a disaster.
snow report
Hells Bells, fair enough, I read Agenterre as denying the bald facts that France, taken as a whole, hasn't had a good season and Boredsurfing as posting selective photies in an attempt to represent La Plagne as somehow having a good season, which is counter to every other report I've read or heard.
ski holidays
Dr John, I doubt you will have heard that much about the snow in Provence. Isola 2000 is still reporting 175cm snow at 2600m, compared to 80cm in Morzine.
latest report
Dr John, Sorry you mis-read what I wrote. Just correcting those who have been saying that the entire 'French Alps ' have had the worst season ever and those suggesting that current conditions are the worst ever across the entire Alps (even where quoted articles/sources do NOT say that) . I have no idea what 'other bits' of the French Alps looks like, nor suggest the Southern Alps are significant nor representative.

Beginning to disappear very fast down here ... but then it is/has been 25 degrees on the coast and very much past when you would expect these kind of snow depths at 2350m, in my limited experience.
snow report
Agenterre, Hells Bells, phew, glad we cleared that up. I've been eyeing the recent pictures from Isola 2000 thinking "oh, you lucky so and so's".
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy