Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Will I be cold if I don't wear a jacket?" Stupid/Funny questions.

Poster: A snowHead
holidayloverxx wrote:
James the Last, are you serious? both sides will get equal contact - the inside becomes the outside on the next turn

Only if your weight is evenly spread between the two skis. On the assumption that wear goes as the square of the weight, and on the assumption that you have a weight ratio of 2:1 between your legs, the inside edges will blunt at four times the rate of the outside ones. My suspicion is that the difference is even greater.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx wrote:
put my uphill ski on first

Yes! Did that this weekend rolling eyes, while cathy waited for me to come to my senses and sort myself out Toofy Grin

She wasn't taking any chances on the next excursion though, saying firmly, 'And this time don't forget to put your downhill ski on first!' Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
James the Last wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
James the Last, are you serious? both sides will get equal contact - the inside becomes the outside on the next turn

Only if your weight is evenly spread between the two skis. On the assumption that wear goes as the square of the weight, and on the assumption that you have a weight ratio of 2:1 between your legs, the inside edges will blunt at four times the rate of the outside ones. My suspicion is that the difference is even greater.

I get the theory here, but actually, on the hire skis I was using at the weekend I don't think there was any difference at all Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On the Sea to Sky highway, winding our way up to WB, and my mate, who's on his first ever trip is quizzing the rep about the many bars and clubs.

"What's the dress code?" He asks.

"Warm." She says.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

both sides will get equal contact - the inside becomes the outside on the next turn

but the inside edge of the downhill ski gets way more loading thru'the turn, so will wear more...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is this movie for real?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1859462/plotsummary
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
James the Last, gra, Yeah, I changed my mind after heidiky explained
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So, a good ski rotation system is key to edge ware equalisation. Left foot one day right foot the next. Cool now my edges will last wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I first started skiing I borrowed my mothers old skis and played about in the field behind the house... ski down walk up...
I signed up to get some leasons at school aged 8....
The PE teacher was trying to put me in the correct class so...

question number one: have you ever skied before?
answer: yes

Question number 2: can you go up tows?
I thought he was asking me if "I could go up toes" ie some sort of jump turn Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:
"How do I know which ski is for the left and right foot?"

A perfectly sensible question if you are using asymmetrical skis like ScottyBob's Bobtail design skis. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque wrote:
DB wrote:
"How do I know which ski is for the left and right foot?"

Mine ARE actually marked 'L' and 'R' . . .

but I do tele AND have put them on the wrong feet Embarassed

Laughing Laughing

That post reminds me of a friend we were skiing with last year....We were all getting our boots on & were heading out the door, when I realised his feet just didn't look quite right. He'd actually managed to put his boots on the wrong feet Laughing Laughing

I fell about laughing at the time, but then regretted it - it would have been even funnier to watch him put his skis on.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My thoughts on starting this thread were triggered by questions to do with hosting/guiding guests on-piste (which I've worked a couple of seasons doing). It's not aimed at poking fun at beginners but people who should know better (Although some statements/questions defy logic, even from a beginners standpoint).

This exchange took place before taking a group of "ski confidently on reds".

Guest: Will you be taking us off-piste?

Me: No. I'm not qualified or insured to take you off-piste.

Guest: Can we go off-piste?

Me: Sure, if you've got the right insurance.

Guest: What do you mean? Like life insurance.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
genepi wrote:

That post reminds me of a friend we were skiing with last year....We were all getting our boots on & were heading out the door, when I realised his feet just didn't look quite right. He'd actually managed to put his boots on the wrong feet Laughing Laughing

I fell about laughing at the time, but then regretted it - it would have been even funnier to watch him put his skis on.

was this him?

http://youtube.com/v/GrQ_KvnaWTI
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alternatively it could well be stupid answer:

Stranger to me: Excuse me, can you tell me where this lift goes
Me to stranger: Up
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jzBun, perhaps he was making a joke? I laughed...
snow report
red 27, I nearly wet myself laughing but no, he wasn't joking.
snow conditions
Iski wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
put my uphill ski on first

Yes! Did that this weekend rolling eyes, while cathy waited for me to come to my senses and sort myself out Toofy Grin

She wasn't taking any chances on the next excursion though, saying firmly, 'And this time don't forget to put your downhill ski on first!' Laughing

Laughing Laughing the first time I didn't know whether to remind you to put your downhill ski on first, but then potentially embarrass you in front of everyone. Or whether to stay quiet & just let you embarrass yourself wink Laughing
latest report
cathy, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Nothing to do with the thread subject, but the downhill-ski-first thing gets complicated on steep slopes: you have to place the first ski (or both if you aren't holding one) on the uphill side and cross your downhill foot over.
snow conditions
Quote:

Why the question mark?

because you implied you would always put the skis on the same feet, which struck me as a bit odd. I have some skis with graphics which go across (Line) but it never occurred to me to keep wearing them on the same feet. If that was advisable (is it?) you could just stick a bit of electric tape on one of any kind of skis, regardless of graphics.

Quote:

try to clip into closed bindings

I think that's something not sufficiently stressed - I don't think any instructor (and I've had a few..... wink) has ever told me to check, after an accidental release, that the bindings were open.

I stopped recently to help a child who had fallen and lost a ski - father was down the slope. He was a game little lad, and had been trying to put the ski on, without opening the binding. His dad - despite skiing so far ahead that walking back up would have been a mission (why do they do this????????????????) - had clearly not explained what to do. I was rewarded with a lovely smile and "merci madame". Dear little thing. Little Angel
snow report
"clipping into closed bindings"

Is actually perfectly possible on every pair of skis I've ever had - it never seems to make any difference to me. Though certainly mechanical sympathy indicates one should open them.

Definitely makes sense to put skis on the same feet every time, then you know you've got a fresh pair of edges if you need them.
snow report
James the Last wrote:

Is actually perfectly possible on every pair of skis I've ever had .

Puzzled
How? If the rear binding remains in the closed position it isn't possible. I think you mean if the rear binding released (rather than the front, sideways-releasing one).
snow report
Quote:
I think you mean...

What makes you think you know what I mean. Try it! It is perfectly possible with the rear binding in the closed position.
ski holidays
I have tried, by accident, quite a number of times. Failed, felt stupid, reset them.

Video proof or it didn't happen.
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
Definitely makes sense to put skis on the same feet every time, then you know you've got a fresh pair of edges if you need them.

What a great point & I have never made that connection !!

My (symmetrical) piste skis were prestickered L & R by Conrad Sports & I have always clipped into them like that. After over 100 days on them, the underfoot war damage is significantly more obvious on their inside edges despite my quite rigorous and regular attention with edging tools.

It's now logged in my brain. Thanks. Little Angel
latest report
James the Last wrote:
Quote:
I think you mean...

What makes you think you know what I mean. Try it! It is perfectly possible with the rear binding in the closed position.

Just tried it on some Fischer x14's and it doesn't work (unsurprisingly), are you sure your bindings are set up correctly re size and forward pressure adjustment?
My feeling is if you could get get your boot in in this position you could just as easily step out
snow report
You learn something new every day! Never thought of "preserving a decent set of edges" that way. Do many people do that? Something for next season, maybe.

However, I absolutely don't buy stepping into closed bindings.
snow conditions
Is there anywhere a richer mine of information than snowHeads? Brilliant. Thank you, James the Last! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Friend to me (In first restaurant in Alpe d'Huez):

"What's the French for omelette ?"
ski holidays
I think Swirly posted this here some time ago. We were both there when it happened:

Verbier, Easter weekend.

Guy "We were skiing this amazing powder in a nature reserve and saw these Chamonix."

Girl with annoying voice: "What are Chamonix?"

Guy "I think they're those goat things."

Girl "Oh so that's what Chamonix means, never knew that"
latest report
Last time I posted that helpful hint I was laughed at for skiing like a Haggis, always going round a mountain clockwise...

betterinblack, always seem fine. Rental skis of course.
snow report
Despite previously never being able to get my boot into a closed binding I thought I should check....
No, it isn't possible. Neither my touring bindings or my old normal ones. Not sure how you can manage it .... Very strange, it shouldn't be possible.
snow conditions
snowball, if it was possible, I'd be straight down to the shop to get it fixed. No way would I ski in them.
ski holidays
Push heel backwards at 30 degree angle and attempt to hook under maybe ? Can't try it myself as no skis / boots here.
snow report
Just putting skis into bindings in a perfectly normal fashion, toes in first, then heels at back, but without having to open them.

I take the comments of the assembled company and if it ever happens again I shall take the skis back.
snow conditions
And now, back to the stupid questions.....
ski holidays
Guest: "Which way do I go when I get off the chairlift?"

Me: "Go left off the chair. There's only one piste down from that chair"

Guest: "So which way is that?"

Me: "Errm, down".

I'm not a rep but friends, that I've skied with for years, have asked me this! Same friends can find their way round the mountain but once you are the person telling them which way to go they just turn off their brains.
snow report
Definatley possible to step into closed bindings... bit of brute force and a crappy rental binding and you're in!
ski holidays
This is quite probably the best argument I have heard yet for owning one's own skis.

snowHead
snow report
heidiky wrote:
bit of brute force and a crappy rental binding and you're in!

...or out! Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy